48 hours to go and DD gets Strep throat!

compmom

Mouseketeer
I took my 7 yr old DD to the pediatrician yesterday afternoon for a rash and a sore throat.
To my surprise they did a rapid strep test and it came back positive! This is for a kid who did not act real sick...

So she now is on Penicillin for 10 days and has antibiotic cream for the rash on her butt.

Thank goodness I followed my instincts and took her rather than let time go and then she would have been miserable on our trip.

We leave tomorrow afternoon(Wed) and , unless she has a reaction to the Penicillin, then she should be okay to travel.

So now besides laundry, last minute packing- I have my DD home from school and we still want to leave on time. My nerves are shot!!

I know everything will be okay, but I feel better to vent a little bit.

I feel like a child waiting for Santa. Tommorrow will take too long to get here..<sigh>

Tina

Look at the bright side...after 48 hours, she isn't contagious anymore. Plus if you are flying, be sure to get her dimetapp or sudafed so the congestion from the strep doesn't back up into her ears. She'll be more comfortbale, and may even sleep through the flight. Good luck and good instincts!

I've been lots of times with sick kids...even ended up in the emergency room in Celebration a few times. She'll feel better soon and being at Disney will help too - just don't over do it.

If her med needs to be refridgerated, i think you can get a fridge and they will waive the charge. (If you're staying onsite.)

Glad to know I am not the only one! We will be lugging our nebulizer along with us for daily breathing treatments for our 2.5 year old who has been sick. Luckily the antibiotic they gave us is the 5 day one and today will be his last dose.....right before we leave for the airport!

We are driving from Charlotte, NC and we are taking a leisurely time to get there, stopping overnight in Kingsland, Ga. We will have a cooler with some of the blue ice blocks in it and then Thursday, we will borrow some hotel ice(packed in ziploc bags), until the afternoon, when we check in at our hotel in Orlando.

Then we have a 1 bedroom villa, with a full kitchen for the remainder of our stay.

Don;t worry about overdoing.... I am disabled , so we were already planning on a very loose itinerary. My daughter's health is paramount, so we will work around her health and capabilities.

I can't wait..... have a nice Easter everyone.

Tina

Good luck and have fun! Realistically, she'll probably be almost 100% better by the time you get there. Strep throat is horrible, but antibiotics are amazing.

Just an idea. Did you know you can get a lot of anitbiotics in the chewables now? They do not have to be kept cool and would be great to take into the parks with you. We did this once when DS got sick. You would have to pay for a second medication but it might be worth it. Kids bounce back so quick. Glad you caught it in time. Have a great trip!

Jordan's mom

I have traveled myself with strep throught many times(I used to teach pre school, no more need said), after 48 hours on antibiotics you feel back to yourself. We went to WDW a few months ago with our then 8 1/2 month old daughter. She had an ear infection a few days before we left and had augmention for 10 days. She was fine on the trip, but on the 5 day of medication started to get a bad dipar rash, that spred. Turns out it was an allergic reaction. Both the staff at Poly and MK fisrt aid were very helpful and we used Centra Care to get some cortazone to bring down the swelling. (113 for to see the Doc 3 dollars for me medication) Centra care was very good and helpful on a Sunday morning no less!) Both my husband and I are allergic to peniclin and now our daughter is too.

Bring Benadryl just in case and even consider seeing if Ped will give you some cortizone to bring with you if you have any reason to belive she might be allerigic to the med. Look for the rash after 5 days, it starts in warm areas (under arms between legs ect....)

We had a great trip and it didn't really stop us much. She didn't seem to mind the rash, I did. I hated seeing her like that. She had little red hidden mickeys all over her!!!!! It was gone by the time we got home, but for 3 days it was an alfuwl rash!!! People would go "oh what a cute baby, what is wrong with her? Is she contagous?" Like we would bring her to the parks with the mumps!!!!"

Have a good trip. Once treated strep is nothing!!!!!

BTW we did stay at Poly and they did wave the refridge fee because it was medically nessasry. (only after I complained nicely!)

My kids seem to always come down with something while at WDW. Happy to say we have been able to get meds. easily by a call home and the wonderful CM's at the resorts (never had to even go to the pharmacy - they deliver to wdw).
Just wanted to mention, dd had history of ear infections so when she was 5 we began using earplanes. These are child ear plugs designed to equalize pressure in planes on take off and descent - they worked awesome for her!! The whole family uses them now - they come in adult sizes too!

My 8 year old dd is on digoxin and blood thinners (congential heart disorders ~ major big time ones). We have been lugging around meds on vacation for years. She got very sick in 1998 during her MAKE A WISH Disney trip and it turned out okay. Last year about a month before WDW trip, I got shingles (grown up chicken pox). Both my kids got chicken pox before our trip. The last pox disappeared 1 week before the trip. WDW trips are like weddings. We plan them and imagine them perfect and when things don't go perfect we get disappointed. BUT! It usually always turned out PERFECT again! Sandra

Sandra - I hope your daughter is doing well now. I just reread my post and realized how trivial most illnesses are compared to what you have dealt with. :)

one word......(and im not sure how to spell it)

zythromax

ask the dr for it and have fun!

Well, IF something happens, let me assure you the the Celebration ER is the best ER I have ever been in! This past December, we arrived on a Sunday, and I awakend Monday @ 3am w/ a kidney stone. I had not packed ANY of my medicine. I was at the ER that night and the next day. they had put me on Cipro for precaution. It, however made me sick as a dog. So, until I past the stone, I walked around WDW on pain medicine and phanagran. WOW- that was an experience.

Anyway, Celebration is great and the onsite hotels have a fax in service with a pharmacy that will deliver for $5.00.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter