Life After Marathons: A Running/barre3/Coffee/Life Journal

Me: I had a crap run today, so I'm going to go to 5:15pm barre to at least end my day on a good note
Also Me: *Schedules a phone call for exactly when I'd have to leave for barre*

I'm gonna see if I can make it to the 6:30pm class, even though that means late dinner. On the plus side, I'll probably have a better view of the 9/11 tribute lights from down there (although I'm sure I can see them from my corner too).

EDIT: ... And apparently 6:30 is full and I just didn't notice :(. I don't really want to have to deal with the waitlist and then going down there to see if I get in. Sigh.

EDIT#2: I'm in! I put myself on the waitlist, then I checked again and I wasn't on the waitlist, but the class was available, so I booked it. Man, getting into barre classes is hard sometimes.

Last edited:
Quick Sunday Schedule/Food Thoughts

Originally I was planning to volunteer at the 18 mile training run on Sunday, then run my 2.25 hours (which would have given me an opportunity to test the idea of eating a meal before my run, which I never do, but I think I will have to do for the marathon). But between the fact that my volunteer shift was apparently scheduled to start at 5:30 (I could have sworn it was 6 or 6:30) and the fact that we're planning to go to the Mets game on Sunday night, I cancelled that.

However ... I still want to test eating before the run. Weather permitting, I'm thinking get up at 6, eat then (preferably be done by 6:30), then go out for my run around 8-8:30 (which would have me finishing around 10:30-11ish). If it's gonna be hot on Sunday, then I may have to move the timetable up an hour and get up at 5 (and then drink allllllllllll the coffee, which is not a bad thing necessarily).

I just have no idea what to eat. Any thoughts? No meat, no quinoa (I'm allergic), and preferably something that is easily portable, so that if it works out and I decide to do it for marathon day, I can take it to the race and eat in the start village.
I'm thinking maybe an omelet on a bagel? My first thought was overnight oatmeal, but that's not super portable because I'm very attached to my oatmeal container and will not be discarding it in the start village (I'm not checking a bag, so anything I bring to the start village gets tossed).

uncrustables. Very transportable and easy to get. If you have stuff to just make PB and J at home that works as well. You can use a bagel or bread. i like the uncrustable because it is packaged up and easy to get and eat anywhere.

Edited to add i like the whole wheat pb and honey version

I usually eat a bagel with peanut butter before a marathon, but when your race starts later than most races because of all the people... I might need a little more. I think your idea of a bagel and omelet sounds good.

uncrustables. Very transportable and easy to get. If you have stuff to just make PB and J at home that works as well. You can use a bagel or bread. i like the uncrustable because it is packaged up and easy to get and eat anywhere.

Edited to add i like the whole wheat pb and honey version

Good call! Uncrustables used to be my go-to post-race meal (ie I always stuffed one in my bag check bag), but I stopped buying them after the move because of the smaller freezer. It might be worth buying a box and finding a way to stuff them into the small freezer (taking them out of the box would probably be the first step).

I usually eat a bagel with peanut butter before a marathon, but when your race starts later than most races because of all the people... I might need a little more. I think your idea of a bagel and omelet sounds good.

I was thinking bagel and PB at first, but figured the omelet might be a more substantial meal. I'm still not planning to eat until a few hours before the race (probably once I get to the start village), but at that point I will have been up for a few hours and might be hangry.

I do not have bagels ... or an excessive amount of eggs (I think we have two) ... or Uncrustables ... or anything to eat for lunch today (yes, it's almost 2pm and I haven't eaten lunch yet) ... or any desire to go outside...
It's gonna be an interesting weekend.

Week In Review: September 9th - September 15th, 2019 - Week 2 of NYC Marathon Training

Monday:
  • Scheduled: barre3
  • Actual: barre3 with Jess
There was a period where I was feeling really strong in barre classes. That period is long over. At first I kinda saw it as a sign that I was gonna have a rough life week, but then I realized … class is class. I just had to do what I could and then worry about life after.
… and of course, when I checked my email after class, I had a not-great email waiting for me. Sigh.

Tuesday:
  • Scheduled: Run - 45 mins Easy
  • Actual: Run - 3.26 miles Easy/LR Intervals, 45:38 minutes, 13:59 min/mi avg pace
Call me crazy, but I just do not like running in the rain…

Wednesday:
  • Scheduled: 13 mins Easy + 35 mins @ M Tempo + 5.5 mins @ HM Temp + 6.5 mins Easy
  • Actual:
    • Run - 3.34 miles, 41:48 minutes, 12:11 min/mi avg pace
      • M Tempo: 2.51 miles, 28:48 minutes, 11:29 min/mi avg pace (Goal Pace: 11:38 min/mi)
      • HM Tempo: 0 miles, 0 minutes, 00:00 min/mi avg pace (Goal Pace: 11:09 min/mi)
    • Run - 0.75 miles, 12:03 minutes, 16:04 min/mi avg pace
    • Barre3 with Jenna #1
So … let’s start with the scheduled run. It started off okay, but as I got further into the M Tempo part of the run, I really started to struggle. I was just feeling crappy and in the back half of it I kept stopping to sit down and try to get my mojo back, but no dice. I finally just gave up. Stopped the workout, started a new run, and started heading home. Started off walking, but then transitioned into run/walk for a bit. And stepped in dog poop that was hidden under leaves. Which was very reflective of my run in general.

Since the run was so crappy and I wanted to do something good for myself, I decided to sign up for a barre3 class. I wasn’t entirely sure about my schedule, so I held off on registering for the 5:15pm class, then ended up having to miss it, but was able to get into the 6:30pm class with Jenna #1, who I haven’t taken in a few weeks. As bad as my crapfest of a run was, that’s how good this class was. Felt much better than I have in a lot of recent classes. This class really solidified my decision to focus on barre3 after the marathon. It’s my calm and the thing that can keep me going on a rough day. Maybe one day running will be that for me again, but right now, it’s not, and I want to focus on the thing that is.

Thursday:
  • Scheduled: 45 mins Easy
  • Actual: Run - 3.84 mi, 49:20 mins, 12:51 min/mi avg pace
So. Flippin. Humid. Wanted to do this one continuous, but the humidity really got to me, so I switched to run/walk intervals for the last 15-20 minutes.
I added a few minutes to the end of this one to try to make up for cutting Wednesday’s run short.

Friday:
  • Actual: barre3 with Katie!
So … as much as the general format of my barre classes is fairly consistent, each teacher puts their own spin on it, and I kinda felt like Katie’s class was more fast-paced than some of the other ones. Which was fine, I liked the class, it’s just different than what I’m used to. Definitely a good class, though.

Saturday:
  • Scheduled: Rest Day!
  • Actual: Rest Day
Sunday:
  • Scheduled: 2:15 hours Easy (Fuel Practice)
  • Actual: Run -10.39 miles, 2:15:04 hours, 13:00 min/mi avg pace
Pre-Run Nutrition: So, I woke up really concerned. One of the reasons why I started using gels pre-run is because it’s hard for me to get solid food down when I first wake up. So I decided to cut my bagel in half, and if I couldn’t get the first half down, then I just wouldn’t eat the second half. I ate slower than originally planned (didn’t finish until 6:40ish), but managed to get the whole sandwich down without choking, which felt like a win. I went out for my run around 7:45ish, which was definitely too soon after eating and I felt like I had to vomit for the first 20 minutes, but my stomach settled down, and I think this was a good pre-run meal, I just need to leave more time between the food and the run.

Original route plan was to run through the park over to the East Side and run across the 59th St bridge (which is part of the marathon course), but then I remembered that there’s a race going on today (yes, the one I was planning to volunteer at), so … I had to change that. I ended up just running down 5th Ave, across 59th to the bridge, across the bridge, and then back (although I did run north a bit on the east side to add some mileage).
Overall, this was a decently okay run. Nothing special, but nothing bad.

Baseball - Mets! Ending the season where we started it. Zack Wheeler pitched well, and then the bullpen blew it … which is par for the course for the Mets. I wanted to get the souvenir beer cup to celebrate my summer of baseball being old enough to order its own alcohol (this was game #21), but they didn’t have anything I like on tap near where I was sitting. Oh well.

Beth Update:
She’s getting new shoes! Going with the Guide ISO 2 (she’s currently in an old pair of Guide 9s, and she loves them). She has her POT 10K this weekend, which I’m a little nervous about (no, I’m not telling her that), but hopefully it’ll be all good. I have confidence in her, I just also have a lot of experience with unexpected things happening during races, so I can’t help being nervous. But she’ll do great.

Upcoming:
Monday - barre3
Tuesday - 30 mins Easy
Wednesday - 13 mins Easy + 35 mins @ M Tempo + 5.5 mins @ HM Temp + 6.5 mins Easy
Thursday - 30 mins easy
Friday - barre3
Saturday - Rest Day!
Sunday - 45 mins Easy, barre3?

I'm thinking about throwing in an extra barre3 class on Tuesday or Thursday (or both??), but also this is supposed to be a recovery week and maybe I shouldn't be adding more workouts, even if they're not running...

I was thinking this morning that I need brown sunglasses.

No, I don't have a sunglasses problem. You have a sunglasses problem.

So anyway ... drop links for your favorite brown sunglasses (or sunglasses that you wear with brown, since my "navy" sunglasses are actually just my clear/green knockarounds and have no navy, but also have no black so I wear them with navy).
They don't necessarily have to be running sunglasses, since I don't really have brown running stuff (they'd be more for everyday), but since the rest of my sunglasses are running sunglasses....

You should wear sunglasses. It's better for your eyes.

Probably. My wife's on the other end of the spectrum. She wears sunglasses all the time. But she has done it so much that she struggles seeing outside without sunglasses on unless it's night. It's pretty crazy how adjusted her eyes have become to them.

Week In Review: September 16th - September 22nd, 2019 - Week 3 of NYC Marathon Training

Monday:
  • Actual: barre3 with Bri
I was in Queens in the morning, so I did an afternoon class with Bri instead of my usual morning class with Jess. I haven’t taken Bri that often, so I wasn’t sure what to expect, but I really enjoyed the class (even though it was a little more intense than some of the other classes - Bri was definitely encouraging modifications and breaks if needed). Good class on a bad day.

Tuesday:
  • Scheduled: Run - 30 mins Easy
  • Actual: Run - 2.40 miles EC, 30:50 minutes, 12:51 min/mi avg pace
This was just a basic easy run. Nothing exciting about it, but nothing bad either.

Wednesday:
  • Scheduled: 13 mins Easy + 35 mins @ M Tempo + 5.5 mins @ HM Temp + 6.5 mins Easy
  • Actual:
    • Run - 5.13 miles, 1:02:33 hours, 12:12 min/mi avg pace
      • M Tempo: 3.09 miles, 35:00 minutes, 11:20 min/mi avg pace (Goal Pace: 11:38 min/mi)
      • HM Tempo: 0.52 miles, 5:30 minutes, 10:35 min/mi avg pace (Goal Pace: 11:09 min/mi)
The contrast between this and last week’s tempo crapfest is night and day. Last week I struggled for every step and had to take frequent breaks just to keep moving forward. This week the pace felt super comfortable (not easy, but not quite hard), and while I did take a few breaks to take a breath and cough (I’m dealing with a nasty sore throat), I never felt like I had to stop.
Also, “High Hopes” by Panic! At The Disco started playing just as I started my M Tempo pace, which was kinda perfect timing. It really helped me get my breathing onto the right pace.

I saw a ship at the cruise port and from afar it looked like the logo might have been the DCL logo (although it didn’t overall look like a Disney ship), and nothing on the internet could tell me what ship was supposed to be in port, so I kept running towards it to see if I could figure it out. As I got closer, it was clearly not the DCL logo, but my research did tell me that the Disney Magic is in port in NY on September 25th, so … next week I’m gonna either do a point-to-point or do a late turnaround and add some walking after my run so that I can be sure to run past the Disney ship (and maybe get some pictures???). Just gotta make sure I time it right.

Thursday:
  • Actual:
    • Run - 2.34 miles EC, 27:06 minutes, 11:35 min/mi avg pace
    • barre3 with Amanda
I wanted to do a “run partway to barre3” thing, but I woke up super tired, so I just went for an easy lap around the reservoir instead. I still wanted to do barre3, though, so I went to a class right before lunch, which ended up being a great break in the middle of my day.

Friday:
  • Actual: barre3 with Jenna #2!
Good class overall. I really like Jenna and I felt like this class was a great way to end my "work week."

Saturday:
Sunday:
  • Scheduled: 45 mins Easy, barre3
  • Actual:
    • Run - 3.38 miles Easy/LR Intervals, 45:27 minutes, 13:27 min/mi avg page
    • barre3 - None
Was planning on doing this as a run to 8:30am barre3, but Beth’s race started at 7:30 and I was expecting her to finish around 8:35-8:45ish, and I didn’t want to be in class when she finished. I figured I’d just go later in the day, but because of some errands and chores and whatnot, I just never made it to a class. Sigh.
The run itself was fine. Nothing exciting. Ran to where the new Target it gonna be to check out the space … I think it’s gonna be another mini one like the ones they have scattered around Manhattan. I’ll be fine with it once it opens, but I went to the big Target today, so at the moment I’m not feeling the little ones.

Beth Update:
Beth had her POT 10K today! Finished in a little over 1:18, so over the cutoff to submit as POT. I don’t know that there’s another race that she can do that fits into her schedule, so I think we’ll just end up starting out of the first non-POT corral. Lauren (the third member of our half party) also does not have a POT at the moment (she finished slower than Beth today), but she has at least one other race on her schedule.
Also … apparently they had grilled cheese post-race. Beth could not have any (mostly for kosher reasons), but Lauren got some. Beth got a bagel and butter and some Entenmann’s stuff. Fancier spread than any race I’ve been to.

Upcoming:
Monday - barre3
Tuesday - 45 mins Easy
Wednesday - 13 mins Easy + 35 mins @ M Tempo + 5.5 mins @ HM Temp + 6.5 mins Easy
Thursday - 45 mins easy
Friday - barre3
Saturday - Rest Day!
Sunday - 2.5 hours easy

I may be planning to do a “run to barre3” on Thursday. #sorrynotsorry. But according to my math, I’m at 97 classes (well, 98 since I'm posting this after Monday's class), so if I can squeeze in an extra class this week, then Friday will be my 100th class! Fitting in classes in October will be tough, so I want to get to the 100th class this week if I can.

Rangerstown 5K is November 17th.
On the one hand, that's good, because it's not a week after the marathon (also, my cousin's wedding is November 10th, but I don't know if we're going).
On the other hand ... that means no last minute crazy registering for RnR Vegas (it was a thought).

I'll register at some point when it's not 1am and my alarm isn't going off in 5 hours.

So ... more on this in the weekly recap, and I will be giving them one more try (90 min run next week), but it's really looking like the Launch may not be for me. The other shoe I tried at the running store and liked was the Saucony Freedom ISO, which runs about the same price as my marathon shoe (Brooks Levitate 2).
If I decide not to stick with the Launch, should I try the Freedom? Or just go with another pair of the Levitates? I like the Levitates, they're just a little heavy and not cheap.

(Definitely wearing my current pair of Levitates for the NYC marathon ... the new shoes would be for the princess half and anything after that)

Week In Review: September 23rd - September 29th, 2019 - Week 4 of NYC Marathon Training

Monday:
  • Actual: barre3 with Jess
Good class, but my back was bothering me a little, so I had to take a few things easy. That’s just the way it goes sometimes.

Tuesday:
  • Scheduled: Run - 45 mins Easy
  • Actual: Run - 3.51 miles EC, 45:15 minutes, 12:53 min/mi
Struggled with this more than I should have. Nothing was wrong, I just hadn’t slept well the night before and was not feeling it.

Wednesday:
  • Actual:
    • Run - 5.38 miles, 1:04:07 hours, 11:55 min/mi avg pace
      • M Tempo: 3.15 miles, 35:00 minutes, 11:07 min/mi avg pace (Goal Pace: 11:38 min/mi)
      • HM Tempo: 0.52 miles, 5:30 minutes, 10:35 min/mi avg pace (Goal Pace: 11:09 min/mi)
This was my “Run to the Magic” - I ran towards the cruise terminal, because the Disney Magic was in port. At one point I got confused because I saw a different ship and I was worried that maybe I missed the Magic (I had seen it earlier from further away) … but it turns out there’s room for two ships at the cruise terminal, and the Sapphire Princess was in port too. But I got to see the Magic and it was wonderful and it made me smile. Yay DCL!
Good tempo paces too, and they felt good. So overall a great run.

20190925_074020.jpg

Baseball - Game #22 of the summer! Went to the Mets game with some friends. Good group of people, good game, but this was the night the Mets were eliminated from playoff contention, so that was a little sad. Also, people who are buttholes about other people’s teams frustrate me. I respect everyone’s right to root for whatever team they want and I’m not a jerk about it. More people should be like that. </rant>
Also, I got the souvenir beer cup that I didn’t get at game #21.

20190925_194739.jpg

Thursday:
  • Actual:
    • Run - 3.51 miles Easy/LR, 47:56 minutes, 13:39 min/mi avg pace
    • barre3 with Kelly
Planned this as a “run to barre3”, but I got a late start and was running slower than usual, so I hopped on a train at 23rd. Not my best performance in class ever, but I did okay (especially considering the late night the night before and the run), and I enjoyed it. Kelly’s classes are really challenging but also really enjoyable. Glad I went, even if I felt like death after (in the best possible way).
After I got out of class, I found this in my email:

b3100.png
So that was cool. 99 classes!

Also, I had to order a new water bottle for my running belt. More info under the spoiler tag, but it’s a little gross, so feel free to skip.
So, I was putting away dishes, and I saw what looked like a black dot on the inside wall of my water bottle (which was had been out drying off), so I went to wash it out … and found a cockroach inside. Clearly the black dot was its poop. I disposed of the cockroach (which was horrifying and scary and I was shaking the whole time), and I washed out and soaked my water bottle, but then I decided that I don’t know how long it had been in there or if the poop seeped into the walls of the water bottle or anything … so I just bought a set of replacement bottles.
Not money I wanted to spend at the moment, but better than possibly accidentally ingesting cockroach poop.
Also, eating lunch after that encounter was very difficult.

Friday:
  • Actual: barre3 with Jenna #2
My 100th class!!! It was a really good class, but I was a little surprised by the lack of fanfare when I told them it was my 100th class. Also, I was supposed to get a gift, but it was out of stock, so I’ll have to get it next time I go in.
But yeah, really good class and I felt pretty strong throughout.

Saturday:
Race Update:
The Yankees announced their first ever 5K and fun run - Yankees Sprint to Spring 5K & Fun Run.
It’s on February 16th in Tampa. That’s 4 days before I was planning to fly down to Florida for Princess Weekend.
I want to make it happen, but … not likely. Ideal situation would be some sort of conference in Tampa the 17th-19th, and then I’d just come in a little early for the Yankees race and stay later for Princess. Not likely … but I’m holding out hope.

Sunday:
  • Scheduled: 2.5 hours easy
  • Actual: Run - 11.43 miles, 2:32:49 hours, 13:22 min/mi avg pace
I was on a time crunch, so the plan was an easy out and back along the river. But then I got near 34th street and thought “should I run on the high line?” I “flipped a coin” (aka asked my google assistant to flip a coin) and the coin flip said High Line, so … I ran on the High Line. Figured I’d go to the end and run back on the path, then decided to go out and back on the High Line …anyway, that thing is long, y’all. I kept waiting for it to end, and it didn’t. Not sure I want to do that again (it was pretty and the changes surfaces didn’t bother me as much as last time, but … so friggin long).

20190929_075523.jpg

Also … had some knee pain and some ankle pain, which may or may not have been shoe-related. Sigh.

Also ... today I saw 3 ships in the cruise terminal. I wonder if it has room for 4...

Shoe Update:
This was my 3rd run in the Brooks Launch 6 (aka Mean Tink). Here's how they've gone so far:
  1. 3.5 miles, all good
  2. 8.6 miles, first run longer than 10K in about 3 months, some ankle pain late in the run
  3. 11.4 miles, knee pain throughout, some ankle pain late in the run
Could be a crazy set of coincidences (the knee pain started early enough that I'm hesitant to connect it to the shoes), could be that these shoes are not for me. I'm really not sure. I'll give them one more shot, mostly because I don't want to put that many more miles on Pink Explosions (my marathon shoes) before November, but I think these may have to go back, and if they do, I'm not sure what I'll replace them with yet. I'm leaning towards finding another pair of my marathon shoes on sale, but the Saucony Freedom ISO is also an option.

Upcoming:
Monday - Rest Day
Tuesday - Rest Day
Wednesday - Rest Day
Thursday - 13 mins Easy + 35 mins @ M Tempo + 5.5 mins @ HM Temp + 6.5 mins Easy
Friday - 30 mins easy
Saturday - Rest Day!
Sunday - 90 mins easy

And the high holiday season officially begins!
I may swap Thursday and Friday’s runs and do a barre class on Thursday (I won’t have time Friday, since Friday + I have a 10am call). We'll see.

Yay for 100 classes!! I remember when you tried it for the first time.... time flies!

I know, right? It feels like just yesterday that I took that first class and almost passed out. It's been a fun journey.

So cool to run by the Magic!

I was so excited when I found out it was going to be in port - definitely added something special to my run!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter