9/29 Disney parks crowds and capacity discussion

The complicating factor is this: Capacity is not set based on the park's square footage but on a combination of factors which includes the capacity of attractions, restaurants, shops, and shows. The issue arises when "25% of capacity" is based off of the capacity when everything is open and operating full-tilt. So while capacity for Magic Kingdom may be enormous (100k or so) when absolutely everything is open, that equation clearly changes when rides are running 1/2-1/4 capacity to allow for distancing, table service restaurants are closed or operating at limited capacity, and shops are limiting the number of people inside. If you were to calculate the park's "capacity" based on current operational status, it would be much, much lower. 25% of the current capacity would feel a lot different than 25% of capacity when everything is open and running at full speed.
Disney has always been very murky about what each park's capacity really is. I think this has to be because it's flexible based on what's open. Ultimately this means that we can't truly know what Chapek means by 25% unless he gives us some actual numbers for park admissions.

I can only establish my unbiased opinion of the judgement which screens only a small % of the market value.

Long story short, if you can responsibly travel and visit your favorite vacation destination; I strongly advocate doing so, as this will inevitably reciprocate the financial windfall backwards...

The complicating factor is this: Capacity is not set based on the park's square footage but on a combination of factors which includes the capacity of attractions, restaurants, shops, and shows. The issue arises when "25% of capacity" is based off of the capacity when everything is open and operating full-tilt. So while capacity for Magic Kingdom may be enormous (100k or so) when absolutely everything is open, that equation clearly changes when rides are running 1/2-1/4 capacity to allow for distancing, table service restaurants are closed or operating at limited capacity, and shops are limiting the number of people inside. If you were to calculate the park's "capacity" based on current operational status, it would be much, much lower. 25% of the current capacity would feel a lot different than 25% of capacity when everything is open and running at full speed.
Disney has always been very murky about what each park's capacity really is. I think this has to be because it's flexible based on what's open. Ultimately this means that we can't truly know what Chapek means by 25% unless he gives us some actual numbers for park admissions.

Well put! I think that is exactly the problem. While the “guest capacity” is down “operational capacity” is also way down.

After my recent visit to MK, I started to think about this “capacity “ theory. I noticed only half of Autopia was opened late afternoon. Made me wonder about the split sides in other attractions.

Last edited:
After my recent visit to MK, I started to think about this “capacity “ theory. I noticed only half of Autopia was opened late afternoon. Made me wonder about the split sides in other attractions.
What is Autopia? Not being smart, really want to know as we visit a lot and never heard of it. Then again, I never knew there were caves to explore on Tom Sawyer island either till December 2019 lol

Sorry that is my mistake but I always get the SpeedMart and Speedway confused with the gasoline stations on property which used to be Hess. So I just call it Autopia. Kinda hard to get gas and wash car at the Speedway but I keep trying!

Plus it feels like this day has lasted forever with the time change... it is finally 11:00 . Tomorrow I will be really confused cause I always forget to change the clock in my car.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter