A Baking question - Is it worth it to buy expensive flour?

Sheree Bobbins

DIS Veteran
Is there a difference between cheap and expensive flour? I am baking for our Canadian Thanksgiving next week.

It depends on what you are doing with it. Using a good quality bread flour to make bread can affect your results quite a bit. Same with a high quality cake flour. For cookies, pies and such I use a name brand unbleached flour like Pillsbury or Gold Medal. Sometimes I splurge on Mountain Sapphire or King Arthur. Some stores carry it at a reasonable price. My MIL was a terrific baker and she always used Mountain Sapphire.

I recommend that you check out the books Cookwise or Bakewise at a bookstore or library - it explains the basic chemistry of cooking and has a great explanation of why different kinds of flour produce the best results depending upon the baked goods ... breads, cakes, pastry, etc are affected by the type of flour used ....

I've always wondered this myself...I consider myself a good cook, but baking is not my love or expertise. I'd like to do more and learn more, so your advice is great. Thanks!

Yes, there's a difference. Here's a test: Buy a bag of cheap-o flour and a bag of White Lily or other good flour. Spoon some of each out onto a plate. You'll see a visible difference in color, and the better flour actually "looks" lighter in texture.

I personally like White Lily best. The wheat from which it's made is all grown south of the Mason Dixon line, and that produces a softer flour.

On the other hand, sugar is sugar is sugar.

the difference is in the amount of gluten - bread flour has a higher gluten % than regular flour - and this also varies from brand to brand. King Arthur regular flour has a gluten content almost as high as most bread flours - King Arthur bread flour is really high in gluten.

for cakes, pie crusts and other delicate texture items, use a flour low in gluten. for breads, pizza dough etc use a higher gluten flour.

right now I'm using a whole grain white flour (Eagle Mills) as my all purpose. I'm really liking it.

On the other hand, sugar is sugar is sugar.

I would disagree with that. We used a non-cane sugar one year for the fudge we make every year at Christmas. It never set up. It was the same recipe we had used for years and years and the only thing that was different was the brand/type of sugar. I have never used anything exit cane/Domino sugar since. Haven't had the problem again.

Kim

I don't know why but this thread fascinates me.

The cost of flour I just use what is on sale. Just as long as it is all purpose.

I wondered that too because I only bought White Rose here but tried a name I didnt' know at Costco and didn't see any difference (Dover Flour). I mostly make pies, cookies and squares not breads.

Now if you are using different margrines it makes a difference and sometimes you have to add more flour.

Ugh, I don't think I'll ever figure this out. Because everyone's grocery is regional, how would you know which brands are the better/top brands to buy? How would you know the gluten content? I've learned that more expensive doesn't always mean better...I don't want to go off just that. Any resource to find which brands are better and which brands for amount of gluten? Thanks!

No it does not matter. Only because you are just serving it to Canadians! heheheheheee

Just kidding.

Mikeeee

I've used the bread machine flour in my bread machine and wasn't too happy with the result. Yeah, the bread was tasty, but it was missing that certain something. I'm switching back to my regular flour and am happier with the results. (I only use my machine to knead, though. I don't bake in it)

My best advice: Use what your mother used. If your mother didn't bake, use what your grandmother or a neighbor who bakes things you really like use.

I asked my mom when I was small why she used Gold Medal. She said it was what her mother used and her grandmother used. When I was out on my own I tried other flours and the results weren't quite as good as my mother's. When I switched back, I got back the flavor of Mom's.

So find someone who bakes things you enjoy eating and use what they use. If they've never baked what you want to try, ask their advice on what they'd use if they were going to bake that item. The key is to find someone who bakes things that you and your family enjoy and get their advice.

Edited to add another thought:

If you have no one you can ask you can always go to a retirement home and talk to some of the ladies there. I'm sure they'd love visiting with a young lady who really needs their advice on something they've been doing for years: baking. List to all the ideas, use what makes the most sense to you, and return with a finished concoction for them to try out.

It's a win-win situation: you get advice that's been proven over and over again, they feel wonderful because they're helping out a "youngster" with something they really know something about, and if things work out well, everyone has a friend and new companion.

Now if you are using different margrines it makes a difference and sometimes you have to add more flour.

yes - and margarine can behave differently than real butter. and there are different kinds of real butter.

the difference here is % of butterfat - the fancy EXPENSIVE European butters have a much higher butterfat content and less water.

Regular stick margarine (not a light variety) is a bit denser than typical American butter. Most recipes use butter/margarine interchangably - but I have a few that must be made with butter and a couple that come out better with margarine. This isn't a "taste" thing, that's a whole 'nother discussion.

My mom used to "splurge" on Blue Bonnet for baking, it was her favorite margarine. Using real butter never crossed her mind, it was much too expensive. I started splurging on real butter for Christmas baking, and then it became a standard pantry item for me. I keep margarine on hand for making Kraft mac/cheese for the kids and recipes where it comes out better with margarine. I use real butter in most baked goods and cooking and can tell a difference.

We baked most of our own breads and pastries in the USA. Even the kdis could tell when I ran out of King Arthur flour and substituted a "regular" kind (I had cheaper in the house always--primarily for making salt clay:lmao:).

My mom used to "splurge" on Blue Bonnet for baking, it was her favorite margarine. Using real butter never crossed her mind, it was much too expensive. I started splurging on real butter for Christmas baking, and then it became a standard pantry item for me. I keep margarine on hand for making Kraft mac/cheese for the kids and recipes where it comes out better with margarine. I use real butter in most baked goods and cooking and can tell a difference.

I made the mistake of making mac and cheese with butter once. Gross!!!

I always bake with unsalted butter, but there are things that I need margarine for :)

Well, thanks for thinking I'm young! I'm not and have been baking for years! I tried a cheaper brand of flour and thought the results were not as light and flaky.

But, it could be the el cheapo baking powder that I am using. I switched to a bulk brand of baking powder and think it is not as good.

I had no idea wheat grown below a cultural line produced softer flour. :p

I've used all kinds of flour and for general purposes, I haven't noticed a difference. Of course, certain recipes call for certain flours for a reason. Say, I'm baking a general white cupcake, I like to use a self-rising flour (rather than all-purpose) and baking powder to get extra rise.

I don't think it makes a huge difference though. I actually PREFER Walmart confectioners sugar. I find Domino and other name brands to be grainy if I'm making an american buttercream.

If you're baking a Thanksgiving pie or cake, it won't make a huge difference. :) Just go with what is easiest for you.

the difference is in the amount of gluten - bread flour has a higher gluten % than regular flour - and this also varies from brand to brand. King Arthur regular flour has a gluten content almost as high as most bread flours - King Arthur bread flour is really high in gluten.
That's the difference between bread flour and regular all purpose flour, and usually bread flour is a good quality product (bread flour, being a specialty product, doesn't come in cheap-o brands).

However, there is a difference between cheap-o all purpose flour and good quality all-purpose flour, and that difference is more than just gluten.
I would disagree with that. We used a non-cane sugar one year for the fudge we make every year at Christmas. It never set up. It was the same recipe we had used for years and years and the only thing that was different was the brand/type of sugar. I have never used anything exit cane/Domino sugar since. Haven't had the problem again.

Kim
I don't know anything about non-cane sugar, but that sounds like some kind of specialty product. Among basic, plain old sugars, I maintain that sugar is sugar is sugar.
yes - and margarine can behave differently than real butter. and there are different kinds of real butter.
Yes, butter and margarine are very different! I typically use real butter, but I have a few recipes that do better with margarine.

And, of course, no one should ever use that awful "spread" stuff -- even though it's sold in sticks and looks like butter or margarine -- for baking. It's mostly oil and will not give good results. Ever.

But, it could be the el cheapo baking powder that I am using. I switched to a bulk brand of baking powder and think it is not as good.
I've not noticed any difference in baking powder brands, BUT they do get old fast. Even though I bake a great deal (and am pretty good at it), I always buy the smallest packages. I prefer to buy fresh packages frequently.

I had no idea wheat grown below a cultural line produced softer flour . . . I actually PREFER Walmart confectioners sugar . . .
I used to make cakes professionally, and I"ve studied this topic intensely, so I do know about flour types!

I agree that for some products off-brands are just as good, sometimes even better than, the name brands. It takes trial and error to figure out in which situations these things are true. But flour is one thing I buy by the name brand.

Also, it depends upon what you're making. If I'm making cookies, which are a thick, dense batter, I don't really care about flour type. On the other hand, if I'm making my super-delicious White Velvet cake, I want only the best, lightest flour.

I don't know anything about non-cane sugar, but that sounds like some kind of specialty product. Among basic, plain old sugars, I maintain that sugar is sugar is sugar.

If regular sugar (at least in the US) is not specifically marked "cane sugar" then it comes from sugar beets. Some people maintain that cane sugar is superior, others don't care. I can't really tell a difference, but I always buy cane sugar. Gues I subconsiously believe the hype.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter