Life After Marathons: A Running/barre3/Coffee/Life Journal

My only comment, if the 880s are causing you problems, retire them now. They have a lot of miles and seem to bother you. I would retire them. Can't help you on what to get next as that is personal preference.

I am so bad at shoe choices, but am interested to see what you pick! I just started running in my 6th or 7th pair of asics, so im a creature of habit :)

Hope you are having a great week!

My only comment, if the 880s are causing you problems, retire them now. They have a lot of miles and seem to bother you. I would retire them. Can't help you on what to get next as that is personal preference.

So ... they only bother me at longer distances. At first they started bothering me over 10 miles, now it's more like 7-8 miles. But so far no problems if I run less than 7 miles in them (I ran 4 in them yesterday and they felt great), so I'm not sure if I need to retire them quite yet. But thanks for the input - you make an excellent point. I should not run in shoes that bother me.

I am so bad at shoe choices, but am interested to see what you pick! I just started running in my 6th or 7th pair of asics, so im a creature of habit :)

I used to love Asics, but then I ran in something else for a little bit, and last time I tried Asics, they were too narrow for me. So either my feet grew or Asics started making their shoes narrower.
Which is sad, because Asics are awesome.

Hope you are having a great week!

Thanks! I've got my next runDisney registration taken care of, so it's a good week so far :). I hope you're having a good week too!

Oh! I must have missed this?? Which race?

It was a small hidden easter egg in the shoe update:
Ideally, whatever shoes I get to replace the 880s will be my shoes for the Princess Half (which is currently scheduled as my next half).

Beth and I (plus one of Beth's friends) are doing the Princess 5K and Half, and Beth's friend's boyfriend is joining us for the 5K. It will be Beth's first half and we're very excited!

It was a small hidden easter egg in the shoe update:

Beth and I (plus one of Beth's friends) are doing the Princess 5K and Half, and Beth's friend's boyfriend is joining us for the 5K. It will be Beth's first half and we're very excited!

Ahh that will be so fun!! Big race for Beth- very exciting!

Short Version: Did not hit my goal, but ran ALL of Harlem Hill, so this was definitely a win. I don't think I've ever done that before. Super proud of myself for that one.
Also ... kinda feel like maybe doing another run today. We'll see if I'm still feeling that later and/or if I have time. I have a busy day ahead of me.

More later.

I Could Have Slept Longer: NYRR 1 For You 1 For Youth Race Recap

Pre-Race:
7am is early for a race. But I live pretty close to the start, so I figured leaving at 6:15 would give me plenty of time to get to the race. I figured I'd wake up about an hour before that - so the alarm was set for 5:15am.

I got up when the alarm went off, made some coffee, took a picture of Flat Sarah, had some coffee, got dressed ... and was ready early. So I could have slept another 15 minutes.

Flat Sarah, with commentary:
48009372762_9137b31bb3_b.jpg

6:15 came, and I left the apartment. Decided to take the elevator down, which I rarely do, to save my legs in case I decided to push it during the race. I started walking to the race, with the plan to start a light warm up jog once my GPS found a signal. I started jogging ... and wasn't feeling it. So I walked into the park, and there were already volunteers waiting at 90th and West Drive (which is where I enter the park). A light drizzle started, and I decided I'd rather be running than walking, so attempted the warm up jog again. Stopped to take a picture of the finish line, since I passed it on my way to the start:
48009251702_b3801e1ab4_k.jpg

I kept going, following the people, and eventually made it to the start area. It was a little before 6:30. Which meant plenty of time to kill before the race. I could have showed up 15 minutes later.

Basically ... I could have slept until 5:45. Sigh.

Anyway, there was a picture station, so I took a stupid picture:
48009251547_9a6621e09a_k.jpg

I also took a picture of the start line:
48009251427_128a54f4f3_k.jpg

... And that's all the pictures we have for this recap.

Race:
Unlike most of the NYRR races I've done, this was a small one (~2,000 vs. ~8,000-~25,000), and I actually started shortly after the race started. Plan was to be at about 11:30-12 for mile 1, 11-11:30 for mile 2 (probably on the slower side because Harlem Hill), 10:30-11 for mile 3, and then speed burst for the last 0.1 miles. Usually when I start races I start off too fast, but I actually settled into easy right away for this one. I definitely felt a little tempted to try to speed it up, but after my warm up jog I knew it wasn't the day for it, so I kept with the easy.

Mile 1 was pretty uneventful. I didn't remember exactly where Harlem Hill starts, but I knew it was somewhere in mile 2, so I checked in with myself to see how I was doing pre-hill. I was feeling okay and knew I wanted to try to run the hill, but I wasn't sure. So I just kept running. And running. And as I saw more and more people around me switch over to walking, I realized that my new goal for the race was to try and run all of Harlem Hill, no matter how slow I went. So I kept running. And then I saw some downhill ... and I still didn't run. But I was super uber happy that I had finished the hill running.

At this point I contemplated trying to pick up some speed, but it didn't feel right. I told myself I'd check in again at 2.5 miles, and again, it didn't feel right. So I told myself that once I hit my exit from the park (about 0.25 miles from the finish) I'd pick up speed no matter what. And that's what I did.

I crossed the finish line pushing, and even though I hadn't come near my goal, I was still really happy with how I did.

OFFICIAL TIME: 35:49

Post-Race:
After crossing the finish line, I got a cup of water, a bagel, an apple, and a Honey Stinger waffle. I drank the water, but knew I wanted the bagel with something for breakfast, so I held on to that. I didn't really feel like sticking around, so I made my way back to the apartment. And was back before 8am.
Less than 2 hours from when I left for the race to when I got home. I could get used to this.

Overall, it was a nice, low-key race. It kinda felt more like a regular run with some other people around. Decently good race experience. Definitely felt good post-race. Would have gone out to join another Global Running Day event, but I've got stuff to do (also ... NYRR cancelled their Global Running Day Happy Hour run due to inclement weather ... stupid thunderstorms are expected to roll in in a few hours).
Definitely better than last year's Global Running Day, which was a hot mess (for me at least).

First run with the replacement Garmin. Per my mapping, run should have been 5.23 miles. Garmin measured it at 4.93. Yes, there may have been some slight inaccuracies with my mapping, but still ... sigh. I gotta play with the settings and see if I just need to adjust that, but ... I give up. I'll just deal with inaccurate mapping and distance and pacing. Whatever.

Also ... not sure if Beth's Garmin has GPS (she has the Vivosmart 4, I think), but it knew when she ran a mile and she sent me a picture of her run in Garmin Connect. So I want to explore that more next time I see her.

First run with the replacement Garmin. Per my mapping, run should have been 5.23 miles. Garmin measured it at 4.93. Yes, there may have been some slight inaccuracies with my mapping, but still ... sigh. I gotta play with the settings and see if I just need to adjust that, but ... I give up. I'll just deal with inaccurate mapping and distance and pacing. Whatever.

Also ... not sure if Beth's Garmin has GPS (she has the Vivosmart 4, I think), but it knew when she ran a mile and she sent me a picture of her run in Garmin Connect. So I want to explore that more next time I see her.
It’s kinda like how garmin measures the altitude change and distance different than Strava using the same data. Generally strava puts down less distance, more vertical gain, but not always.

It’s kinda like how garmin measures the altitude change and distance different than Strava using the same data. Generally strava puts down less distance, more vertical gain, but not always.

GPS apps do funny things sometimes ...
(Also, I've never noticed the altitude change difference between Garmin and Strava ... probably because most of my routes are relatively flat-ish)

Princess Half Update:
Beth is signed up for her POT 10K in September (along with her friend Lauren, who is the as of yet unmentioned 3rd member of our half party).
I'm trying to decide if I want to use Broad Street (10 miles, 1:49:39ish), last year's NYC Half (2:27:50), or sign up for a 10K (where it will probably rain). My really good 10K time that I used as POT for Broad Street will be too old to use for Princess.

EDIT: Having a good POT is not a huge deal, since if Beth and Lauren are behind me, I'll drop back and start with them, but I do want to submit a POT to get me out of the non-POT corrals, so I have to decide what to submit

More on this race later. I'm just super distracted today and trying to only slightly delay doing the things I actually have to do.

Princess Half Update:
Beth is signed up for her POT 10K in September (along with her friend Lauren, who is the as of yet unmentioned 3rd member of our half party).
I'm trying to decide if I want to use Broad Street (10 miles, 1:49:39ish), last year's NYC Half (2:27:50), or sign up for a 10K (where it will probably rain). My really good 10K time that I used as POT for Broad Street will be too old to use for Princess.

EDIT: Having a good POT is not a huge deal, since if Beth and Lauren are behind me, I'll drop back and start with them, but I do want to submit a POT to get me out of the non-POT corrals, so I have to decide what to submit

More on this race later. I'm just super distracted today and trying to only slightly delay doing the things I actually have to do.

Both the 1:49 and 2:27 appear to be Corral D based on past runDisney history. You'd need a 10k around a 1:01 or better to squeeze into Corral C.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!