A Disney Golden Surprise!!

mblc14

Mouseketeer
Welcome!!! We just got back from a super fun and super fast trip to the world. The reason behind this, our 3rd trip as a family, was our DDs 12th birthday on Dec. 12th. Her Golden birthday. And the super hard part about all of this was we planned on surprising the kids for this one.. It was extremely painful at times when trying to plans meals, fastpass + and what not without her help. She is the one that is a little Disney crazy like myself...:) First some introductions are in order.... Me...Mike. 36 year old former HS baseball/football coach that is now in administration at my high school in the town that me and the Mrs grew up in and where are families still are today. I get the privilege of ending our planner because, well, I love planning trips and having people ask him for some help either their plans. There is just solo much that people don't know or get about DW and the needs to be some research done first or it could be a miserable and frustrating experience trying to figure it all out. DW...Billie. Won't mention the age....;) She recently went from being an Elementary SPED teacher in our district to having her very own 2nd grade classroom this Fall. She enjoys it, but it's like being a first year teacher all over again. Fun times. Loves Disney and tolerates me with my obsession with it and often refers to me as Clarke Griswald while we are on vacation. DD....LG. My now almost teenaged daughter.....sigh. She loves talking Disney with me and what we should do and where to go for our next trip. Even if we know it may be super far off. So taking with her wasn't too bad when I was planning for this trip, but had to be really careful on how much I was asking. So tough. She is soooo into volleyball know and it is awesome to see her want to practice and a do more with it. Nice to see how much she is loving it right now. Everything else she has ever done from softball to play the violin had been just ok for her. But volleyball seems to be her thing for now.
da45ab3a26c2bcf1f6c5ddd1b77373f0_zps23673f47.jpg
DS....Chance. Fun loving, wears his heart on his sleeve, Star Wars loving boy. His personality has really popped over the past couple if years and it has been so fun ywatching that happen. He is like me in the fact that We. Hate. Fast. Rides. I know, I know. We are wimps. And perfectly ok with that !!
a210b481883dac935c336d58846d5137_zpsddd2ff0d.jpg
Ok, some background on the surprise before I show the video. We live in Iowa and the closest airport is Des Moines. And even though they have SouthWest airlines now, we would much rather fly out of Kansas City because they have non stop flights to MCO. That's around a 3.5 hour drive for us, and that's not awful. So, we visited KC last year for a quick weekend getaway and came across the Great Wolf Lodge water park there. We didnt go there then, but told them that may be something we could some other time. Well, to keep the secret as long as possible when driving to KC, we told them that we were going to Great Wolf Lodge for LGs birthday. They were excited and we fake planned for that as much as possible. So we drove down on Wednesday evening after school and told them we were staying at a different hotel since we wouldn't be getting in until late, and we would go to the Lodge when we got up on Thursday morning. We wrestled with how to do it a million times and almost caved that last week before the trip. But I think we pulled it off rather well... Ok, we'll stop here for today. I attempted a PTR for this trip, but was not very good at keeping up on it. I won't promise daily updates, but will be sure to check in and post any replies if anyone wants to read along for our fast and furious 2.5 day trip to our favorite place in the world!

LOVED your daughters reaction. I get just as excited when I go and Im 24. Cant wait to read about your trip!

What a great video! I'm subscribed and looking forward to reading about your trip.

Reserved for when I figure out how to post the links for the updates....it will happen....:rolleyes2

Travel Day Part 1

The surprise had been revealed, but now it was time to try and get them to sleep...and me too!!! #imtooexcitedtosleep

Always hate the packing part of this when going from the Midwest in the winter to Orlando. Gotta dress warm for the morning, but have some clothes to change into when we get there to be comfortable. We could always not do ME and just bring out luggage directly with us...but whats the fun in that?!?

Ok...showers done and kids in bed and they actually did really well getting to sleep. Had a 7:30 flight out of KC, so had to be up early and they were awesome about getting up and around, they knew what was coming! Easily one of the quickest times they were up and around and time to leave this Hotel and get to the airport!!

We love the KC airport, so simple to get around, TSA lines are usually short and quick to get through. Came across this fun shirt in a giftstore. Sister in law, that was housesitting and taking care of our animals while we were gone, works in a meatpacking facility and her job is actually working with pig butts...and she loves rap, so we thought this was perfect for her...

Had enough time for a quick bite at BK in the airport before our journey through security, which Chance was beginning to be worried about and asking a ton of questions. He just gets nervous for those kinds of things, hes such a rule follower and wants to make sure to do the right thing. He didnt help that LG was feeding into this and saying things that might happen if he didnt do something right....gotta love big sisters.:sad2:

BK was in our bellies and it was time to head off

Security was a breeze, Billie didnt even get selected for any special lines to go through like she usually does. It might be one of the first times that she has been able to just walk through the regular scanner with us. She was quite surprised.

So now its time to wait for about an hour to board...so what else do you now? Of course, cell phone, kindle, cell phone time....what did we do before we all had these....:confused3

Time flew by and finally time to board. If you havent flown Southwest, they board you in groups and their rows of seats are 3 seats by 3 seats. So we always know that we will not all be in the same row. Which is fine, just as long as a kid gets one adult with them. I never pay the extra $$ to be in pre-boarding or group A, so we were in Group B and were able to be in rows next to each other in the very back, which we dont mind at all. LG was with me and Chance with Billie.

LG got some really good pics when we got up above the clouds and the sun was just breaking through....I'll have to see if I can get her to send me one.

Storm trooper attack

Gotta love the flight tracker when the "How much longer questions" start

Pretty uneventful flight and absolutely fine with that!! Hello Orlando...off to the fake Monorail!!

Ok, time to head to ME and board a hopefully Disney bus and not a big yellow Mears bus.

Hope everyone has a great Friday!! Day 1 of Semester tests at our high school. Lots of nervous kiddos ready for break and hope they all studied. Always a little stressful around our building during these!!

Hey Mike! I am here!!!

Love following along with your family and your trips!!! Cant' wait to hear about this one!

And I loved the video - it was awesome!!!

Can't wait to hear about the rest of it! :)

D~

Hey Mike! I am here!!!

Love following along with your family and your trips!!! Cant' wait to hear about this one!

And I loved the video - it was awesome!!!

Can't wait to hear about the rest of it! :)

D~

Hello D~!!! Thanks for following along...again!! You should know that I am still reading your TR every morning, just havent been commenting lately. Just know that I am reading along and enjoy hearing about the fam.

Following along! Looking forward to the TR.

Welcome HikingBelle!! Glad to have you along for the journey!!

Day 1 Part 2

We had just landed at MCO and since we were at the back of the airplane, we were the last ones off. We really couldnt care less, we knew which way we needed to go and with this quick trip had decided to take things slow and not rush. It was often hard, but we did do pretty good at this.

So we got to the fake monorail and got to listen to the Mayor talk about everything there was to do in Orlando....the kids got a kick out of this and laughed about it. I mean I know people travel there for business, but Im guessing the majority of people know what they are going to do....:thumbsup2

MCO was looking good, decorated all up for the Holidays.

This always feels like such a long walk to me, it reality it isnt all that bad. But, even as we were taking things slow, LG and I, and even Chance this time around just wanted on the bus. We had put on our magicbands before we even left KC and were ready to use them here for the first time. (We really did enjoy these, hardly any issues with them. But the first several times we left the room, I found myself stopping and wondering if I had the tickets/room key card for everyone like I was used to carrying on previous trips.) The kids loved being able to unlock the room door and we had to remember whose turn it was each time we came back to the room.

So after the short, long walk, we made it to ME and I know its only our 3rd trip, but this has been different every time. First time we checked with the booklet they send you, the next time they just ushered us to the line we needed for the resort we were heading and didnt check anything. And this time, use the MB. Mickey head to Mickey head and wait til it turns green.

Patiently waiting for our bus

No yellow Mears bus this time, or a Cruise line one.

When we boarded the bus, the first 2 rows had paper on them saying that they were reserved. So we were able to get the 2nd row.

Chance and I were photobombed...

We waited a good 20 minutes or so before we were full enough to head off. And right before we did, the bus driver removed the reserved paper from the first row and the last family to board got the first row. Thought that was a pretty good idea. During the wait, they were playing Classic Disney cartoons and the kids love these. We have a couple of the "Have a Laugh" DVDs at home. Well, once we got on our way, the driver started the "new" video. Didnt take too long before LG said she didnt like this one as well as the old one and then Chance said he wanted the cartoons back on...:)

Being up front, we were able to get this pic again tho, and pic of the new video...

It wasnt too much longer and we were at our first stop, Caribbean Beach, to drop off others before we were off to our resort. At least there was only 1 before ours, last time when we were at Bay Lake, I think we were the last of the monorail resorts to be dropped. But, it is nice to see other resorts that you normally wouldnt have otherwise.

About half the bus got off at CBR and a quick 5 minutes later (which I was also surprised at how many people had their luggage with them when they got on ME, I guess everyone does not use the yellow tags. I do understand why, but I just really like not having to lug that stuff around the airport and to the room), we were off to the....

Hope everyone is having a great weekend, and of course have all of your Christmas shopping done!! We only have a couple of things wrapped so far, thanks to LG. We still have plenty of work to do and we still have 2 days of school before break!!!

Great update. You guys made it. The Magical Express trip is always so exciting! We loved the Boardwalk when we stayed there so I'm interested to hear what you all think of it.

Looking forward to following along! I don't get why people would want to lug around bags if they don't have to- l wish I had someone for when we get BACK to get my luggage home for me (and washed haha)

Stopping by to wish you a...

Merry Christmas!

Disney-Christmas-disney-32956752-1024-768.jpg

D~

Great update. You guys made it. The Magical Express trip is always so exciting! We loved the Boardwalk when we stayed there so I'm interested to hear what you all think of it.

I really love the Boardwalk area in general. We werent there very much this trip, but would love to go back and have more time to hangout there.

Looking forward to following along! I don't get why people would want to lug around bags if they don't have to- l wish I had someone for when we get BACK to get my luggage home for me (and washed haha)

IKR?!?! How awesome would that be. I still just think that Disney needs its own airlines and have an airport just for them in Orlando. Or at the very least, a Disney terminal at MCO....

Stopping by to wish you a...

Merry Christmas!

Disney-Christmas-disney-32956752-1024-768.jpg

D~

Thanks D~ !!!

Working on a much needed update!! Hope everyone had a great Christmas. It always seems like we are busier around here when we are on a break. Always something to be done...

Day 1 Part 3

We finally arrived at BW after a quick flight and the ME trip. I was in Orlando in Feb. for a conference and I came in a day early to explore around Disney solo and wanted to check out the BW area. Especially how short the walks were to Epcot and the Studios. It didnt take much time to figure out that this was where I wanted us to stay for our next trip, whenever that was going to be. And we werent really sure at that time when we would go next. Our plan was to get into a bigger house first, then explore when we would go back. (I personally would love to purchase DVC either from Disney or Resale. But that is going to take some convincing around here....:confused3). We again, rented points from a Diser, because, lets be honest, we really wouldnt be able to stay Deluxe otherwise. And it still works for us to be in a Studio size wise, and this may be the last trip we can do that.

Anyways, I was really excited for the rest of the fam to get here and see how awesome it really is. I had done online check-in and was ready to see what room they would put us in and really hoping that they had it ready since we had lunch reservations coming up shortly. But at least that was close by. I had requested close to the Lobby or an elevator because when reading about the BW it seemed as though there were a lot of people talking about how far of a walk they had within the resort itself. And looking around afterwards, there were some very, very long corridors that would not of been the best for us.

When we got inside the Lobby, there was no one else checking in, so already no line!! Woo-hoo!!

While I was checking in, the rest of fam hungout and explored the Lobby. And thus began Chance taking pics using the camera. The rest of us were content on using our phones to take pics and he wanted to use the camera this time. He was pretty adamant on having the camera with him, especially today. So we let him snap away.

After a short 5 minute or so check-in and finding out where are room was. We were off that direction. We were given

It is just a short walk, right off the Lobby. Not a bad walk at all, and far enough down the hallway that we couldnt hear any of the lobby or elevator traffic. As I am typing this, I should of vidoed the walk from the lobby so you could see how close it really was....hmmm. Good idea for next time.

Time to check out the room and of course, the view. On our last trip, we stayed at BLT, and had a Lake view and I absolutely loved it. This room being on the 2nd floor, I knew that it would not be that good, and knew this would be a pool view and not a Boardwalk view. Which we were ok with, but I think a Boardwalk would be pretty darn sweet though.

Ok, so we've got to the room and checked out our digs. It's time to go eat some lunch. There are lots of choices nearby....any guesses on where we went???

Happy Monday!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter