7 NIGHTS RPR.....TINSEL AND SUNSCREEN TRIP REPORT 2017

A little late but we just got back and now I'm following along! :wave: Kyle's love of chocolate cake reminds me of my brother :rotfl: we'd always order chocolate cake at restaurants when we were younger I'd have a few bites, and then he'd finish the rest :laughing:

Lol........I have a few brothers like that too!! Only they usually took it without asking!!!

Nice to see you post.......:)

What a great start to another fabulous trip! So glad your boy got to join you on this one. I think chocolate cake for lunch on vacation is perfect. Glad you had hot weather. The day after you left, it got quite cold. We had to go to Walmart to buy gloves, and I had both my hoodie jackets on at the same time! We didn't mind, though, because it helped us feel Christmasy. Reading your trip report will help me relive our trip. I'm glad to be home, but we had such a fabulous time and I can't wait to go back!

Thank you so much!

Yes, it was fabulous he wanted to join us again, it was just amazing........

Oh gosh yes, it was boiling hot till the day we left.....the Saturday was freezing! We didn’t make the parks that day.......we had brought hoodies as we didn’t know what it would be like, but gee.........that last day was bitter! I’m not surprised you had to buy gloves!

I had an email from a friend at the hotel asking if I was alright........lol......they know me so well.......

I’m so glad you are enjoying reading along and glad you had such a fabulous time and yes, you have to get back again.......:D

Really enjoying your trip report. I plan to order the same meal at the Palms when we go in February.

I will be so curious to read about your trip to Sapphire Falls when the time comes that you stay there. You love RPR so much that it is hard to imagine you enjoying any other place quite as much!

Finally caught up on this report. So glad Kyle got to join you. He sure loves his chocolate cake.

Glad you`re all caught up........hope it`s a decent read for you.........yep, he really is a chocaholic.......unlike me.......not a huge fan!!! Although I do eat a little chocolate now and again........especially white!!!

Really enjoying your trip report. I plan to order the same meal at the Palms when we go in February.

I will be so curious to read about your trip to Sapphire Falls when the time comes that you stay there. You love RPR so much that it is hard to imagine you enjoying any other place quite as much!

We adore The Palm.......nothing has ever disappointed us there..........hope it`s the same for you.

We do really like Sapphire Falls. We spend a lot of time in the Rum Bar there......lol........the pictures on the SF sticky came from when we got a full tour of the hotel just after it opened, we were very lucky and saw all the room types, including the gorgeous Presidential Suite and thought it was just lovely........we were supposed to stay in the hotel for a few nights last year but we ended up in the Presidential Suite at RPR for our last 4 nights, so we stayed there......

But we are so looking forward to actually having a full stay there........not sure it`ll replace RP as our favourite.......but it is a stunning hotel.....I`m sure we`ll love it.

Glad you`re still enjoying reading along.......:wave2:

MONDAY DECEMBER 4TH.................

We all slept ok last night, not brilliant.......I blame the moon!!! Did you see it that night......absolutely glorious......I had left the drapes open so we could see it if one of us was awake.........so can`t really complain we didn't sleep then.......my fault. But, even so, we could have been shattered beyond belief and we would still have been up with the larks today.........

But, first, we were moving rooms. Long story short, we were moving next door. So we still had the fabulous view we loved so much.......we all showered and dressed, then quickly and unceremoniously packed everything up and it was being moved for us later. It really didn't take long.......

Breakfast was a quick affair this morning, it was quite busy surprisingly for a Monday morning.......and a few grumpy folks! I tend to just smile........it confuses some folks........

But, we didn't hang around and we were so glad to hear it was going to be hot today!!! At that point the weather was showing it was going to get cool by Thursday, so we wanted to enjoy the heat for as long as we could..........we walked out of the hotel and headed around the pool to walk as we always did when we go to IOA.......it`s a kind of tradition........and it really is such a pleasant and short walk.........it was so lovely, and I can now understand when folks talk about that slight edge off of the temperatures from what we`re used to.....it certainly wasn't cool, it just wasn't boiling hot, so walking was ultra pleasant.........and so not what we were used to in September........and you could feel it was going to get so much warmer.

The queues for tickets was long today!!! I was so glad we didn't have to do that.........but, the parks were just opening and we were all so excited to be back.....us because it had been so recently since we were there, and Kyle because it had been 3 years. This felt so good.

i-tRpVLJz-XL.jpg

i-753ccnd-XL.jpg

We took the usual pictures as we went through the park entrance.........and it was odd going into the store and not doing it to cool down......

We were looking forward to seeing the park decorations, they looked to be subtle and not in your face.......

i-NfjWWfc-XL.jpg

We all went on the Hulk, Kyle wanted to do this before any other ride.......and it was fabulous!!! Kyle beamed all the way around.....Tom was of course waving and yelling with the best of them......I did my usual and clung on and hoped it wouldn't get too rough......but we were on the front row which was our favourite. We all came off laughing so hard it was so much fun......but, I wanted to do other rides today, so I told them to go back on while I wandered around and took some pictures.......didn't have to tell them twice........

i-MwK6zt4-XL.jpg

i-dL96Xvc-XL.jpg

It is so pretty down here, and many folks don't take the time to wander down and look.......it`s usually quiet, and today was no different.

i-pDWRpHK-XL.jpg

i-DpccK94-XL.jpg

They went on another 3 times, and got front row twice and the back row once.......and Kyle was absolutely bouncing by now!!! He was ready for Doom......

i-r3zQwcH-XL.jpg

We all adore this ride......I say ride, it`s a short, sharp and sweet take off and then you`re back down......but, it is so much fun.....especially when you come right out of your seat!!!! That`s the best bit when you`re so high up in the air........I was surprised to see how busy it was today. We knew it was much quieter than later in December, but it was busier so far than we were used to in September. Regular line for Doom was 15 minutes, so we of course would EP it........we went on it around 9 times........straight off and straight back on!!! It was kinda like being greedy for more candy, only we wanted more and more rides on this one......

Next up was Spider-Man........I do like this ride a lot......and both of them do too.......so we wandered around and there was no line really.......when we went in the EP line they were taking pictures for their new security checks for EP.....they take your image and match it for the future against you.......several rides we entered the EP line this year had it........trying to find ways of folks not abusing the EP.

The ride itself was as good as always.......we didn't even stop today.......walked straight through and didn't even stop when they gave us our glasses and walked straight on the ride vehicle........that's a walk on!!! Fabulous ride as always........so much fun........it never feels as rough as TF for some reason, I can do SM many times in a row but can`t do TF now. But, we enjoy this today.........

We walk through the store and of course see the decorations and trees.........

i-fNM8fnX-XL.jpg

i-qLdNnjc-XL.jpg

And my favourite colour.........I love Christmas trees!!!!

i-bRDWFvp-XL.jpg

It`s now warming up nicely........this was just perfect and all with no high humidity.......I can see why people love this time of year, and friends at the hotel and parks often talk about how much they love this time of year for temps........I cant imagine working over here in the heat of the summer.......

i-RWDdKtm-XL.jpg

We were heading round to do Kong. This was new to Kyle and he was keen to see it.......we hadn't told him anything about it so it would all be new to him......and he hadn't read my September trip report yet as he didn't want any spoilers for this trip.......but, of course we took a million pictures today on the way around......he was very patient.

As it had been so long, we had to get the water soaker going.......sadly there was only one or two boats with anyone in them as they had just opened the ride........but we got them!!!! And it was funny..........just like old times really......

i-tm28tVg-XL.jpg

i-9Qf9JfH-XL.jpg

The sun was now becoming quite bright and dazzled us as we faced into it.......but it was glorious........

i-3xqnf6f-XL.jpg

We reached Kong and didn't take too many pictures in all honesty, we just wanted to enjoy this section of the park as it was so new to him........but of course we had to take a couple for posterity.........

i-mRdcjMQ-XL.jpg

So, he thought Kong was good. It`s not spectacular........but it`s fun.........we didn't go through the regular line as it was a little long, Kyle is all about the rides, not necessarily the queue........he said he would do it again, but wouldn't wait any length of time for it......which is exactly what we thought. I do like the real Kong at the end, can`t believe some folks don't know it`s not cgi at the end. Anyway, we had done it and wouldn't do it again today........

Coming back out of the ride was like September now.......it was hot and we were cheering as someone behind bemoaned the fact it was December and they should be colder. Really???

We weren't however going to do any water rides.........it just wasn't 100f so no water rides for us......so we rather sadly walked past JP........

We
did pass the Raptor experience, but the line was long and we had done it, Kyle wasn't fussed about doing it at all, so round to Potter.

We aren't massive Potter fans......we love it, but we aren't the huge fans that some are and take their enthusiasm to a different level.......I do love to see folks who have made the effort though and are in gowns and school outfits......it is so cute to see. So although we are just regular Potter fans........we absolutely adore both areas, and seeing the castle always feels so good as it is so impressive. Best castle in Orlando........lol.......

i-b64V3gd-XL.jpg

i-pXWDzx6-XL.jpg

i-kkHKwHg-XL.jpg

i-tMFbP6V-XL.jpg

i-Wb6NNKg-XL.jpg

i-GjpX5Pw-XL.jpg

This was the tower that had been added to host some of the lights for the projection show on the castle......they had incorporated it really well in to surroundings........we were looking forward to seeing it later tonight.

i-5BVhV7q-XL.jpg

We all went and lined up for Ep on FJ......Kyle had forgotten they now had it, so he was pleased.....although you cant really see each other on the ride, it would be nice to sit altogether as we usually did single rider to avoid the regular line.......regular line was at 50 minutes this morning..........we walked more or less straight on with EP.........I could only do this once today........not the rides fault, it was me........sometimes I can do it more than once, other times it`s just once......so they were going back on and I told them to do it as often as they wanted.......I`d just be taking pictures and we`d find each other.........

This area as most know was being decorated for the first time........and I knew Rowling had insisted it be tasteful, so I didn't expect a whole host of colour and sparkle........but it was pretty and definitely tasteful.

i-KdQfTJb-XL.jpg

i-6PhfBdk-XL.jpg

i-tLfFXGz-XL.jpg

i-5jxcKZk-XL.jpg

i-jWqWCd7-XL.jpg

i-Bxqj3R5-XL.jpg

I was loving this..........it was perfect........and it even kinda felt Christmassy now........maybe it was the fake snow.........

I turned and saw my least favourite sight in the parks right now.......

i-hkZNNsx-XL.jpg

How we missed Duelling Dragons........and although I know what`s going in is going to thrill so many.....this ride will be missed.

i-S8xgB8f-XL.jpg

i-ktNdPQM-XL.jpg

i-HwNspWg-XL.jpg

i-HG6fqtz-XL.jpg

i-R3fpsRD-XL.jpg

It was still early but we were thirsty so went back into the 3B`s for a drink............

Cont..............

I'm reading along! So fun that you are back again so soon. The day we were leaving they were just setting up the Gingerbread House Table, Glad to see how it is turning out. We did enjoy the RPR, it is a fabulous Hotel and can not beat the location!
The Palm, and that Lobster Bisque, another thing on my list we didn't get to do, Guess we will have to be back afterall!

I'm reading along! So fun that you are back again so soon. The day we were leaving they were just setting up the Gingerbread House Table, Glad to see how it is turning out. We did enjoy the RPR, it is a fabulous Hotel and can not beat the location!
The Palm, and that Lobster Bisque, another thing on my list we didn't get to do, Guess we will have to be back afterall!

:welcome:.........glad to have you along for this one too......short as it may be.........I hope you enjoy it too....

Oh the gingerbread houses were quite impressive.......and to see them evolve was nice............and so glad you enjoyed RP.......yep, fabulous hotel and location is second to none.......

Oh you have to go back soon........lol........The Palm is impressive.........food is so good! Definitely our favourite onsite restaurant from the hotels........:wave2:

We reached Kong and didn't take too many pictures in all honesty, we just wanted to enjoy this section of the park as it was so new to him

We didn't get see this when we were there in 2016. It had just opened and the lines were crazy and there was no EP for it yet. It is on our list to do for August.

Best castle in Orlando........lol.......

No need to get carried away ;-)

.I blame the moon!!! Did you see it that night......absolutely glorious......I had left the drapes open so we could see it if one of us was awake.

I think I remember this! It was before our trip, but I remember coming back from the market one night, and the moon was unusually big and bright.

Great pictures as always Schumi!

Thanks!!!!

We didn't get see this when we were there in 2016. It had just opened and the lines were crazy and there was no EP for it yet. It is on our list to do for August.

No need to get carried away ;-)

I`m sure you`ll like Kong........hope you can manage the full line too if it`s not too bad......it`s worth a walk through at least once....

Is there another castle in Orlando.........lol......nope I think the Potter castle is so impressive.......every time I see it, I get more and more impressed. Would love to think there`s a secret apartment up there somewhere..........

But it is the best

Schumi said so.....

Thank you..........:D Of course it`s the best castle........:rolleyes1

I think I remember this! It was before our trip, but I remember coming back from the market one night, and the moon was unusually big and bright.

Yep, we knew a supermoon was due at that time so we were watching out for it........so impressive!!! Took some pictures but they didn't work through the glass.....as Kyle is a keen astronomer we did think of getting dressed and going outside to see it and picture it, but sleep won over that desire.......sleep does win out a lot on that front!!! :wave2:

Oooh, fake snow. Really enjoying seeing the decorations in Potter area.

Awesome pictures. You all look happy, and such a beautiful looking day.

Oooh, fake snow. Really enjoying seeing the decorations in Potter area.

Awesome pictures. You all look happy, and such a beautiful looking day.

Thanks Lynne.......we were having the best time with our boy!!! You know what it`s like when they grow up......it`s lovely to be able to spend all that time together without work or whatever keeps them busy........precious.

You`ll love the way the Potter areas are decorated........very pretty, but not over the top.......and this is from someone who really does love over the top trees and stuff :D

MONDAY CONT............

We like the 3B`s for drinks not the food. Not that there`s anything wrong with it, just doesn't appeal to us......and isn't really British if you know what I mean.......sure we have Cornish Pasties, but not like them and never, ever served with salad........won`t even mention beef and lamb together in the Leaky Cauldron!!!! So, we did enjoy having a drink in here. It`s not overly busy today but folks are already starting to order lunch......it does smell nice I have to say........

We order a pumpkin fizz, lemonade and a water for Kyle........Tom and I will share both other drinks as we like them both.......particularly the pumpkin fizz. It`s not like pumpkin juice which I find a little heavy to drink......this is just nice. A nice alternative to Butterbeer of which we are not really fans of the stuff. The guy serving asks where he knows us from, and Tom laughs and thinks here we go........but I actually think he served us last year too.....good memory if that's where he did know us from.........nice guy.

i-MxpxsGx-XL.jpg

It`s nice and cool in here and we enjoy our drinks.........it was strange not being absolutely boiled beyond belief.......but it was nice........the drinks we did enjoy and of course had to get a picture of the 3 Broomsticks in.........Tom just looks the happiest man on earth with his pumpkin fizz

i-84MnRS8-XL.jpg

We didn't sit too long as we wanted to get on with our day.......

i-zntFt3Z-XL.jpg

It was very quiet at this point......except for a couple of Japanese tourists who were playing spells at each other.......

i-QCx5GPd-XL.jpg

We walked by DD and mused again what a miss it would be.......Kyle in particular was gutted as it was his favourite ride of all time in any park. But, we headed round and left Potter area........we would be back tonight to watch the Castle light show.....but for now we wandered past the fountain who was engaging with a rather exuberant young boy of around 7 who was overjoyed to being soaked by it......didn't recognize this fountain voice, but he was funny.......very smart and quick.......part of the job description I suppose........

I always get pictures of this building every time we visit, as I'm sure one time it wont be here.......well, it will be here but just re-themed as something Potter......only a matter of time.......just my opinion of course........lol.......the actual walk through that is Poseidon is a one and done for us......not one time per visit, but, a one and only. We were bored silly and apart form the water vortex at the end, its not worth doing...of course some people do enjoy it, and I would always say do it at least once, you may like it........so I wouldn't mind if it was replaced. But, it is such a beautiful and impressive building...........

i-DTGKvXj-XL.jpg

i-3cFpfvV-XL.jpg

The image above I am always being teased about........we were on our 3rd or 4th visit to Universal.......when I looked at it one day and asked if it was new.......both looked at me as though I had lost my marbles........lol......I honestly had never noticed it.........oops!!! So, it does get mentioned 8 or 9 times a trip....just to remind me!!!

Now we were going on to Zeuss.........not our usual area we look forward to, but we were looking forward to seeing how it was decorated.......and boy it doesn't disappoint.........it is beautifully done.......and makes me quite emotional all of a sudden. Being here at Christmastime with all 3 of us here......and it`s hot.......well, what more can you ask for.

i-45Gm45Q-XL.jpg

i-MmbQNjG-XL.jpg

i-cS9h6n3-XL.jpg

i-HffzSJ2-XL.jpg

And we run into this guy..........

i-k22bCsp-XL.jpg

There really were a million photo ops around here.......think I covered most of them..........

We do the trolley train, wasn't sure if Kyle would want to do it, but he did.......so we went though EP line as the regular queue was a massive 10 minutes......and again we got our pictures or image taken by a machine.......this is a great little ride, not just for kiddies.....plenty of adults go on this with and without kids......and you do get a lovely view of the park.....and depending what track you at eon you may go through the centre of Circus McGurkas and can look down on everyone. The other way kinda freaked me out a little this time.......I hadn't realized how high it was above the water part!!! Of course I looked down.......not a great idea. They both thought it was so hilarious how freaked out I was........ But we enjoyed our little diversion for a few minutes.........

i-pBnkfpB-XL.jpg

i-cfpBnpq-XL.jpg

i-qvk4VM4-XL.jpg

It really only takes a few moments to ride the train......we come out and head towards the exit.......it seems to be dulling down a little by now......so the glare isn't too bad........but still lovely and warm.

There were some characters roaming around taking pictures with folks and generally making everyone smile a little bit more......they were a huge amount of fun, and looking at them closely, the make up was amazing. I know they have experts to do it all, but, it`s so well done.

i-jmQWMrj-XL.jpg

We all decide around now that we are all hungry........and we had left the lunch choice to Kyle today.....and he had chosen Confisco Grill......he really liked it in here too. We had missed a year as we hadn't enjoyed it one year, so left it for a while....but, we went back in September and it was lovely, so we hoped he would choose that place.........we headed out in that direction and got some snaps on the way.........

i-X2hFqhX-XL.jpg

i-CkTtrTB-XL.jpg

i-bdFWjST-XL.jpg

i-z5BP2CC-XL.jpg

It is now quite cloudy but no less hot.......so we go into CG and it`s not at all busy.......some folks don't know about this place. Most think of Mythos first, but actually I think this place gives Mythos a run for it`s money with both food and service. We are seated immediately and we have a look at the menu`s although I think we all know what we`re having. We have been known to study a menu or two while we wait to come over.......

As we have no plans to move the car for a few days, we decide to order some sangria......we had it in September and it was lovely......not too strong and quite refreshing.......so we ordered half a pitcher......well, we had the rest of the day to get through......and Kyle ordered a chocolate milk shake.

i-HTKpPGC-XL.jpg

i-QPvnhZ9-XL.jpg

Food wise, we order a cheese pizza for Kyle, Tom goes for the cheeseburger and I choose the spicy chicken and shrimp sandwich, and of course ask for extra jalapenos.........the lady taking care of us asks if I'm sure I`ll need them.......I laugh that I hope the sandwich is indeed spicy.....she promises it is but says she`ll put the jalapenos on the side anyway.........

And the sangria is a little stronger than last time.....wow!!!!

It`s a really nice restaurant......apart from being almost empty today it has a nice friendly atmosphere..........

i-ZhK54mr-XL.jpg

Our food arrives fairly soon.......you can see the open kitchen and everything is cooked fresh to order, which we really like........and it doesn't disappoint......

i-TnKgMtc-XL.jpg

i-f4VZm63-XL.jpg

i-w4g4XWp-XL.jpg

The pizza was bigger than it looked. We loved our meals from here today.......and the spicy chicken was indeed spicy, very spicy so I wasn't disappointed at all and it was perfectly cooked.......I did still add the jalapenos of course........we were glad we had come in here today. They now come around with an Ice Cream Sandwich making trolley.......full of delights for topping too.......we were too full to enjoy it, but it looked like it was going to be popular.

We pay our check and head back out, it is fairly dull.......

We are heading back to the hotel to get the new keys for our new room and we feel like a 10 minute sit down too.......although the heat wasn't blasting us, we felt a little done in now.......but..................Christmas shop first.........my favourite store in the whole of Universal!!!

i-pz7gLgM-XL.jpg

They had certainly upped the scent as you entered the store......it did have the aroma of Christmas all year round, but this seemed stronger than usual, and lovely, so lovely. We didn't plan on buying today but always have a good mooch around......

i-sbG52DW-XL.jpg

i-bxx8fLB-XL.jpg

We walked through the other side of the store after we had seen a good few things we thought we would buy. We took our time and headed back to the hotel where my two looked like they would sleep for a week.......well, maybe an hour or so. I did think Kyle maybe had a headache at that point, but never mentioned it as there`s nothing more annoying than someone telling you that you don't look well, but he had gone a little pale. So, room it was but first stopped off at the desk to get keys and chatted to the staff for a while as there was one we hadn't seen yet.........Kyle at this point began to wonder if there was anyone in the hotel we didn't know. I`m sure there was one or two.......

We liked the new room........it was just the opposite way around, but with the same view and instead of the larger bathroom we now had the very nice stand alone shower, with the barn door that seems to split opinion on folks that hate them and folks that don't..........we didn't mind it at all. I think with family it`s fine, but I can see how if you were sharing with someone you maybe weren't as close with, it might be different. Not very private........but this would work for us.......

i-RtcNH5b-XL.jpg

i-KSkbndH-XL.jpg

Kyle indeed did have a headache and after taking two pain relief tablets he fell asleep. Tom and I unpacked between us, and wondered if he would feel like going back out later.

Cont in next post..........

I love the pumpkin fizz! Really, I love all the Potter special drinks, but we all really liked the fizz this year. Tom continues to be the happiest man on Earth in all of your pictures! He never fails to make me smile. I think Kyle looks very much like you.

We took our kids to Poseidon's Fury for the first time ever this trip. I thought they would hate it, but they actually really liked it!

Your Suess pictures are great! I was there last November, and loved that bright, lively area all decked out for Christmas!

We've never eaten at Confisco Grill...not sure why? It certainly looks yummy, and I enjoy a good sangria!
May have to remedy that on our next trip!

I always get pictures of this building every time we visit, as I'm sure one time it wont be here.......well, it will be here but just re-themed as something Potter......only a matter of time.......just my opinion of course........lol.......the actual walk through that is Poseidon is a one and done for us......not one time per visit, but, a one and only. We were bored silly and apart form the water vortex at the end, its not worth doing...of course some people do enjoy it, and I would always say do it at least once, you may like it........so I wouldn't mind if it was replaced. But, it is such a beautiful and impressive building...........

So we finally did Poseidon's Fury and I totally agree. Love the building too, but I don't see us going back. Very boring, and not worth the wait. I'd love if they kept the area themed the way it is but changed up the attractions, although that probably won't happen.

I like the bathrooms, but the door is a bit odd. I wish it closed all the way because it was letting out all the warmth while I was in the shower :rotfl:

So we finally did Poseidon's Fury and I totally agree. Love the building too, but I don't see us going back. Very boring, and not worth the wait. I'd love if they kept the area themed the way it is but changed up the attractions, although that probably won't happen.

I like the bathrooms, but the door is a bit odd. I wish it closed all the way because it was letting out all the warmth while I was in the shower :rotfl:

That bathroom door does split opinions.........I didn’t notice it getting cold though......and I usually feel the cold anywhere........lol but yes it is different!

Yep, boring is the way I’d describe it too.........would never queue for it either........but, yes, beautiful building.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter