~~ A Celebration of Life-long friendship ~~ Sew Sweet 16 ~~ Now N' Thens 3/11

We had the same problems with my kids - Steven didn't see the point of homework :crazy2: so he would rarely turn it in. Shannon thought she couldn't compete with Andrew (who was a straight A student without trying) so she didn't try at all - until her junior year. She did a complete 180 and made the honor roll:dogdance: for the very first time.

Doing the homework and not turning it in just is silly though.

Have a great weekend!

Hi Dee - I loved following your trip report and can't wait to read your next PTR. I think that you wrapped this one up a lot sooner than the last one, too. ;)

Today is supposed to be our last day in the really deep cold... It's supposed to warm into the 40s this weekend and 50s next week... :woohoo: Capris/flip flops/tanning weather!

Yes, I will be starting another PTR as soon as I finish this one up.
I can't wait for the weather to warm, up, too. It has been a very cold winter this year.

The only thing I haven't figured out yet is the emoticons... I do them all from memory - I can't find the little menu that allows you to add them? :confused:
I had to ask how to find the emoticons, too. Just click on the little smilie face in the edit bar at the top of the post and they will appear. There are different emoticons on each of the tabs, something that took me awhile to find.

Last edited:
I hope you had a good trip up to your Dad's and that he is doing well. I have a St. Patricks day card ready to mail to him in a couple of days, and already have his Easter card. I try to stock up whenever I'm buying cards for anybody. Then I forget to get them in the mail on time…:crazy2:

I'm so glad your doctor visit went well. You have worked so hard, it's nice for your dr to recognize that and encourage you. It must feel great to know you are taking control of how you will age. In fact, you are aging backwards at this point!:rotfl2::thumbsup2 Keep it up!

Glad you got a lot done in your sewing room. I know someone who is anxious for you to finish. :rolleyes1

I don't know if you know, but Dan and I are taking Miles to Disney in April. He was 5 in September, but didn't want to get on a plane at that point. Now he's ready and excited to go! We're staying at Pop.

Well, I hope you have a fabulous weekend and safe travels back home!:hug:

I'm mostly a lurker but wanted to let you know I really enjoyed your trip report. I'm from Minnesota too and live just north of the cities. I know you lift weights and wanted to mention that may be the cause of your pain. My husband went in for chest pain and after testing they thought maybe it was acid reflux. It wasn't until he went in for a follow up the doctor figured out it was strain from lifting weights. He had been lifting for quite a while so never suspected that. I can't remember exactly what he did differently, but when he quit for a while it went away. Just something to consider maybe. I'm looking forward to your next pre-trip report.
Robyn

Last edited:
Hope you have a great weekend!

Thanks! I hope you did too!

Hope you have fun this weekend!

V sounds a lot like my Brother. He was two years behind me in school and struggled a lot. He is very bright and could have done well but just could not apply himself. He (kind of jokingly) blames it on me because I was such a goody two-shoes and got straight A's. He said I set the bar too high and he couldn't compete so he went the complete opposite direction. Seriously though, V may be feeling some pressure from being the second daughter though that school.

Thanks - I hope you had a nice weekend too!

I understand... It would just be so nice if she would concentrate and turn in her work - otherwise, she gets fantastic grades.

I hope you have a great weekend!!! dang kids! Matt just had a detention for missing homework too. I don't know how that would happen as ALL THREE have the exact same homework?!?!

Really now...

Thanks - you too!

Yikes!!! Not sure how that would happen?

Have a wonderful weekend!!!

Thanks! YOu too!

How great that Alli is doing well at school even when she is sick. I'm sorry to hear that V isn't doing that well at school.
Have a safe and great trip to your dad and foster-parents

Thanks!!! I hope you had a nice weekend too!

Have a good visit with your dad and foster family.
My daughter was like that too. She's very smart but didn't like homework. Luckily she straightened out and did well her senior year and in college.
I had an early shift today. It's strange being home in the evening. I've been closing a lot since two people retired. They haven't been able to find replacements yet. Hopefully they will soon.
Have a good weekend.
Liz

Thanks - we had a great visit... It was busy - but fun!

I hope you had a nice weekend, even though you had to work.

We had the same problems with my kids - Steven didn't see the point of homework so he would rarely turn it in. Shannon thought she couldn't compete with Andrew (who was a straight A student without trying) so she didn't try at all - until her junior year. She did a complete 180 and made the honor roll for the very first time.

Doing the homework and not turning it in just is silly though.

Have a great weekend!

It's just so frustrating... If she would just turn in her work - her grades would be fantastic... Her test scores are really awesome, and so are her quizzes... but not turning in her work really brings that grade down.

I hope you had a nicew eekend too!

Hi Dee - I loved following your trip report and can't wait to read your next PTR. I think that you wrapped this one up a lot sooner than the last one, too.

I can't wait for the weather to warm, up, too. It has been a very cold winter this year.

I had to ask how to find the emoticons, too. Just click on the little smilie face in the edit bar at the top of the post and they will appear. There are different emoticons on each of the tabs, something that took me awhile to find.

I know... It's supposed to be super nice here this week... Shorts and capris nice... And I'll be wearing them!

Hmmm... Still not seeing the above mentioned bar... do I have to go in to "edit post" to do it?

I hope you had a good trip up to your Dad's and that he is doing well. I have a St. Patricks day card ready to mail to him in a couple of days, and already have his Easter card. I try to stock up whenever I'm buying cards for anybody. Then I forget to get them in the mail on time…

I'm so glad your doctor visit went well. You have worked so hard, it's nice for your dr to recognize that and encourage you. It must feel great to know you are taking control of how you will age. In fact, you are aging backwards at this point! Keep it up!

Glad you got a lot done in your sewing room. I know someone who is anxious for you to finish.

I don't know if you know, but Dan and I are taking Miles to Disney in April. He was 5 in September, but didn't want to get on a plane at that point. Now he's ready and excited to go! We're staying at Pop.

Well, I hope you have a fabulous weekend and safe travels back home

THanks Lois!!! We did have a very nice trip - I will tell you all about it below. Thank you for the card for my dad... I asked him if he ever writes any of you back, and he says he doesn't... I poked him about it a little and told him it would be very nice if he did. I hope he does...

Hahaha... Not sure about the aging backwards, but I am looking and feeling better every day, and it feels good.

Yaya!!!! That will be an awesome trip! I am very excited for you! I am so glad he is over his fear of flying! Disney is a good incentive for that!

Thanks! We did! The same to you!

You can't find these?!?!

Seriously - no I can't. :(

I'm mostly a lurker but wanted to let you know I really enjoyed your trip report. I'm from Minnesota too and live just north of the cities. I know you lift weights and wanted to mention that may be the cause of your pain. My husband went in for chest pain and after testing they thought maybe it was acid reflux. It wasn't until he went in for a follow up the doctor figured out it was strain from lifting weights. He had been lifting for quite a while so never suspected that. I can't remember exactly what he did differently, but when he quit for a while it went away. Just something to consider maybe. I'm looking forward to your next pre-trip report.
Robyn

Hi Robyn! Welcome! It's great to have another MN neighbor here and reading along!

It's very possible... It's just now starting to go away - which is a relief. My other shoulder is still sore from my lift last Tuesday though, so I am debating on taking this week off from lifting, as well. I don't like to take time off - but I am supposed to... Like every 6 weeks or so... I have no taken time off of lifting since before Christmas, so I am a bit overdue.

Again - I am super happy to have you here! Thanks for giving me some additional insight! :lovestruc

****************************************************************************************

Thanks for all of your safe travel wishes... We had a very nice weekend.

The girls' Dr. appointments went well... They are both healthy.

We left the house on Friday afternoon... We had to stop at Josh's work to drop off his wallet - he'd forgotten it at home and didn't have any cash for gas...

Which put us driving through the metro at rush hour and added another hour on to our trip. I was a little annoyed by this, but nothing I could do about it.

We stopped to visit my dad for a little while... We had a nice visit, but it was short. I wish we could have stayed longer. I will be going back up there this Friday - so I didn't feel AS bad about it.

My foster-mom held dinner for us... Which was super nice, because we were all starving.

We had a fantastic weekend... We played lots of cards for quarters... After loaning quarters to all of the kids (and them paying me back) - I came home about $5 short of what I arrived with... I am pretty sure most of that went to V. LOL It was super fun!

Again... We had lots of contests... Planking the counters... Push ups... Arm wrestling...

20150307_205344.jpg

Poor Gus... Grandpa won... But Gus gave a really good fight. LOL Both of them had veins popping out of their heads. ::yes::

We also went bowling on Saturday night... Gus had the best game of 149... And I bowled the worst game at 51. Yah - I am a sucky bowler.

Sarah, Jesse and I...

20150307_183435.jpg

And all of the kids...

20150307_183417.jpg

Then yesterday morning, we all went to church...

We visited for a while, then the kids and I packed up and went to my Grandma's 95th birthday party... It was great seeing all of my relatives, most of them I don't see unless it's Christmas.

20150308_134107.jpg

We had a safe trip home... Gus drove my car the entire trip... Alli slept... V slept... and Gus and I chatted.

Overall - it was a great weekend and a lot of fun. The kids had a great time, and are already planning to go again.

Today... It's back to work for me... I will be in my sewing room all day, planning to finish up last week's bag.

I have to work out this morning though... I didn't eat very well this weekend... Lots of bread in my diet - which is unusual for me.

I will probably try to take a nap this afternoon... I didn't sleep well all weekend, and I woke at 2am this morning and couldn't go back to sleep. I am exhausted and it's only 5:30am. :/

I hope you all have a wonderful day today! And I hope you all had a nice weekend. Prayers and good thoughts go out to all of you! :grouphug:

D~

Hmmm... Still not seeing the above mentioned bar... do I have to go in to "edit post" to do it?

I think that the only way that you can't see this bar is if you have your settings on "Use BB Code editor".

When you scroll down to the end of your thread there should be a blank reply box. If you see a bar full of editing icons, like B, I, U, A, the link icon, the mail icon, etc, then you are using the Rich Text format. In that row of icons is the smilie face. That is where are the smilie icons are located.

If all you see is a blank box with the words Rich Text format down in the lower left corner, you are using BBC code editor. If you click on Rich Text editor it will take you to the reply box that has all the edit icons.

To toggle between those two editing formats you click on the box to the furthest upper right when in Rich Code editor. I will use the BB Code editor sometimes when I want to see the formatting code - like when I want to reduce the size of a font or delete a picture when I reply to a post.

Last edited:
Sounds like you had a great trip.

Here it's raining and the next minute it's snowing and then after a while it's raining again.

Sorry, I have been MIA. So much going on here. Glad you had a nice visit with everyone and that Gus got to meet the family.
Glad everyone got a great bill of health from the doctor. My germs are still lingering here. The doctor even extended my medication several more days. :crazy2: Cannot wait for your PTR to start. I need some "thoughts" for our upcoming trip. For some reason I just cannot get into it. I'll just blame it on the winter blues and the fact that my nephew and his family will be moving soon.
The time change here was a killer getting up this morning, but the good news......we are above 32 degrees :D!
Hope you have a great day in your sewing room, and have a great day!

:yay::daisy::sail:Yay! I found it!!! Now it's D's turn....where's the little nodding guy.....::yes:: Found him

Glad you had a good weekend.....poor Gus, beat by Grampa??? Ouch, that's gotta hurt!

Always love following along D! I have faith that you and the girls will find your way back to the World! Hugs!

Sounds like you had a very busy but fun weekend; your grandma looks amazing at 95! Glad to hear your Dad is well; is he keeping busy at his home? And good to hear both girls got good doctor reports; hope Allison is still taking it a little easy.

I have been seeing hints about your Allison Senior trip on some other Diser's reports (hey there Mo); cannot wait for the official PTR and announcement; I will keep tagging along! I cannot believe we are already headed towards mid-March - do your girls get a Spring Break on their school calendar?

I sent an email over whenever you get a chance. I know you have been super busy. Have a good eating and workout week; take care! Hugs and prayers, Carol

Kids and homework. My 16 yr old son Hunter was trying to tell me that homework doesn't count as much as it used to .... so it's no big deal if they don't turn in everything. .... Hello! If the teacher gives you homework, you do it! It's that simple! I love the fact that we can now check in every grade the teachers turn in for every assignment, quiz test etc... it's all online these days. Love it!
Sounds like you had a wonderful weekend with family! Enjoy that nice weather over on MN! I was outside today on my deck for 45 min just sitting there getting sunshine. 48 degrees! Woo hoo!

Can't wait for your new trip report to start. Like I said... you really should start a daily blog. You have have a wonderful writing style ~

your weekend looked amazing!!! SO SO MUCH FUN!!! Glad Gus was able to go and meet the family! Happy 95 BIRTHDAY GRANDMA!!!

It's tough.. You click on the smilie button next to the Image button Up there in the tool bar...

I have mine set up differently though - so it doens't have the smilies at the top. Like Sue described below. So, I guess I will just have to do them from memory?

I think that the only way that you can't see this bar is if you have your settings on "Use BB Code editor".

When you scroll down to the end of your thread there should be a blank reply box. If you see a bar full of editing icons, like B, I, U, A, the link icon, the mail icon, etc, then you are using the Rich Text format. In that row of icons is the smilie face. That is where are the smilie icons are located.

If all you see is a blank box with the words Rich Text format down in the lower left corner, you are using BBC code editor. If you click on Rich Text editor it will take you to the reply box that has all the edit icons.

To toggle between those two editing formats you click on the box to the furthest upper right when in Rich Code editor. I will use the BB Code editor sometimes when I want to see the formatting code - like when I want to reduce the size of a font or delete a picture when I reply to a post.

Yes, this is exactly why I don't see them, I use the bb code editor full time... I don't like how the other one jumps around on my screen. I have the emoticons that I use most often memorized anyways, so I guess I will just continue to do it that way.

Sounds like you had a great trip.

Here it's raining and the next minute it's snowing and then after a while it's raining again.

We did have a great trip, we are looking forward to going back again.

We are just coming into our rainy season... Most of our snow is completely gone, we just have the biggest piles that are remaining... A few more days like yesterday and our grass will start to green up too... I kind of like these low snow years - makes spring arrive quicker. It got up to 70° yesterday!

Sorry, I have been MIA. So much going on here. Glad you had a nice visit with everyone and that Gus got to meet the family.
Glad everyone got a great bill of health from the doctor. My germs are still lingering here. The doctor even extended my medication several more days. : Cannot wait for your PTR to start. I need some "thoughts" for our upcoming trip. For some reason I just cannot get into it. I'll just blame it on the winter blues and the fact that my nephew and his family will be moving soon.
The time change here was a killer getting up this morning, but the good news......we are above 32 degrees !
Hope you have a great day in your sewing room, and have a great day!

No worries Lynee - we are all busy.

It was fun for Gus to meet the family - it seemed like they all enjoyed him very much.

I sure hope you are feeing better now... It's no fun being sick!

Hopefully you are able to enjoy the trip planning process... How many more days do you have?

I know - I hate the time change... It throws everything off for weeks! We had our first 70° day yesterday - it was heavenly. I was wearing capris, but I think I could have easily done shorts - if my white legs wouldn't have been blinding. LOL

Yay! I found it!!! Now it's D's turn....where's the little nodding guy.....Found him

Glad you had a good weekend.....poor Gus, beat by Grampa??? Ouch, that's gotta hurt!

Yah - I won't ever find them, since I do all of my replies in BB code mode, as Sue described above. But I do have that one memorized. ::yes::

LOL Yes... I am sure Gus (and Grandpa) are now pumping iron in order to insure a retry next time. LOL

Always love following along D! I have faith that you and the girls will find your way back to the World! Hugs!

Thanks Ann! It's good to see you! I am working on it... I have a few bills to pay before I can start saving for our trips... but hopefully soon...

Sounds like you had a very busy but fun weekend; your grandma looks amazing at 95! Glad to hear your Dad is well; is he keeping busy at his home? And good to hear both girls got good doctor reports; hope Allison is still taking it a little easy.

I have been seeing hints about your Allison Senior trip on some other Diser's reports (hey there Mo); cannot wait for the official PTR and announcement; I will keep tagging along! I cannot believe we are already headed towards mid-March - do your girls get a Spring Break on their school calendar?

I sent an email over whenever you get a chance. I know you have been super busy. Have a good eating and workout week; take care! Hugs and prayers, Carol

Thanks Carol! Allison is still taking it a little easy... She is working on a huge project, which is due today... It's kept her up some pretty late nights, but hopefully now she can go a little easier.

I need to get moving on my Now N' Thens, so I can start a PTR... I've just been lazy...

Yes, our spring break is coming up... Next week or the week after - I can't remember. LOL

I did reply to your email last night... It was great catching up with you! :lovestruc

Kids and homework. My 16 yr old son Hunter was trying to tell me that homework doesn't count as much as it used to .... so it's no big deal if they don't turn in everything. .... Hello! If the teacher gives you homework, you do it! It's that simple! I love the fact that we can now check in every grade the teachers turn in for every assignment, quiz test etc... it's all online these days. Love it!
Sounds like you had a wonderful weekend with family! Enjoy that nice weather over on MN! I was outside today on my deck for 45 min just sitting there getting sunshine. 48 degrees! Woo hoo!

Can't wait for your new trip report to start. Like I said... you really should start a daily blog. You have have a wonderful writing style ~

LOL @ Hunter... Nice try. Hehehe... Well, it still counts here, and it adds up to be big numbers if it isn't turned in - hence our problem. I agree - I love having the ability to see their grades... We'd just gotten pretty lax about it, which we can't do with V.

We had a beautiful day here yesterday... It was 70°... And lovely! I was wearing capris and flip flops... I could have easily done shorts... I might today. :woohoo: Soooo ready for summer! I may even lay out on the deck for a while to get a little vitamin D. ::yes::

I have a blog (in my siggy), but it just isn't the same... I don't update it like I should... It's just so much easier to come here. But thank you - I do appreciate that a lot. :hug:

**********************************************************************************

I've had a busy few days... Nothing exciting... But I've been sick. :( Sore throat... crappy lungs... tired... Swollen lymphnodes... I keep thinking I may have mono, but then I wake up and my lymphnodes aren't swollen anymore. So I think I just have a virus. But the last 2 mornings, I've gone back to bed after the girls go to school - which is SUPER uncharacteristic of me. I even called in to work at Target yesterday - which I don't do very often either. Hopefully I am back to rights soon... Otherwise I will have to reschedule my trip to my dad's this weekend - which won't make him very happy.

I did do a little bit of work in my sewing room yesterday... Nothing exciting, but I was bored in between naps. I will be up there again today, but today I really do have to work.

Nothing else new or exciting going on... I'll try to spend some time today on Now N' Thens, so I can get this TR wrapped up... I know many of you are anxious to hear about the next trip. ::yes::

I hope you all have a wonderful day! Prayers and good thoughts go out to all of you! :grouphug:

D~

MK Now N' Thens...

Sadly - we did not have a lot of Now N' Thens from this trip...

gG23.jpg

CIMG3666.jpg

IMG_3140.jpg

20140826_090233.jpg

CIMG3542.jpg

IMG_3146.jpg

20140826_084208.jpg

zurg 2003

001.jpg

002.jpg

IMG_3179.jpg

IMG_1090.jpg

20140826_161146.jpg

I'm glad you had a great and safe trip. Your family sounds like a lot of fun! I don't expect any reply from your Dad. I just enjoy sending cards every so often to hopefully put a smile on his face and give him something to open other than junk mail.

I'm so sorry you are sick!! I am glad that you've gone back to bed and are taking care of yourself, though. Hope you get better quickly and can visit your Dad as planned. Are the girls going with you? What did your family think of Gus? Looks like he fit right in.

Get better, my friend!!:hug:

Love your then and now pics!! That's one thing Dan and I never did was deliberately take a photo at the same place each trip. Except I get one of him on the speeder right outside of Star Tours every time. Not much change in him over the years though…

BTW, in my profile pic, did you notice my Lady and the Tramp skirt? Check it out!

Sorry you're not feeling well.
It looks like you had a fun trip visiting family. Gus looks like he fits right in.
I enjoyed the then and now pictures. The girls have really grown up.
Hope you have a good day.
Liz

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!