Life After Marathons: A Running/barre3/Coffee/Life Journal

SarahDisney

So ... Yeah
Quick Links (coming soon)
July 2018 WDW Adventure Recaps:
WDW Marathon Weekend Planning & Recaps

The Rest
Hi everyone! I’m Sarah and I’m a runner (well … mostly). Some of you know me (hi people!), and for those of you who don’t, I hope it’s okay that I’m skipping the intros and hoping you get to know me a bit through my ramblings.

Once upon a time, I had a training journal. But when I started going through a rough patch, it became tough to maintain the journal, so I ended it. I’ve contemplated starting another training journal, but never pulled the trigger because of life stuff.

This is not a training journal per say. It’s a place for me to write out some running (and occasionally health) related thoughts. For now it’s starting with picking out my (2017,) 2018 and 2019 race schedules (scroll down). I might occasionally post some other things. Don’t expect this to be a regular thing (unless I decide to make it one), but do expect some super corny bad jokes (it’s kinda my MO).

Anyway … thanks for reading this, and check out the list below for my current race schedule (thoughts on things to add to the schedule coming soon).

CURRENT RACE SCHEDULE

Completed:
  • 2018:
    • January 22nd: Fred Lebow Manhattan Half Marathon - OFFICIAL TIME: 2:36:51 (Recap)
    • March 18th: United Airlines NYC Half Marathon - OFFICIAL TIME: 2:27:50 - PR! (Recap)
    • April 22nd: Run As One (4M) Presented by JPMorgan Chase - OFFICIAL TIME: 40:32 - PR! (Recap)
    • May 13th: Japan Run - OFFICIAL TIME: 39:35 - PR! (Recap)
    • May 27th: YIJE L'Chaim 5K Walk/Run - OFFICIAL TIME: 42:11 - 1ST PLACE AG! (Recap)
    • June 3rd: Italy Run by Ferrero (5M) - OFFICIAL TIME: 1:01:47 (Recap)
    • July 26th: NYRR R-U-N 5K (Recap) - OFFICIAL TIME: 37:35 (Recap)
    • August 5th: NYRR Manhattan 7-Mile - OFFICIAL TIME: 1:29:36 - PR! (Recap)
    • September 30th: New Balance Bronx 10 Mile - OFFICIAL TIME: 1:56:28 - PR! (Recap)
    • October 14th: Staten Island Half Marathon - OFFICIAL TIME: 2:39:40
    • November 11th: RangersTown 5K - OFFICIAL TIME: 34:05
  • 2019:
    • January 10th: Walt Disney World 5K - UNOFFICIAL TIME: 1:35:04 (Pictures)
    • January 11th: Walt Disney World 10K - OFFICIAL TIME: 1:52:27
    • January 13th: Walt Disney World Marathon - OFFICIAL TIME: 6:27:20
    • March 10th: NYCRUNS Spring Fling 10K - OFFICIAL TIME: 1:15:53
    • March 17th: United Airlines NYC Half - OFFICIAL TIME: 2:28:11 (Recap)
    • May 5th: Broad Street Run - OFFICIAL TIME: 1:49:32 (Recaps: Expo, Race)
    • June 5th: NYRR 1 For You 1 For Youth 5K - OFFICIAL TIME: 35:49 (Recap)
    • November 3rd: TCS New York City Marathon - OFFICIAL TIME: 5:46:15 (Recap)
Virtual Races:
  • 2018:
    • NYRR Virtual Resolution Run 5K - Completed 1/9, OFFICIAL TIME: 36:13
    • NYRR Virtual For the Kids 5K - Completed 2/14, OFFICIAL TIME: 41:16
    • NYRR Virtual Global Running Day 1M - Completed 6/6, OFFICIAL TIME: 12:54
    • NYRR Virtual GOOAAALLL 5K - Completed 7/12, OFFICIAL TIME: 35:48
    • NYRR Virtual New Balance 5th Avenue Mile - Completed 9/4, OFFICIAL TIME: 12:13
    • TCS New York City Marathon - Virtual 5K (November 1st-4th) - Completed 11/4, OFFICIAL TIME: 39:48
    • NYRR Virutal Turkey Trot 5K (November 19th - December 2nd) - Completed 11/28, OFFICIAL TIME: 38:26
  • 2019:
    • NYRR Virtual Resolution Run 5K (January 1st - January 13th) - Completed 1/3, OFFICIAL TIME: 35:51
    • NYRR NYC Half - Virtual 5K (March 14th - March 17th) - Completed 3/17, OFFICIAL TIME: 30:54
    • NYRR Virtual Global Running Day 1M (June 1st - June 9th) - Completed 6/5, OFFICIAL TIME: 11:06
    • NYRR Virtual Pride Run 5K (June 22nd - June 30th) - Completed 6/26, OFFICIAL TIME: 40:06
    • NYRR Virtual World Championship 5K (August 16th - August 25th) - Completed 8/23, OFFICIAL TIME: 47:52
    • NYRR Halfway There Virtual 13.1 (September 7th - October 13th) - Completed 10/13, OFFICIAL TIME: 2:34:58
    • NYRR TCS New York City Marathon - Virtual 5K (October 31st - November 3rd) - Completed 11/3, OFFICIAL TIME: 35:46
    • NYRR Virtual Turkey Trot 5K (November 23rd - December 1st)
  • 2019:
    • November 17th: Rangerstown 5K (DNS)
  • 2020:
    • February 21st: runDisney Princess 5K
    • February 23rd: runDisney Princess Half Marathon
Volunteering:
  • 2018:
    • February 4th: Gridiron 4M (Recap)
    • November 2nd: TCS NYC Marathon Expo - Number Pick Up Shift 1
    • November 4th: NYC Marathon - Finish Line Bag Check, Shift One
  • 2019:
    • May 12th: Japan Run 4M - Course Marshall - Cancelled Due To Baseball (Which Was Then Cancelled Due To Rain)
    • September 15th: TCS New York City Marathon Training Series 18M - Course Marshall South - Cancelled Due to Baseball
    • November 1st: TCS New York City Marathon Expo - T-Shirt Distribution Shift 1
Planning To Register:
  • 2020:

Last edited:
Currently Registered/Scheduled Races (As of 12/3/17): Thoughts

Fred Lebow Manhattan Half
I’m about to start the last week of a 13-week immersive coding bootcamp (which was actually 17 weeks because of the way the program is set up, but the first 4 weeks were super casual). I made the decision to not run any halfs while I was in the program, so I decided to find something to run in January, and this was something I thought could work. My cousin told me that he was thinking of registering, and while he decided not to do it (or at least if he’s doing it, he didn’t tell me), a few weeks ago I decided to pull the trigger anyway.

I’m not overly excited to return to the Central Park hills, but I knew I’d have to eventually if I want to keep racing in NY, so … I’ll just have to find a way to survive.

Other big pro: This can qualify for both 9+1 of 4-of-6. But more on those later.

United Airlines NYC Half
Ahh! My first big NYC race! Originally the course for this was just in Manhattan, but they’re changing it for 2018 to start in Brooklyn, and as much as I despise Brooklyn, I thought that sounded kinda cool, so I decided to enter the lottery. I don’t think I’ll get in, but you never know … - UPDATE: I'm in!

4 of 6: NYRR has 6 races in their “Five-Borough Series” – the Fred Lebow Manhattan Half, the United Airlines NYC Half, Airbnb Brooklyn Half, the Queens 10K, the New Balance Bronx 20 Mile, and the NYRR Staten Island Half. Running 4 of these 6 races qualifies you for guaranteed entry into the next year’s United Airlines NYC Half (NYRR membership required … but I have one of those). There are only 4 of these races that fit into my schedule (I don’t do Saturday races and (at least this year) Brooklyn Half and Queens 10K are both on Saturday), but if I do get into the NYC Half this year, assuming I don’t hate the race, I want to try to qualify for the 2019 race.

Also, if I get into this race, since I’m going to be going for 4-of-6, I most likely will also do 9+1. What is 9+1, you ask? Like 4-of-6, 9+1 is a program that allows NYRR members to get guaranteed entry into one of their races … this little race they put on called the TCS NYC Marathon. Right, that thing. You have to run 9 qualifying races and volunteer at one race, and then you’re in. Nice and easy, right? If I end up doing 9+1, I’ll probably try to do my volunteering in February, then run 5 “shorter” races to supplement my four five-borough races. So … there’s that.

Wine & Dine Races
My last runDisney race was in January 2016. Since then, things have been a little messy for me, and going back to Disney just has not been an option. It’s been too long. This may be getting a little better now (ie I’m hoping to start a new career soon), and I think November will give me enough time to get settled in a bit. And that way I don’t have to go another whole year without runDisney.

A lot of this is still up in the air, so I’m not 100% certain that I can make this happen. But even if I don’t know in March what my schedule will be like in November, the plan is to register for the races and just eat the cost if I can’t go.

Plus … Toy Story Land is supposed to open in the Summer of 2018, so when I’m not running, I’ll be waiting in line for Toy Story attractions.

Last edited:
Big Apple Half Marathon - 12/10/2017

12/4 Update: 95% No (official decision coming soon)

12/12 Update: Clearly I didn't do it or you would have heard about it by now. Ran a slightly snowy 8.79 miles that day instead. I'm cool with it.

This race was not on my radar until last weekish. I knew it was happening, but I didn't even thinking about running it. But ... I have no races scheduled for the month of December, so now it's kinda almost on my radar. Ish. Trying to decide if I should do it ...

Pros:
  • MEDAL!!!
DQFg0ojX0AAVhCI.jpg
  • It’s next week – no time to freak out
  • Reward for finishing my bootcamp
Cons:
  • Central Park hills … (those of you who are used to me understand that statement)
  • It’s next week – no time to train
  • Technically, I still have hiring day later that week … I should be spending my time researching companies and working on resumes, not running races

This is a tough decision to make. On the one hand … I like the idea of just getting out there and running a half. And I like the fact that it might be an option for me.

On the other hand, I’m definitely undertrained, and I just don’t know that the timing is great.

Tough decision … I’d really appreciate any input that anyone may have!

Last edited:

Excited to follow along in this! Hopefully we can meet again at Wine and Dine!

I’ve been contemplating starting a training journal myself...

Glad to have you here! I'm really hoping I can make it to Wine & Dine. I have to get back to runDisney!

Yeah, training journals seem to be all the rage right now. They can be a lot of work, though (I say this from experience), so ... we'll see how long I can keep this thing up.

I’m jumping in here to follow. I have nothing to offer running wise as I’m winging it myself. However I appreciate corny jokes. So there’s that.

I’m jumping in here to follow. I have nothing to offer running wise as I’m winging it myself. However I appreciate corny jokes. So there’s that.

Thanks for following along! I think winging it is a very common thing with running.
I'm glad some people appreciate corny jokes ... with all this emphasis now on staying away from high fructose corn syrup, corny jokes just aren't as popular as they used to be ...
(my jokes also don't always make sense, I should probably mention that)

:wave: following along, yay!

Hi Internet Ariel! Thanks for joining in ... it wouldn't be the same without you. Hopefully you'll enjoy all the beautiful clothing and fun purses ... oh wait, you're the one who usually posts those. I'm the one who looks, decided I want it all, and then remembers that when you buy things you're expected to pay for them, so ... no pretty things for me.
Glad to have you here!

If you have the base fitness to run th erase without being totally miserable, i say go for it! Look at that medal.

Also, i just started a training journal and i need to update it, so I’m a little nervous about the work involved. Happy to follow along here again!

If you have the base fitness to run th erase without being totally miserable, i say go for it! Look at that medal.

Also, i just started a training journal and i need to update it, so I’m a little nervous about the work involved. Happy to follow along here again!

Hi!!

Thanks for the advice/input! I'm still trying to figure out if I'll be totally miserable ... I was mostly fine on my 8 miler last week and perfectly decent on my 5 miler today, so I guess that combines to an okay half marathon ... maybe. I have to think about it.
But yeah, that medal ...

(Also, I saw your new training journal and I keep meaning to read it, but then I get distracted by something shiny. Hopefully next week when I'm not extra super busy I can find some time to catch up on everyone's journals!)

Following along here, too! I'm so glad you started a journal!

OK, so re: the race. It looks like there's a 3:30 time limit for their half marathons, which, yeah, even if you needed to walk a chunk of it, you could. So there's an argument in favor.

BUT, I have to say that my inclination would be to not run it. Definitely a cool medal, but you have another half in January. And you said this about that one:

I’m not overly excited to return to the Central Park hills, but I knew I’d have to eventually if I want to keep racing in NY, so … I’ll just have to find a way to survive.

So I'm not sure that subjecting yourself to that on no training is going to do wonders for your race mentality going back to those hills just six weeks later. Also, it really does sound like you've got a lot of other stuff going on. I feel like with the same list of pros and cons and another half in just six weeks, I personally would lean towards no... but that's me.

All of that said, if you feel up to doing a half as a nice, slow training run and you could really convince yourself to take it easy, then, yeah, cool, that's a neat medal and I can see why it's tempting!

WOOHOO!!! New training journal. I'm so happy you decided to start one up again.

I love that Big Apple medal. I'm excited to read along.

If it was me personally, I'm on the side of the fence that @FredtheDuck is on...especially if you have bigger fish to fry in January. But I'm an over-planner and more tentative than some folks round here. I have no problem convincing other people to do things I wouldn't though (oops)

I'd say to check in with yourself on what your plan is for the days/weeks after this half (if you decide to do it) since you may need some recovery time. And how will that affect your training leading up to the next scheduled race. Just things to think (or overthink) about :)

So excited to follow along!! You're off to a great start with your journal...a suspenseful "will she or won't she run the big apple!?" story line. ;)

Like you and others, I think there are good arguments to be made on either side. I would be worried about injury and how that would hurt the January half, but some people aren't injury prone, so it's not a big deal. You could also run intervals or if you are an interval runner, just increase your walk ratio.

This is not a training journal per say. It’s a place for me to write out some running (and occasionally health) related thoughts.
I, too, recently started a "training journal" but I feel like it's going to be more like here's my life right now and sometimes I run. I think we are allowed to make these whatever we want them to be, right? Anyway, I am glad to be following along. Reading everyone's else's thoughts helps keep me motivated. :)

You're off to a great start with your journal...a suspenseful "will she or won't she run the big apple!?" story line. ;)
Hahahaha, seriously. And I see both sides of what @FredtheDuck and @roxymama are saying. But I ran my first half with zero training and survived so I am voting to just do it, go slow, and get that awesome medal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!