9/16/2017 Magic Transatlantic from Barcelona

Am I the only one having pre-trip anxiety? Between work and knowing that I overpacked I have become a bit nutty. We have two normal sized suitcases and one carry-one size as checked luggage, and we're still not done packing. My husband is a horrible packer and doesn't know how to make the most of the space in his bag so I always end up with the heavier bag.
And as for the pre-trip anxiety -- yup!!! Amazing how, after more than a year of planning, getting everyone on the airplane just seems overwhelming sometimes!!

I'm glad I didn't do FE this trip since my bag is already pretty stuffed, and I still need to add a few things. Was frantically working on magnet designs last night- I got behind on preparations when I was sick a couple weeks ago. But it all should work out... just can't believe it's almost here!

Am I the only one having pre-trip anxiety? Between work and knowing that I overpacked I have become a bit nutty. We have two normal sized suitcases and one carry-on size as checked luggage, and we're still not done packing. My husband is a horrible packer and doesn't know how to make the most of the space in his bag so I always end up with the heavier bag.

Oh please, I'm already having pre-trip anxiety for our cruise in 12 days -- and that doesn't even involve flying :rotfl2: So I feel ya. I have always been a horrendous over-packer, but am getting better and better with each trip. I spend weeks laying out every single thing I don't think I can live without (clothing, shoes, meds, misc.), and then cut it back by at least one-third. It helps to see it all layed out and then realize you don't need it. That way you won't second-guess yourself later.

But it might also just make him feel better to bring it all just in case he needs it. Two normal sized suitcases and one carry on really is not bad for a two week trip!

As by some miracle we got our packing done last night. And our initial "This is never going to fit" changed to "How are we going to get that suitcase full enough so the contents won't move around the entire time". I planned to buy some extra kilo's after packing, because it wasn't too expensive to add. But we're allowed 1 20 kg suitcase each, at this moment, one is 19 and one is 16. Our carry on's are both the maximum 10 kg though ;) But we've already added 4 of 5 items that were first eliminated because we wouldn't have the space for them...

GAH! I must remember to weigh them!!

I'm having quite the exclamation point morning...

I'm so sorry to hear that! It's not a nice thing to experience. I hope he finds a happy dose that does him a lot of good! Of course we'll report back after the trip!

As by some miracle we got our packing done last night. And our initial "This is never going to fit" changed to "How are we going to get that suitcase full enough so the contents won't move around the entire time". I planned to buy some extra kilo's after packing, because it wasn't too expensive to add. But we're allowed 1 20 kg suitcase each, at this moment, one is 19 and one is 16. Our carry on's are both the maximum 10 kg though ;) But we've already added 4 of 5 items that were first eliminated because we wouldn't have the space for them...

You'll have lots of nice room for souvenirs!

Well, sitting in Oakland for the first of two 6-hour layovers:crazy2:! We can't even check-in for our flight to Barcelona for another hour and then it's another 4-hr wait till the flight!

Seriously hoping they are not going to weigh our carry-on bags on Norwegian because I'm sure they are over their 10kg weight limit (no clue what we are at but DH was over by 1lb at the airport (we figured out what the 20kg weight was) so we had to put more stuff in the carry-one! Super stressed about that!!

Really wishing we had a direct flight right about now, but very very excited to finally be on our way! Safe travels to everyone! And a big hug to @RedSox68 for everything! Warm wishes to your DH that his meds get worked out!:flower1:

Thank you so much -- and all of you for your good thoughts. My not going was certainly foreseen as having more to do than just with my diagnosis -- my stoic DH was diagnosed with Parkinson's last week. So it obviously would have all been too much for us to do this year -- at least until he gets through his drug trials and finds a happy dose.

So this is not a downer by any means -- we are actually relieved because we didn't know what his symptoms were from. Now we can start the road to making both our lives more comfortable and doable.

In the meantime, today would have been the day we flew out -- so a little sad nostalgia as this would have been 10 years since our last WBTA from Barcelona. Maybe in the future -- those transatlantics are such a terrific way to relax and I will miss that part for sure. ;)

Most importantly, I would like to thank each and every single one of you for contributing so thoughtfully to this thread, and for all the good wishes and compassion. This thread started out as a true joy to set up and do, and in the end became therapy and a much needed happy diversion. All in all I loved doing this thread from beginning to end. I feel like I know each of you and am so excited for all of you to do this trip. PLEASE report back with trip reports -- even if you just report back to this thread with some of your experiences. I shall be cruising with you in thought.

I send out massive hugs and good thoughts for safe travels, happy experiences and good weather! :grouphug::jumping1:

:wave2:

So sorry to hear this news! I hope things do settle down at least for you over the coming months. You really have been an important part of this adventure for us all!

Am I the only one having pre-trip anxiety? Between work and knowing that I overpacked I have become a bit nutty. We have two normal sized suitcases and one carry-on size as checked luggage, and we're still not done packing. My husband is a horrible packer and doesn't know how to make the most of the space in his bag so I always end up with the heavier bag.

Very very anxious! Have a 23kg case I need to manouver down two flights of stairs on Friday on my own (not sure how I can do this) plus yesterday my return flight was cancelled! I've been booked on to an earlier flight but now having to rearrange everything for my last day and replan what I'm doing in New York! NOT HAPPY!

Well, sitting in Oakland for the first of two 6-hour layovers:crazy2:! We can't even check-in for our flight to Barcelona for another hour and then it's another 4-hr wait till the flight!

Seriously hoping they are not going to weigh our carry-on bags on Norwegian because I'm sure they are over their 10kg weight limit (no clue what we are at but DH was over by 1lb at the airport (we figured out what the 20kg weight was) so we had to put more stuff in the carry-one! Super stressed about that!!

Really wishing we had a direct flight right about now, but very very excited to finally be on our way! Safe travels to everyone! And a big hug to @RedSox68 for everything! Warm wishes to your DH that his meds get worked out!:flower1:

God I hope that you found something to amuse yourselves! Mine would have been eating lol

Me, exactly. I don't think my underseat plus personal item weigh more than 22 lbs combined. I might have to shift things from mine to my husband's bag as I always end up being the pack mule. We are taking 3 checked bags. If one bag is over the 44 lb limit and the others are not, we'll be shifting things around at the airport. We removed some clothes from our suitcases last night. I could have fit more in my carry-on bag if I didn't have to pack my left sneaker in it. I don't plan to wear my boot the entire 7.5 hour flight to BCN. At least we only have to stress about this one way.

Very very anxious! Have a 23kg case I need to manouver down two flights of stairs on Friday on my own (not sure how I can do this) plus yesterday my return flight was cancelled! I've been booked on to an earlier flight but now having to rearrange everything for my last day and replan what I'm doing in New York! NOT HAPPY!

OMG, I can't even imagine. Trying to remain positive for you, at least you found out before you left home.

Our flight is at 11 pm tonight. We have car service picking us up at 7:30 pm and will hopefully be at the airport by 8:00 pm. Safe and trouble-free travels to all!

Thank you so much for your good thoughts. I really hope the rest of your travel went smoothly and the flights were on time. I have never had them weigh my carry-on, but I have had them make me fit it in that box and we have had to juggle things inside because it was too wide.

We originally had our flight to Barcelona booked with Norweigen -- but it was a direct flight out of Newark, the only airline we could find with a direct flight without having to go to JFK. I cannot believe this coming weekend you will be cruising home! Seems like we have been talking and planning this for years! :rotfl:

That's what I love about the transatlantic cruises - no return flights from Europe ;)

Sarah -- thank you so much for your good wishes. I do hope you have a safe trip and please be careful going down those stairs with that luggage. Don't they have an elevator? They should. Take care and safe travels!

I shall miss you all on this thread -- but will be virtual traveling with you over the ocean! Check back in here when you return so I know you all had a good time and are safe.

I weighed my suitcase last night... it's just about at the weight limit. I need to add a couple more things too...
Will maybe try to shift some to my carry on.

Yes! We made the 10.5-he flight with no problems (well, except we literally had a screaming baby seated next to my DH the entire way :scared1: and the dad would bump my DH every time he had to get up, which was every 15 minutes)! DH is annoyed I didn't splurge on the upgraded premium seats and told me never again will he do a long-haul flight in economy (and he's the tight wad)!

Now we have one last 6-hr layover and I admit I had a mini-breakdown and had a few tears when every place to eat was totally filled and people were pushing around you to grab tables. Gatwick has quickly become one of my least favorite airports--WAY too many people to handle on jet lag and no sleep!!

Yes! We made the 10.5-he flight with no problems (well, except we literally had a screaming baby seated next to my DH the entire way :scared1: and the dad would bump my DH every time he had to get up, which was every 15 minutes)! DH is annoyed I didn't splurge on the upgraded premium seats and told me never again will he do a long-haul flight in economy (and he's the tight wad)!

Now we have one last 6-hr layover and I admit I had a mini-breakdown and had a few tears when every place to eat was totally filled and people were pushing around you to grab tables. Gatwick has quickly become one of my least favorite airports--WAY too many people to handle on jet lag and no sleep!!

Lots of encouragement! Sounds awful, but you're almost there!

Thank you so much -- and all of you for your good thoughts. My not going was certainly foreseen as having more to do than just with my diagnosis -- my stoic DH was diagnosed with Parkinson's last week. So it obviously would have all been too much for us to do this year -- at least until he gets through his drug trials and finds a happy dose.

So this is not a downer by any means -- we are actually relieved because we didn't know what his symptoms were from. Now we can start the road to making both our lives more comfortable and doable.

In the meantime, today would have been the day we flew out -- so a little sad nostalgia as this would have been 10 years since our last WBTA from Barcelona. Maybe in the future -- those transatlantics are such a terrific way to relax and I will miss that part for sure. ;)

Most importantly, I would like to thank each and every single one of you for contributing so thoughtfully to this thread, and for all the good wishes and compassion. This thread started out as a true joy to set up and do, and in the end became therapy and a much needed happy diversion. All in all I loved doing this thread from beginning to end. I feel like I know each of you and am so excited for all of you to do this trip. PLEASE report back with trip reports -- even if you just report back to this thread with some of your experiences. I shall be cruising with you in thought.

I send out massive hugs and good thoughts for safe travels, happy experiences and good weather! :grouphug::jumping1:

:wave2:
Wish we could have met. Thanks for everything and all the best.

Sitting at the airport gate now. All bags were under the max, and they did weigh our carryon bags as well. Glad I ordered the wheelchair because the walk to the gate was far, and the security line was long. Had to go through the full body scanner, but I did not need to remove my shoe or my boot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter