A Bash, a Benson, and a Banshee: A DIS 20th Event Solo Trip ** new Aug 2nd, 2017 - Complete! **

Part 16: Breakfast at The Grand
Thursday June 1st 9:00am - 10:45am

Prior to the trip, a DISer, Christy (@bamacmac) reached out to me and asked if I would be interested in joining her and some others for breakfast - an invite I quickly accepted ... I was touched that she would think of me

She offered to pick me up at Pop, along with another friend, Rob at ~9am which she did, and she also had her friend Don in the car as well - it would be the four of us having breakfast together. We were heading over to the Grand Floridian to have breakfast at the Grand Floridian Cafe - which I had never eaten at but had heard good things about

We arrived and quickly took in the surroundings

01_Arriving%20at%20the%20GF.jpg

Flatties Heidi and PJ were very excited to be somewhere so fancy - they had to take a closer look at the fancy car

02_Flatties%20at%20GF.jpg
03_Flatties%20by%20classic%20car.jpg

One funny thing that happened is that I had on a button this day that had a picture of Princess Leia on it and the quote "To me she's royalty" ... well the greeter there (not the famous Richard at this time, but someone playing the same role) saw the button but I guess didn't get a good view at it and thought it was a "just married" button or something and wished me a "Happily Ever After" ... to which my first thought was "but she's dead?!?!?!"

Moving on

We walked through the lobby and commented on how much we all appreciated that they had tons of beautiful and real flower arrangements - and it was either Rob or Don that commented that having real flower arrangements is a requirement if you are a 4 diamond hotel or whatever it is the level the Grand Floridian is at.

We then walked to the Grand Floridian Cafe - I honestly didn't take that many pictures as we were just talking a lot - it was nice to be with fellow Disney fans and also just good people and we seemed to have an easy conversation.

I did get pictures of the menu - they serve both breakfast and lunch during this time. I also love that they have a section that instead of just being "side items" or something, they call them "Enhancements". I also like that the drink section had "anytime cocktails"

04_menu_1.jpg
05_Enhancements.jpg

I think between us we all got either the pancakes or the french toast. I went for the Floridian Pancakes (which had roasted pecans, sun-dried cranberries, and house-made orange butter) with sausage. Oh. My. Goodness. These were so good. and a lot to eat but I honestly ate more than I thought of it they were so good ... highly recommend! Flatties Heidi and PJ were into them as well

06_Pancakes.jpg
07_Flatties%20with%20Pancakes.jpg

One interesting thing that happened during breakfast is that there was another guest there (who, from what I could hear came there all the time) and was known the the staff as Pumpkinhead and he knew all of them, etc. Well, before he left he made this very loud noise on a turkey caller and announced the the room "Happy Thanksgiving everyone!" .... keep in mind it was June 1st - so, um, yeah. Wasn't sure what to make of it.

We spent a while just chatting and enjoying the time really - talking about our plans for the rest of the day and our time at WDW. Christy did get a good photo of us - when it comes to Selfies I am at like a kindergartner level and she has a PhD (that Rob on the left of the photo, then me, then Don, and then Christy)

08_Me%20with%20Christy%20Don%20and%20Rob%20at%20GF.jpg

Then we made our way out. Rob and I headed to the bus stop - until Rob realized he actually was going to head to EPCOT so had to backtrack to go take the monorail while I was heading to Disney Springs

Coming up - souvenir shopping and another DISmeet-up and another new-to-me restaurant

TTFN

Nice little DIS meet! Very sweet of Christy to put together a mini meet for breakfast and WOW those pancakes look delicious!

One funny thing that happened is that I had on a button this day that had a picture of Princess Leia on it and the quote "To me she's royalty" ... well the greeter there (not the famous Richard at this time, but someone playing the same role) saw the button but I guess didn't get a good view at it and thought it was a "just married" button or something and wished me a "Happily Ever After" ... to which my first thought was "but she's dead?!?!?!
:rotfl:

Ok first sounds the the greeter needs an eye exam :rolleyes1 and second I love that pin and agree Princess Leia should be a Disney princess princess:
Your pancakes look so good and that's great you got to share breakfast with some fellow DISer's.

Congratulations on your progress on the virtual 5K series. I should probably get into that, but like you, running has just never been my thing. I've at least been getting myself out during my lunch hour and I try to go walk 2 miles at least 2 - 3 times each week at an outdoor outlet mall near where I work. It's at least getting me into Disney shape for our trip. :rotfl:

One interesting thing that happened during breakfast is that there was another guest there (who, from what I could hear came there all the time) and was known the the staff as Pumpkinhead and he knew all of them, etc. Well, before he left he made this very loud noise on a turkey caller and announced the the room "Happy Thanksgiving everyone!" .... keep in mind it was June 1st - so, um, yeah. Wasn't sure what to make of it.
I've always thought the GF lacks a little bit of class. Clearly he's just stopping by to help class the place up a little bit. :lmao:

Looks like a nice morning with some Dis friends. The breakfast food itself didn't look too bad either.

I think it's great that you did one of your runs on Disney property!

Sounds like not only a yummy breakfast but one with nice company! Great start to the day.

This is a great trip report, and I'm looking forward to seeing more! Sorry I haven't posted for a while. I have been without much internet for the past week and a half so it was hard for me to keep up.

Thanks for the recognition, but you and @rteetz helped me with the event also, so thank you both for your help on the AK events.

Nice little DIS meet! Very sweet of Christy to put together a mini meet for breakfast and WOW those pancakes look delicious!

It was a really nice time - and, to be honest, to take some time out and just chill at a breakfast (without characters), is just not something we do typically on a Disney trip so it was really nice and I am super glad it worked out

And yeah, the pancakes were amazing!

Those pancakes look sooooo goooooood!!! I love eating at new places!

I did have trouble deciding on these or the French Toast but these seemed a little more unique and they were great so I am very glad I got them!

;)

Ok first sounds the the greeter needs an eye exam :rolleyes1 and second I love that pin and agree Princess Leia should be a Disney princess princess:
Your pancakes look so good and that's great you got to share breakfast with some fellow DISer's.

Yeah, it was just odd as it took me a minute to take in what he said and why, etc. but hey, made for a good story!

breakfast was definitely great - both the food and the company!

Congratulations on your progress on the virtual 5K series. I should probably get into that, but like you, running has just never been my thing. I've at least been getting myself out during my lunch hour and I try to go walk 2 miles at least 2 - 3 times each week at an outdoor outlet mall near where I work. It's at least getting me into Disney shape for our trip. :rotfl:

I've always thought the GF lacks a little bit of class. Clearly he's just stopping by to help class the place up a little bit. :lmao:

Looks like a nice morning with some Dis friends. The breakfast food itself didn't look too bad either.

yeah, I used to say I only run when chased, but it has become a bit easier the more I have gotten into it. Still can't imagine running even a half marathon or anything, but I never thought I would be running as many 5Ks as I have been so who knows. I think a realistic target is to do a 10k sometime actually at Disney (likely the Food and Wine related one)

Definitely bringing *something* to the GF!

And definitely a very nice breakfast - but the actual food and the company!

I think it's great that you did one of your runs on Disney property!

Sounds like not only a yummy breakfast but one with nice company! Great start to the day.

Thanks! It just seemed like one of those things where I would be there just at the beginning of the time period to do one of the races so it would be perfect to get it done - and I am glad to have done it (and I survived!)

Absolutely! A very good start to the day!

This is a great trip report, and I'm looking forward to seeing more! Sorry I haven't posted for a while. I have been without much internet for the past week and a half so it was hard for me to keep up.

Thanks for the recognition, but you and @rteetz helped me with the event also, so thank you both for your help on the AK events.

Well, I think you have a pretty good excuse! Can't wait to read more about your trip!

You did a lot of the formal organizing and keeping track of people, etc - I know that isn't easy and it was very much appreciated!

Awesome breakfast! Christy is awesome, and I love chatting with Rob during the Disneyland show.

breakfast was great and I am so glad I got to spend some time with Christy (we said a quick 'hi' at the 10th anniversary party last year, but that was really it) and it was nice to meet Rob and Don as well - definitely all were easy to talk to and I think we had a great time

Late to the party but love this TR, very detailed! Thanks for all the pandora info!

:welcome: thank you for joining and glad you are enjoying it so far. I think the fact I knew I was going to get to go so soon into the opening motivated me to stay up to speed on the developments of Pandora and just more invested in the land - it really is a cool area to visit!

Isn't this a lifelong lesson? Lol

simpson_alcohol.jpg

Just read through the rest of your Animal Kingdom adventures. Sounds like a fantastic day with good DIS-friends. And all that time in Pandora was awesome too, I'm sure. Can't wait to see it myself in a few months!

Good job on your run at Pop. I am not a runner either, but even the idea of running at Disney doesn't motivate me. :blush: My dad and step-mom both have many marathons (and longer!) under their belts and have tried to get me to join them on a 5K that serves chocolate stuff at the end. They're like, "You can even just walk it." And I'm like, "So, I have to get up super early and get all organized/checked in to walk and then have chocolate? I can go for a walk and eat some chocolate at home anytime." :confused3 (But I don't want to make myself out as super lazy - I just have no desire to RUN or participate in a crowded event - I actually LOVE to walk and generally do at least 10k steps per day.) Sorry for the tangent, just wanted to let you know that you did good getting yourself motivated that early morning! :goodvibes

Good for you for getting up early to run! I walk three miles every morning, but rarely on vacation. I always figure I'm getting plenty of walking in at Disney.

I've stayed at Art of Animation and have seen that trail. I never realized it was only 1.25 miles around the perimeter of the lake. I would have guessed it longer.

Your pancakes looked really tasty and a great way to start the day with good company.

Just read through the rest of your Animal Kingdom adventures. Sounds like a fantastic day with good DIS-friends. And all that time in Pandora was awesome too, I'm sure. Can't wait to see it myself in a few months!

Good job on your run at Pop. I am not a runner either, but even the idea of running at Disney doesn't motivate me. :blush: My dad and step-mom both have many marathons (and longer!) under their belts and have tried to get me to join them on a 5K that serves chocolate stuff at the end. They're like, "You can even just walk it." And I'm like, "So, I have to get up super early and get all organized/checked in to walk and then have chocolate? I can go for a walk and eat some chocolate at home anytime." :confused3 (But I don't want to make myself out as super lazy - I just have no desire to RUN or participate in a crowded event - I actually LOVE to walk and generally do at least 10k steps per day.) Sorry for the tangent, just wanted to let you know that you did good getting yourself motivated that early morning! :goodvibes

I think you will love Pandora - definitely take time to see it during the day and at night ... if anything I think more time is needed during the day as you can see the detail more than at night.

haha, I really am the same about running just I know I need to do *something* to get in less terrible shape and this is something that seems to fit in my schedule ok and then the Disney connection is additional motivation as well. I have also looked into some races that end with a beer or wine tasting and in August Judi and I are doing something called "Vino and the Beast" (so I guess a very loose Disney connection) which is at a winery near us where you do a 5k with obstacles :scared: and then have a wine tasting afterward. Apparently you can wear costumes for that so we are trying to figure out what to do (but know you need to be able to do the obstacles so can't be anything too crazy)

Good for you for getting up early to run! I walk three miles every morning, but rarely on vacation. I always figure I'm getting plenty of walking in at Disney.

I've stayed at Art of Animation and have seen that trail. I never realized it was only 1.25 miles around the perimeter of the lake. I would have guessed it longer.

Your pancakes looked really tasty and a great way to start the day with good company.

Thanks! yeah, I definitely got a ton of steps in this trip even without a lot of park time. If I recall correctly I got 17,000 steps that day no including the 5k

I know! It's funny how 5k doesn't seem like all that long, until you are actually running one and am sweaty and all the way around the lake and have to be like "how am I know even half way done yet?!?!??"

The breakfast (both food and company) definitely was great!

Hey just now finding this. So cool to see what you were doing the same time we were there.

We had lots of plans. Really, we did. Then we got there and they all went the way of the dodo.

I just started reading your TR, but wanted to tell you I'm loving it so far! Your photos are great! Can't wait to read the rest of it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter