6 park days - what parks? No park hopping

wolfbeagle

Earning My Ears
Our August trip will include 6 park days. We do not have park hoppers and won't upgrade to hoppers. Which park(s) do you recommend doing more than once? I am leaning towards MK 3 days, and Epcot, HS, and AK one day each. I am second guessing myself though, and wondering if 2 MK days is enough??? Not sure of any other park that is worth 2 days though? My kids are ages 3, 6, and 8, and don't like thrill rides. Our 60 day FP window comes up on Wed, so trying to figure this out. Thanks!

I would do 2 days each at MK and AK. But that's my personal preference, I usually pick AK as my first park to spend a 2nd day at over all the others, including MK. But you have to look at what your family enjoys. Based on their ages, I would go with 2 days at MK and AK, or maybe the 3 days at MK like you mentioned.

This really will come down to personal preference and tastes. All of the parks have enough non-thrill rides to spend more than one day in, especially if you want to repeat things. Do they like animals? Like Star Wars? Would they really like Nemo, Spaceship Earth, Living w/Land type things? Those answers will determine how to break it up. I'd do 2 MK for sure. Which of the other 3 you repeat will be based on what they/you like best.

For me, Epcot is the park I regret not spending more time in. I think 2 days could really help take your time around each country and really enjoy it and find all the little details. Doubly so if there's a festival going on.

Considering the ages of your children I think you plan is great. As a family we do each park for 2 days but we have been several times and usually save the Magic Kingdom for the end or almost end of our trip. Any time we have had an extra day I always apply it to the Magic Kingdom because it really takes 3 days to do it right.

Thanks for the ideas. I may book fastpasses for 3 days of MK, but be willing to change the last day if needed, after we have already been to AK and Epcot. Unfortunately if we decide to switch parks at the last minute we won't get the best fastpasses. I am planning on HS on our last day, but I don't imagine anyone in my family wanting to spend 2 days in that park.
My younger kids are obsessed with Nemo/Dory, and I think they'll like Soarin', but the countries may not appeal to them.

We have six park days and we are doing 2MK, 2EP, 1AK and 1HS. We didn't really get to WS in EP last time and really want to spend some time there. As MK is good for grabbing same-day fastpasses, we think 2 days is sufficient. I have two boys 8 and 5, but they are more into rides vs. character meet and greet.

WHen my kids were those ages, before FP+, to do 2 MK, 2 EP, 1 AK and 1 DHS. Due to FP+ and park hoppers it’s obviously different now.

Thanks for the ideas. I may book fastpasses for 3 days of MK, but be willing to change the last day if needed, after we have already been to AK and Epcot. Unfortunately if we decide to switch parks at the last minute we won't get the best fastpasses.

I like this plan. If you change parks, you will be able to get some of the FP that you want, especially since your kids do not like the big thrill rides that are hard to get FP. With a little work the day of, you can get a lot of the FP that you will want. Have a great trip.

My kids are 2 and 5. We are leaving today after 5 park days. We did have park hoppers but over the course of 5 days/9 park “sessions” (one afternoon we didn’t go back into a park after naps) we did this:

3 MK
3 Epcot
2 Hollywood Studios
1 Animal Kingdom

The plan was 4 MK and 2 Epcot, but our kids wanted to go back to Epcot on our final night. There really is a lot of them to do there. My two year old rode living with the land three times. She called it “the slow flower boat ride.” This worked really well and I didn’t feel like we really missed anything at AK by only doing it once. My son loves thrill rides but wasn’t tall enough for Everest or FoP yet, so one long morning there sufficed. But all kids/families are different. Good luck! You’ll have fun no matter what you do.

We typically do 2 MK and 2 Epcot (if you’re into the countries I’d prob do 2 at Epcot for sure) or 2 MK, 1 Epcot, 1 water park. Then 1 AK, 1 HS. We’ve always been able to do both those parks in 1 day with zero issues and it’s been really relaxing days, no rushing. I think 3 days at MK is A LOT, especially if you’re going later in August when most of the kids are back in school. It’s usually not very busy. We’ll get everything done in day 1 and then use day 2 for seconds, thirds, etc, of our favorites. We also schedule 2-3 full service sit down means and still are able to do everything. We make sure to utilize our fast passes early so we get 4th, 5th, 6th. We don’t typically schedule parks on weekends since they are busier. Only time is maybe second day at MK if it’s open until like 2am or something crazy like that.

We were in the same situation and we did:
2 - MK
2 - Ep
1 - HS
1 - AK
1 - Blizzard Beach - nothing beats a WDW waterpark in August!

Even though we are DL locals, MK had enough attractions and crowds that 2 day were necessary. Also, it's nice to have a night where you are not seeing the fireworks to enjoy attractions without queues. Epcot is so big, and it was so hot in August, that I found two days necessary. Plus if you want to have a FP for both Test Track and Frozen/Soarin you'll need two days. We did all we wanted at both HS and AK by 2:00 each day. I would not do 2 days at AK unless you are offsite and not able to get a FOP FP. And even then, with proper touring plans, I think 1 day would be sufficient.

ETA - We thought 2 days at MK was enough. The only thing we missed that we wanted to do was go to Tom Sawyer Island, but we also took long breaks at WL to nap and swim so we easily could have. We got to MK at rope drop each day, stayed until 2:00ish then came back around 6:00 for dinner and to stay until close. My kids were 9 and 6 and thought closing down MK at 10:00 was amazing. I would not have traded my second Epcot day for a third MK day.

If this were my family, we would do 2 MK, 2 Epcot, and then 1 each of AK and HS. We have tried to only do 1 or 1/2 at Epcot and we always regret it. There is just so much to see and do!

I have given this a lot of consideration actually because I considered forgoing park hoppers once for a 6 day trip. This was my logic. MK has the most rides so 2 days, EPCOT has a lot of rides in future world and if you enjoy exploring other cultures World Showcase can take some time it's a vast park 2 days, The other 2 parks 1day each. This is based solely on how long it would take my family to hit as much of these parks as possible going from rope drop to close not leaving the park. I'm like Veruca Salt when I get there "I want it all!" I would end with MK because I like to close with a classic ride like Mansion, Pirates, or Big Thunder. I'm not sure why but anything else seems anticlimactic to me. Think about if you had one last ride before it permanently closed what would you want it to be? And you'll know your closer.

I would lean toward 2 MK, 2 Epcot, 1 AK, 1 HS.

However I'd schedule the 2nd Epcot as day 5 or 6 and let the family decide if they want to do another MK (or whatever) instead.

Our August trip will include 6 park days. We do not have park hoppers and won't upgrade to hoppers. Which park(s) do you recommend doing more than once? I am leaning towards MK 3 days, and Epcot, HS, and AK one day each. I am second guessing myself though, and wondering if 2 MK days is enough??? Not sure of any other park that is worth 2 days though? My kids are ages 3, 6, and 8, and don't like thrill rides. Our 60 day FP window comes up on Wed, so trying to figure this out. Thanks!

We tend to do 2MK, 2Epcot, and 1AK/HS. It depends a little where you are staying though.

in the World Showcase, your kids can tour the Kidcot stations. At each station it is fun to talk to the CM's a little and learn something about each country. the CM's in each country are from that country. The FW pavilions also have places for kids to explore. for example, the Seas has many aquariums with unusual critters like seahorses, eels, and even jellies (in the Turtle Talk waiting area). Epcot also has a number of character greeting spots, and the World Showcase pavilions have little hidden areas to explore.

Of all the gift shops, we often kind of skip past most of them, but the Japan store is just chock full of awesomeness for kids of all ages, including many reasonably priced items.

Even if your kids don't do thrill rides- the adults can still enjoy them. Short split ups are easy, especially if you happen to have 3 adults. One adult goes on the thrill ride, while the kids+1 adult go on a non-thrill ride/nap/snack/bathroom break/playground/water fountain/character greet. After, the kids re-ride or do something different w/the other parent. WDW is set up for this! Every thrill ride has easy options to keep little kids busy.

I don't think I'd choose 3 MK days, but it depends where you're staying. If you are at the values or mods, it doesn't matter as much, because getting around is roughly similar - at least until the new gondola opens. If it is open in August- you will likely want to use it.

For the deluxe hotels:
BC/YC/Bwk/Swan/Dolphin = all super easy walk/shuttle boat to both Epcot + HS.
AKL = close to AK
Monorail resorts, WL and Ft W = easy access to MK
Poly = relatively easy access to Epcot, otherwise the rest of the monorail resorts are a longer trek to Epcot, especially if you need to go directly to dining in the World Showcase.

August = hot afternoons, and (thunder)storms are common. Swim time can be a challenge because they close during lightning. Then again, so do all coasters and animal exhibits. So that could be a reason to consider 2 AK days (if it is important to see all the animals), or a reason to stay to 1 AK day. Of all the parks, Epcot tends to be the most breezy year round, and therefore feels a bit cooler.

You will greatly appreciate afternoon breaks, so you have good reason to plan both park days and dining options that are near your home resort.

Last edited:
If it were us we'd do 3 MK days and 1 at each of the other 3.

Thanks for the ideas. I may book fastpasses for 3 days of MK, but be willing to change the last day if needed, after we have already been to AK and Epcot. Unfortunately if we decide to switch parks at the last minute we won't get the best fastpasses. I am planning on HS on our last day, but I don't imagine anyone in my family wanting to spend 2 days in that park.
My younger kids are obsessed with Nemo/Dory, and I think they'll like Soarin', but the countries may not appeal to them.
When you go around the countries, each location had a Kidcot station where they can pick up a card and color it, get a stamp and talk to someone from that country. Your kids might enjoy that

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter