• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

45 Days to Viva Italia and ATMs

whayes

Mouseketeer
The countdown to our vacation continues. I started posting about 8 months ago. I cannot believe it is almost here!

The real reason for this post was to let you know about some information I found.

It is recommended to use cash in foreign countries because the credit card companies charge outrageous fees for foreign transactions. The best way to get cash is from ATMs. According to everything I have read, the ATMs provide the best conversion rate.

Most ATMs still have fees, but they are better than the credit card fees. However, I have found a well known bank that provides a money market account with ATM access and no fees. Capital One, the big credit card bank, provides a money market account and they do not charge fees for using your ATM card in a foreign country. The only thing you might pay is the fee at the ATM in the foreign country. You also have a daily limit of $500 on ATM transactions. The other good thing is that the money market account has a pretty good interest rate. The current rate is 2.75%

I think it depends on your comfort level, but the no fee ATM withdrawals up to $500 per day are a good sell for me. I have signed up for an account. As soon as I get my ATM card, I will let you know which ATM networks (STAR, CIRRUS, etc.) it can access.

Hope this helps!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter