• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A bit underwhelmed with Maui... can’t wait to get to Aulani!

tidefan

DIS Veteran
So, we are on our 2 week trip to Hawaii. This is our 3rd visit here with the previous two being Aulani/Waikoloa and just a week at Aulani. This time we are a week in Ka’anapali and a week at Aulani, followed by a few days at Disneyland!

I had heard about how so many people just love Maui better than all of the other islands, so I was prepared to be blown away, however, our week here so far has been just “meh”. I will say that our sunrise at Haleakalā was amazing as well as breakfast at Kula Lodge following, but on the whole, I haven’t really been blown away by Maui. It’s difficult to get around and it has more of a “70’s” vibe than either Oahu or the Big Island. Now, it’s fine, don’t get me wrong, but I think it’s a one and done for us...

Oh I have a question for you. What things did you do and like with your visits to Waikoloa? I am going there in January. Would love to hear your thoughts on it

So, we are on our 2 week trip to Hawaii. This is our 3rd visit here with the previous two being Aulani/Waikoloa and just a week at Aulani. This time we are a week in Ka’anapali and a week at Aulani, followed by a few days at Disneyland!

I had heard about how so many people just love Maui better than all of the other islands, so I was prepared to be blown away, however, our week here so far has been just “meh”. I will say that our sunrise at Haleakalā was amazing as well as breakfast at Kula Lodge following, but on the whole, I haven’t really been blown away by Maui. It’s difficult to get around and it has more of a “70’s” vibe than either Oahu or the Big Island. Now, it’s fine, don’t get me wrong, but I think it’s a one and done for us...

Just curious what you did in Maui? Did you snorkel or hike? or visit Lahaina? Or were you more into the "commercial" aspect of a resort experience? (not judging- we have friends who went to Maui and never left their poolside and said they'd never go again) We are heading to Maui for our 4th trip in January, but we stay in a condo (on a turtle cove), go to fruit markets, snorkel/beach everyday, and frequently hike. We've done Oahu, Kauai, and Big Island as well, but just love Maui. I'm just curious in what you experienced to make you feel that it was just Meh.

I am worried I will feel the same. We've done Aulani/Oahu (different parts of the island) twice and just LOVEit... I'm worried if we try Maui or another island we may be disappointed. We love Ko Olina, Kapolei, North Shore, Kaneohe/Kualoa, etc.

I am worried I will feel the same. We've done Aulani/Oahu (different parts of the island) twice and just LOVEit... I'm worried if we try Maui or another island we may be disappointed. We love Ko Olina, Kapolei, North Shore, Kaneohe/Kualoa, etc.

Maybe it has something to do with your first Hawaii experience. Maui was my first Island, and it was magical for me. Then I tried the Big Island and got a totally different feeling. The big Island has many beautiful areas, but it’s just not for me! Now going to Aulani for the first time on Oahu, and I’m concerned I won’t like it either! We shall see...but I just really want a beautiful relaxing area....with all I’ve heard about Aulani crowds it concerns me. We’re DVC members so it’s crazy for us not to use it. I’m keeping my fingers crossed.

Oh I have a question for you. What things did you do and like with your visits to Waikoloa? I am going there in January. Would love to hear your thoughts on it
We stayed on an exchange at The Bay Club at Waikoloa. It was a nice area and was extremely relaxing. The Big Island is neat to explore, especially Volcanoes National Park. There is a nice black sand beach on the way there as well. Also, it is fun to visit the Kona Brewery if you are into beer...

Maybe it has something to do with your first Hawaii experience. Maui was my first Island, and it was magical for me. Then I tried the Big Island and got a totally different feeling. The big Island has many beautiful areas, but it’s just not for me! Now going to Aulani for the first time on Oahu, and I’m concerned I won’t like it either! We shall see...but I just really want a beautiful relaxing area....with all I’ve heard about Aulani crowds it concerns me. We’re DVC members so it’s crazy for us not to use it. I’m keeping my fingers crossed.
Maybe. I think it could also be with where we are staying. We are at the Ka'anapali Beach Club (on my FIL's timeshare) and while it is nice enough, it doesn't seem as nice as ones down the beach. My one big complaint about Maui is that it seems that getting around is much more difficult than either Oahu or the Big Island.

Don't worry about Aulani. So many people confuse being on Oahu with being in Honolulu. Aulani is on the west coast and is 19 miles away from Honolulu. I'd say the Ko Olina area, if you want a Maui comparison, would remind you of Wailea. However, just go a couple of miles away and there is a Costco/Target/Safeway, etc., so it is still super convenient...

I think we loved Maui so was because our condo was right on a more secluded beach, and everyday we spent time relaxing and just hanging out as a family. It was our most relaxing part of our vacation, which we really appreciated. We could also snorkel and saw turtles everyday.

Maybe. I think it could also be with where we are staying. We are at the Ka'anapali Beach Club (on my FIL's timeshare) and while it is nice enough, it doesn't seem as nice as ones down the beach. My one big complaint about Maui is that it seems that getting around is much more difficult than either Oahu or the Big Island.

Don't worry about Aulani. So many people confuse being on Oahu with being in Honolulu. Aulani is on the west coast and is 19 miles away from Honolulu. I'd say the Ko Olina area, if you want a Maui comparison, would remind you of Wailea. However, just go a couple of miles away and there is a Costco/Target/Safeway, etc., so it is still super convenient...
When we did Haleakala, we enjoyed driving “upcountry” and seeing all the farms (my husband raises cattle). It was neat to see they have “country” just like we do, although if you live in Birmingham, maybe you prefer city? Also, there is a Krispy Kreme near the port—that makes everything better, right??!?! Anyway, hope you find a few things you like on Maui and enjoy the rest of your trip. Roll Tide!!

When we did Haleakala, we enjoyed driving “upcountry” and seeing all the farms (my husband raises cattle). It was neat to see they have “country” just like we do, although if you live in Birmingham, maybe you prefer city? Also, there is a Krispy Kreme near the port—that makes everything better, right??!?! Anyway, hope you find a few things you like on Maui and enjoy the rest of your trip. Roll Tide!!
Haleakala (and Kula Lodge) were the highlight of our week here. Really enjoyed the sunrise, though it was a REALLY early morning. I think if we comeback back to Maui, we’d try the Wailea area. Seemed more convenient than Kaanapali. There was a wreck in the tunnel yesterday and it was taking people 2 hours to get to Kahilui.

The other thing that’s put a damper on this is I had surgery 5 weeks ago and am still not clear to play golf...

On to Aulani today!

We prefer Oahu and Aulani to Maui as well. We have done Aulani/Oahu 4 times now and visited Maui 2 years ago. While we did some very awesome things we really love Oahu and exploring the island. There are just so many different things to do on Oahu depending on which way you go. We use Aulani as our base since we have DVC points and alternate travel/resort days.

We felt the same way about Maui. We stayed at the Westin in Kaanapali, which ironically was one of our favorite resorts, but the island itself was just good for us rather than great. Kauai blew us away with all the natural beauty, feeling the most exotic and remote of the three islands we visited. And Oahu has a little taste of everything - natural beauty (windward side), gorgeous beaches (Kailua/North Shore), city life (Waikiki), etc etc. Maui was somewhere in between Oahu and Kauai - smaller and less busy than Oahu, but more commercialized than Kauai. It was also very windy the entire time we were in Maui, which turned us off. We asked our shuttle driver if that was typical and he said yes. It did help keep the temperature manageable, but it made it difficult to enjoy the beach.

Let me say, thank you for not loving Maui. I love Maui and think it is getting too crowded. I love to swim in the ocean and love the small town feel of Lahaina. It is beyond relaxing for me. Every island has its own fans and that is ok. I am going to Oahu to visit Aulani for the first time in 29 years. I am excited to see Aulani, but I know it won't be a relaxing vacation that I enjoy on Maui. Have fun at Aulani!

We went to Maui in a February, and stayed at the same resort you are at. We used our DVC points and saw whales everyday from our balcony!

We have been thinking of going to Maui as well, so I think we will reconsider. We have been to Oahu twice, including one stay at Aulani (which was spectacular!). We also loved Turtle Bay in the North shore of Oahu, but it wasn't very swimmable because it was very cold and rocky. How was the water in Maui?

How was the water in Maui?

I'm not the OP, but we stayed in Maui in September in the Kaanapali beach region. The water was warm but the waves were ROUGH. So much so that they actually knocked me over. I'm not a strong swimmer, so I didn't feel comfortable going in past my knees. It was also quite windy the entire time and sand often blew in our faces while trying to lay on the beach. It wasn't the greatest beach experience for us, honestly.

Let me say, thank you for not loving Maui. I love Maui and think it is getting too crowded. I love to swim in the ocean and love the small town feel of Lahaina. It is beyond relaxing for me. Every island has its own fans and that is ok. I am going to Oahu to visit Aulani for the first time in 29 years. I am excited to see Aulani, but I know it won't be a relaxing vacation that I enjoy on Maui. Have fun at Aulani!
I think that you will find Ko'Olina is very different from the rest of Oahu...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter