A Couple Questions about the Grand Californian

CaliforniaDreaming

#1 Grand Floridian Fan/Expert
I have heard that sleeping bags are available at the Grand Californian. How large are they? Are they large enough for an adult? Has anyone ever stayed in a bunk bed room? How large are the bunk beds? Would they fit an adult? I'm trying to figure out a way that our family of 4 could comfortably stay at Disneyland in one room! Would it just be better to book a room over at the Disneyland Hotel (or Paradise Pier?), and hope to get 2 Queens and a Daybed? One more question! How is the concierge levels/service at the Disneyland hotels? Thanks for any and all help!

:earsboy:Cali-D

<font color=navy>We've stayed at the Grand Californian in a room with bunk beds (4th floor overlooking Downtown Disney) and a room with 2 queens and a daybed (overlooking the entrance to GC & the DLR hotels).

I first tried getting a room w/the bunkbeds for 5 of us, and was told that the bunks are really for younger children, not 13/14 year olds. Now, in December, my 5'1" dd slept in the upper bunk, and my 5'7" ds slept in the lower bunk with no problem. There is also a trundle bed that rolls out from under the bunks. Bunk beds were nice.

The 2 queens & daybed was nicer, IMO. The room looked much more spacious, and we fit fine. I think the daybed was too small for my ds, but had plenty of room for me, but then, I'm only 5'. Of course, I slept in a queen, not the daybed.

I am not sure about the sleeping bags, nor concierge.

My only regret was that we didn't have more nights to enjoy the hotel. :)

So, Mary Jo, the Grand Californian does have rooms with a daybed? I have never seen that meantioned anywhere! Were you able to guarentee the two queens and daybed when you reserved? We have 4, but we really need a third bed. Was there any special kind of room type that you had to reserve for that 2Q/D bedding?

Thanks!!!
Cali-D

The sleeping bags were the rectangular flannel polyester filled type. I am sure an adult would fit. (Comfortably?)

I had the misfortune of inhabiting the lower bunk when they ran out of queen rooms. I am 5'9" and it was miserable -

Our queen room was far more spacious and comfie. I do not recall a daybed.

DLH used to have daybeds, but I am not sure if they still do.

<font color=navy>I was able to confirm a standard room with 2 queens and a daybed with no problem. In fact, we had 5, and when I asked for bunks, I was told that they preferred we get the 2 queens & daybed since the bunks were really for kids, not adults. It worked out better for us in the long run. We had room 4101 that overlooked the entrance - our view included the DL hotel & Paradise Pier, part of Mulholland Madness, the Monorail as it wound around GCH to the Downtown Disney station. When we left our room, we could hear the piano being played in the lobby below (tempting me to leave the door slightly ajar so we could listen), and we were very close to the elevator and the vending machine room. On the third floor, below us, the corridor that opens to the lobby was a bit wider, and allowed for chairs -- that would have been nice, too. I was very pleased with the location.

Thanks MaryJo!!! Now all I have to do is get my dates together, and hopefully I'll be able to book a 2 Queen/Daybed room!!! How far in advance should I book for July 2003? I don't want to book until August at the very earliest (have to wait till we get home from WDW & the Grand Floridian before we spend more money on NEXT year's vacation!). Thanks so much for all your help!!! I can't wait to see how the Disneyland Hotels compare to the WDW ones --- is the Grand Californian more like rusticness of Wilderness Lodge or the luxury of the Grand Floridian?

PS, do you know of any good hotels in San Diego? I was thinking maybe either the Hotel del Coronado or the Coronado Island Marriott (does it have a beach?). Any help would be most appreciated!

Thanks!
Cali-D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter