55 Things To Know Before You Visit Disney World

DeterminedOne

DIS Veteran
Found these tips on Pinterest. Agree or disagree with any of them? Missing anything? I disagree with 22. I agree with 52 & 54 the most. 44 and 51 made me laugh out loud.

1) Do Your Homework
2) Get There First (parks)
3) Stay On-Site
4) Know the Lay of the Land
5) Have a Plan
6) Use FP+
7) Use Morning Extra Magic Hours Strategically
8) Expect Crowds
9) Get the Apps and Know How to Use Them
10) Wear Your Magic Band
11) Train for Your Trip
12) You Don't Need a Car
13) Prepare for the Weather
14) Buy Your Park Tickets
15) Get Memory Maker
16) Make Dining Reservations ASAP
17) Make Lunch Reservations
18) Get into the Park First with a Breakfast Reservation
19) Make FastPass+ Reservations 60 Days Before Trip
20) Don't Over Schedule Your Day
21) Get the Kids Involved
22) Watch the Movies
23) Be Realistic
24) Know Your Group
25) Learn the Language (e.g., ADR, EMH)
26) Count Down
27) Consult a Crowd Calendar
28) Park Schedules can Change
29) Check in Before You Leave Home
30) Know the Rules
31) Arrive Well Rested
32) Bring a Backpack
33) Charge Your Phone
34) Wear the Right Shoes
35) Wear Sunscreen
36) Get a Free Pin/Wear in the Parks
37) Buy Mickey Ears
38) Use the Photopass Photographers
39) Park Hop
40) Use Uber or a Taxi
41) Take Breaks
42) Have a Snack
43) Stay Hydrated
44) Watch Out for Parades
45) Be Flexible
46) You Can't Do Everything
47) Try Something New
48) Try Something Old
49) Don't Freak Out
50) Ride Single
51) Wash Your Hands
52) Look for Hidden Mickeys
53)Expect Everything Will Take Longer than You Expect
54) Look for Easter Eggs (Hidden Treasures)
55) Go Informed

Courtesy of goinformed.net

I disagree with 3, 15, 17, 18, 32, 36, 37, 39

But different strokes for different folks. :)

Uh, oh! Did I do something wrong? Is #51 way too controversial? :laughing:

What I think that our popcorn poppy friend is saying is that there can be 1001 different ways to tour WDW, and every way is the right way. Tips for WDW are fine, but they have to be tailored to your touring style, parks you like, whether or not you're staying off site, et. al.

Uh, oh! Did I do something wrong? Is #51 way too controversial? :laughing:

It's all generally good advice, though some are bound to disagree with a few of them, like "Stay on-site." Personally, I like to as well, but some people do not prefer it, and it's not really a must. I wouldn't worry about it though since this is all good natured and not a list of demands that everyone must follow.

I disagree with 3, 15, 17, 18, 32, 36, 37, 39

But different strokes for different folks. :)

Yeah, I'm struggling with 15 (Memory Maker) - still deciding. I wish I could figure out how to get away from 32 (bring a backpack). I have too much stuff for just a purse.

I don't get memory maker, because I travel alone, so it's not worth it to me.

I used to carry a backpack. Then I decided I was going to try just my wallet/phone and epi-pen, figuring anything I really need I could find it the park. It was so freeing.

We have done 22, watching the movies has been an awesome part of the build up for us. When you are booking 180 days out, you have to keep motivation going, and especially for the younger ones having more of a frame of reference really helps. Plus, we really like movies!

I don't get memory maker, because I travel alone, so it's not worth it to me.

I used to carry a backpack. Then I decided I was going to try just my wallet/phone and epi-pen, figuring anything I really need I could find it the park. It was so freeing.

I am the absent minded professor so I always end up in the gift shop for everyday items and pay a up charge for it

Some seem to be the same:
1 Do your Homework
55 Go Informed
(wouldn't that be the same thing?)
Great list and good easy to read advice.

I disagree with #3. Staying onsite is overly prized by many, but offsite, I can save a lot of money while getting more space, amenities that I value like a kitchen and/or living area separate from bedroom, quieter environment, etc.

As for #14, buy your park tickets-- as opposed to what? Showing up to the park and hoping they just let you in?

My biggest tips that haven't been mentioned:

Do NOT expect to do everything. Prioritize which things are must-dos and then leave some of your schedule open for flexibility. You'll stress yourself out if you try to be THAT person who has everything scheduled down to the minute. (Although I suppose this could go under "be realistic")

Take some time to just appreciate being in the parks. People watch while taking a break. Explore a new path you haven't taken. Look for details. Slow down and look around, even if it's just for 5 minutes. Allow yourself to suspend reality for a second and believe that you really are in the middle of your favorite Disney movie or in France or in a jungle or on Main Street during the turn of the century. Allowing yourself to soak up the atmosphere will add to your experience.

This is my first time planning my own trip to Disney World and only my second time going I find all of this extremely useful!

This is my first time planning my own trip to Disney World and only my second time going I find all of this extremely useful!

When I first read the list I thought - this might be helpful for someone planning their first trip. It does a good job of breaking down the massive amount of information into small bites. Glad it helped.

As for #14, buy your park tickets-- as opposed to what? Showing up to the park and hoping they just let you in?

I assume she meant to type ahead of time at the end. Obviously she didn't mean buy them rather than not buy them. But buying them ahead of time can obviously save a lot of precious time.

Good checklist. Now that we have stayed on site we won't every stay off site again. No driving, no parking, no gas fill ups and it feels like you never leave the Disney magic. :smickey:

I agree with many of them. If I had more room in my budget my opinion may be different. Our first trip we did offsite for the first couple of days and AoA Cars (it was brand new at the time) for 5 days with Free Dining. But for the "free dining" we preferred the more space offsite for our family of six (at the time). We had a kitchen and laundry in our 2BD 2BA at Lake Buena Vista Resort & Spa.

But planning and researching are definitely important. And then being flexible to experience spontaneous magic happenings along the way. Especially with larger groups having a plan saves the standing around discussing what everyone wants to do and then debating/arguing about it and wasting valuable park time.

Can I also advise to not take the whole family to the CS window at lunch and hmm and haw over the menu. Write down what everyone wants (or better yet preorder) and send one or two up. I hate getting in line behind the family that examines the menu and debates it all while ordering.

My number 1 is: MANAGE EXPECTATIONS.

The planning can be very meticulous. The lead up to the trip is very exciting. Then, you get there and most things aren't what you drew them to be in your mind. Fantasyland isn't as magical, HM isn't as spooky, and Splash isn't as splashy. It'll never end up being what you think it is. Sometimes it's better than expected, sometimes worse, but it's NEVER the way you draw it up.

My number 1 is: MANAGE EXPECTATIONS.

The planning can be very meticulous. The lead up to the trip is very exciting. Then, you get there and most things aren't what you drew them to be in your mind. Fantasyland isn't as magical, HM isn't as spooky, and Splash isn't as splashy. It'll never end up being what you think it is. Sometimes it's better than expected, sometimes worse, but it's NEVER the way you draw it up.
I feel that's like understanding the the food pictures shown on menus and the food shown on commercials----it's extremely unlikely that it's going to look like the picture or the commercial. Doesn't mean the food won't be good, doesn't mean the food won't be bad, but just understanding that it's unlikely to be what is pictured.

*Just my thoughts though :) *

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!