4 Vancouverites take on Alaska! Aug 28-Sept 4 2017 *COMPLETED*

Catching up also :) we had a wet day also, so really just took a van to the glacier, checked it out, and then walked around the town a bit...we had also hoped to do the tram, but no dice.
Nice to hear that even your DH enjoyed the Frozen show..did he like it in DL?

Catching up also :) we had a wet day also, so really just took a van to the glacier, checked it out, and then walked around the town a bit...we had also hoped to do the tram, but no dice.
Nice to hear that even your DH enjoyed the Frozen show..did he like it in DL?

We actually didn't 'bother' to see the Frozen show on our last two Disneyland/DCA trips lol So I can't say!

I am determined to finish this TR and put it to bed by the end of this weekend!!! :oops::sad2:

All caught up on your report!! Very excited, we're on the 8/27 sailing to Alaska, soon we're going to be counting the minutes I think... And I do hope my 7 year old enjoys BBB a bit more than your girls...:rotfl:

Really great read, thanks!

All caught up on your report!! Very excited, we're on the 8/27 sailing to Alaska, soon we're going to be counting the minutes I think... And I do hope my 7 year old enjoys BBB a bit more than your girls...:rotfl:

Really great read, thanks!

Thanks for reading along! You will have a fantastic time!!! And I'm sure your 7 yr old will have a blast at BBB...pretty sure 95% of kids love it, and mine happen to be in the 5% that feel it's a human torture device :sad2:

I also keep saying that I'm going to finish this once and for all and every deadline I set passes because I'm apparently a liar :mad: So let's hope everyone is pleasantly surprised when it does actually get finished and hopefully it's before the end of THIS summer :rotfl2:

I also keep saying that I'm going to finish this once and for all and every deadline I set passes because I'm apparently a liar :mad: So let's hope everyone is pleasantly surprised when it does actually get finished and hopefully it's before the end of THIS summer :rotfl2:

I'm sure you are just keeping us all in suspense to heighten the drama. :jester: :rotfl:

Hey look at that, I came back! I'm updating!!! Wow.....My new goal is to finish this TR before the 1 year anniversary of us taking this trip :rotfl2:

So now it's Saturday and we are in Ketchikan, our southern-most stop in Alaska. The ship does not dock until around 11am so that afforded us a nice, leisurely breakfast at Cabana's out on deck. The sun was shining and it was going to be a gorgeous day! Good thing, too, because our excursion was ALL outside!

We watched us dock from our verandah:
ket1.jpg

Our excursion that day was a back country jeep (where you drive your own jeep in a convoy), ending with a canoe trip across a lake for some food and a short nature walk.

Photo of the 4 of us (dh drove) before setting off:
ket2.jpg

Two things of note with youngest dd: 1-she is still wearing her hair from the disasterous BBB visit and 2-she has a sour-puss on because she declared the jeep was 'absolutely filthy' when we got in(it was, you go through some rough terrain on this trip).

So as mentioned, there is a lot of off roading with this trip. Extremely bumpy roads, pot holes, steep terrain. The beauty of nature cannot be beat, however:
ket3.jpg ket5.jpg ket6.jpg

Photo of dh by the jeep:
ket4.jpg

There's a photo of me by the jeep, too, but I think I look fat so you're not going to see it :rotfl:

Now, as I have mentioned (twice now) it was quite rough and unfortunately it proved too rough for both of our girls. One of whom ended up throwing up into a plastic bag and the other dd jumped out (we had pulled to the side) and threw the bag into the back woods of Alaska. Sorry environment....that probably won't biodegrade for a while but it was NOT staying inside that jeep. :cool:

Near the end of our ride the roads were much smoother and we arrived at the lake for our canoe:

ket7.jpg

That, by the way, is the only photo you are getting of our entire canoe journey :laughing: Yep, another photo fail!!

DD9 chose to stay behind because she was DONE at this point, having thrown up on the side of the road etc. Poor girl. I had offered to stay back but our lovely guides said another mom, who was a nurse, was also staying back so they stayed back together. Turns out they had a wonderful time, skipping rocks in the water, chatting about various things and going on their own nature walk! :banana: DD9 didn't miss the canoe at all so I'm glad she was ok.

It was a decent paddle across this lake and we tried desperately to beat the other canoe :laughing: DD7 managed to splash me quite a bit :scratchin Once we got to the other side (the water, by the way, was like glass!) there was a huge campfire to make smores, some lovely little nibbles, coffee, water and hot chocolate - it was a lovely little spread. Once we'd filled our faces our guides took us on a nature walk (maybe 15-20 minutes tops) to explain some of the unique foliage to the area before heading back to our canoes for the paddle home. I think both canoes were considerably slower at this point as we were all a bit full and tired :laughing:

A short jeep ride back (on mostly-non-bumpy roads) and our bus was waiting to take us back to town.

Hello beautful:
ket8.jpg

It was only about 3 or 3:30 by this time (all aboard was not until 7:45pm) so we got the girls something else to eat (esp DD9 who had missed any food on the canoe trip) and then we dropped them off at the clubs, letting the CM's (and the kids) know DH and I would be getting off the ship again to wander around downtown for a bit. He gave them his cell phone and we had a little date afternoon....

It was an absolutely gorgeous afternoon, about 75F and the warmest/sunniest day they'd seen in a while in Ketchikan! We really lucked out with the weather overall on this cruise.

Now come along as we wander Creek street and beyond:
ket12.jpg ket12.jpgket11.jpg ket10.jpg ket9.jpg

Aren't we cute? lol
ket14.jpg

Iconic:
ket15.jpg

Our beautiful ship in the distance
ket13.jpg

After about 90 minutes or so we returned to the Wonder, checked on the girls (who were happy to stay in the clubs for a bit longer) and we went to Cove Cafe for a beverage:
ket16.jpg

Although we have no photos (boo to us) we did sit upstairs in Cove Cafe as this was about a month before they turned the entire top portion into the concierge lounge. It's a pity really; we will probably never sail concierge and these views were quite nice from the second level.

Not sure what we did that night as I didn't write it down! This guy was waiting for us after turn down, reminding us we only had one more day left....
ket17.jpg

Up next our last sea day, wherein DD9 meets some lovely princesses and dh and I do back to back tastings......!!!!

Cool! An update! :thumbsup2 Lovely scenery photos and the canoe trip looks like it would be fun....assuming you hadn't been barfing the entire journey there. :sick::sick::sick: Poor girls, that's such a shame for them. Back to back tastings :woohoo: now you're talking my language. :rotfl::banana:

My youngest doesn’t do well on bumpy roads either so I’ve already ruled out driving excursions for our trip next year. Glad she bounced back though!

I don't know where this week has gone!! It flew by so quickly and now it's Friday night...we leave for Cabo tomorrow morning and I've just begun to pack. :rotfl2:Suffice it to say I "lied" again and this won't get finished til we get back :sad2:

I know....I suck.....I'll leave you with this teaser: last sea day involves back to back tastings and an ice cream cone to the face (and yes I have photos). :rotfl:

Have a great trip!

Thank you!! Not only am I woefully behind on my own TR, I am behind on your current one as well!! I'm planning on lots of time in a deck chair by the pool on this trip so while I won't be updating my own, hopefully I can log into the Dis and catch up with yours (among others). :cheer2:

I don't know where this week has gone!! It flew by so quickly and now it's Friday night...we leave for Cabo tomorrow morning and I've just begun to pack. :rotfl2:Suffice it to say I "lied" again and this won't get finished til we get back :sad2:

I know....I suck.....I'll leave you with this teaser: last sea day involves back to back tastings and an ice cream cone to the face (and yes I have photos). :rotfl:

Have an awesome trip to cabo!! :beach:

Ok I'm caught up, yay! The jeep trip and canoe ride look great, sorry to hear your DD's didn't fare well on the drive, getting sick is never fun!

I am just SO jealous of your gorgeous weather, we had a week on solid rain on ours :sigh: I guess an excuse to go back on another cruise right?!

That coffee looks so great :)

Have a wonderful trip and look forward to more of this report when you get back!

Just joined your trip report. Your girls pictures from the BBB are priceless. If my hair was that tight I would probably cry, too. Brings back memories of past ballet recitals!! Love all of the pictures-lake shot with canoes looks beautiful!! Ketchikan looks so neat!! We might have to do this on our upcoming trip. Thank you for sharing your memories!

Just joined your trip report. Your girls pictures from the BBB are priceless. If my hair was that tight I would probably cry, too. Brings back memories of past ballet recitals!! Love all of the pictures-lake shot with canoes looks beautiful!! Ketchikan looks so neat!! We might have to do this on our upcoming trip. Thank you for sharing your memories!

Thank you for your lovely remarks and reading my report! Also thank you for reminding me I STILL need to write about our last day!!! This time last year we were on our last sea day of this cruise!! So I should probably finish it up tonight :rotfl:

Maybe set yourself the goal of getting this one done before your next cruise starts? :rotfl: :thumbsup2

Well considering we've already been on one cruise since this one I think that ship has sailed :boat::rotfl::rotfl: Next cruise in 50 days....so there...that's the goal! Before late October :thumbsup2:rotfl::rotfl:

Here it is.....the last day of our Alaskan cruise. Bet you thought this would NEVER get completed? If you thought that, you are not alone and I don't blame you one bit. If you thought I would actually think I'd finish it, bless you for having the confidence in myself that I don't always have!

So, its a sea day. And it's time for a princess gathering. Youngest DD, of course, had no interest in being on film or seeing princesses "again".....so it was DD9 and myself off to see the lovely ladies.
AKlast1.jpg AKlast3.jpg AKlastariel.jpg AKlastbelle.jpg

Now of course since it's taken me a year to complete this report my mind is a little fuzzy on some details lol:rotfl2: Or should I say, fuzzy on the correct order of events on that last day.

So let's see some beautiful BC scenery, first!
AKlast5.jpg AKlast6.jpg AKlast7.jpg AKlast8.jpg AKlast9.jpg AKlast10.jpg

Next up, we say goodbye to some real characters :wave2::smickey:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter