A bit nervy. Flights help?

Domo

Wotcha
I'm going for (another) merry jaunt but have to make a flight connection in Abu Dhabi. Do I need to claim my luggage and re-check it in? Or is it automatically shunted to the second plane? How likely am I going to get lost in the air port?

In the U.S. when you are traveling internationally your bags are checked in on your departure flight and transferred for you to your final destination. Can't say if that's the universal policy though. :)

In the U.S. when you are traveling internationally your bags are checked in on your departure flight and transferred for you to your final destination. Can't say if that's the universal policy though. :)
huh? You have to clear customs somewhere (at least in the US). When we returned from Spain (via Paris), when we landed in Atlanta, we had to go through passport control, collect our luggage, do customs, then put our luggage back on a belt to go to the domestic terminals. When we flew TO Spain (again via Paris), I know we went through passport control in Paris, but I don't remember claiming our luggage.

huh? You have to clear customs somewhere (at least in the US). When we returned from Spain (via Paris), when we landed in Atlanta, we had to go through passport control, collect our luggage, do customs, then put our luggage back on a belt to go to the domestic terminals. When we flew TO Spain (again via Paris), I know we went through passport control in Paris, but I don't remember claiming our luggage.
Correct, for flights going into the US.
However, for flights leaving the US on an indirect routing then your bags are tagged to your international destination and you don't see them at the hub airport.
Check in at Tampa for London via Atlanta - bags transfer at Atlanta without you, you collect them in London.

ford family

When we flew from U.S. to Vancouver through Toronto, we had to claim our luggage in Toronto, and put it back through security again.

Correct, for flights going into the US.
However, for flights leaving the US on an indirect routing then your bags are tagged to your international destination and you don't see them at the hub airport.
Check in at Tampa for London via Atlanta - bags transfer at Atlanta without you, you collect them in London.

ford family
Tampa to Atlanta is domestic. There would be no need to collect luggage. Tampa to London via Paris... I don't think you collect your bags in Paris, but another country maybe? London to Orlando via New York? Collect your bags in NY, go through customs, put bags back on the belt and go to the NY -> MCO flight.

Abu Dhabi airport is extremely easy to walk around so even if you don't have a ton of time, you should be okay.

Are you flying the same airline (Etihad I'm assuming)? If you're flying the same airline and your ticket shows your ultimate destination, you won't have to recollect your luggage.

I am indeed flying with Etihad all the way through. I'm going from London Heathrow to Aby Dhabi through to Male International.

I am indeed flying with Etihad all the way through. I'm going from London Heathrow to Aby Dhabi through to Male International.

Then you won't have to collect your bags in Abu Dhabi. You will find them in Male.

Just curious, are you then going to the Maldives? I'm going in Feb, so excited.

Then you won't have to collect your bags in Abu Dhabi. You will find them in Male.

Just curious, are you then going to the Maldives? I'm going in Feb, so excited.

I am and I LOVE IT THERE! The climate is a steady warmth, the locals charming, the sights unparalleled, the excursions plentiful and cheap and the food delicious! Where are you staying? I'm headed to my favourite bolt-hole, Bandos Resort.

I am and I LOVE IT THERE! The climate is a steady warmth, the locals charming, the sights unparalleled, the excursions plentiful and cheap and the food delicious! Where are you staying? I'm headed to my favourite bolt-hole, Bandos Resort.

Park Hyatt Maldives. Cashed in a bunch of points to go, otherwise it'd be way out of my means.

Tampa to Atlanta is domestic. There would be no need to collect luggage. Tampa to London via Paris... I don't think you collect your bags in Paris, but another country maybe? London to Orlando via New York? Collect your bags in NY, go through customs, put bags back on the belt and go to the NY -> MCO flight.

Depends on the airport and country. My folks told me that their flight through a 3rd country included through check in.

My BIL flew home through San Francisco once and we met him for lunch. He had to collect his baggage and go through customs since it was his first stop in the US. His connection was also at another terminal.

That can make things tricky. One of the few ways to legally bring personal alcohol into Utah is the duty free allowance from a direct international flight. Those with connecting flights to SLC have found their alcohol confiscated. I heard sometimes even at customs at the connecting stop.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter