A couple of quick questions

MimitoAlex

Mouseketeer
I was talking to a friend last night, they went to Japan in the last part of last year. Here are some things that she mentioned.

1) She said I can pick up a Sucia card in the Airport, there is a desk and they can help us load money on to it, she suggested around 20.00 dollars US to get started, she went on to say that we can use the card in the train stations to not just for the train but for food and drinks and at the vending machine, as well it can be used at the Combini stores?

2) She also said that you can order a wifi booster and extra battery for pick up in the airport as well.? and you just drop off on the way home. Any thoughts on this would be great.
We have iphones with international calling and such.

3) She said in just use the currency exchange desk in the airport. ? she said its the best rate.? When we went to Paris, I got euro through our bank and it was a much better deal. thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

I was talking to a friend last night, they went to Japan in the last part of last year. Here are some things that she mentioned.

1) She said I can pick up a Sucia card in the Airport, there is a desk and they can help us load money on to it, she suggested around 20.00 dollars US to get started, she went on to say that we can use the card in the train stations to not just for the train but for food and drinks and at the vending machine, as well it can be used at the Combini stores?

2) She also said that you can order a wifi booster and extra battery for pick up in the airport as well.? and you just drop off on the way home. Any thoughts on this would be great.
We have iphones with international calling and such.

3) She said in just use the currency exchange desk in the airport. ? she said its the best rate.? When we went to Paris, I got euro through our bank and it was a much better deal. thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Withdrawing cash from an ATM if your bank doesn't charge a foreign transaction fee and rebates ATM fees will give you the best rate. But the rates at the currency exchange desks at the airport in Japan are not bad (often not the case in other countries). We've done this before when I didn't have the Schwab checking account yet (no FTF, rebates ATM fees).

Yes, there are JR counters at the airport to buy a Suica if you don't want to use the machines. If you need a child Suica for 50% off, you also need to buy it there. If you see a long line, that's probably where they process the JR passes. Look for a different counter for a shorter line. Yes, you can also use it at vending machines and stores that accept it.

I think she meant mobile wifi which is not the same as a wifi booster. It's a good option if you have multiple people and can remember to keep everything charged and not overheating. I generally prefer to use local SIM cards since the wifi device is one other thing to carry.

If you're traveling to Japan from the US, then likely your bank will give you a better rate at the ATM and you come out ahead even if you have to pay the 110 JPY per 10K JPY ATM fee. If you have additional foreign transaction fees on top of that, then the airport exchanges may be better.

We purchased a Suica on our trip (the last three weeks) at the airport machine. You can use it almost everywhere for subway, trains, and also at vending machines and conbinis. There is an “English” button and it’s pretty straightforward. There are two. The Welcome Suica which has no deposit fee but which expires in 28 days. There is also the regular Suica which has a ¥500 deposit and then you load whatever you want. I believe it lasts 10 years. The welcome Suica you can’t get cash back that you don’t use. You can the other but there is a fee to do so. We just got the regular one and will be going back so didn’t bother cashing out the little that was left on it.

We used Japan wireless pocket wifi which worked very well and we had no issues. You can book ahead for pickup during operating hours at the airport or have it delivered to your hotel for pickup which is what we did. It was there waiting for us on check in. We just put it in an envelope and dropped it in the Japan Post box at Narita before you pass security when leaving Japan. There is no chance after.

We used our atm card at 7-11 and Japan Post bank with no issues for cash.

Going to order the Japan wireless pocket wifi, we are flying in and out at Haneda. Is it available there as well ?

Most likely we will do the regular sucia card and just really watch what we add to it... a couple of our friends said that for the 10 days we are going to be there, we only need about 25.00 US for each of us, anyone any thoughts. We will be using private car service to and from the airports, as well. So really just the monorail at Disneyland and then in Tokyo, we are booking some private tours, and all of them us the trains.

We still haven't really decided on whether to go to Koyto or not.... we keep waffling back and forth. Then the whole highspeed train tickets come into play.

We only put on about ¥2000 to start Beverly time you go through a gate you will see your balance so you can always add more.
I do believe you can pick up Japan Wireless from Haneda. I just don’t know where or the hours. When you fill in the form to order, it will tell you.

Kyoto is beautiful and has lots to see but if you’re going there to check a box and not have time, I probably wouldn’t. It all depends on the time you have.

Going to order the Japan wireless pocket wifi, we are flying in and out at Haneda. Is it available there as well ?

Most likely we will do the regular sucia card and just really watch what we add to it... a couple of our friends said that for the 10 days we are going to be there, we only need about 25.00 US for each of us, anyone any thoughts. We will be using private car service to and from the airports, as well. So really just the monorail at Disneyland and then in Tokyo, we are booking some private tours, and all of them us the trains.

We still haven't really decided on whether to go to Koyto or not.... we keep waffling back and forth. Then the whole highspeed train tickets come into play.

I used about 7000 yen for a 2 week trip, loading the Suica as we went. This includes a more expensive train ride to and from Kamakura but not airport transportation. Also doesn't include the monorail because it's cheaper to buy the multiday pass (and the ticket designs are cute). Link

I used about 7000 yen for a 2 week trip, loading the Suica as we went. This includes a more expensive train ride to and from Kamakura but not airport transportation. Also doesn't include the monorail because it's cheaper to buy the multiday pass (and the ticket designs are cute). Link

Where do I get the multi day pass at, we are staying at the Hilton Tokyo Bay. ?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter