• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

A Birthday Celebration Extravaganza ... The Pre-TR! 7/6 UPDATE

It all made sense to me! Enjoying your PTR so far :thumbsup2

It's so funny how easy it is to rationalize large expenses when they are Disney related :lmao:

Haha I'm trying to convince my husband that we need the same passes! We're taking DD back to Disneyland for her birthday in March, and then going to WDW that October.

Unfortunately I already had a two park premiere pass- and our WDW trip ended up not happening because we were matched with DD. So... DH keeps saying that a WDW trip is never certain....

Good luck!

Sounds like the exact same worries Candi is having. He keeps telling me "what if this?" or "what if that?" My head knows he's right, but my Disney heart says take the leap of faith :rotfl:

It's so funny how easy it is to rationalize large expenses when they are Disney related :lmao:

Sounds like the exact same worries Candi is having. He keeps telling me "what if this?" or "what if that?" My head knows he's right, but my Disney heart says take the leap of faith :rotfl:

Have you seen the new prices?? A Disneyland Premium pass is $649:mad::mad::mad:!!!! I am appalled! I remember when that pass was $199. What's even worse is the premiere pass is now $849- so you're telling me a WDW pass is only worth $200???

It looks like our days of being Disneyland APs are llloonngg gone which makes me SO sad!

I am joining in! We are at 120 days out now, and I for one am excited!!

Have you seen the new prices?? A Disneyland Premium pass is $649:mad::mad::mad:!!!! I am appalled! I remember when that pass was $199. What's even worse is the premiere pass is now $849- so you're telling me a WDW pass is only worth $200???

It looks like our days of being Disneyland APs are llloonngg gone which makes me SO sad!

Holy moly! I just read that on allears after I read your post. That is complete insanity! That makes what my next post is about even more relevant ... and depressing :sad1:

I am joining in! We are at 120 days out now, and I for one am excited!!

WAHOO - being under the 6 month mark always gets me so excited :dance3:

Confession time ... I have been putting off updating about this trip because it seems like it is falling out of reach for us. For reasons I'd rather keep personal, we have had to deplete our savings account which makes it hard to rationalize such an expensive trip :sad1:.

With that being said, this is a memory we would really like to create for James so we haven't given up hope yet. In trying to make this trip work, we sat down and made a pretty detailed layout of how much this trip will cost us.

Since y'all are probably more accustomed to Disneyland and the supporting costs I'm hoping you will be able to help me out.

So ... here we go ...

5 day park hopper tickets x 2 adults = $580

Round trip flight x 2 adults + 1 way x 1 child = $789

*** 2 things to note on the flight. First, we almost always fly Southwest because it is generally cheapest. They don't have fares posted for January yet, so this is an estimate based off the same days on months that are released. Second, since James will turn 2 on the trip we will not have to buy his plane ticket on the way there, but will on the way back. Is this correct? ***

Spending Money: $100 x 5 days = $500

*** This is the standard we always use when we go on trips. This includes souvenirs, snacks, forgotten items at home etc ***

Rental Car: $160

*** We always rent a car because we like to venture outside of Disney to go to the beach, the store etc ***

Gas: $150

Food: $760 :scared1::scared1::scared1:

It breaks down as follows ...

Jan 17: Breakfast in airport - $40, Lunch @ Napolini - $30, Dinner @ Blue Bayou - $115

Jan 18: Breakfast @ Jazz Kitchen Express - $25, Lunch @ Whitewater Snacks in hotel - $35, Dinner @ Rainforest Café - $60

Jan 19: Breakfast @ Whitewater Snacks - $35, Lunch @ Plaza Inn - $45, Dinner @ Storyteller’s Café - $80

Jan 20: Breakfast @ Storytellers - $70, Lunch @ Napolini - $30, Dinner @ ESPN Zone - $70

Jan 21: Breakfast @ Carnation Café - $40, Lunch @ Whitewater Snacks - $35, Dinner in airport - $50

Grand Total (for everything): $2,939 :sad2:

With 17 paychecks left before the trip it breaks down to $172.88 per check.

This absolutely will not work for us. With the hours I've been getting lately that is basically putting half of my check back for the trip.

So - what's your advice? How can we cut back? I know the obvious place is food. What restaurants do you recommend as replacements for the ones we are looking at?

We tried to choose food based off of places we have been and enjoyed, places that have menus that we find appealing, and a variety of foods to try.

Any tips or tricks you have for saving money when you go to Disneyland?

Thanks in advance for all the help :goodvibes

I'm really sorry to hear you've had some unexpected issues come up. That really stinks :(

I don't know how much more feasible it makes it, but here's a few savings area's that I've found.

1) Do you know you get a DVC discount on food (and several DTD restaurants) of like 15-20%? Over 5 days, that adds up fast! It looks like even if you kept your food options as is, and the discount was only 15% at Disney restaurants, this alone would still save you a little over $100

2) Purchase your park hoppers through Tickets at Work, This will save you an additional $104.99. If you don't have access to Tickets at Work, let me know, I can help you with that.

3) I would change a lot of your meal choices honestly. You're planning A LOT of food at restaurants that take a lot of time, and are quite spendy. I think you could easily cut your food budget in half by doing the following:

- Eat breakfast in your hotel room. Utilize having a car, and make a grocery run to get milk, yogurt, fruit, juice (there's a fridge in the room), cereal, breakfast bars, etc. Also grab some snacks.

- Cut out your Table Service restaurants. Maybe do 1 instead of 1 every day. They're more expensive, take time away from the park, and include gratuity. There are a lot of great counter service places to eat in the park. What types of food do you like- I can help you make some decisions on which one's you'd like to eat at. Also utilize your DVC Discount.

4) With purchasing snacks, I think you could easily change your per day spending from $100 to $60 or even $50.

So, here's what I've got for you:

A) Savings on tickets: $104.99
B) Food Budget: $380
C) Daily Spending:$200

Total Savings: $685

Is driving a possibility? Or reducing your trip by 1 day?

I'm really sorry to hear you've had some unexpected issues come up. That really stinks :(

I don't know how much more feasible it makes it, but here's a few savings area's that I've found.

1) Do you know you get a DVC discount on food (and several DTD restaurants) of like 15-20%? Over 5 days, that adds up fast! It looks like even if you kept your food options as is, and the discount was only 15% at Disney restaurants, this alone would still save you a little over $100

2) Purchase your park hoppers through Tickets at Work, This will save you an additional $104.99. If you don't have access to Tickets at Work, let me know, I can help you with that.

3) I would change a lot of your meal choices honestly. You're planning A LOT of food at restaurants that take a lot of time, and are quite spendy. I think you could easily cut your food budget in half by doing the following:

- Eat breakfast in your hotel room. Utilize having a car, and make a grocery run to get milk, yogurt, fruit, juice (there's a fridge in the room), cereal, breakfast bars, etc. Also grab some snacks.

- Cut out your Table Service restaurants. Maybe do 1 instead of 1 every day. They're more expensive, take time away from the park, and include gratuity. There are a lot of great counter service places to eat in the park. What types of food do you like- I can help you make some decisions on which one's you'd like to eat at. Also utilize your DVC Discount.

4) With purchasing snacks, I think you could easily change your per day spending from $100 to $60 or even $50.

So, here's what I've got for you:

A) Savings on tickets: $104.99
B) Food Budget: $380
C) Daily Spending:$200

Total Savings: $685

Is driving a possibility? Or reducing your trip by 1 day?

Thanks for all the tips :goodvibes

I had no idea that DVC offered a discount on dining. When we do WDW we always do the dining plan, so it never occurred to me to check into that. I will definitely look that up and work those savings into our budget :thumbsup2

I guess I must not have access to Tickets at Work, because I have no idea what it is :laughing: But I love the idea of being able to save $104!!! If you could send me info or how to access it that would be great!

Yeah, we've already started working on altering the food options. The problem is that we don't really know what DL has to offer. We've been a couple times, but always eaten at the same places (most listed in our initial budget). We know for sure we want to do a character meal on James' birthday. Any recommendations?

I suggested driving to Candi and he looked at me like I had 3 heads :rotfl: He said he would rather cut the trip by a day than spend that much time in the car.

We've been working on areas to trim back and I will definitely use some of these to work in there. Thanks again!

Hi Everyone! I hope you are having a great start to your weekend :goodvibes We have a graduation party to attend today and then tomorrow we are off to the Botanical Gardens for a picnic and visit to the butterfly exhibit. I'm excited to see how James reacts to all the butterflies and he always loves sitting on the grass while eating - should be a great day!

In what little downtime we've had, the Hubs and I have been working on cutting down the cost of our trip. We started with the food and made quite a few changes that have made a good dent in the overall budget.

We sat down together and looked over a bunch of menus on AllEars and tried to get a feel for what options are really available. From there we talked about which choices we made prior that we really didn't want to eliminate. Finally, we discussed how we really don't eat like we used to (thanks to losing 50 pounds between the two of us :woohoo:) and that, although vacation is always a time when we lay the diets to rest - our stomachs really wouldn't be able to tolerate 3 huge meals a day.

So, with all that said here is what we are looking at now

Jan 17: Breakfast in airport - $25, Lunch @ Napolini - $30, Dinner @ Café Orleans - $75

Jan 18: Breakfast in room - $0 (pre-purchased), Lunch @ Whitewater Snacks in hotel - $35, Dinner @ Rainforest Café - $60

Jan 19: Breakfast in room - $0 (pre-purchased), Lunch @ CS in park - $35, Dinner @ CS in park - $35

Jan 20: Breakfast @ Storytellers - $70, Lunch @ CS in park - $35, “My Disneyland Birthday Party” - $55 Dinner @ Jazz Kitchen Express - $30, dessert @ cupcake store - $20

Jan 21: Breakfast in hotel - $0 (pre-purchased), Lunch @ Whitewater Snacks - $35, Dinner in airport - $40

As you'll see almost all the breakfasts are listed as pre-purchased. Since Candi isn't a huge fan of breakfast there is no reason to venture out to a restaurant each day for it. The one exception is on James' birthday - we both agree that we want to do a character breakfast on that day.

We are hoping to grab breakfast items (and a few other things) on our arrival day either on the way to the hotel, or shortly after dropping all our stuff off and checking in.

Does anybody know of a Super Target that is near the Disneyland resort?

We are looking at buying milk, bottled waters, #2 candle, lighter or matches, bagels, cream cheese, bananas, oranges, Gogurts (the only way James will eat yogurt :laughing:), cereal, granola bars, juice, and, possibly, Candi's hot chocolate supplies. These will also serve as items for most of James' snacks when we take breaks in the room each day. Does $60 seem like a reasonable budget for all that? I don't know how much more groceries cost in CA :confused3

Also, do you guys know what the size of the fridge is in the studio rooms at Grand Californian Villas? I'm assuming it's the dorm size fridge. Is this big enough for a gallon of milk? Or would 1/2 gallon be more realistic?

So, with all those numbers that brings our food budget down from $760 to $640. But, thanks to Jen, I also realized that most restaurants give a discount to DVC members, so I pulled up the information on that and found that with the different discounts we will save an additional $32. Bringing the new amount to $608 - a savings so far of $152 :thumbsup2

Also, what are the temperatures like in January (17-21)? Is it cold enough to enjoy hot chocolate in the evenings? Weird question, kinda, but in the winter we have a tradition of drinking hot chocolate (chocolate milk for the little guy!) each night.

And, not food related, but what are the temperatures like in the daytime? We are trying to decide if it makes sense to plan a beach day or not. Not necessarily to get in the ocean, but just to enjoy being on the beach, the pier etc.

Have a great weekend everyone :goodvibes

Since you will have a car, would you consider eating a couple of meals off property? Maybe join some restaurant email clubs (make sure to use DL's zip code). I've joined severaL of these clubs, Monk's Cafe and Millis's are always sending me buy one, get one free coupons. Also check anaheimoc.org and they offer a few coupons for places like California Pizza Kitchen and Rainforest Cafe.

I booked my trip to DL through Costco Travel, still technically through Disney. Our package included the hotel for 5 nights (Desert Palms), 3 day ph, a $20 Disney gift card and a free character meal. You just have make the $200 deposit and you have until 30 days out to pay it off.

For January, the first time we went to DL we would grab a hot chocolate and watch the parade and fireworks. We found during the day we would wear capris shirts and tshirts with a hoodie and would be fine, but in the evening we would put pants on the kids at least, it was chilly when the sun went down, but its all depending what you can handle for cold!

Sounds like you have a great trip planned so far! There is a Target a short distance away, I am not sure if its a super target, but I do know there is a Vons close by as well.

Oh and we did a beach walking on the pier day as well, dipped our toes in the water, but did not go swimming, to cold for us!

Since you will have a car, would you consider eating a couple of meals off property? Maybe join some restaurant email clubs (make sure to use DL's zip code). I've joined severaL of these clubs, Monk's Cafe and Millis's are always sending me buy one, get one free coupons. Also check anaheimoc.org and they offer a few coupons for places like California Pizza Kitchen and Rainforest Cafe.

I booked my trip to DL through Costco Travel, still technically through Disney. Our package included the hotel for 5 nights (Desert Palms), 3 day ph, a $20 Disney gift card and a free character meal. You just have make the $200 deposit and you have until 30 days out to pay it off.

Thanks so much for the website for anaheimoc! I have it bookmarked on my computer to look at what's available once we get closer. I'm a big fan of coupons and discounts (that's why I was asking about a Target - I have their debit card so I save 5% on every purchase!)

For January, the first time we went to DL we would grab a hot chocolate and watch the parade and fireworks. We found during the day we would wear capris shirts and tshirts with a hoodie and would be fine, but in the evening we would put pants on the kids at least, it was chilly when the sun went down, but its all depending what you can handle for cold!

Sounds like you have a great trip planned so far! There is a Target a short distance away, I am not sure if its a super target, but I do know there is a Vons close by as well.

Oh and we did a beach walking on the pier day as well, dipped our toes in the water, but did not go swimming, to cold for us!

We went once (many years back) in December and wore jeans/khakis and tees during the day, adding a hoody most nights and feeling fine. I was thinking January might be similar but wasn't certain. Thanks for your feedback!

What is Vons? Is it a grocery store?

The (we are going to stay positive and believe this trip is still going to happen) Plan: Travel Day!

One of our favorite things about traveling to CA is the short flight! This allows us to take a later morning flight and still arrive well before dinner time (so much different than when we go to FL) :thumbsup2

So, our hope is to take a flight around 10ish and get to CA sometime before 3. From there we will get our luggage and grab the shuttle to the rental car place (need to find the best deal and choose one!) so our vacation can officially begin! With any hope we won't have the same debacle as last time having to switch rental cars 3 times before we are allowed to leave the lot - apparently choose any car in row 20 doesn't actually mean any car :confused3

From there we will plug in the address to the nearest Super Target to DL into our trusty little phone's GPS so that we can pick up supplies for the week. I posted the shopping list in my previous update and don't expect it to change much, if at all. Also, the reason we are hoping for a Super Target is, well, one I adore Target :laughing: But, also because I am such a faithful shopper there that I have their debit card, saving me 5% on each purchase. Oh, and I may or may not be a master at coupon stacking there :rolleyes1

After we have collected all our supplies we will then enter the hotels address into that trusty 'lil GPS and head to our home for the next 5 days! Our booking window opens up in a couple weeks so very soon I will be able to tell you where exactly that home will be :thumbsup2

My hope is that our room will be ready upon checking-in, and my guess is that it will be after 4 at this point, so it should be. We will then head up and unpack, get settled and possibly give the little guy a nap before heading out for the night.

Originally, I wanted to grab pizza at Napolini (love it!) after checking-in for a late lunch. But, I realize now that we will more than likely have to grab food somewhere after we get our rental car. Oh well! I will have 4 more days to get my pizza fix!

That night we are planning to hit Disneyland (if the park hours are similar to this years) to just absorb the sights and sounds and let that vacation feeling sink in. At some point we will grab dinner at New Orleans Cafe - originally we had planned on Blue Bayou, but after I found out Candi only wanted it for the Gumbo, I quickly changed that up to save (quite) a few bucks!

We will wrap up the night watching the fireworks before heading back to the room to get some much needed sleep for the next day!

Sounds wonderful! I wish we had a car, I will miss that, but its to expensive to rent something for all 6 of us.

Yes Vons is a grocery store, owned by Safeway I think but could be very wrong!!LOL

There is a super target on Harbor (the same main road DL is on) down by the Marriott Suites, Outback, Joes Crab Shack, Red Robin. If you turn right on Harbor from the park, and keep going, it'll be on your right. It's maybe 3 minutes from the resort?

I've had January be hit or miss. Sometimes it's chilly, sometimes it's just nice. However I think in the evening if you WANT hot chocolate, you can have it, and be reasonably comfortable having it.

I'm going to PM you some stuff on Tickets at Work :)

My favorite "quick service" restaurants at Disney are:
- Bangle BBQ (in Adventureland). It's skewered meats and veggies that are SUPER tasty and yummy. There is very limited seating though.
- The Golden Horseshoe (in the Frontier Land/New Orleans Square transition). It's inside, lots of seating, and really yummy.
- Coca Cola Refreshment Corner (best chili dog in the park)
- Boardwalk Pizza and Pasta (near the Grand Californian entrance in DCA). They have lots of options- flat bread pizza, pasta, salad, and right next to them in the same pavillion they have greek options like a gyro, slovaki chicken, etc.
- The Lucky Fortune (in the Wharf area of DCA) they have orange chicken, sweet and sour chicken, etc. It's kind of like a Panda Express, but the meat is much better then Panda.
- Pacific Wharf Cafe (in the wharf area of DCA) DELICIOUS breadbowls, wraps, and salads!
- Taste Pilots Grill (near Soaring). They have one of my favorite salads in the park!

(Sorry- we've been in Tennessee for an emergency trip the last few days, so I haven't had a chance to reply).

Sounds wonderful! I wish we had a car, I will miss that, but its to expensive to rent something for all 6 of us.

Yes Vons is a grocery store, owned by Safeway I think but could be very wrong!!LOL

The rental car is actually one of the first things we looked at eliminating. But with the money we will save on picking up breakfast items/snacks and not paying for the shuttle it pretty much breaks even for us. So we kept it. Candi can't remember a trip without having at least a partial beach day, so that's an important part of the trip for him.

There is a super target on Harbor (the same main road DL is on) down by the Marriott Suites, Outback, Joes Crab Shack, Red Robin. If you turn right on Harbor from the park, and keep going, it'll be on your right. It's maybe 3 minutes from the resort?

I've had January be hit or miss. Sometimes it's chilly, sometimes it's just nice. However I think in the evening if you WANT hot chocolate, you can have it, and be reasonably comfortable having it.

I'm going to PM you some stuff on Tickets at Work :)

My favorite "quick service" restaurants at Disney are:
- Bangle BBQ (in Adventureland). It's skewered meats and veggies that are SUPER tasty and yummy. There is very limited seating though.
- The Golden Horseshoe (in the Frontier Land/New Orleans Square transition). It's inside, lots of seating, and really yummy.
- Coca Cola Refreshment Corner (best chili dog in the park)
- Boardwalk Pizza and Pasta (near the Grand Californian entrance in DCA). They have lots of options- flat bread pizza, pasta, salad, and right next to them in the same pavillion they have greek options like a gyro, slovaki chicken, etc.
- The Lucky Fortune (in the Wharf area of DCA) they have orange chicken, sweet and sour chicken, etc. It's kind of like a Panda Express, but the meat is much better then Panda.
- Pacific Wharf Cafe (in the wharf area of DCA) DELICIOUS breadbowls, wraps, and salads!
- Taste Pilots Grill (near Soaring). They have one of my favorite salads in the park!

(Sorry- we've been in Tennessee for an emergency trip the last few days, so I haven't had a chance to reply).

Awesome, thanks for the info on Target! Sounds super easy to get to.

Thank you, I will be on the lookout for your PM :goodvibes

All the info on the "QS" meals are very helpful. I already had Golden Horseshoe and Pacific Wharf Care on my list from looking up menus. There are a couple others I will have to add to my list of possibilities now too :thumbsup2

Well, it's official, the trip has been cancelled :sad:

There are just too many obstacles in the way this time.

We are still trying to recover from our current financial situation and it's just not a smart choice to continue on with it. It breaks my heart in so many ways, but I know it's the right thing to do.

On the bright side of things, I am getting to go to Kansas in September to meet my Niece, Spencer. My sister has her C-section scheduled for August 27. I want to give her and her Husband time to be together as a new family of 3, but she has asked that I come out mid-September to be with her when he has to go back to work. And that is definitely something to look forward to!

Thank you everyone for following along and for trying so hard to help keep this trip a reality for us. It means so much to me!!!

Well, it's official, the trip has been cancelled :sad:

There are just too many obstacles in the way this time.

We are still trying to recover from our current financial situation and it's just not a smart choice to continue on with it. It breaks my heart in so many ways, but I know it's the right thing to do.

On the bright side of things, I am getting to go to Kansas in September to meet my Niece, Spencer. My sister has her C-section scheduled for August 27. I want to give her and her Husband time to be together as a new family of 3, but she has asked that I come out mid-September to be with her when he has to go back to work. And that is definitely something to look forward to!

Thank you everyone for following along and for trying so hard to help keep this trip a reality for us. It means so much to me!!!

So sorry you had to cancel.:sad1: You've got to do what's best for your family. It just means when you do get there, it will be even more special because you were able to overcome so much to do it. We'll be here waiting for an announcement when you are able to go.:cheer2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter