5K at AK?

I don’t know about that but I think they’d rather just use the same 5K course for everything. That way they can use the same finish area for all the races.

I'm not sure if it's laziness or penny pinching but rD has done their best to standardize their courses. It is a shame in my opinion.

Ya, I bet it is just easier and more cost effective. If they still sell the 5 and 10Ks over and over throughout the year, while still having them all at Epcot, why wouldn't they just take the easiest way out? No need to offer much variety.

Surprising that they don't bring it back and sell it with an upcharge.

The 2006 central Florida Race for the Cure was at AK. It was more low key and didn’t require all of the logistics - busses, expo, etc. Just a more basic start and finish line with a few cones and Marshall’s was all that was needed. Too bad Disney doesn’t do any community events anymore. (They use to also host a half Ironman.) Recently it was getting hard enough to just to have runDisney races with out interrupting park day guests.

While I completely understand that the parks were getting too busy over the years to have outside events, part of me wonders if they might try some of these events post COVID to boost day traffic. Obviously that has to be after the safety considerations are in place. It could be a way for them to pull in locals if that becomes a needed economic stream.

That 5K through AK from 2018 Wine and Dine was definitely my favorite course ever.
I’m still bitter that the day after AP registration for 2019 they announced the 5K would be moving from DAK to Epcot as the reason I signed up was mainly to run a different park (only been in Epcot and studios)

The 2006 central Florida Race for the Cure was at AK. It was more low key and didn’t require all of the logistics - busses, expo, etc. Just a more basic start and finish line with a few cones and Marshall’s was all that was needed. Too bad Disney doesn’t do any community events anymore. (They use to also host a half Ironman.) Recently it was getting hard enough to just to have runDisney races with out interrupting park day guests.

While I completely understand that the parks were getting too busy over the years to have outside events, part of me wonders if they might try some of these events post COVID to boost day traffic. Obviously that has to be after the safety considerations are in place. It could be a way for them to pull in locals if that becomes a needed economic stream.

In 2008 there was a non rD race through Epcot. It was some kidney foundation but I don't remember exactly. Disney had some entertainment there at the finish line and it was really early before the park opened. I really wish they would bring back some non-rD events at the parks but I highly doubt that will happen.

I really wish they would get a little more inventive with their races and race weekends. It is far too formulaic now and anything that was fun and different like the Tower of Terror 13K, W&D being run at night, and whatever that scavenger hunt at AK was called has been cancelled or moved into their standard race weekend formula.

Was it a cost cutting measure you think?

They stopped it without explanation. Then, over time, they changed things around at AK and, after years of explaning that the short hours at AK were for the sake of the animals, made the hours much later there.

2014 Wine and Dine, which was held during a really rotten rainstorm, showed that AK was very very slippery and dangerous to run through at night. 2015 Wine and Dine, which was turned into half of a half because of a delay caused by lightning then shortening the half because of the foliage down in AK, IMO, proved it to them.

I think the combo of all that ended it all. Plus, making things an all-weekend event makes them loads more money. Doing that with a scavenger hunt race would be difficult for them.

I still mourn TOT.

They stopped it without explanation. Then, over time, they changed things around at AK and, after years of explaning that the short hours at AK were for the sake of the animals, made the hours much later there.

Right, those short hours were for the savings in pay for Disney's pocketbook. I suspected that long before they pushed the hours out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter