Life After Marathons: A Running/barre3/Coffee/Life Journal

I've been fortunate enough to not fall while running, but I have come close once or twice.

Now when I lived in Moscow, Russia for 2 years during a church mission, I found myself slipping on the ice during the winters more than a few times just from walking.

I took a hard fall running about 2 years ago and have a permanent reminder-scar on my knee now. I always think about it when I run in the spot too...
Just chalk it up to another running memory!
Yikes. I don't think I'm going to have any permanent reminders of this one ... just another running memory :).

Nice coffee choice- can never go wrong with vanilla.
Very true.

If you choose to do this one, I will buy the shorts off of you!
Hmm. If I decide to register, we will talk.
(I mean, the shorts are free, so I wouldn't sell them to you, I'd just send them to you for free)

Also, super proud of you for getting up after falling! I took a really bad spill during a runDisney 10k years ago and yeah, that fear is still real today. Falling sucks, but not letting it control you is awesome!
Thank you! Last time I fell it was very hard for me to keep going, so I'm super proud of myself for getting up and going almost right away!

I have not fallen while running, but have tripped a number of times. Glad to hear you were able to shake it off and keep going. And Starbucks is always a nice reward. I had a few lattes this week as I was traveling for work and they paid for them. Only thing better than a latte is a free one.
I've tripped a few times too. That is not a fun feeling.
Work-paid lattes are awesome. Glad you got to enjoy some!

I've been fortunate enough to not fall while running, but I have come close once or twice.
I've had my close calls too - never fun.

Now when I lived in Moscow, Russia for 2 years during a church mission, I found myself slipping on the ice during the winters more than a few times just from walking.
Walking on ice can definitely be tough. I have at least one almost-fall every winter ... and I'm guessing Moscow has even more ice than NYC because it's colder there.

I was out for a run this evening and I tripped over an uneven sidewalk. Caught myself and rebalanced before falling, but this conversation came immediately to mind.

I was out for a run this evening and I tripped over an uneven sidewalk. Caught myself and rebalanced before falling, but this conversation came immediately to mind.

Well that's an unhappy coincidence. I'm glad you were able to rebalance and avoid the fall!

Week In Review: July 8th - July 14th, 2019

Monday:
Run - 3.57 miles, 44:10 minutes, 12:22 min/mi pace.
Nope. Started on the streets, wasn’t feeling it, so I went into the park. Wasn’t feeling that, so I went back on the streets. Then back to the park. Just a bad run overall. (Although really, the pace was fine, it just felt crappy)

Tuesday:
barre3 - With Jenna #1! Good class, but I was a little dehydrated, which threw me off a bit.
Debated this barre class, because they’re doing work in my hallway and I thought when I got back from class they’d probably be painting the ceiling right in front of my apartment, but decided to not let the construction change my schedule. Ended up going from barre to a co-working space for a few hours (and sat outside on their patio for a little bit, which was awesome), then came back while the workers were on lunch break, so I didn’t get in their way at all.

Wednesday:
Run - 4.09 miles, 51:50 minutes, 12:40 min/mi pace.
Tempo: 3 minutes @ 1 mi Pace - 0.34 miles, 3:00 minutes, 8:53 min/mi. Goal pace for these intervals is 8:30-8:45ish, so considering the weather, this was great. Overall this was actually a pretty good run, which made me happy.

Baseball - We made the super last minute decision to go to a game. One of the independent leagues was having their All-Star Game (where they played a different league) up in Rockland. It was my first All-Star Game (my dad’s second) and it’s a lot harder to score than a regular game (I ran out of room for pitchers, which only occasionally happens during regular games). I enjoyed, and the firework afterwards were nice, but I didn’t get home until midnight. This is game #9 for me for the season (#11 for my dad, I think).

Thursday:
barre3 - with Kelly! I actually managed to be mostly awake for class (despite the minimal sleep), but there were some almost napping close calls there. Good class, but my goal was to commit to the same option for both planks (Kelly always does two in class), and I couldn’t do it. Oh well. Next time.

Slurpee - The Slurpee machine at the 7-Eleven near me was broken, so I had to go to a different one. Sigh. At least I got my slurpee.

Friday:
Run - 5.63 miles, 1:17:25 hours, 13:45 min/mi pace.
I think the GPS was a bit off on this. Sigh. Stopped off at the RUNCENTER to refill my water bottle. Nothing else exciting about this.

Saturday:
Rest Day!

Sunday:
Rest Day!

Baseball - Pawtucket Red Sox (Triple-A Red Sox affiliate). There was a guy sitting near us wearing a shirt that said “I root for two teams, the Red Sox and whoever beats the Yankees.” I felt attacked. Definitely felt like I was in enemy territory. Decent stadium and good game, and the PawSox lost! This was also my double-digit game of the summer - 10 games officially in the books!
Btw … it was cap day and there exists a picture of my wearing a PawSox cap, but it’s on my dad’s phone, so it’s not getting posted.

Shoe Update:
Technically this should go in next week’s update, but I wanted to post it here before I forget. Went to the running store to try (but not buy) shoes. As I mentioned previously, the Brooks Ghost and Saucony Ride ISO2 were on my list. I tried both, but neither one felt right (although the Ride was a little better) … and in my conversation with the salesperson, I realized that it was because I’m used to a more responsive shoe, whereas those two are more cushioned. I had never really discussed responsiveness vs. cushion with the salespeople before, and it made some sense to me that if I’m used to more responsive shoes (which the Zante, 880, and Levitate all are), I would feel more normal in a responsive shoe.

We tried a few more things (including the newer 880 model), and I narrowed it down to two shoes:
Brooks Launch 6 and Saucony Freedom ISO 2.
The Launch felt more responsive (aka more like what I’m comfortable with), but the actual structure of the Freedom felt more comfortable. So I really wasn’t sure.

After walking out of the store, I googled both shoes. The Freedom ISO 2 is $160. The Launch is $100. That’s a big price difference for shoes that one wasn’t a clear winner over the other.

Right now it looks like I’m going to end up n the Launch, but I may try a few other shoes. I may start by buying the Launch direct from Brooks (because 90-day returns + I have a 25% off code), and then if that doesn’t work, go into the store and try something else.

They won't be the PawSox for much longer. I actually prefer the name PawSox over WooSox.

That's one of the reasons we really wanted to get there - have to see the stadium before they move (although we still have another year).
And I'm also not a big fan of the name WooSox (WorSox?). PawSox sounds better.

Brooks Launch are my go-to shoes! I've had them since the 3 and haven't found anything else that work better for me. I hope they work for you if you get them!

Brooks Launch are my go-to shoes! I've had them since the 3 and haven't found anything else that work better for me. I hope they work for you if you get them!
I told the salesperson that I know a few people who wear them ... you were one of the people I was thinking of.
Thanks!

What? They are changing the name? Just no. WooSox or WorSox is just dumb.

They're moving to Worcester starting with the 2021 season.

What? They are changing the name? Just no. WooSox or WorSox is just dumb.

Yeah they are going to be the WooSox when they move. The new stadium is going to be Polar Stadium. They recently started the construction. My office is actually a five minute drive from where they plan to build. I think the PawSox were cuter, but Worcester really wanted the team as they are doing a whole revitalization of the downtown area and felt like the team would bring in new business.

Yeah they are going to be the WooSox when they move. The new stadium is going to be Polar Stadium. They recently started the construction. My office is actually a five minute drive from where they plan to build. I think the PawSox were cuter, but Worcester really wanted the team as they are doing a whole revitalization of the downtown area and felt like the team would bring in new business.

I knew they were moving, but didn’t know the name was changed. Its going in by Kelly Square, right? I saw that mess of an intersection was getting some changes too. I miss driving by the Polar Bear on 290 LOL!!!

I knew they were moving, but didn’t know the name was changed. Its going in by Kelly Square, right? I saw that mess of an intersection was getting some changes too. I miss driving by the Polar Bear on 290 LOL!!!

Yep it will be in Kelley Square. They are completely reworking the whole area including the on and off ramp for 290. That is one good thing coming out of this construction. Although learning to drive through Kelley Square was a right of passage as a teenager. The Polar Bear is still there and doesn't really get stolen anymore unlike when I was a kid.

Wow, I'm learning so much about Worcester from this conversation. I think I've been there all of once in my life ... my bus stopped to pick up some kids on our way to a weekend retreat. I think we stopped in the parking lot of a mall or shopping center or possibly a movie theater. I really know nothing about Worcester.

Now if y'all want to talk about Newton Centre ... I'll grab some J.P. Licks and have a chat.
... And now I want J.P. Licks. Anyone know where the nearest one to NYC is?

So we actually just got a J.P. Licks in my town. I have not been there, but the overall opinion seems to be that they are pricey - and that is saying something since I live in an expensive town close to Boston.

So we actually just got a J.P. Licks in my town. I have not been there, but the overall opinion seems to be that they are pricey - and that is saying something since I live in an expensive town close to Boston.

So ... I haven't been since I was about 15, when I wasn't always as conscious of ice cream prices as I should have been, so I don't know if it's pricey, but it's very possible.
Good ice cream, though. Excellent for eating on the walk home from the T after school.

I think we all know what this means ...

New plan starts on Monday. It's the pre-marathon plan plan.
Also, my first time doing R Pace ... it's gonna be interesting. I'm going to check out the local track and hopefully not get super dizzy running all the laps.
Fun Fact: When my dad used to coach track at a private school in Manhattan, they practiced at this track!

More on this next week.

Week In Review: July 15th - July 21st, 2019

Monday:
barre3 - with Jess! Decently good class … not my best, but not terrible.
Baseball - Yankees! Was a good game, but then Chapman blew it in the 9th. Sigh. I only partially blame him - most of the blame goes to the guys sitting in front of me who got up and put their backpacks on before the game was over. Way to jinx it, morons.

Tuesday:
Run - 6.30 miles, 1:20:04 hours, 12:43 min/mi avg pace
I already talked about the fall, so I’ll skip that, but one thing I didn’t mention is that I had pretty bad arm and elbow pain the rest of the day. I wanted to pull my hair back while eating lunch so that it didn’t get in my food, and bending my arm like that was too painful. I was really worried that I had fractured or dislocated something, and I wanted to avoid the doctor because of some stupid ridiculous stuff with my health insurance (although had it gotten worse I would have gone to urgent care and paid out of pocket), so I had a pretty scary day. Thankfully, it got better over the course of the day, but was still hurting.

Life Update:
Went to the running store. More on that in last week’s update.

Wednesday:
Run - 3.05 miles, 38:28 minutes, 12:37 min/mi avg pace
Arm was feeling a little better, but still not 100%. Was able to put my hair up with no problems.

Thursday:
Unscheduled rest day.
Wasn’t sure about going to barre because of my arm. Decided to try to do an online class at home, but I just couldn’t get into it, so I took the rest day.

Baseball - Doubleheader! Had tickets to this game because it was David Cone Bobblehead Night, but then they cancelled Wednesday night’s game (because of rain) and changed this to a doubleheader and gave away the bobbleheads before the first game … so we were at the stadium at 2pm. Then there was an unnecessary rain delay, and the game (scheduled for 3) finally started at 4:26. We stayed for the whole first game and the first 4 innings of the second game before calling it a night. Would have liked to stay at least until it was an official game, but we'd been at the stadium for 7+ hours and we were kinda done.

Friday:
Run - 4.81 miles, 1:0415 hours, 13:21 min/mi
This is crazy, but I think I’m starting to get used to running in the heat. Mostly I’ve been on the path near the river, so the breeze makes it easier, but I don’t feel like death every second, which is refreshing.

Saturday:
Rest Day!

Sunday:
Rest Day!

Upcoming:
That’s right, I know what’s coming this week, because it’s my first week on my new @DopeyBadger pre-marathon training plan. Woo hoo!
Monday - 3.3 miles Easy, Codeland Conference
Tuesday - barre3, Trenton Thunder
Wednesday - R Pace - 1.5 mi WU + 6 x 200m @ R w/ 200m RI + 1 mi @ CD
Thursday - barre3
Friday - 3.3 mi Easy
Saturday - Rest Day!
Sunday - barre3 or Rest Day

I have a conference on Monday, so I’m hoping I can get up early enough to get the run in. Plan is to scope out the path to the track where I will be doing Wednesday’s R Pace run. That one’s going to be interesting because I don’t do repeated segments or running in circles. So … we’ll see how that goes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter