A couple of questions about our recent trip

Jairy

Mouseketeer
We just got back last week from our May 8-12th Disney trip and we had a blast. Thursday and Friday crowds were very reasonable (I think due to the weather), and Saturday in the sun was nothing like I'd ever seen before with crowds!

Two questions. First, we went on Pirates of the Caribbean and got absolutely soaked! Wetter than we did on Splash Mountain. Is this a new thing? We will start having to bring a poncho if it is! lol

The second question is about the World of Color Desert party. We were a group of three. Very close to show start, a lady was placed in a very squishy spot at our table. It was super awkward for both her and us. It ended up being fine as we broke the ice and had a good conversation. She was told she could get a table to herself. She said she didn't want to be part of a family group as she was just in town for the day with business. Is it typical to put two parties together at a tiny table like that, or was it just bad luck for us?

Oh, and just a recommendation. We did the Hungry Bear dining package and it was great. We heard it was sold out on a very busy Saturday, so we couldn't believe how much seating room was in that section. You don't have to show up much before show time to get an excellent spot.

We just got back last week from our May 8-12th Disney trip and we had a blast. Thursday and Friday crowds were very reasonable (I think due to the weather), and Saturday in the sun was nothing like I'd ever seen before with crowds!

Two questions. First, we went on Pirates of the Caribbean and got absolutely soaked! Wetter than we did on Splash Mountain. Is this a new thing? We will start having to bring a poncho if it is! lol

The second question is about the World of Color Desert party. We were a group of three. Very close to show start, a lady was placed in a very squishy spot at our table. It was super awkward for both her and us. It ended up being fine as we broke the ice and had a good conversation. She was told she could get a table to herself. She said she didn't want to be part of a family group as she was just in town for the day with business. Is it typical to put two parties together at a tiny table like that, or was it just bad luck for us?

Oh, and just a recommendation. We did the Hungry Bear dining package and it was great. We heard it was sold out on a very busy Saturday, so we couldn't believe how much seating room was in that section. You don't have to show up much before show time to get an excellent spot.
It's not new for POTC - if you sit in the front you'll probably get wet or something. Never happened to us but I've read about it.

Not sure about WoC dessert party.

Thanks for the recommendation for the HB dining package, we were considering it and we'll probably get it now! How far in advance did you show up for it?

Sounds like you had a great trip! Wow, that's funny about PotC, I've never had more than a little splatter or two. I wonder what changed?

WOC will seat you with other groups, I think it even states that somewhere in the fine print. When DH and I went a couple years ago, we were seated at a high top with a lady and her adult daughter. It WAS a little awkward, but okay. We just sort of said hi and where are you from to each other, pleasantly, and then did our own thing. It was fine. But we were kind of surprised because there was an empty table next to us.

I also very much enjoyed the HB package! The seating area (this was Memorial Day last year) was much less crowded than the BB area next to us. We had plenty of room to spread out.

I've never gotten very wet on PoTC, maybe a little bit of a splash but not more than that. Maybe it has to do with the weight distribution of the boats?

As for WoC Dessert Party, yes, a similar thing happened to DH and I. We had a very unhappy couple sat with us. It was an awkward experience, and now DH is soured on ever doing it again. Sigh... at least we won't have to drop that kind of money on it again I suppose.

It's not new for POTC - if you sit in the front you'll probably get wet or something. Never happened to us but I've read about it.

Not sure about WoC dessert party.

Thanks for the recommendation for the HB dining package, we were considering it and we'll probably get it now! How far in advance did you show up for it?

We were in the back two rows that got soaked. The guy in the back row was complaining his phone was soaked. I had wet pants for half of the day. lol

We showed up at around 10 for the 10:30 show. Now in saying that, we weren't right against the fence but just behind the first row of people. But almost everyone filled up the fence and then only about 10 or more parties scattered around the area. If you sit higher up the slope I think the view is really good too (better than looking through the fence?)

I've never gotten very wet on PoTC, maybe a little bit of a splash but not more than that. Maybe it has to do with the weight distribution of the boats?

As for WoC Dessert Party, yes, a similar thing happened to DH and I. We had a very unhappy couple sat with us. It was an awkward experience, and now DH is soured on ever doing it again. Sigh... at least we won't have to drop that kind of money on it again I suppose.

I've never been wet at all. Which is why I was so surprised. I think everyone in the boat was surprised. Maybe we just got a wonky boat:tongue:

My UNDERWEAR (because the water got on the seat!) got a little wet on POTC on our first ride during out last trip, but we were in the very front row. I had only been spritzed before that.

World of Color has always mentioned they may combined groups at tables; I would imagine there is almost no chance a single would get their own table. As a couple I’ve got a table without someone else once or twice, and once or twice we’ve been matched up with another group of two. No real big deal once the show starts. I figure those empty tables are no shows, you probably could ask to move, but maybe 10 minutes or so after the actual show starts...

What is the hungry bear package? Is that a dining package for Fantasmic? Is it actually seated, or when you say “seating” do you mean on the ground? Also, is this during Fantasmic, or do you eat and then have to go stand somewhere else to watch Fantasmic?

...we went on Pirates of the Caribbean and got absolutely soaked! Wetter than we did on Splash Mountain. Is this a new thing?

I've heard other people say this but I've ridden POTC about 100 times in my life. I sometimes get a little wet but I've never been even slightly soaked and I nearly always sit in the front row. I'm light -- about 145 pounds -- and the people I ride with are also thin. It's usually just me and one other person. I'm certainly not saying that you're not thin but I wonder if you're larger than I am (I'm smaller than average) and/or if you're riding with three or four people in the front. I suspect that would make a difference.

I've heard other people say this but I've ridden POTC about 100 times in my life. I sometimes get a little wet but I've never been even slightly soaked and I nearly always sit in the front row. I'm light -- about 145 pounds -- and the people I ride with are also thin. It's usually just me and one other person. I'm certainly not saying that you're not thin but I wonder if you're larger than I am (I'm smaller than average) and/or if you're riding with three or four people in the front. I suspect that would make a difference.

I've been on maybe 25 times before and never been wet. I weigh less than you (still not saying how much! lol). We were sitting in the second to back row (my mom and 14 year old who both also weigh less). The back row had about 4 average size late teen boys. The wave came over the side and soaked both the top of my pants, and then the back. Its sounding like it's a "one-off" though. I thought I was going to have to plan our next ride accordingly! We always ride Splash/Grizzly River run before our mid day hotel break. lol

World of Color has always mentioned they may combined groups at tables; I would imagine there is almost no chance a single would get their own table. As a couple I’ve got a table without someone else once or twice, and once or twice we’ve been matched up with another group of two. No real big deal once the show starts. I figure those empty tables are no shows, you probably could ask to move, but maybe 10 minutes or so after the actual show starts...

What is the hungry bear package? Is that a dining package for Fantasmic? Is it actually seated, or when you say “seating” do you mean on the ground? Also, is this during Fantasmic, or do you eat and then have to go stand somewhere else to watch Fantasmic?
It is a dining package for Fantasmic, yes. We had a 7:00 meal reservation. That just means you go to the HB and order your meal in a special line up. There is a special menu or you can order off the regular menu. Do not let the pic of the special menu item meals put you off. We had the frittata and the bar-b-que chicken and they were both very good. Then you get a ticket to come back to the show later. Seating is a roped off section on the ground (no actual seats). But everywhere else people had been waiting a long time and squished in like sardines. There was so much room in this section and no need to come much earlier than show start. I figure a meal with a drink is about 20$, so for an extra 10$ we got a roped off section.

I've had a fair splash or two... But I go by myself, so I think I get more of a splash when I'm in the front because I'm not weighing much of the boat down, comparatively.

I think it has a lot to do with weight distribution and who was in the boat before you. I've only gotten wet in three parts of the ride (to varying degrees of wetness), but I have gotten wet and it's happened more often than not of late:

1. When you load into the boat. I've noticed that the seats are often wet and the channel often has standing water in it. We take paper towels/kleenex/napkins with us to try and soak up as much water as possible before sitting down. I have been on the ride several times when all of the napkins (about a half an inch thick stack) were soaked through. If the row was really full previously, this seems like less of an issue (they're bottoms probably absorbed most of the water).

2. The drops at the start of the ride. This one I think has the most to do with the loading of the boat. If the weight distribution is bad, then I think there is a higher potential to get wet. This seems especially true if the boat is front heavy. Sometimes we get misted, other times sizable droplets of water land on us, and other times we get pretty wet. I wouldn't say I've ever gotten Splash Mountain-level wet, but I've gotten wet enough that there were still wet patches on my clothes when the ride ended.

3. The water cannons just before you go into town. This hasn't happened in a long time, but there used to be a water cannon then went off pretty near to the boat. If you had the bad luck of being there when it went off...think the water cannons on Grizzly Rapids. Luckily, I think they've disconnected this one because it hasn't happened in a long time.

I think it has a lot to do with weight distribution and who was in the boat before you. I've only gotten wet in three parts of the ride (to varying degrees of wetness), but I have gotten wet and it's happened more often than not of late:

1. When you load into the boat. I've noticed that the seats are often wet and the channel often has standing water in it. We take paper towels/kleenex/napkins with us to try and soak up as much water as possible before sitting down. I have been on the ride several times when all of the napkins (about a half an inch thick stack) were soaked through. If the row was really full previously, this seems like less of an issue (they're bottoms probably absorbed most of the water).

2. The drops at the start of the ride. This one I think has the most to do with the loading of the boat. If the weight distribution is bad, then I think there is a higher potential to get wet. This seems especially true if the boat is front heavy. Sometimes we get misted, other times sizable droplets of water land on us, and other times we get pretty wet. I wouldn't say I've ever gotten Splash Mountain-level wet, but I've gotten wet enough that there were still wet patches on my clothes when the ride ended.

3. The water cannons just before you go into town. This hasn't happened in a long time, but there used to be a water cannon then went off pretty near to the boat. If you had the bad luck of being there when it went off...think the water cannons on Grizzly Rapids. Luckily, I think they've disconnected this one because it hasn't happened in a long time.
I could have written this; it’s our experience exactly! Last time I missed how much water was on my side of the seat at the edge, and as soon as the boat redistributed, it all flowed under me and I ended up with a very suspicious-looking wet spot on my jeans. :rolleyes1

We were in the back two rows that got soaked. The guy in the back row was complaining his phone was soaked. I had wet pants for half of the day. lol

We showed up at around 10 for the 10:30 show. Now in saying that, we weren't right against the fence but just behind the first row of people. But almost everyone filled up the fence and then only about 10 or more parties scattered around the area. If you sit higher up the slope I think the view is really good too (better than looking through the fence?)
Oh really! That's weird, at which part did you get soaked?

Yeah we don't want to be in the splash zone but we want to get a good view for our money so a few rows behind the front would be a good choice for us. Wow that's great, we'll be going at a crowded time so we'll probably arrive 45 minutes before :P

We went on Pirates twice a couple weeks ago & each time the entire boat got drenched on the first drop. Like a gallon bucket dumped straight on top of you and sloshing around in each row’s bench. I have never gotten more than a lil splish splash on the edges before so it was quite the surprise for our group to end up with soggy clothes after that one.

Yes this sounds about right I guess...

We rode pirates probably more than 20 times on our last trip(5days) last summer (yes my parents love that ride...)
Usually we just got some a little wet from some drops... or from the water that’s on the bench already... so there is a high potential for soaked pants (we never even though about drying it with napkins)
I think I read here once that you shouldn’t push your luck so if you dine at BB you shouldn’t ride pirates just before just in case you get wet so you won’t freeze to death while eating...

And yes we got soaked about 2 times actually (sitting front row but can’t remeber the exact weight distribution of the boat) it was similar or maybe even slightly worse than my experience of the backrow of splash mountain...

I’ve been drenched before on POTC. More often than not I don’t get wet, but it has happened to me a couple times.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!