9 year old at Disney

Pretzel

Earning My Ears
We are taking my 9 year old neice with us to the world. Shes pretty tough as long as her De (me) is with her. What are some rides that would be too much, we already know we arent going to take her on Space, Test Track, and RnR. Also what would be some good things to take along to help us entertain her on the drive down-its quiet a long drive down- and ways to surprise her that she is going to disney world -its her first trip-

I know you have reasons, but I'm wondering why aren't ya'll riding the ones you mentioned? My DD rode these on our last trip when she was 7 (we had her BD there) and she loved them. My then 5 year old liked TOT. It just depends on the child I guess. Although Haunted Mans. is real iffy. Test Track isn't too scary, we rode it over and over.

Anyway, I know 9 is kind of an in-between time - "Am I too old for Fantasy Land, will I be too scared for RNR?" Maybe you could just start with the small stuff and work your way up to the big ones.

My girls like everything at FL and they love Splash Mt. of course Dumbo is a must - but get in early - in fact try to make it first on an early entry morn.

I'd just start slow with her and maybe ease her into some of the "bigger" rides.

Most of all have FUN!!

Hi,
Maybe you could get a guidebook, we have Birnbaum's guide to Disney for Kids. I got it last year from Barnes and Nobles and it has lots of pictures and activities she can do on the way down and it has a review section by kids about each ride. It lists if it is a scary or dark ride and if there is a height restriction. We used that as a basic guide but then looked at the ride to make the final decision. My 9 year old is more brave than my 7 year old. We love all the "mountain" rides. You have to know your kid basically. Biggest regret was at AK Dinosaur. 7 year old backed out at last minute so I waited for the others with her. When they got off they were all pale. It was too much for them. Took 9 year old at least 10 minutes before he was back to normal. We won't do the Alien ride either. Best of luck:cool:

At 9 my child did and loved everything except Alien Encounter. TT is not at all a trill ride and I know even most 4-5 year olds love it. As for the other coaster rides, I agree to let her choose but don't rule out anything she wants to try except maybe AE. If she has never done a coaster, start out with Thunder Mountain and work your way up. Nine is such a fun age. Enjoy her!!

jordan's mom

My 9yr old DD loved all of the rides, the only ride she was unable to go on was RNR due to height. In July she will finally be tall enough, she has measured herself every month since Sept.

As for Alien Encounter, that one is pretty scary, my 9yr old loved it, but my 15yr old hated it.

I would try space mountain first before RNR coaster since RNR is much faster. If she does ok on Space then she might be willing to go on RNR.

Denise

Thanks for all the replies. The reason we probably wont take her on those rides is that me and my mom havent been on them and dont know what to expect. She has only been on one coaster and that is one that goes around a small track -i mean really small, about 50ft at the longest- and while she does meet the height restrictions, she is very very tiny, -wheres size 8 clothes- and would be afraid that she might slip out.

You need a guide book to tell you all the ins and outs .. You can check on wdwig.com too for some of the info.. I have a 6 yr old daredevil who loves to ride everything and a 9 yr old sort of wimpy .. we do selection of big and small ride and everyone is happy.. but get a guide book.. ( 2003 Birnburm's for kids (sp) would be great for her and the adult on for you - you can get the at the local bookstores or the Disney stores ) hope this helps

Oh yea what to do on the ride down.. headphone and Cd's or tapes , coloring pages , workbooks, pipe cleaners , regular reading books, stuffed animals and fave pillow, postcards to write home, stuff to make a homemade autograph book - disney stickers the book colored pens and pencils - car bingo .. mad libs are our favorite !!!!

Enjoy -- Michelle

Originally posted by Pretzel
We are taking my 9 year old neice with us to the world. Shes pretty tough as long as her De (me) is with her. What are some rides that would be too much, we already know we arent going to take her on Space, Test Track, and RnR. Also what would be some good things to take along to help us entertain her on the drive down-its quiet a long drive down- and ways to surprise her that she is going to disney world -its her first trip-

Ok - this is inteded to help - I can't imagine taking a 9yo to WDW and planning to skip those rides. Hit the WDW website and order the planning video, then hit the library or bookstore and get some books especially the WDW for kids by kids. My girls are 6 and 8 and a trip would not be a trip without Space Mtn and Test Track - not to mention BTMR and Splash Mountain. If she meets the height requirements then she will be safe. A 9yo is going to be a bit to "big" for peter pan and its a small world so your going to want to try lots of other things.

Now if she sees the video or sees the drop at Spash Mountain and dosen't want to ride I am not advocating forcing her. Really the WDW rides (sans alien) are meant for the family and are reallly not "thrill rides" I think you could feel comfortable taking her on anything she is interested in.

Keep posting and do lots of research, IMHO WDW is to expensive to take a trip to and miss some of the best things.

TJ

"Birnbaum's Disney for Kids" is well worth the money. Grandma got my kids a copy and I learned a lot. They advise to "work your way up" with rides. For example, Goofy's coaster first, then Thunder Mountian, then Space Mountain, and if you are all still breathing you can try Rock n Roll Coaster. I thought this was great advice. There are descriptions galore. Let your niece read it on the trip and help decide what to try!

Also, I am the original wimp and I LOVE TestTrack. Fun and fast but not terrifying or nauseating. If I can do it, you can do it!

Have fun -- this will be an adventure for all of you! Keep a journal so she can remember the trip for a long time.

For the trip down to entertain her she might like a gameboy. My daughter often uses it when she is really bored. Also Crayola has makers that only write on a pad that comes with them (a good send) . A CD player with headset. A good book, or one of the guide books for children would be awesome. My dd also loves those pictures you can paint with markers that come with the velvet outline, they have them at walmart.
Since it is a long trip you might want her to take a pillow so she can take a nap if needed.

Oh and you might want to try space mt before thunder mt. My daughter (now 11) still doesn't like thunder mt but loves space mt. Thunder mt is very jerky space mt isn't as jerky, she says. I wouldn't take her on dinosaur either.

I have a 9 yr old who really started enjoying the *bigger* rides last fall when she was 8. I agree with getting the Birnbaum's Kid's guide book. I don't have it in front of me, but I remember it having varying ages of kids reviewing the attractions. Goofy's coaster is a great place to start. My dd has done Test Track (her fav.), Big Thunder Mt., Splash Mt. I think we'll try Space Mt.., TOT next time, she says she doesn't want to be upside down in the RNRC loops. She still enjoys the kiddie rides too by the way, so don't skip them unless she wants to.

My son at 4 years old.. and 3 years old when he went on Test Track... At four he went on RnR, and Space Mountain. He was a very big, tall kid (still is!)

He loved them! And they aren't all that scary either. My five year old meets the height requirement for everything this year, and she will be doing EVERYTHING!

Reallly you shouldn't miss out on those rides just because.. really they are tested, and the height requirement on RnR is 48 inches, thats only four feet! Its got over the shoulder harnesses, and its FAST but not scary... very very smooth.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter