6 months trip to Disneyland, advice please!

Is the 18 year old not going to college then?
She has stated in other threads that her 18 y.o. is significantly developmentally disabled, IQ of around 50. She was posting on WDW side awhile back about seeing if she could get him a job bussing tables or something at WDW, if they have a program for hiring DD people. There again, the responses she got were encouraging her to stick to her own area for her son’s stability and happiness.
I think she’s checked out of this thread because some of the responses here have been less than kind.
I think everybody knows someone like this- gets a wild idea and doesn’t really think through the consequences or how it will affect others- and then gets upset when everybody doesn’t think it’s such a wonderful idea.
What is also concerning me with this thread is the simple meanness of some of the responses, not just here but elsewhere on the DLR side. When I started posting here 11 years ago, it was understood that you replied with tact and kindness. If you wanted to be more blunt, you used private messaging to the individual. I’ve been surprised, after a hiatus, how many people are outright insulting in their responses. No need to call someone stupid. Just state your thoughts kindly and leave it.
My two cents...

She has stated in other threads that her 18 y.o. is significantly developmentally disabled, IQ of around 50. She was posting on WDW side awhile back about seeing if she could get him a job bussing tables or something at WDW, if they have a program for hiring DD people. There again, the responses she got were encouraging her to stick to her own area for her son’s stability and happiness.
I think she’s checked out of this thread because some of the responses here have been less than kind.
I think everybody knows someone like this- gets a wild idea and doesn’t really think through the consequences or how it will affect others- and then gets upset when everybody doesn’t think it’s such a wonderful idea.
What is also concerning me with this thread is the simple meanness of some of the responses, not just here but elsewhere on the DLR side. When I started posting here 11 years ago, it was understood that you replied with tact and kindness. If you wanted to be more blunt, you used private messaging to the individual. I’ve been surprised, after a hiatus, how many people are outright insulting in their responses. No need to call someone stupid. Just state your thoughts kindly and leave it.
My two cents...

I was going to come back and suggest her 18 year old apply to be a CM but I guess that idea may not be possible..

Well, I was hoping to leave some hopefully practical and helpful information for the OP, but it seems like she has been run off of the site. Very disappointed to see that, especially since I feel like I can understand her predicament easier than some here can.

OP, if you come back, I'd love to offer some suggestions.

I agree. It’s probably beating a dead horse at this point.

My two cents...

Passions have a tendency to run deep among us in this community and I agree that it occasionally does come out more direct or even borderline rude at times. I try and temper my responses or comments, but I’m sure I’ve had my moments as well. I good spirited debate is ok every once in a while so long as it doesn’t cross into insults or troll bait.

This topic hit a nerve for many of us I believe. The OP’s plan has hints of issues that could be interpreted as being less than healthy for her and her family’s well being. If she was talking about herself only, I think the responses would have been more supportive.

I’ve seen threads on other sites asking where the line is between being a big fan of the Disney parks experience vs. being obsessive and unhealthy in the fandom. I believe many here saw some red flags, think the OP is in the latter, and have genuine concern for the state of her family which is what motivated such passionate responses.

Just jumping in to say that as a teacher - please don't uproot your kids like this without serious thought. I know you said you're a math teacher, so you know how important stability, routine and consistency is for kiddos. Also; you're a math teacher, but how comfortable are you teaching all four subjects at a level that mean when they go back home they're not behind their peers in school OR if you homeschool at home, that they're ready to enter higher education when that becomes a concern. If you do decide to go all in; at least spring for ikea bedframes - they're $72ish so your kids aren't "camping out" for half a year.

If this is a graduation present for your oldest, whom I assume is the one with significant disabilities mentioned on other boards (???), seriously consider the other option someone put up here - go for a month during the summer and go daily to the parks, especially since you're boycotting SW:GE, you should have few problems doing everything you want to.

Also, please learn their names. Calling them the black guy and the girl (it's Finn and Rey) is pretty problematic. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts