9-year-old charged with murder in 5 Illinois fire deaths

To be fair, I think the majority of people, unless they watch cop or legal dramas, don't know the law in which the names of minors are usually withheld. SHE probably doesn't have a lawyer. Her son does. Since his name is normally withheld from the media, HIS lawyer may have simply told her, "Do not talk to the press or media," and thought that would be enough. And until he was charged with murder, it possibly hadn't really been a problem

It was actually in poor taste of the media to get her to release his name and dig up a photo of him when THEY full well know the law.

Nothing disgusts me more than to see a tragedy as it is unfolding and see the media shoving their microphones in a bystanders face asking for drama/opinion/info. That horrifies me.

However, to talk to someone 6 Months after something has happened and to report on what that person volunteralily chooses to tell them, seems rather normal to me. Unfortunately, incredibly crappy things happen in this country on a regular basis and to blame the media for reporting on them just seems odd to me. It doesnt alter the facts that these horrible things are happening.

Again - the "ambulance chasing" in the moment stuff - I can not stand. But going in after the fact and telling people the actual facts of what occurs I think is actually important.

Here it looks like the fire was started by the front door. How awful!

19456748-7551213-image-a-60_1570561633852.jpg

I thought I read in one of the links or somewhere else that the fiancé had gotten the boy's mother out and went back for the little cousin, whom she was taking a bath with. His body was found next to the little girl's inside. Their own children were in their beds, and the grandmother was somewhere else (eta in her bedroom). I can't imagine the horror of being inside trying to get out with how fast it was going up. Other family members lived in the trailer beside them, and at one point someone had gone to bang on their door for help. ETA it was Kyle, the 9 yr old, who banged on his grandparents trailer for help.

From Post 73:
https://www.pjstar.com/news/2019042...goodfield-inferno-that-killed-five-loved-ones
On the otherwise unremarkable night of April 6, Rose Alwood came over to spend time with her cousins, intending to stay overnight. Shortly before 11 p.m., Kathryn Murray was in her bedroom, while Daemeon and Ariel were asleep in their beds. Jason Wall was still awake as his fiancee headed to take a bath with Rose.

Just as Katie Alwood was about to step into the tub, she sniffed the air.
“I smelled something funny,” she says.

As a smoke detector went off, she quickly threw on clothes, grabbed Rose’s hand and headed out of the bathroom to investigate. She met Jason at the trailer's furnace, just outside her grandmother’s room. Smoke was billowing out, with flames shooting out nearby heat registers, she says.
Scared, Rose asked, “Why? Why?”

Holding Rose’s hand, Katie Alwood was about to head to the kids’ beds and grab them up.

BOOM.

An explosion blasted Katie Alwood into darkness. Thrown down and momentarily unconscious, she was revived as Jason Wall helped her to her feet. She says the furnace had exploded, and fire was spreading fast. Sooner than she could think, she was being ushered outside.

“Jason dragged me out,” she says. “I shouldn’t be here today.”

Meanwhile, 9-year-old Kyle had fled the structure. He ran to his grandparents’ trailer next door.

There, Lori Alwood was asleep, as were her husband and younger daughter. Suddenly, Lori Alwood heard pounding and yelling. It was Kyle, banging on the door and shrieking, “The house is on fire! Help!”

Lori Alwood called 911 as she and her husband rushed outside to encounter a flaming horror. The neighboring trailer was ablaze, and soon they heard a horrible wail.

“God help me!” Lori's mother screamed repeatedly from inside the trailer, her desperate shrieks piercing through the trailer park.

As neighbors rushed over, Katie Alwood was standing in the yard, where she had been left by Jason Wall. Aghast, she stared at the inferno.

“I gotta get my babies! I gotta get my babies!” Katie Alwood yelled.

As her mother ordered her to stay put, they saw Jason Wall duck back into the trailer. They heard him calling to the children.

“Daemeon!”

“Ariel!”

“Rose!”

There was an agonizing pause, the only sound the crackling of voracious flames. Then they heard him yell “I’ve got a baby!” — an apparent reference to Rose.

After another pause, they heard a gasp, apparently from Jason Wall.
“We heard him suffocating,” Katie Alwood says. “They all were. And that was it.”

Lori Alwood says, “That was the last we heard or seen him. He’s a hero. He’ll always be my hero.”

Meanwhile, Mike Alwood had pushed through a doorway and into the trailer. But the floor was searingly hot, and the smoke was so thick he could not see his hands. He had to withdraw, choking as he stumbled out.

Firefighters from the Eureka-Goodfield Fire Protection District soon arrived. But by then the trailer was engulfed in flames.

“It was gone, just like that,” Lori Alwood says. “But it felt like forever.”

Firefighters quickly got the blaze under control. Kathryn Murray was found in her bedroom. Jason Wall was on the floor, next to Rose. Daemeon and Ariel were in their beds, looking much as they did when they’d gone to sleep.
“The babies didn’t suffer,” Lori Alwood says.

All were officially pronounced dead at 11:55 p.m., victims of smoke inhalation, according to the Woodford County Coroner’s Office. Meanwhile, Katie Alwood and her dad went to a Peoria hospital for treatment for smoke inhalation, but they soon were released and headed back to the trailer park."

:guilty:

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts