Life After Marathons: A Running/barre3/Coffee/Life Journal

<OldRetiredGuyLecture>
"Can't do it" and "haven't figured out how to do it yet" are 2 different things.

Break it up into smaller problems. Ask yourself what you need to know that you don't know yet. Figure out how to 'know' those things. Sometimes it's an experiment to prove or disprove somthing, sometimes it's just finding the right website, sometimes it's a hint from someone.

Think about it from a different angle: is there an easier way to do this thing? Or have I over-simplified it and need a more complex solution. What similar problems have I solved? Do those solutions for for this problem? Why not? What if a solve the problem using crappy non-standard hacks and then refine the solution.

The idea is to put a million thoughts in your head, go for a run, let your sub-conscious work on them, and "Boom!" you get a solution. There are dozens, if not hundreds of times, where I've started a run with no idea what I'll do next, and finished the run with an idea.

Just don't stop doing stuff because once you stop, the "can't do it" is permanent.

</OldRetiredGuyLecture>

Thanks for the lecture (or as I prefer to think of it, "pep talk"). I'm taking a step back right now to work on something else for a little bit, and we'll see how things go if/when I revisit this stuff later.

Just don't stop doing stuff because once you stop, the "can't do it" is permanent.

I think this is the issue. I spent months learning and practicing something (both on my own and in formal coursework) and then I've spent the last 6 months not really doing all of that (although doing something related), and now that I'm trying to go back to what I wanted to be doing in the first place, I haven't touched that kind of stuff in 5-6 months, so I no longer feel like I know what to do.
(That makes no sense, right?)

sorry you had such a frustrating day at work yesterday and I love @OldSlowGoofyGuy 's advice.

Thanks. And agreed.

Also, kudos for volunteering to try something new and challenging even if it didn't work out as you planned. Do you know how many people wouldn't even bother trying? As a manager, I'd so much more rather have someone say, "Hey, let me give that a shot" and then come back needing help than to have someone who never does more than absolutely necessary nor steps out of their comfort zone. And, you can figure this out even if that means asking for help.

Thanks. I kinda wish I had volunteered for something earlier when we were less busy and asking for help wouldn't mean taking someone away from really important stuff that needs to get done before next week (aka launch day). We'll see if I end up figuring out who to ask for help and feel comfortable asking.

And, baseball is not my sport, but I'm so glad you got a night out for a game to help salvage the day.

Um ... putting aside the fact that America's Favorite Pastime is apparently not your sport ... thanks!

Lastly - woohoo for Marathon weekend time off being official!!!

YAY!!!! Now I just have to actually register for the races (I'm hoping the links show up any day now) and book my Universal hotel and my flights.

Side note: Has anyone stayed at Cabana Bay? Thoughts? Mostly I'm just excited to possibly not have to bring my own shampoo (yes, I use VO5). (Also, it seems very much up my alley)

Also ... I just noticed that my Dunkin Donuts birthday drink has arrived. It's good through September 14th. Do I use it today because #yolo or do I wait and use it later? (Starbucks birthday drink will be used on my actual birthday ... because that's when I can use it)

Last edited:
I haven't touched that kind of stuff in 5-6 months, so I no longer feel like I know what to do.
(That makes no sense, right?)

Here's another pep talk: developers never know what to do. We all just steal code from the internet and other programs and paste it together until it does what we want it to do. And then when it doesn't work, we find someone who had the same error/issue and already figured it out.

We call it: GMAO = Google my butt off!

Here's another pep talk: developers never know what to do. We all just steal code from the internet and other programs and paste it together until it does what we want it to do. And then when it doesn't work, we find someone who had the same error/issue and already figured it out.

We call it: GMAO = Google my butt off!

True.
I actually tried just copy and pasting from a different part of the app, and if I went back to the front page of the app and reloaded everything the stuff I had just inputted was there. Now I just need to figure out how to make the information show up right away, which is what it needs to do... which means the copy and paste answer didn't quite work.

Also ... I just noticed that my Dunkin Donuts birthday drink has arrived. It's good through September 14th. Do I use it today because #yolo or do I wait and use it later? (Starbucks birthday drink will be used on my actual birthday ... because that's when I can use it)

That is so nice that DD lets you get a drink after your birthday. I preferred when Starbucks was that way as well. I hate that you can only use it the day of as that is not always convenient. Last year we were in London so I missed out. I know boo hoo to me I was on a lovely vacation and missed out on a $5 drink - but its more the principle of the thing lol

That is so nice that DD lets you get a drink after your birthday. I preferred when Starbucks was that way as well. I hate that you can only use it the day of as that is not always convenient. Last year we were in London so I missed out. I know boo hoo to me I was on a lovely vacation and missed out on a $5 drink - but its more the principle of the thing lol

I was pleasantly surprised by the DD fact. The Starbucks thing is definitely annoying ... but since I'll be near a Starbucks on my birthday this year, I don't have to worry. But I do wish it was still a longer period of time.

A few things:
1 - Sorry about all the work rants lately. But thank you very much for all the kind words and advice, it's all very much appreciated. You guys are the best!
1A - For right now I'm trying to focus on the good at work ... today I got two things done: a) I integrated some of my work with a tool that my coworker built that was planned to launch today (I didn't ask him how the launch went, but I'm hoping well), and b) I proposed a new way to minimize the number of bugs we create when fixing other bugs, and I wrote the first part of that solution and submitted a pull request to have it integrated into our code. So, all in all a good day.

2 - I'm really struggling with eating lately and I need to get that under control. It's really hard for me. I don't do well with diets or tracking my food. But I also don't always do well when left to my own devices. I need to figure something out. Sigh.

3 - Apparently my co-worker went to town on my chocolate supply after I left yesterday. Which is fine, that's what it's there for, but ... I got into work this morning and there was not so much chocolate in the bowl and I knew I ate a lot of chocolate yesterday so it was kind of a "what the **** did I do yesterday?" situation. But then I discovered that it wasn't me and I felt much better.

4- I think I need an extra layer of accountability for this plan, so I want to try to post a recap of the week every Sunday or Monday. I did that on my old journal and it really became a burden, so I don't know how long this will last, but I want to try.

So ... that's it for tonight. Tomorrow is a new day ... and hopefully it will be a good one. Good night (/morning/afternoon/whatever) all!

Glad you are feeling better about work. It's an up and down thing for all of us, right? Also, I laughed over the "what the **** did I do yesterday" thought like you had this moment where you worried you were in a fugue state just mindless eating chocolate. Glad that wasn't the case and just your co-worker going to town on your chocolate.

I like posting my running and most recently my food diary. I know it's pretty boring to read, but it does help me with accountability to write it all out!

Glad you are feeling better about work. It's an up and down thing for all of us, right? Also, I laughed over the "what the **** did I do yesterday" thought like you had this moment where you worried you were in a fugue state just mindless eating chocolate. Glad that wasn't the case and just your co-worker going to town on your chocolate.

Thanks.
Yeah, that was pretty much exactly what happened ... it was like "is there a hole in my memory? Was I semi-conscious or in some sort of fugue state?" I was very confused...

I like posting my running and most recently my food diary. I know it's pretty boring to read, but it does help me with accountability to write it all out!

I enjoy reading other people's running and food diaries (although lately I've been skimming more than reading because work) ... I just don't know how much I'm going to enjoy posting my own. It might be too much thinking for me.

---

In other news ... I went to Starbucks for the first time in over a month. Iced Venti Nonfat Cinnamon Dolce Latte. It was good (although I probably should have gotten an extra pump of flavor), but ... I didn't miss it. Now that I either get my afternoon coffee from work or go elsewhere (or sometimes skip it...), I can live without Starbucks. I still have a free drink, so I'll probably use that after either the Bronx 10 Mile or Staten Island Half, but ... I don't know if I'll end up going back very often. Which means I may lose my gold status in July for the first time since I first got it (which was about 6 months after they created gold). It is what it is. We'll see what happens.

Also, work is medium entertaining today, if only because someone who just joined the project a few weeks ago is arguing with the outside consultant about something in the project and it has the potential to be funny.

In other news ... I went to Starbucks for the first time in over a month. Iced Venti Nonfat Cinnamon Dolce Latte. It was good (although I probably should have gotten an extra pump of flavor), but ... I didn't miss it. Now that I either get my afternoon coffee from work or go elsewhere (or sometimes skip it...), I can live without Starbucks. I still have a free drink, so I'll probably use that after either the Bronx 10 Mile or Staten Island Half, but ... I don't know if I'll end up going back very often. Which means I may lose my gold status in July for the first time since I first got it (which was about 6 months after they created gold). It is what it is. We'll see what happens.
:guilty: July is a long ways away, and it’s almost pumpkin spice season....

Whew, tough crowd. More pumpkin things for me then! I make the best pumpkin chocolate chip muffins and they are the epitome of fall to me. Also, pumpkin pancakes and pumpkin soup. Omg. Gimme all the pumpkin things.

I might like pumpkin soup. I like butternut squash soup.

Pumpkin seeds yes.
Pumpkin roll yes, depending on who makes it.
Otherwise, gingerbread. Gingerbread all the way.

You will not find me in line ahead of you ordering the last pumpkin anything. You're welcome.

The only pumpkin anything I like is bread, but only my recipe.

Pumpkin bread ... sounds interesting. Feel free to share the recipe :) (unless it's some sort of closely-guarded secret)

Pumpkins are for carving, not for eating or drinking.

I don't do that either...

Whew, tough crowd. More pumpkin things for me then! I make the best pumpkin chocolate chip muffins and they are the epitome of fall to me. Also, pumpkin pancakes and pumpkin soup. Omg. Gimme all the pumpkin things.

I might actually not hate pumpkin chocolate chip muffins. I can tolerate a lot of things with my chocolate chip muffins. (Although banana chocolate chip is my favorite)
Also ... feel free to share the recipe :)

I might like pumpkin soup. I like butternut squash soup.

I too am a fan of butternut squash soup. But I like butternut squash everything. I don't like pumpkin everything.

Pumpkin seeds yes.
Pumpkin roll yes, depending on who makes it.
Otherwise, gingerbread. Gingerbread all the way.

You will not find me in line ahead of you ordering the last pumpkin anything. You're welcome.

Back when I used to make my own granola, I used pumpkin seeds. I probably still have some in the house. But I only eat them in granola ... I don't eat them plain.
I'm very weird.
And I second the gingerbread for sure. Gingerbread is awesome.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter