Life After Marathons: A Running/barre3/Coffee/Life Journal

Oh, a few other things:
1 - Signed up for a monthly barre3 membership yesterday. It breaks even at 8 classes and I'm planning to go twice a week, so it works. And gives me the option of going more often if I want. I have some grand ambitious plans (that Coach might not agree with) of going on Sundays after my long run during marathon training.
2 - Really good 10K pace run this morning. A drop slow, but it really felt like 10K pace, especially in the second mile. Felt somewhat worn out at the end, but still finished with an on-pace cool down mile. I'm very happy with this run.
3 - I was good for about an hour at work today. Then I ate all the chocolate. In my defense ... everything is broken at work today. Grr. The only thing keeping me from complaining is that people higher up on the totem pole (well, actually lower down on the totem pole because that's where the more important people are) look more stressed than I am. Sigh.
4 - #life. Am I right?

1. I love how dedicated you are being to your cross-training. wish I were doing the same.

Thanks! It took me a long time to get into a cross-training routine, so I'm glad I've finally gotten it down. I think having the financial incentive of wanting to get my money's worth out of this subscription will definitely help me stay on track.

2. Sounds like a great run. Those training runs at 10k are hard!

Thanks!

3. Eat some chocolate for me, will ya?

I'll do you one better - I'll find you some super low-carb healthy chocolate that still tastes delicious and send it over! (I cannot guarantee that this package will ever arrive, because I am not sure if this exists)

4. Oh, you are right!

:)

Oh, and Beth wants me to come to her next weekend. Which is perfect timing because summer fridays, but bad timing because I have a 9 miler scheduled for Sunday and I dont know where near her I'd do it.
Sigh. I gotta think about this.

1. Seriously, what @ZellyB said. I can get some cross training going for about a week and then I am like, meh. But I am usually just doing a free activity at my house, so yeah involve money and I would be more inclined to stick with it for sure.
2. I love those kinds of runs! YAY!
3. Everything was broken at work yesterday and it was out of my paygrade to fix but I had to go show face to all the people who couldn't work and be like "Yeah, sorry, we are working on it..." without any coffee in my system. It was the worst.
4. Indeed.

1. Seriously, what @ZellyB said. I can get some cross training going for about a week and then I am like, meh. But I am usually just doing a free activity at my house, so yeah involve money and I would be more inclined to stick with it for sure.

The money is definitely the motivating factor. I never stuck with any cross training (well, beyond walking) when I was just doing it at home. Actually investing money in something has been a huge game changer for me. (It's also something I couldn't have done before recently because I just couldn't justify the expense)

2. I love those kinds of runs! YAY!

I was definitely happy to start off this new plan with such a great run.

3. Everything was broken at work yesterday and it was out of my paygrade to fix but I had to go show face to all the people who couldn't work and be like "Yeah, sorry, we are working on it..." without any coffee in my system. It was the worst.

No coffee? That sounds like a nightmare. I'm so sorry that happened to you. If you have to deal with broken things (whether or not you're the one fixing them), there should at least be coffee involved.

Good news: I got back into my email with no chocolate eaten.
Bad news: I may have this issue again next week. Apparently my manager needs to file some paperwork, not sure if he's going to get to it right away. I will go over to his desk and ask him about it at some point today.

1. I love how you're sticking with Barre. I loved Barre classes when I did them, but they increased the price so much, I could not justify the expense. I am hoping more places will offer them at some point at a more reasonable price.
2. Sounded like a great run. Has it cooled off in NYC at all? It's been cooler in MA this week which has made the runs feel nicer.
3. So I forgot we had truffles in the fridge that we bought in Ireland so I may have had two last night and a Popsicle.
4. I had my free birthday drink from Starbucks today so life hasn't been too awful this week. Plus it's Wednesday

1. I love how you're sticking with Barre. I loved Barre classes when I did them, but they increased the price so much, I could not justify the expense. I am hoping more places will offer them at some point at a more reasonable price.

Thanks! The price where I go isn't great, but it isn't terrible. I saw that a Pure Barre place in the area charge $300 for a monthly subscription - yikes! I hope you eventually find a place near you with decent pricing.

2. Sounded like a great run. Has it cooled off in NYC at all? It's been cooler in MA this week which has made the runs feel nicer.

Thanks! Weather was a little cooler here for a few days, but I think it's back to being hot today (I haven't left the office in like 5 hours). Yuck.

3. So I forgot we had truffles in the fridge that we bought in Ireland so I may have had two last night and a Popsicle.

I heard a rumor that truffles from Ireland don't have calories, so I think you're good :) (that or I'm just making things up)

4. I had my free birthday drink from Starbucks today so life hasn't been too awful this week. Plus it's Wednesday

Birthday drink. Nice. What did you get? (Also ... happy birthday!)

1. Today I volunteered to do new things. So far it's not working out great for me. Although if I can figure out this thing I'm working on now ... I'm gonna feel like a boss. Most likely I'll just feel crappy for trying.
2. I was good until 11ish and then I ate all the chocolate.
3. Going to the Yankees game tonight. Forgot to wear a Yankees t-shirt. I have like 5 of them. But I forgot. I also don't have my hat, but that's because it's cap night.

Wednesdays...

Anyway ....
I'm sitting on a bench a few blocks from the office trying not to cry because I dont know why I volunteered to help with this and I cant do it and I should have just stuck with the same garbage I've been doing for months. And I'm too scared to ask for help and I dont know how to admit to everyone that I cant do it.

On the plus side ... I'm mostly approved for the week-plus of PTO I wanted to take for marathon weekend.

I'm sitting on a bench a few blocks from the office trying not to cry because I dont know why I volunteered to help with this and I cant do...

<OldRetiredGuyLecture>
"Can't do it" and "haven't figured out how to do it yet" are 2 different things.

Break it up into smaller problems. Ask yourself what you need to know that you don't know yet. Figure out how to 'know' those things. Sometimes it's an experiment to prove or disprove somthing, sometimes it's just finding the right website, sometimes it's a hint from someone.

Think about it from a different angle: is there an easier way to do this thing? Or have I over-simplified it and need a more complex solution. What similar problems have I solved? Do those solutions for for this problem? Why not? What if I solve the problem using crappy non-standard hacks and then refine the solution.

The idea is to put a million thoughts in your head, go for a run, let your sub-conscious work on them, and "Boom!" you get a solution. There are dozens, if not hundreds of times, where I've started a run with no idea what I'll do next, and finished the run with an idea.

Just don't stop doing stuff because once you stop, the "can't do it" is permanent.

</OldRetiredGuyLecture>

Last edited:
sorry you had such a frustrating day at work yesterday and I love @OldSlowGoofyGuy 's advice.

Also, kudos for volunteering to try something new and challenging even if it didn't work out as you planned. Do you know how many people wouldn't even bother trying? As a manager, I'd so much more rather have someone say, "Hey, let me give that a shot" and then come back needing help than to have someone who never does more than absolutely necessary nor steps out of their comfort zone. And, you can figure this out even if that means asking for help.

And, baseball is not my sport, but I'm so glad you got a night out for a game to help salvage the day.

Lastly - woohoo for Marathon weekend time off being official!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter