52-Week Money Challenge

disny_luvr

DIS Veteran
Is anyone doing it this year? I started it last year and saved a little more than $500 but kind of got out of the groove of saving every week after I returned from vacation. I did take that $500+ with us on vacation and used it as extra spending money. I’m looking forward to doing it again this year and hopefully seeing it through to the end of the year.

I’m in! I tried this for the 1st time last year and was really happy with the motivation it gave me to have an extra savings. I finished the yearly goal in October and then kept setting aside money each week for our June Disney trip. This year’s 52 week challenge is going to be separate from my Disney savings account. I need to average $48/week though June 1st to meet my goal for that savings, so putting money into the 52 week savings challenge may not work, but I want to try. I love a good goal and challenge!

This will make my third year! Honestly about August I fall behind, but the $400-$500 I save still helps toward Christmas. This year I'm dabbling with doing it reverse and starting with the larger amounts (need to decide asap, as my first week's deposit needs to get made :) )

Santa brought us all a jar at Christmas so we can all save for our England/Scotland vacation. We have completed the challenge before but it has been a few years so looking forward to doing it again this year.

I am going to give it a shot this year.. I will probably just start throwing some pocket change in and cross off the numbers 1-52 depending on the amount I put in the envelope .. I figure this will cover the majooof a surprise trip I want to take my wife in in January of 2020

I have been doing it every year and last year I started another one and earmarked the second one for travel. Love doing it!

I just throw change... Any change from coins to broken 5s or singles into a jar at the end of the day. That was 600 and change last year.
I use my cc exclusively for food/restaurants/shopping/ bills ( that don’t charge a cc fee) and then just transfer $ to pay it off online..( never have had a fee or a late charge ) and cc is fee free.
Last year made just over a grand of “ free money” the banks’ match to my direct deposit into checking of the 1/2/3 percent for the cc usage. A total Win!
I take all my dividend checks, rebates, gift money ( bdays, Holidays n anniversary ) n any other money that come in and put that aside as well.
Have hubby set up to do same thing with his charge. I nab that money as well, lol.
Basically I’m able to pay for a vacation each year. It’s just something that I started ages ago and continue today.
I like knowing there’s this xtra money that I “ sometimes” use during the year to splurge on something without really thinking on it too much.
Good luck to all for 2019! You can do it!

I did this last year, although slightly modified. I did the declining balance (52, 51, 50, etc.) until I hit the halfway point. Then I put in $26 per week for the second half of the year. It was designated for my Disney marathon weekend trip, which I am leaving for on Wednesday (woohoo!). I found it a fun way to gamify the saving process and kept me accountable for putting the money aside on a weekly basis.

Once I get back (absolutely NOTHING is happening before I leave), I plan on doing the same thing for this coming year. Again, the funds will be designated towards a 2020 trip to Disneyland. I found that having a goal in mind helps keep me on track as well.

What is the 52-week challenge? Did I miss something?

It’s a challenge to save a certain amount of money each week - $1=week 1, $2=week 2, etc. If you follow through with the challenge, at the end of the 52 weeks you should have saved $1378.

I did this last year, although slightly modified. I did the declining balance (52, 51, 50, etc.) until I hit the halfway point. Then I put in $26 per week for the second half of the year. It was designated for my Disney marathon weekend trip, which I am leaving for on Wednesday (woohoo!). I found it a fun way to gamify the saving process and kept me accountable for putting the money aside on a weekly basis.

Once I get back (absolutely NOTHING is happening before I leave), I plan on doing the same thing for this coming year. Again, the funds will be designated towards a 2020 trip to Disneyland. I found that having a goal in mind helps keep me on track as well.

I modify the challenge, too. I put all the amounts into a plastic container, and then each week one of my boys pulls an amount. I like it because amounts are varied - so not all low amounts at the beginning and not all high amounts at the end.

I am doing the challenge again this year. I found the ascending numbers didn’t work for me since at end of year saving the large amounts was a challenge.

So I plan to try it in reverse this year.

Good luck everyone!

I’m going to keep track of the amount I’ve saved here; it holds me accountable. :)

I pulled $6 week #1 and $11 week #2. My total is $17.78. (The 78 cents is interest I earned last year that I never withdrew).

I modify the challenge, too. I put all the amounts into a plastic container, and then each week one of my boys pulls an amount. I like it because amounts are varied - so not all low amounts at the beginning and not all high amounts at the end.
I LOVE this idea and think I will do the same.
We will do it every Sunday, so tomorrow I will do 2 to catch up.

FUN!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!