Life After Marathons: A Running/barre3/Coffee/Life Journal

I feel like I owe you people an update with lots of pictures, but I was gonna go to bed at 10:15 and it's 11:30, so ... no pictures in this one.

Week In Review: April 8th - April 14th

Monday:
Run - 3.01 miles, 39:02 minutes, 12:58 min/mi avg pace. Stopped towards the end to get a bagel and then ran 0.75 miles home carrying the bagel. #sorrynotsorry
barre3 - with Bri! My first time taking Bri (I think) and she was great. I purposely took it kind of easy to not wear myself out for the long week ahead.
Eating - Meh. I just really like bagels, okay? And I don’t have that much food in the apartment at the moment anyway.

Tuesday:
Run - 3.88 miles, 48:39 minutes, 12:32 min/mi avg pace. Was gonna do this one in Central Park for a change of pace but Central Park sucks so I went back out onto the streets. This was supposed to be EC, but I was slow and also took some walk breaks that I probably didn’t need. Tl;dr - this was the crap run of the week (although there was a close second later in the week).
Eating - Free Cone Day at Ben & Jerry’s. #sorrynotsorry

Wednesday:
Run - 4.06 miles, 51:21 minutes, 12:39 min/mi avg pace. This was a good run. Ending up modifying my course a drop on the fly, but it was fine. After Tuesday’s crap run, I needed this.
Was originally scheduled for barre3, but cancelled because I wanted to not overload my legs. Ended up being a good thing because of my life schedule.
Eating - Did okay mostly. Ordered dinner … I’m sensing a theme for the week. I gotta start eating things I make at home.

Thursday:
Run - 4.50 miles, 50:50 minutes, 11:18 min/mi.
Tempo - 2x1.5 mi @10 mi Pace w/ 0.5 mi RI - Because of intervals and whatnot, I did them tempo as two sets of 15:20 minutes. First one was 1.46 miles (aka 10:30 min/mi pace), second one was 1.48 miles (10:21 min/mi pace). Goal pace was 10:11, so these were pretty good. And they felt good. I’d say this was a successful tempo run.
Eating - I drank two cups of coffee and a beer before having my first bottle of water of the day. But I didn’t snack that much, so I guess that’s a good thing.

Friday:
barre3 - with Kelly. I was definitely feeling the effects of a long week of running, but I still felt like I was doing okay. I think I did a good job balancing the barre and running this week.
Eating - Medium

Saturday:
Rest Day!
Eating - Could have been better, could have been worse.

Sunday:
Run - 13.14 miles, 2:32:11 hours, 11:35 min/mi avg pace.
Tempo - 5 miles HM Tempo, 1 mi Daniels T, 0.5 miles 10K - HM Tempo was 4.81 miles in 51:45 minutes, average pace 10:46 min/mi (planned pace was 10:20, but T+D was 110+, so I’m cool with it being slow). Daniels T was 1 mi in 9:49 (planned pace was 9:56, so this was a drop too fast). 10K pace was 0.50 miles in 5:00 minutes, avg pace 10:00 min/mi (planned was 9:52 min/mi.
This was a struggle pretty much throughout - I kept stopping just because I wanted a break. Sigh. (Also … I thought it was supposed to be a mile at 10K and then thought I messed up my Garmin workout, but I checked and I was wrong and it was fine).
Eating - Blah. I had some leftovers I wanted to finish, but I really could have saved some for tomorrow. Whatever.

Upcoming:
Monday - barre3
Tuesday - 4 mi Easy
Wednesday - 4 mi Easy, barre3
Thursday - 4 mi Easy
Friday - Rest Day
Saturday - Rest Day
Sunday - Rest Day

Passover starts Friday night, which is why we did peak week early and this week is a very down week. Hopefully it shouldn't interfere with my running too much.

Life Updates
Job Stuff - As you may remember, I’m in full-time job search mode right now. It’s really tough and I spend a decent percentage of my time completely discouraged. But I’m trying to stay optimistic. At least somewhat. I’ve gotten to the point where, like Alphaville, I’m hoping for the best but expecting the worst.

Apartment - I think I’ve only briefly touched on the apartment stuff on here, but this move has been a really difficult adjustment. Weekends are the hardest part because I’m not with my family and while I’m starting to make some friends, I still don’t feel super comfortable. When I was commuting to work that short commute made me feel less bad about the rough weekends because I knew the reason I had moved was because I wanted the shorter commute, but now that I’m not working, that reason no longer exists. So sometimes I wonder why I'm even living here. Anyway … I’m trying to adjust, but it’s really hard.

And ... that's all I got.

Ugh I’m sorry on the apartment and job search front, I know it sucks! Hang in there it will turn around!

You are pretty inspiring with your work outs, I have got to get on that!

Have a great week, and enjoy Passover.... so not my favorite holiday.... I love pasta!

I'm just catching up on journals after a nutty few weeks and my trip, but wow, your training looks like it's really on point! congrats - can't wait to see what you do at Broad Street.

I hope things start looking up with the job search and the apartment soon - it will all turn around!

Ugh I’m sorry on the apartment and job search front, I know it sucks! Hang in there it will turn around!

Thanks! I'm definitely trying to stay positive because I know things will turn around, but it's tough.

You are pretty inspiring with your work outs, I have got to get on that!

Go get on it now!
One of the good things about unemployment is that I have the time to be consistent with workouts. Hopefully I can keep it up when I'm working again.

Have a great week, and enjoy Passover.... so not my favorite holiday.... I love pasta!

Thanks! You too! (I don't love pasta, but I also don't love matzah, so ... I could do without Passover.)

I'm just catching up on journals after a nutty few weeks and my trip, but wow, your training looks like it's really on point! congrats - can't wait to see what you do at Broad Street.

Thanks! Thankfully, training has been going well, and I'm hoping that I have a good time at the race!

I hope things start looking up with the job search and the apartment soon - it will all turn around!

Thanks! I know you're right and it will turn around, and as hard as it is, I'm mostly trying to stay positive.

To make up for the lack of pictures in the last few weekly recaps, I present two things:

1 - Coffee!
40647306173_f17d3a70a9_c.jpg

That's my new Harry Potter Tervis. The straw is something I bought at Bed Bath and Beyond. It's okay, but I may eventually just end up buying the Tervis straw.

If you want to see the full design, here's a link to the tumbler on the Tervis website.

2 - Bling!
D4Hz-xHXsAAjaVa.jpg:small

I like it.
... Still gotta figure out all my race plans, though. I can talk it over with Beth a bit when she's home.

I really like that medal. Begin an adult somethings sucks. Moving to a new place can be an adjustment. Hopefully, your job search goes well and things turn around. At least we are ending the season of winter so that's a positive.

I really like that medal. Begin an adult somethings sucks. Moving to a new place can be an adjustment. Hopefully, your job search goes well and things turn around. At least we are ending the season of winter so that's a positive.

Thanks!
I'm definitely glad that this winter weather is mostly gone. I missed sunshine and not wearing like 7 layers every time I go outside!

Keep your head up on the job search. That can be really difficult at times.

That's my new Harry Potter Tervis. The straw is something I bought at Bed Bath and Beyond. It's okay, but I may eventually just end up buying the Tervis straw.
I think the straw should look like a wand and choose the wizard.

2 - Bling!
That's a nice medal. I like it a lot. The Giant Race is celebrating its 10th anniversary this year and today they released the runner bobblehead. Giants mascot Lou Seal gets the nod this year.

Keep your head up on the job search. That can be really difficult at times.

Thanks.

I think the straw should look like a wand and choose the wizard.

Note to self: Start looking for a straw that looks like a wand ... there's got to be one out there somewhere. I just have to find the right straw to choose me!

That's a nice medal. I like it a lot. The Giant Race is celebrating its 10th anniversary this year and today they released the runner bobblehead. Giants mascot Lou Seal gets the nod this year.

Thanks!
I love that the mascot is getting the bobblehead. Lou Seal is cute. I'm sure his bobblehead will be awesome!

We have thermally induced color changing straws for our kids, but they might be too short for the tervis. It would be magic, though!

New Note to self: Find Tervis-sized color changing straws.
It looks like I have a lot of shopping ahead of me...

Pesach sameach!

I hope I remembered correctly.

Thank you!
Happy (belated) Easter!

I have a question that I hope isn't culturally insensitive, but is it appropriate to say Happy Passover? I keep seeing people on my social media posting it, and I'm honestly not sure.

I'm Presbyterian, so I kind of bristle when I hear people say "Happy Good Friday" because uhhh...not really a happy day, but I'm obviously on board with Happy Easter! I feel like from my Sunday school memories learning about Passover, it's not the most cheerful of high holy days?

I have a question that I hope isn't culturally insensitive, but is it appropriate to say Happy Passover? I keep seeing people on my social media posting it, and I'm honestly not sure.

I'm Presbyterian, so I kind of bristle when I hear people say "Happy Good Friday" because uhhh...not really a happy day, but I'm obviously on board with Happy Easter! I feel like from my Sunday school memories learning about Passover, it's not the most cheerful of high holy days?

Not culturally insensitive at all. I never know if I'm saying the right thing, so I'm always happy when people ask.
Happy Passover is definitely appropriate. It is actually a pretty happy day - we're celebrating the ancient Jews being freed from slavery in Egypt, so it is a fairly happy holiday.

Week In Review: April 15th - April 21st

Monday:
barre3 - with Amanda! I think this was my first time having Amanda as an instructor (when I first started going to barre3, she worked at the front desk - a few months ago she became an instructor, and I just hadn’t gotten a chance to take her class yet). She was great. Reminded me a bit of Dino, actually, who I like but don’t take because his class is too crowded usually. So it was good.
Eating - I don’t have that much food left in the apartment, so I can’t be that bad about eating. Yay almost Passover!

Tuesday:
Run - 3.83 miles, 47:42 minutes, 12:26 min/mi average pace. Didn’t want to get out of bed, ended up getting out super late and just running in the park. Started off continuous, but decided I wanted intervals because of the hills. Planned to do 3 miles (scheduled for 4), but kept trying to trick myself into adding distance. I probably could have pushed it to 4, but I just didn’t want to.
Eating - Ok.

Wednesday:
Run - 3.85 miles, 49:35 minutes, 12:53 min/mi. Ran to barre3. Normally that’s a 4.4 mile run, so … Garmin distance was being screwy here. Stupid buildings. Also was running faster than I normally do because I got a late start and really wanted to make it in time to get a spot I liked in class.
barre3 - with Jenna! Was definitely feeling the effects of the run, so I took it easy. Kinda felt out of it towards the middle and never totally recovered. Oh well.
Eating - Didn’t make the smartest choices. Discovered that I like a good gin & tonic and don’t like sour beers at all.

Thursday:
Run - 4.18 miles, 53:51 minutes, 12:53 min/mi. I don’t remember this run but I think it was mostly uneventful, other than some really poor route planning. Wanted to end the run by walking through the garden across the street from me, but … poor route planning. So I did still have a while to go after walking through the garden.

40705230153_3f6f96a618_c.jpg

40705229273_1cfe446efd_c.jpg

Eating
- Meh

Friday:
Rest day!
Eating - I wouldn’t say it was bad, mostly because I didn’t eat much.

Saturday:
Rest day!
Eating - Yuck

Sunday:
Rest day!
Eating - Too much junk.

Passover started on Friday night, which made the end of my week stressful. But my aunt and uncle and grandfather came to visit, which was nice. And I got to see a friend who I don't see very often - we didn't really get to talk (there was a kid situation), but he went out of his way to say hi to me, which was nice. So it wasn't all bad.

Upcoming:
Monday - 0.5 mi Easy + 2 mi HM Tempo + 1 mi Daniels T + 0.5 mi 10K + 0.5 mi Easy (yeah ... we'll talk about that in the next recap)
Tuesday - 4 mi Easy
Wednesday - Rest Day!
Thursday - 0.5 mi WU + 2 x 2mi @ 10mi Pace w/ 0.5 mi RI @ WU
(may add in 0.5 mi CD if I think I have time ... not overly likely)
Friday - Rest Day!
Saturday - Rest Day!
Sunday - 4 mi Easy

No barre3 scheduled for this week because I'm in Queens and it's a schlep, but since I have access to barre3 online, I may try that and see how it goes.

Also ... Happy Passover/Easter/April/Whatever You May Or May Not Celebrate! Enjoy your holiday celebrations/commemorations (or lack thereof!).

And for my Greek Orthodox people out there ... I'm sorry that everyone ignores your Easter. I will probably forget it because of the post-Passover chaos, so ... early Happy Easter!

I love that the mascot is getting the bobblehead. Lou Seal is cute. I'm sure his bobblehead will be awesome!
My little sister was very, very excited for the Lou Seal bobblehead. She loves mascots, so getting one of her team is icing on the cake. Especially days after we discovered Cosmo the Cougar (BYU) bobbleheads.

I hope you had a nice Passover.

Knee hurt yesterday (started during the run and continued during the long car ride to/from Philly), so I decided to take today off (also, I woke up and didn't want to run). It's mostly better now, but still hurts a little occasionally ... I'm trying to decide if I want to do today's run tomorrow or just skip the run entirely and take the extra rest. Scheduled for my last 10 mile pace run on Thursday.

Coach, I will be shooting you an email eventually to check and see if/how I should modify, since this week was already 400% hard and if I skip this run, that's an easy run I'm skipping. Or we can discuss it here since we're already talking about it here. That probably makes sense too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter