Life After Marathons: A Running/barre3/Coffee/Life Journal

I tried to sign up for more virtual races, but NYRR thwarted me. It says I have nothing in my cart, even though the races show up in my cart. Sigh. Oh well. Less virtual racing for me.

Also ... as of right now, I'm saying no to the sunglasses. I love them and they're super cute, but I don't need to be spending that money.

Will ask Beth this weekend about shoe colors, and hopefully I'll pick out a color and buy the shoes next week.

Week In Review: August 12th - August 18th, 2019

Monday:
Scheduled: Run - 2.5 miles Easy, barre3
Actual:
Run - 2.36 miles, 30:09 minutes, 12:46 min/mi avg pace
barre3 with Jess!

I got my timing wrong and I decided to cut the run a drop short to get to barre3 on time. And then waited 5 minutes for a train. So really, I could have finished the run. Also, I was probably going a drop too fast because of that whole not wanting to be late for barre thing.

Baseball - Brooklyn Cyclones. My goal for this summer was 15 games. This was game #15! It’s been a crazy, whirlwind baseball summer, but it’s been a lot of fun and I hope we can do this again next year.

Life Rant:
I try not to angry post, but this is just something I need to say. I wish people didn’t crap on things just because they don’t like them. If someone brings up something you don’t like, feel free to express that, but remember that that’s just your view of it. No need to put down the person who brought it up or the thing they brought up. There’s no reason to say “X is garbage” or “how could anyone like X” when “I don’t like X” would suffice.
I do this too, and I am trying to be better about it. I wish I saw other people trying to be better about it too. I think life would be better if we could all accept that other people love the things we hate, and that’s okay.

Tuesday:
Scheduled: Run - 6 miles Easy
Actual: Run - 6.47 miles, 1:25:34 minutes, 13:13 min/mi

Brooks is doing something called “Best Fest”, where they’re encouraging runners to run their personal best something. There are a bunch of challenges. They also have Strava segments in a few cities, and if you run the segment, you get a reward. The NY segment is far from me but on the path I normally run (I’ll run this segment again in marathon training, but likely not before that), so I did a point-to-point and took the subway home post-run. Got rained on a bit. Not a fan. But the segment was nice, and I took some cool pictures, including this one:
wtc holland tunnel.jpg

Wednesday:
Scheduled: Run - 2.5 miles Easy, barre3
Actual: Run - 2.67 miles, 35:36 minutes, 13:20 min/mi avg pace
barre3 - skipped

I went to barre class, I changed … and then I started to feel sick. So I left. Changed back into my street clothes, got something to eat, and felt much better once I had food in me. A little sad that I missed class (especially because I haven’t taken this instructor in a little while), but whatever.

Also, went to the running store today to pick up my Best Fest swag.
Screenshot_20190818-230830_Video Player.jpg

I had a choice of medal or mug, but since I don’t really use mugs, I went medal. Kinda regretting it, but also kinda thinking about eventually getting a medal holder… (especially because the Command hook that was holding all of my medals fell down...)

Thursday:
Scheduled: Run - R Pace - 1 mi @ WU + (2x200m @ R w/ 200m RI) + (3x300m @ R w/ 300m RI) + (2x200m @ R w/ 200m RI) + 1 mi @ CD
Actual: Run - R Pace - Totals: 4.23 miles, 54.48 minutes, 12:58 min/mi avg pace
R Pace - 200m: 67s, 67s; 300m: 114s, 119s, 114s; 200m: 61s, 60s

I didn’t do this on the track, and apparently I measured wrong and my 200m lap was actually less than 200m. Oops? At least I did the same lap every time (although it looks like it measured differently in the splits, but I know I was mostly running the same thing), so while the number itself is off, I can compare the intervals. I felt like I started fading in the second 300m interval, and while that was the slowest of the 300m, it wasn’t that much slower, so … interesting. I’d call this mildly consistent.

Friday:
Scheduled: Run - 2.5 mi Easy with Beth
Actual: barre3 with Ashley

I was supposed to go down to Philly on Thursday and run with Beth on Friday, but I ended up not going down until Friday, and we discussed running Sunday, so I decided to skip Friday’s run and do barre3 instead, especially because I had to miss Wednesday’s class.

Saturday:
Scheduled: Rest Day!
Actual: Rest Day

Sunday:
Scheduled: Rest Day

Beth and I discussed running, but neither of us were feeling up to it in the morning. So no 5 run week for me.

Baseball - Phillies! My first time at Citizens Bank Park. It's a nice stadium, but I don't think it handles crowds well, and I was feeling very claustrophobic. Not my favorite baseball experience.
Also ... the Mickey Mouse statue is gone. One year it just disappeared. Nobody knows where it went.

Upcoming:
Monday - 3.3 mi Easy
Tuesday - barre3
Wednesday - R Pace - 1 mi @ WU + (1x200m @ R w/ 200m RI) + (4x300m @ R w/ 300m RI) + (1x200m @ R w/ 200m RI) + 1 mi @ CD
Thursday - barre3
Friday - 3.3 mi Easy
Saturday - Rest Day!
Sunday - Rest Day!

Baseball - Phillies! My first time at Citizens Bank Park. It's a nice stadium, but I don't think it handles crowds well, and I was feeling very claustrophobic. Not my favorite baseball experience.
Also ... the Mickey Mouse statue is gone. One year it just disappeared. Nobody knows where it went.

Upcoming:
Monday - 3.3 mi Easy
Tuesday - barre3
Wednesday - R Pace - 1 mi @ WU + (1x200m @ R w/ 200m RI) + (4x300m @ R w/ 300m RI) + (1x200m @ R w/ 200m RI) + 1 mi @ CD
Thursday - barre3
Friday - 3.3 mi Easy
Saturday - Rest Day!
Sunday - Rest Day!
How odd! It isn’t like someone could slyly pocket it to add to a backyard shrine.

How odd! It isn’t like someone could slyly pocket it to add to a backyard shrine.

I assume the team took it away, but the staff seemed to not know why (or so my dad says, since he's the one who asked, since I had to cut my walk short because he didn't remember when they were doing the birthday announcements and didn't want me to miss it).

Although maybe there is a Phillies Mickey Mouse just hanging out in someone's backyard...

Now I’m picturing a fan pushing a stroller out of the stadium on a cold night with the Mickey bundled up in it as their “kid”. Which, given that this is Philly....not out of the realm of possibility.

Well that would certainly explain why guest services didn't know what happened to the statue...

Week In Review: August 19th - August 25th, 2019

Monday:
Scheduled: Run - 3.3 miles Easy
Actual:
Run - 3.36 miles Easy/LR Intervals, 46:33 minutes, 13:52 min/mi avg pace
I felt like crap, I didn’t want to do this run, it sucked … I’m officially counting down the days until November 4th when I can STOP TRAINING!!!! I’m 99% sure I’m not going to do formal training for Princess and I’ll just wing it like I did over the summer, try to get in an 8-10 miler, and then run easy on race day.

Race Update:
I decided to do the NB Fifth Avenue Mile … but my heat is sold out (the heats are divided by age group). Grr. What is with everything selling out super early this year??
I think I want to do another race before the marathon, but all of my pre-marathon options are sold out. So … gotta do more research.
I did register for the $25 virtual race 5K series (or as I like to call it … adult participation medal), but that doesn’t really count. That’s just me making questionable life decisions.

Medal Update:
When I got home from Philly last night, I noticed that my medals had all fallen down. So I’m thinking about getting a medal holder. Now I just have to decide how much I’m willing to pay and what medal holder I want to get. Raw Threads has some pretty ones that I like, but they’re $60, and I’m not here for that.

Tuesday:
Scheduled: barre3
Actual: barre3 with Jenna

Really good class! It wasn’t easy, but I felt strong throughout. If I hadn’t had errands to run, I might have stayed for a second class (when I was stretching after class Jenna asked if I wanted to, since apparently the next class was not very full … I said I didn’t have time).

Wednesday:
Scheduled: R Pace - 1 mi @ WU + (1x200m @ R w/ 200m RI) + (4x300m @ R w/ 300m RI) + (1x200m @ R w/ 200m RI) + 1 mi @ CD
Actual: Run - 4.11 miles, 54:21 minutes, 13:13 min/mi avg pace
R Pace - 67s (200m); 111s, 117s, 116s (300m); 64s (200m)

Sigh. With it being hot and humid when I woke up, I considered doing an easy run instead of R pace, but then decided to do this. Wrong decision. The weather really zapped me. Ugh.
At least it’s over.
200m intervals are a drop fast and 300m intervals are a drop slow, which means that either 300m is too tough of a distance for me mentally or I measured wrong.

Baseball - New York-Penn League (Short Season A) All-Star Game at Staten Island! Bernie Williams was inducted into the NY Penn League Hall of Fame, so he was there, which was cool. The game started late due to rain and was just a very slow game, so we left during the 7th inning stretch (10:30ish).
Tried the SI Yankees beer (“Pizza Rat Pilsner” (named after an alternate name that they use), made by Flagship Brewing Company) but was not impressed.
All’s well that ends well … got a picture with my favorite mascot, Scooter the Holy Cow:
20190821_220634.jpg

Marathon Interlude:
I realized that I have to eat something before the marathon, and I have to figure out what, since I normally run first thing in the morning and don’t eat a meal before my run. But since I won't be starting before 11 (probably closer to 11:30) and likely won’t finish until 5ish, I can’t wait until that late to eat my first meal of the day (even though I’ll be fueling during the run). Gotta think about this.

Thursday:
Scheduled: barre3
Actual: barre3 with Amanda!

Was originally signed up for an 8:30am class, but after a late night and getting home tired, I decided to do a 12:15pm instead. Definitely the right choice, because this class was exactly what I needed today. I felt strong throughout, felt like I was challenging myself, and came out feeling super accomplished!
Also, there was a point in the class where I’m pretty sure Amanda read my mind. While every class is different, they all follow the same general structure, and after we finish combo work with weights, there’s usually one last cardio burst before we move on to core work. There are a lot of different options that the instructors use for the cardio burst, but today I was kinda in the mood for something called barre3 burpees (it’s basically a burpee broken down into pieces). And, lo and behold, we put down the weights and went into barre3 burpees. Clearly Amanda read my mind (although she said she didn’t know she was reading my mind when I mentioned this after class).

Friday:
Scheduled: Run - 3.3 mi Easy
Actual: 3.32 mi EC, 43:35 minutes, 13:08 min/mi avg pace

This run was unexceptional.
Then like 4 hours later I remembered that this was supposed to be my NYRR Virtual World Championship 5K. Oops. It was my last chance to do it (unless I wanted to do an unplanned 5K on Sunday, which I didn’t, since next week is another 5 run week), so I just changed it to a race on Strava. My official time was very slow (47:52) because stop lights and breaks to change my music and whatnot.

Saturday:
Scheduled: Rest Day!

Someone in my facebook running group posted a meme that was 100% accurate for my life.
FB_IMG_1566702296931.jpg
...although the medal doesn't help me that much with the friends thing.

Sunday:
Scheduled: Rest Day

Thought about doing a barre3 online class in the morning, but decided to sleep in instead.

Baseball - Lehigh Valley IronPigs (Phillies AAA affiliate). They were playing the Scranton Wilkes-Barre Railriders, the Yankees AAA affiliate (or as I call them, the Teenage Yankees), so we wore Yankees hats and sat on the visitors side. The giveaway was - I kid you not - a jar of air. I got nothing to say about that. Luke Voit (Yankees first baseman) was rehabbing, so I basically just took a million pictures of him because he’s awesome and I love seeing rehabbing major leaguers. Teenage Yankees lost, though :(.

20190825_133630.jpg
IMG_2113.JPG
LUUUUUUUUUUUUUUKE!

Upcoming:
Monday - 2.5 miles Easy, barre3
Tuesday - 3.3 miles Easy
Wednesday - 6 miles Easy
Thursday - 2.5 miles Easy, barre3
Friday - R Pace - 1 mi @ WU + 5x300m @ R w/ 300m RI + 1 mi @ CD
Saturday - Rest Day!
Sunday - Rest Day!

Last week of this plan, and it’s a peak week! Will have to chat with coach about the marathon plan and get that set up.

Was planning to test out the Launch 6 on Tuesday’s 3.3 miler, but FedEx is stupid and now they’re not expected to show up until Tuesday, so I have to decide if I want to be aggressive with them and start them at a 6 miler or wait a day and do the much shorter 2.5 miles, which likely won’t tell me anything about them (ultimately I need a 10 miler to know if they work, but I’m not getting to that for a little bit). EDIT: And now they're supposed to show up Monday again. We'll see what happens. Oh FedEx...

Last edited:
Now I just have to decide how much I’m willing to pay and what medal holder I want to get. Raw Threads has some pretty ones that I like, but they’re $60, and I’m not here for that.

I use curtain rods for my medals because I am super cheap and they still look decent. Another place you could check is Etsy, I have bought one for a friend from there and it wasn't that expensive and good quality.

I use curtain rods for my medals because I am super cheap and they still look decent. Another place you could check is Etsy, I have bought one for a friend from there and it wasn't that expensive and good quality.

Not sure how I feel about curtain rods, but ... Etsy is a good place to look. Thanks for the idea!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!