A Disney-addicted mom goes on a "Dream" cruise *update 7/6*

That was quite a trip!!!

The pictures from Jedi Training are awesome! How cool that Nathaniel was picked to use the force.

It sounds like the heat really took its toll that day at HS and the BBQ. The pool was a good solution.

Sorry to hear Zachary got hurt after the BBQ. How scary!!! But I'm really glad to hear he was ok.

Looking forward to your next adventure!

Your husband sounds a lot like mine! It's all about convenience :thumbsup2 I think that's why the beach club works so well for us! We love being able to walk to epcot for dinner every night-so relaxing to just stroll home at the end of the evening. :) I always have a moment of feeling guilty allowing my youngest his DS at the dinner table at night but I figure if he's happy everyone is happy and as its only allowed on holiday he knows that it's a treat that wont happen at home :goodvibes At least you have learnt what you would do differently to make it work for you in the future :goodvibes

Beach Club is one of Tom's favorite resorts on property!

Electronic devises are mandatory at restaurants. I don't feel guilty at all. Lol. They do however need to be turned off when the food comes, otherwise DS15 wouldn't hear us at all. KWIM ?? Lol

We do the same thing. Devices go away when the food arrives.

That was quite a trip!!!

The pictures from Jedi Training are awesome! How cool that Nathaniel was picked to use the force.

It sounds like the heat really took its toll that day at HS and the BBQ. The pool was a good solution.

Sorry to hear Zachary got hurt after the BBQ. How scary!!! But I'm really glad to hear he was ok.

Looking forward to your next adventure!

Nathaniel loved being picked!
I was really worried about Zachary but he seems just fine! :thumbsup2
I think I'm going to take a page out of your book and continue this with a report the next trip we did.

Amanda

Kids bickering in the car (especially during a long road trip) is not fun! :crazy2:

Glad you guys had a wonderful trip. :goodvibes Cruising has never been high on my list although I have family members who love it. My husband would like to try it, but I'm just not sure it's my kind of thing. Maybe someday.

Thanks for sharing your trip, Amanda! :flower3:

Kids bickering in the car (especially during a long road trip) is not fun! :crazy2:

Glad you guys had a wonderful trip. :goodvibes Cruising has never been high on my list although I have family members who love it. My husband would like to try it, but I'm just not sure it's my kind of thing. Maybe someday.

Thanks for sharing your trip, Amanda! :flower3:

My kids have an amazing ability to fight in the car! :scared1:
I thought we'd like cruising more than we did. I'm not saying we'll never cruise again but we like other types of vacation more.

Amanda

My kids have an amazing ability to fight in the car! :scared1:
I thought we'd like cruising more than we did. I'm not saying we'll never cruise again but we like other types of vacation more.

Amanda

Count yourself lucky-my kids have an amazing ability to throw up in the car!! All 3 of them :sick:

Asking everyone's indulgence, of course, I thought I would continue this trip report by skipping forward to our August, 2012 trip to Disney. I haven't kept spectacular records of this trip so much of it will be pieced together by memory with the aid of photos.
As August's trip approached Tom suddenly realized that I had overspent our vacation budget for 2012. We paid for my parents to join us for Marathon Weekend in January (at the Grand Floridian, no less). Then we went to Vero Beach for Spring Beach. And we took our first Disney Cruise. Suddenly the annual August trip seemed an extravagance.
I usually try to book airfare as soon as JetBlue releases the dates so our flights to Florida had been paid in full. They were non-refundable and it would have cost quite a lot of money to try to move the flights to 2013. At the risk of losing $1500 in airfare (or more!), Tom told me we could go if, and only if, I could substantially slash the budget.
We had booked a bounce-back offer at Beach Club to stay in a deluxe club level room. In retrospect this was probably a bad plan in the first place. As we re-learned on the cruise, my kids really need 2 separate rooms. Zachary talks himself to sleep at night which greatly annoys the other two. And he wakes up obscenely early in the morning which is also tough on the non-morning people. When the kids are a bit older I think the deluxe club level room will be perfect but if we were going to book a bounce-back offer, it should have been a villa. Or 2 connecting rooms.
Even with a bounce-back offer, staying in one of the more expensive rooms at BC was clearly a budget-buster. I looked into other options on Disney property - regular BC room, POR, OKW, etc. None of these options really fit all of our needs. After much research on the DIS, we contacted one of the people who rents out Wyndham Bonnet Creek villas. For about $800 we could get a 2 bedroom villa for a week. I had read good things about WBC and the price was right so we booked it. I must say that the couple who rented us the villa were beyond wonderful and I would consider doing it again. The other advantage to the villa was having a full kitchen so we could save some money on food (did I mention budget cuts???).
I canceled our date-night dinner at Flying Fish (chef's table - broke my heart to cancel) and slashed a few other sit-down meals. We planned breakfast in the villa daily and we'd bring snacks and water with us to the parks. We switched our Teppan Edo ADR to a reservation at Benihana (located at DTD Hilton) which was better and cheaper. We didn't eliminate dining out but we chose to be selective.
I then had to research rental cars and we finally found a decent deal at Alamo using the AP discount. Minivan rentals in Orlando are far from cheap but this was an acceptable deal. I'm honestly not sure but we may have paid more to have a rental car (including gas costs, etc.) than we paid for our villa!!!
With all that done I had the a-ok with Tom to proceed with our trip.

Amanda

I'm in!!!

I'll be interested in hearing all about your trip outside the Disney bubble. Sounds like some smart moves so far.

I'm here :) Really look forward to hearing about your stay at WBC. My eldest got engaged earlier this year and I know that the happy couple will want to come to Florida with us at some point in the future so a reasonably priced villa will be the most feasible option but we will need to get over the driving aspect of it! :scared1:
Don't worry I will give you all advanced notice of my dates if we plan to drive in orlando so that you can do the sensible thing and visit at a different time :lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

I'm here :) Really look forward to hearing about your stay at WBC. My eldest got engaged earlier this year and I know that the happy couple will want to come to Florida with us at some point in the future so a reasonably priced villa will be the most feasible option but we will need to get over the driving aspect of it! :scared1:
Don't worry I will give you all advanced notice of my dates if we plan to drive in orlando so that you can do the sensible thing and visit at a different time :lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

Congrats on the engagement!!! How exciting. I liked WBC. The villa was gorgeous and so was the facility. The location was convenient.

Amanda

One advantage to being a Disney regular is that we've learned a few tricks that work for our family. When we started going to Disney (5+ years ago since I was pregnant with Zachary on that first trip and he just turned 5!), we thought it was best to take the early morning flight. I get up at 5:30am most days and so does Zachary. Sleeping late in our house means getting up at 7am. So it seemed sensible to take the 6:30am flight - especially since we live pretty close to White Plains Airport.
The problem with the 6:30am flight is that you have to get up at 4am and leave the house between 4:30 and 5am. The kids never nap on that flight and by lunchtime we're all done. We never end up enjoying that first day anyway. Taking the 10:30am flight works MUCH better for us. No extra early alarm. Kids can pretty much get up at their normal time. We lose most of the day in terms of park touring but it's worth it. So we arrived in Orlando in the early afternoon, retrieved our luggage, and heading to the Alamo rental counter.
A few strange things happened at Alamo. 1st they were going to charge us a lot to add me as a second driver. 2nd we couldn't pick up the car for another hour without being charge $50 extra. So we headed to the food court at the airport and fed our starving children. Tom and I were both annoyed at Alamo until we did some online research and realized this was the best rate out there. So we headed back down and got our rental car - a Town and Country minivan. We made a grocery stop on the way to the hotel.
With Tom driving and me navi-guessing, we found our way to Wyndham Bonnet Creek. We had been forewarned to avoid the sales pitch by having only one adult pick up the parking pass for the car. This worked like a charm. Surprisingly our room was ready and we got settled in.
ry%3D400

kitchen
ry%3D400

dining area
ry%3D400

Master bedroom
ry%3D400

Jacuzzi (smaller than the DVC ones)
ry%3D400

Master bath - shower/toilet area
ry%3D400

Master bath sink/toilet
ry%3D400

patio (we had a 1st floor unit)
ry%3D400

mini-golf course view from patio
ry%3D400

Sofa bed
ry%3D400

2nd bedroom
ry%3D400

2nd bath

I though the unit was comparable to DVC. Dining room table is bigger than I remember in a 2 bedroom DVC unit. Master bedroom in DVC might be bigger. Otherwise I think they were similar. We stayed at the Hilton Grand Vacation Seaworld in February and the living room of that unit seemed bigger but the bedrooms were similar.

Amanda

Your villa looks gorgeous Amanda :)
UGH on having to wait for your car :( Sounds like you made the best of it though and at least you were all fed and ready to go :thumbsup2

The room looks nice, I have always avoided BC because of the sales pitch issues. I just worry that it would ruin the whole feel if we were pressured in any way. Can't wait to hear more!

Your villa looks gorgeous Amanda :)
UGH on having to wait for your car :( Sounds like you made the best of it though and at least you were all fed and ready to go :thumbsup2

The car thing was annoying but much less so when we realized that I had gotten a really good rate! :thumbsup2

The room looks nice, I have always avoided BC because of the sales pitch issues. I just worry that it would ruin the whole feel if we were pressured in any way. Can't wait to hear more!

We just didn't answer the phone in the room at all. Truth be told, we were rarely in the room during business hours. Tom stayed in the car with the kids while I checked in so it was a non-issue.

The room looks awesome! :)

It was lovely! And a really good value.

Amanda

Looking forward to hearing more about Bonnet Creek. The pics look nice. We're considering staying there next summer when we do a combined Universal/WDW trip.

Looking forward to hearing more about Bonnet Creek. The pics look nice. We're considering staying there next summer when we do a combined Universal/WDW trip.

We really liked it. I prefer to stay on property but this was very conveniently located.

Amanda

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter