A couple of DAS and autism questions....

summerlyangel

Mouseketeer
Hello! This is the first time I've asked a question here and the last time we were at DW parks was in 2015. We used the DAS for my then 17yo dd w/ autism. Will that still be in the system? She will only ride a few things, but enjoys the shows. We only used it for a couple of rides each day, but it was extremely helpful for those things. She has improved so much, that we might try to get away without it for her, since we will be going at a slower, relaxed pace for her sister, anyway.

My 9yo has since been diagnosed w/ autism and has a different set of issues, including serious sensory issues and will run off when overwhelmed or overstimulated. Also very prone to meltdowns if we can't figure out what's bothering her in time. When she was 6, she still fit in her stroller and that helped tremendously because she was confined and could block out others. Needless to say, she no longer fits due to height, she's skinny, so weight isn't an issue, just height. 51 inches, 60lbs. Any suggestions on strollers that might accommodate her without having to jump up to special needs strollers? They are so expensive! She does well in everyday life without one, but our recent all day trip to a local theme park left me wishing she had one when she was on the verge of meltdown and trying to escape multiple times over the course of day. We usually only do that theme park for a few hours at a time and she has done really well handling the 15-20 minutes lines when we go for a couple of hours, but looks like she turns into a bear about hour 3. lol We already plan lots of swimming (her fave) and downtime at the resort, plus good snacks, sticking to a routine, ear defenders, diversions for lines, social stories, etc.

In light of that, I'm thinking about requesting a DAS for her, but I don't know how having 2 will work. Younger DD will want to ride the roller coasters over and over, older DD will not. If they did the same things, we could just renew the older DD's, but since they are into different things, it might be helpful if they each get one. So how does use work in this case? I know they can't be on each others, so would I just say that I want a return time for both DAS at the kiosk?

What else do I need to plan for? Anything I'm missing?

Thanks for any suggestions!

I’ve just got a few minutes, so posting a link to this thread that should be able to answer most if your questions:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/w...15-digital-das-on-tickets-magicbands.3178976/
Don’t bother reading past the first post - the rest of the thread is comments from before and just after DAS was introduced.

Regarding strollers, a 9 yr old is not going to fit in a regular stroller. She may fit in the WDW park rental strollers.
There is information about renting strollers and wheelchairs in post 2 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread. That thread is near the top of this Board or you can follow the link in my signature.

Each can have a DAS. The rest of the party can split with whom to get a return time, and if both girls are riding get a return time for each. Otherwise split up. Each individual may only have 1 active return time.

The 9 yr old may fit in a double park rental stroller, though it is hard plastic and may not be comfortable. The Maclaren Major Elite is an umbrella stroller, and I read this winter that one of the rental agencies offer that now. I’ll try to dig it up. Another option might be a wheelchair for her.

Enjoy your vacation!

For the stroller - our oldest was about that height and weight when we last went. Several of the standard stroller rentals accommodate up to 48". My son likes to fold himself up anyway so he was able to fit, even with the extra height but it really depends on the child. The Disney strollers in the park were a bit better. Also, the double stroller is actually a bench stroller so there is a lot more room. It is hard plastic but he actually liked that better as for him it felt "safer."

Orlando Stroller Rentals has the Maclaren Major Elite. Their website still shows the Liberty Pushchair, but when you click on that for "more info" it gives message that the Liberty is discontinued and the video shows the Maclaren Major. Yes it's more expensive than the regular baby strollers, but only about $10-$20 more.

Another option for a stroller might be from Orlando Medical Rentals, as they have several models that should fit the 9 yr old. They also have the Maclaren Major, as well as Special Tomato, and I thought they had the OttoBock which is another umbrella-style fold but I don't see that one listed now.

Enjoy your vacation!

Hello! This is the first time I've asked a question here and the last time we were at DW parks was in 2015. We used the DAS for my then 17yo dd w/ autism.

In light of that, I'm thinking about requesting a DAS for her, but I don't know how having 2 will work. Younger DD will want to ride the roller coasters over and over, older DD will not. If they did the same things, we could just renew the older DD's, but since they are into different things, it might be helpful if they each get one. So how does use work in this case? I know they can't be on each others, so would I just say that I want a return time for both DAS at the kiosk?

I'm not sure what you mean by getting a DAS time at a kiosk - are you going to Walt Disney World (you stated DW) or Disneyland? I don't think there are any kiosks at WDW, as you get your DAS return time at the queue to the attraction.

Also, the DAS does not allow for riding 'over and over' (not getting off) - do you mean just going back to the beginning of the queue after you ride and requesting another DAS time? If re-riding is really important, try lining up your FP+ so that you can ride first with FP, then with the DAS time.

On the stroller front, my rather well built 9 year old is 72lbs and fits in the City Mini GT double stroller with her younger brother. If its just a single then I would definitely look at the City Mini GT, the foam filled larger wheels are much easier to use and push over the smaller plastic ones on the regular City Mini.

We often utilize 2 DAS passes for 2 children as they both have very different ideas of what to ride. Forcing one to be on the others ride list ends up being counter productive in many ways.

On the stroller front, my rather well built 9 year old is 72lbs and fits in the City Mini GT double stroller with her younger brother. If its just a single then I would definitely look at the City Mini GT, the foam filled larger wheels are much easier to use and push over the smaller plastic ones on the regular City Mini.

We often utilize 2 DAS passes for 2 children as they both have very different ideas of what to ride. Forcing one to be on the others ride list ends up being counter productive in many ways.
Look carefully at the weight limits. Some of the double strollers are 50 pounds per side or the larger weight ones may still be limited to 100 or 110 pounds total weight.

We have a Convaid for my adult son, I like it because it is more like a large stroller than a WC, the seat is angled back like a stroller. My son hunches forward at times, so it helps him sit back and enjoy the park sights.

Convaid chairs are insanely expensive. The first one we bought was on Ebay (it was new). The new one is lighter than that one. We also only use it at Disney or local day trips like museums, zoos, aquariums. You may be able to find one eventually on Ebay or Craigs list. My son uses the largest size 18", but kids outgrown the smaller ones.

This is more of a long term suggestion, not necessarily for this upcoming trip. My son has Downs, and autism, Scoliosis, and wanders off. Also has no speech, and weak stamina for walking all day (poor depth perception and balance as well).

I could not find a LARGE one except in Convaid, there are other brands that would work for your child. (my son is 160 pound adult)

Look carefully at the weight limits. Some of the double strollers are 50 pounds per side or the larger weight ones may still be limited to 100 or 110 pounds total weight.

Yeah these can sometimes be different depending on brand and model etc... the gt double has been a stalwart for our family and handled my 12yr old plus my wife at the same time... err just a tad over 100lbs I'd say but obviously not going to reveal the exact number

But yes, I agree that you need to check the details, but from my own experience the GT double is more than capable and has been used on the front lines for 5+ years flawlessly. Do so at your own risk though I guess!

I was going to suggest the City mini GT stroller. My tiny 11 year old seemed to fit just fine in the double version. It looks like the single is 60lbs and 48 inches.

A few other suggestions regarding the sensory stimulation issues. We have taken my son to WDW since he was two and a few things we have found are to find a quiet place that she knows you can escape to. We have used the Pinochio restaurant, Columbia Harbor House and the sides of the castle. Over by the Carosel of Progress is usually quiet too.

Will she tolerate ear buds? My son refused to wear the head phones you often see sensitive kids wearing, but once he discovered earbuds, it changed a lot of things for him. He isn't even listening to anything most of the time but he ALWAYS has his earbuds with him.

Hello! This is the first time I've asked a question here and the last time we were at DW parks was in 2015. We used the DAS for my then 17yo dd w/ autism. Will that still be in the system? She will only ride a few things, but enjoys the shows. We only used it for a couple of rides each day, but it was extremely helpful for those things. She has improved so much, that we might try to get away without it for her, since we will be going at a slower, relaxed pace for her sister, anyway.

My 9yo has since been diagnosed w/ autism and has a different set of issues, including serious sensory issues and will run off when overwhelmed or overstimulated. Also very prone to meltdowns if we can't figure out what's bothering her in time. When she was 6, she still fit in her stroller and that helped tremendously because she was confined and could block out others. Needless to say, she no longer fits due to height, she's skinny, so weight isn't an issue, just height. 51 inches, 60lbs. Any suggestions on strollers that might accommodate her without having to jump up to special needs strollers? They are so expensive! She does well in everyday life without one, but our recent all day trip to a local theme park left me wishing she had one when she was on the verge of meltdown and trying to escape multiple times over the course of day. We usually only do that theme park for a few hours at a time and she has done really well handling the 15-20 minutes lines when we go for a couple of hours, but looks like she turns into a bear about hour 3. lol We already plan lots of swimming (her fave) and downtime at the resort, plus good snacks, sticking to a routine, ear defenders, diversions for lines, social stories, etc.

How does she do with the heat and/or humidity (if you don’t live in a similar climate)? I do not thermoregulate well at all, and the FL climate can really reduce my ability to manage my sensory processing issues. When it is particularly hot and humid, I have a much lower tolerance threshold for sensory input and I don’t always realize how the heat is impacting me (but my wife has sure noticed the pattern and forces me into ac and makes me drink water).

If it is going to be hot and humid during your visit, and your daughter is not used to the Orlando conditions, make sure to bring things to help keep her cool. It might help her manage a little better and lead to fewer meltdowns (if it is not something you’re already planning for).

Each can have a DAS. The rest of the party can split with whom to get a return time, and if both girls are riding get a return time for each. Otherwise split up. Each individual may only have 1 active return time.

The 9 yr old may fit in a double park rental stroller, though it is hard plastic and may not be comfortable. The Maclaren Major Elite is an umbrella stroller, and I read this winter that one of the rental agencies offer that now. I’ll try to dig it up. Another option might be a wheelchair for her.

Enjoy your vacation!

I"ll look that up! A rental would be perfect, since we don't need one in everyday life and WDW trips are every few years for us.

That is how I was thinking it would work if we get both a DAS. We shall see when we get there what works best for the girls.

For the stroller - our oldest was about that height and weight when we last went. Several of the standard stroller rentals accommodate up to 48". My son likes to fold himself up anyway so he was able to fit, even with the extra height but it really depends on the child. The Disney strollers in the park were a bit better. Also, the double stroller is actually a bench stroller so there is a lot more room. It is hard plastic but he actually liked that better as for him it felt "safer."

I'll keep this is mind! We may just wing it at the beginning of the trip and then rent a stroller on an as-needed basis.

I'm not sure what you mean by getting a DAS time at a kiosk - are you going to Walt Disney World (you stated DW) or Disneyland? I don't think there are any kiosks at WDW, as you get your DAS return time at the queue to the attraction.

Also, the DAS does not allow for riding 'over and over' (not getting off) - do you mean just going back to the beginning of the queue after you ride and requesting another DAS time? If re-riding is really important, try lining up your FP+ so that you can ride first with FP, then with the DAS time.

We're going to Walt Disney World. :)

By kiosk, I meant at the entrance to the FP line, where you request the return time. Sorry for any confusion! And yes, I mean, requesting a new time after we've ridden, not riding over and over w/o waits. We will certainly make good use of fastpass, luckily, her faves are things that are easy to ride w/ small waits like barnstormer, peoplemover, and IASW, plus any shows. She is fully capable of waiting some, and we have plans for one of us to take her back to the condo, if needed.

Oh yes, counterproductive is exactly it, lol I'll look at the citi mini GT. I might take her to buy buy baby and see how she fits in it.....

We have a Convaid for my adult son, I like it because it is more like a large stroller than a WC, the seat is angled back like a stroller. My son hunches forward at times, so it helps him sit back and enjoy the park sights.

Convaid chairs are insanely expensive. The first one we bought was on Ebay (it was new). The new one is lighter than that one. We also only use it at Disney or local day trips like museums, zoos, aquariums. You may be able to find one eventually on Ebay or Craigs list. My son uses the largest size 18", but kids outgrown the smaller ones.

This is more of a long term suggestion, not necessarily for this upcoming trip. My son has Downs, and autism, Scoliosis, and wanders off. Also has no speech, and weak stamina for walking all day (poor depth perception and balance as well).

I could not find a LARGE one except in Convaid, there are other brands that would work for your child. (my son is 160 pound adult)

They are so expensive! They do look comfy, though. I'm glad you were able to find something comfy for you son. :)

A few other suggestions regarding the sensory stimulation issues. We have taken my son to WDW since he was two and a few things we have found are to find a quiet place that she knows you can escape to. We have used the Pinochio restaurant, Columbia Harbor House and the sides of the castle. Over by the Carosel of Progress is usually quiet too.

Will she tolerate ear buds? My son refused to wear the head phones you often see sensitive kids wearing, but once he discovered earbuds, it changed a lot of things for him. He isn't even listening to anything most of the time but he ALWAYS has his earbuds with him.

Great idea! We plan to enlist her help when we first arrive at the parks and she is still in a good mood, to find suitable "escapes". Those sound like great places! We're working on learning to use a code word or sound when she is starting to get that feeling.....a little success there, hopefully more in the next few weeks. She does not like earbuds, but she will use ear defenders, specifically the cheapo ones from dollar tree, lol. They are very lighweight and don't hurt her head. We're planning to decorate a couple of pair and she's super excited about that!

How does she do with the heat and/or humidity (if you don’t live in a similar climate)? I do not thermoregulate well at all, and the FL climate can really reduce my ability to manage my sensory processing issues. When it is particularly hot and humid, I have a much lower tolerance threshold for sensory input and I don’t always realize how the heat is impacting me (but my wife has sure noticed the pattern and forces me into ac and makes me drink water).

If it is going to be hot and humid during your visit, and your daughter is not used to the Orlando conditions, make sure to bring things to help keep her cool. It might help her manage a little better and lead to fewer meltdowns (if it is not something you’re already planning for).

She will be ok with the heat and humidity, as long as we take frequent breaks, and we plan to go at her pace. We're in the Southeast, so we're pretty used to heat and humidity, though I know it is even more intense in Orlando. She will have her own misting fan, and I suspect she will be soaked from it, lol, plus she loves any water features, so we'll let her play in those when we come across them.

Frequent snacks are another thing we plan to do. We'll bring her faves so she can have something frequently while waiting and such. She seems hungry a lot, even though she's very thin.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts