4 Newbies and 1 Good-As: A February 2024 Lessons Learned TR COMPLETE 4/20/24

Still, TT's fine if the wait’s not too long, but I don’t consider this a must-do.
I agree! TT has always been a maybe for us since having kids, and that means we haven't made it there since we had kids. I'd like to ride it again some day but it's not an every-trip ride for us.
In hindsight, I think this was my favorite day of the week. I love Epcot and hope we can spend 2 days there next time we go.
Yes! I really struggled on this last trip. We decided to give HS a 2nd park day instead of Epcot and I kept flip-flopping on that decision. Exactly like you described, I always wish I had more time to just explore the WS, watch shows, shop, etc. I am always shocked by the people who call Epcot a half day park - you can't see everything in one full day!

My take on TT: I prefer Radiator Springs Racers at Disneyland. I’m more of a theming fan and don’t really care about the design part/“road testing.” RSR has really cute ride vehicles and the theming scenery is much more interesting. Still, TT's fine if the wait’s not too long, but I don’t consider this a must-do.
We will be in Disneyland in two weeks and we've never been there before. Your comment makes me think that we should include RSR in our list of rides to do in a very short one day visit. :)
Journey of Water was on the way, and since we had a good amount of time left on our Soarin' return time, we walked through it. It’s really cool! DD4 enjoyed the interactive water features.
Journey of Water is perfect for kids. I'm glad to hear that there were considerate guests who made room for your daughter.
It is VERY GOOD that DH had a hand free, because he caught a runaway stroller with a sleepy child inside it! The family (multigeneration, they all had matching shirts) had paused to consult the map or make their plans or something. I’m sure they felt the ground where they were was even enough, to let go of the stroller, but… it wasn’t!
I hope the family was appropriately grateful that your husband was at the right place at the right time. :)
DD4 later said she enjoyed this; I’d described it as “a giant swing” and that satisfied her. This was maybe her 2nd favorite EP ride after FEA.
very smart to call it a giant swing
We continued around to the VQ side, which at this point was a far shorter line than ILL. I felt so bad for the ILL people! 3 hours' worth of ILLs who were owed their spot that they paid for, but also… well as DH likes to say, “It’s better to be lucky than good.”
The ILL line was longer than the VQ when we went to Guardians. I would be a little angry if I had paid for a ILL.

Really enjoying your trip report! And the gifs are a great touch.

I also started DD with Barnstormer and it was awful, she swore off roller coasters for two years. To be fair, I also hate Barnstormer. It’s short, choppy, and somehow manages to be not fun. I finally talked DD into trying roller coasters again when she was 6 and we went on 7 Dwarves. She absolutely loved it, it’s way smoother and her ride pic is just a huge grin from ear to ear. Since then she’s conquered them all except for Rockn Rollercoaster. Oh and she loves Barnstormer now, but she’s old enough to go by herself now so I no longer am paying for my chiropractor’s kids’ college fund. Slinky and 7 Dwarves are her favs. Long story short - I recommend trying 7 Dwarves on your next trip instead of Barnstormer :) or gadgetcoaster if you make your way to Disneyland Anaheim instead.

I don’t miss the days of potty drama, your writing is so awesome that it brought back all the memories. Non-flushing toilets DD would use were the ones at Yacht Club lobby (very quiet and clean and relaxing) the ones by ABC Commissary (not quiet, or relaxing, cleanliness is okay given the volume of people).

We will be in Disneyland in two weeks and we've never been there before. Your comment makes me think that we should include RSR in our list of rides to do in a very short one day visit. :)
Oh, definitely give it a shot! DH and I were traveling with some of my friends (actually, the same college friends I'd gone to WDW with in 2008) and one of them was our trip planner--she knew to RD it. I'm not sure if they're doing ILL for it but I think it wasn't included in Genie+/LLs.

I hope the family was appropriately grateful that your husband was at the right place at the right time. :)
They were very grateful! Actually, a young boy who was about 10 was the most profuse with his thanks--I wonder if he'd been instructed to mind his younger sibling and go distracted.

The ILL line was longer than the VQ when we went to Guardians. I would be a little angry if I had paid for a ILL.

I would be, too, honestly! I did still feel really bad for everyone who'd paid.

Really enjoying your trip report! And the gifs are a great touch.
Thank you!

I also started DD with Barnstormer and it was awful, she swore off roller coasters for two years. To be fair, I also hate Barnstormer. It’s short, choppy, and somehow manages to be not fun. I finally talked DD into trying roller coasters again when she was 6 and we went on 7 Dwarves. She absolutely loved it, it’s way smoother and her ride pic is just a huge grin from ear to ear. Since then she’s conquered them all except for Rockn Rollercoaster. Oh and she loves Barnstormer now, but she’s old enough to go by herself now so I no longer am paying for my chiropractor’s kids’ college fund. Slinky and 7 Dwarves are her favs. Long story short - I recommend trying 7 Dwarves on your next trip instead of Barnstormer :) or gadgetcoaster if you make your way to Disneyland Anaheim instead.

Ooh, thanks for the tips! I am really hopeful that whenever we make it there next, she'll be willing to do 7 Dwarves. I'm not a fan of jerky coasters, either, so I can't blame her for not liking them.

And thanks for the Gadgetcoaster rec! No idea when we'll make it to DLR again, but we do want to take DD4 sometime, too.

I don’t miss the days of potty drama, your writing is so awesome that it brought back all the memories. Non-flushing toilets DD would use were the ones at Yacht Club lobby (very quiet and clean and relaxing) the ones by ABC Commissary (not quiet, or relaxing, cleanliness is okay given the volume of people).

Ooh, we were at Yacht Club for our A&C ADR, of course, but DD4 didn't have to go then (she'd gone back at the hotel and can easily last for 4+ hours after). I dearly hope we'll be past the potty drama too by the time we make it back, but I'll keep these in mind! Thanks!

Day 4: Wednesday February 21: Break Day! (DS and Pool)

Wednesday was our rest day! When I’d come in 2008 with my friends this was the approach we took—2 full days in the parks, a rest day in the middle, 2 more full days. It worked well for young 20-somethings. I figured it’d work well for some mumble-somethings, some mutter-somethings, and a 4yo. We had an ADR for City Works in the late afternoon but that was our only set plan.

I still woke up at 5-something because my body sucks that way, but I didn’t get out of bed till close to 6. I’d had a vague idea of heading to the Joffrey’s by the Skyliner and theoretically this would’ve been a good morning to do so, but then I thought how that would require walking and I decided not to.

tiredcat.gif

But I enjoyed having a morning of not needing to buy G+, set up party for VQ, or try to join VQ and choose LLs.

It worked out well because on Sunday, our travel day, I received an email with proofs I needed to approve of a story I had coming out, with a due date of EOD Wednesday. I rightly assumed I wouldn’t have time Sunday-Tuesday, so I was glad our plans allowed me to get those done. And that I had my iPad to look over the PDFs instead of just my phone.

The story’s pretty short, so I got the proofs checked and approved with maybe 10 minutes of focused, no-distractions effort. (Hard to come by at WDW!)

I think DH and DD4 were waking up by 7:00 or 7:30. We had a slow morning and leisurely breakfast from our groceries (yogurt, fruit, cereal bars, etc.). Our tentative plans were to head to Disney Springs. DD4 also wanted to go to the pool. She’d had some private swimming lessons the previous summer but since she takes so long to warm up to people, hadn’t trusted the instructor enough to let the instructor "swim" her in the pool (vs pulling her on a float) till around lesson 6 of 8.

So! Since she was expressing an interest in trying more we wanted to support that. But it was still a little cold so DH and I decided we’d head to DS for a bit, get me replacement sunglasses since I’d lost mine the previous day, hit up Gideon’s (that was the main thing I wanted to do at DS) then see where we were at re: returning to CBR for a swim.

sounds like a plan.gif

MIL and FIL didn’t want to go quite as early, so around 10:30 DH, DD4, and I headed to the bus stop to catch the DS bus.

As I said, our set plans consisted solely of City Works, selected because DH is a beer aficionado and it had a children’s menu DD4 would like. I’m more of a wine person and would’ve liked Wine Bar George but the kids’ menu was a bit lacking. Maybe another time!

I think we were at DS by 11:00 or a little later. We walked some, noting Chicken Guy as we passed, looking for a place where I could get new sunglasses. Like I mentioned, my previous pair was a $20 pair from Wal-Mart. I’m not precious about them and didn’t like having to pay DS prices, but eventually found an acceptable pair at Planet Hollywood for $30. DD4 picked out a souvenir, I think a yellow (her favorite color) ball of some sort which I believe has already gotten lost.

wompwomp.gif

She then started saying she was hungry. We headed back to Chicken Guy after confirming we could get her beloved mac & cheese (yes, DD4 is a stereotypical 4yo in terms of her tastes).

I actually hadn’t looked up anything about Chicken Guy in advance so it was a small surprise to us that this is a Guy Fieri restaurant!

We ordered: 3 tender meal for me with side of fried pickle chips. 4 tender and coleslaw for Taber. Mac & cheese and fries for Nova though she tried some chicken and pickle. Bbq sauce, sweet & sour sauce, honey mustard, ranch for pickle chips.

As I recall the sweet and sour was the only sauce I felt a little meh about, though I think that’s because I decided it didn’t meld/go with the chicken that well. My fault for picking it!

But the chicken strips were very good, especially for QS. The tenders were actually tender and fresh, not ones sitting under a heat lamp for an hour. DD4 also enjoyed her Mac & cheese.

But of course I didn’t get pictures of any of it.

nopicture.jpg

We hit up the restroom (DD4 and I had a 10-minute wait, the reason for which came clear when a lone mom emerged with her 3 (4?) children. Oof. My hat is off to you, fellow mom!)

Bellies full, it was time to head to my main DS goal, Gideon’s! After seeing it pop up on so many TRs and reading more about the goth vibes, I knew I had to try it. (I'm not an outright goth, but I generally write SFF so there's some crossover in fandoms.) DH is also a casual Tim Burton fan, so I got him onboard by likening it to Edward Scissorhands, Beetlejuice, etc.

Plus, we are a cookie-loving family.

We made our way to Gideon’s. I think we arrived by around 12:00. We were told it was a 30-minute wait and that wait was on the shorter end for them. I have a higher line tolerance than DH so wasn’t too bothered by it, but after the Frozen wait the day before I didn’t think he was that super-keen to wait 30 minutes for cookies.

However we weren’t sure we’d make it back if we left, so wait we did, and all of us were glad for it!

Behold, the first rest day picture I took!
IMG_0132.JPG

We got 5 cookies, planning to share among the five of us: classic choc chip, banana bread choc chip, coffee cake, and the February seasonals, strawberry delight, Eternal Flame.

But they are food and so I have no pictures.

Showing admirable restraint, we tried none of them right then, but it was neat just to look around the shop.

Behold, the last rest day pictures I took!
IMG_0134.JPG
IMG_0135.JPG
So dark! So gothy!

The trading cards they give you are cool, too.

DD4 still wanted to swim at the pool, so we headed back to the bus stop. While we were waiting, we got a text from MIL and FIL that they’d just arrived at DS and wanted to know where to find us. We texted back that we were waiting for the bus since DD4 wanted to swim.

We texted back and forth to get the lack-of-meetup sorted, with MIL and FIL saying they’d try to make it back to the bus stop. (They didn’t have any interest in shopping by themselves.)

I was also keeping an eye on later dining availability for City Works and went ahead and changed it from 4 to 5. That turned out to be a good call; DD4 wouldn’t have had much time to swim otherwise.

MIL and FIL didn’t make it to the bus stop before the CBR bus came. We got on anyway since we needed time to get ready for swimming.

catreadytoswim.gif

I think we were leaving around 1:30, back to the room by 2, and at the pool right around 2:30. That left us with a good hour for swimming, then a half hour for clean up before heading back to DS for City Works.
(DH and I had also looked at the map and while we didn’t walk to CW during our morning/early afternoon, we confirmed landmark locations and were sure we knew how to get there.)

It all went to plan! I think DH, DD4, and I arrived at the pool just 10-15 minutes before MIL and FIL (they weren’t swimming so didn’t need to change or apply as much sunscreen). They kept an eye on our things and I think read a bit while DH and I were in the pool with DD4.

She had a great time swimming! I think I mentioned earlier she’d done some swimming lessons, and she was at least more adventurous than the last time we took her ourselves. She’d previously only wanted to be pulled around on a float, but this time with her water wings she was willing to try kicking and “swimming” a short distance from one of us to the other. She still hasn’t gotten the hang of holding her breath and doesn’t like getting her face wet, but hey, it’s progress!

At 3:30 we headed back to the room, cleaned up some, and then we’re headed back to the bus stop by 4. I was really glad I changed the reservation time. If I hadn’t DD4 would’ve had 30 minutes at best for swimming, then we would’ve had to rush to City Works. This way, we weren’t in a rush and I think we checked in at 4:50 or a little after.

I don’t remember exactly what everyone got, but in terms of drinks, both MIL and I got a black cherry cider, I think it was (though she did just a taster size). DH got an IPA of some sort and maybe FIL did too.

But as far as actual food? Memory is gone, though I’m sure mac & cheese was on the kids’ menu and DD4 got that.

jesusmacandcheese.gif
DD4 is a fairly egalitarian mac & cheese connoisseur, but perhaps that's only because she's not yet tried Jesus's grandma's mac.

I think it was around this time I realized I was getting a sore throat, but I brushed it off. (This comes up later, unfortunately.)

We headed back to the hotel by 6:30, when crowds were heading into DS. Fine by us to miss those!

DD4 was asking for a Mickey Bar, so once we got back to CBR DH and I left her with MIL and FIL (her request) while we walked to the mercantile to get her one.

It was a nice walk; at dinner MIL and FIL said they’d spent the morning walking around the resort and enjoyed it. DH and I hadn't been able to explore the resort at all so we liked having even this short time to do so. We took note of the playground, which DD4 would’ve enjoyed but it was of course closed since it was past 7 by that point, and we had no time to go during the rest of the trip. I think next time I want to build in more time just to explore the resort.

Mickey bar procured, we headed back to the rooms. DD4 made short work of it.

The adults split part of the classic chocolate chip and banana bread cookie from Gideon's, and also finished the last of the Mickey celebration cake we'd gotten at A&C.

Cookie verdict: both were very good! I wasn’t sure how I’d like the covered-in-chips aspect; if I eat a cookie I also want to taste cookie. But I understand why these are so popular!

Of the two I give the edge to the banana bread since the flavor profile is a tad more complex. But neither of those wound up being my favorite cookie of the bunch; stay tuned for that!

Because it was lights off by 9 to rest up for our day at HS.

Day 4 Lessons Learned (and ReLearned)
  • Rest days remain a solid choice, especially when traveling with a young child who still requires a lot of sleep.
  • ABC (always buy cookies!)
  • Consider a rest day devoted to resort-exploring, your own or another!
  • If travel is required for an ADR, probably best to have it later in the day to ensure you complete all your exploring and playing first. (Also if the pool is involved and it’s winter, plan on afternoon pool time for warmer swimming weather; adjust any ADRs or other reservations accordingly)
Up Next: Hollywood Studios!

We made our way to Gideon’s. I think we arrived by around 12:00. We were told it was a 30-minute wait and that wait was on the shorter end for them. I have a higher line tolerance than DH so wasn’t too bothered by it, but after the Frozen wait the day before I didn’t think he was that super-keen to wait 30 minutes for cookies.
I've never been to Gideon's but I have read lots of reports about it. Thirty minutes is a really short wait time from what I've read. :)

I like your lessons learned daily reports. :)

I've never been to Gideon's but I have read lots of reports about it. Thirty minutes is a really short wait time from what I've read. :)
Yeah, that’s what we’d gathered! I’d read a bit about how sometimes a VQ is instituted but wasn’t sure how long line would have to get for that to start. We really lucked out!

I like your lessons learned daily reports. :)
Thank you, glad you’re enjoying them!

Glad your daughter enjoyed her pool time! I think our plan is for an afternoon break each day to rest and swim vs. one full rest day... But we may have one sleep in morning too!

Glad your daughter enjoyed her pool time! I think our plan is for an afternoon break each day to rest and swim vs. one full rest day... But we may have one sleep in morning too!
Awesome! Those sound like great plans. :)

We wound up deciding that the time back-and-forth from the park to the room would be more than we wanted to spend each day, especially since we'd decided against super-late nights, but we may shift to afternoon breaks and/or late starts if we manage a longer trip and can have more than one day at at least some of the parks.

Day 5: Thursday February 22: Hollywood Studios (Part 1 of X)
Originally during our week at WDW, Hollywood Studios was supposed to open a half-hour later than MK and Epcot had, and I’d been planning on a somewhat leisurely morning, but about a week before our trip Disney changed the schedule so that HS was opening at 9 instead of 9:30, with EE at 8:30, which meant roughly the same wakeup time as on Monday/Tuesday.

I mean, either way I woke at 5-something, like usual, so it’s not like the missing half-hour really affected me. (My Genie+ receipt that morning is 5:18am.)

But it meant another morning of rushing out for RD. Early mornings by myself I don’t mind, but prodding a 4-year-old to get ready for whatever it is, from preschool to a doctor’s appointment to, yes, Disney, can get wearying.

get your shoes on.gif

But still, I was relieved that I’d have only LLs to get and no VQs! It was my chance to shine and get a coveted Slinky Dog LL! And maybe it’d even be before 11 so we could attempt a better go of churning LLs than we’d managed thus far! I was ready!

ready to play.gif

I got Slinky set up in the Tip Board so I wouldn’t have to scroll for it, plus my backup, MMRR. I used time.gov and hit refresh on Slinky at 6:59:59.

And I got this:

refresh.gif

First time I’d gotten the scrolly refresh wheel in the morning. D’oh!

By the time Slinky finished refreshing times were already at the 2pm hour. I pivoted to MMRR since after DD4’s Barnstormer experience I didn’t think Slinky was a priority for her, and I wanted to churn! Those! LLs!

I got 10:30.

We didn’t need to leave the room till like 8:15. I had time! Was I feeling lucky? Not particularly, but I played the Modify slots anyway, saw a 10, tried for it, bumped us to 12-something (you knew that was coming, right?), and did some panicked refreshing till 10:30 came up again and I snagged that.

Phew! (Or so I thought; this will come up again later.)

We finished getting ready and the 5 of us were leaving for the Skyliner by 7:15. The trip to HS is so short! We arrived at 7:28. Security was uneventful, and it was either around here (or maybe I’d had more time at the room?) that I looked at the Genie+ screen and saw it was on MMRR to confirm for 12:00 or something. What??? I checked “My Plans” and it still had MMRR for 10:30. Thinking the 12:00 was some weird glitch, but unwilling to cancel it entirely in case that somehow canceled the 10:30 LL, I went ahead and clicked through everything, checked my plans again, and… 10:30 still showed! Phew again. (This wasn’t the end of it. Maybe I should’ve tried going to guest services for help, but that didn’t occur to me at the time.)

With no Slinky LL, we had a decision to make: RD it or Rise? DH and I had done Rise at DLR so didn’t feel the need to pay for ILLs, or even that it was a must-do. MIL and FIL had stated little interest in Slinky OR Rise.

But I was thinking how they’d enjoyed Remy more than they thought, so I thought they might like Rise's trackless vehicle portion, and its theming is really impressive and worth seeing at least once, IMO. So between that and DD4’s dislike of Barnstormer, I suggested we head toward Rise.

This was the right call! Turned out Slinky was down. I’m not wholly sure if they managed a few rides or if it didn’t open at all, but MDE listed it as closed pretty early.

Meanwhile, DD4 was apprehensive about Rise. At 41 inches she was well tall enough for it, but she’d watched a ride through at least once and didn’t think she’d like it. But with some gentle cajoling we convinced her to try. By 8:06 we were going through the queue.
IMG_0139.jpg
IMG_0140.JPG
Whoa, this one's way blurrier than on my camera roll. Sorry!

IMG_0141.JPG

DH and I enjoyed, as we had at DLR! I think MIL and FIL appreciated the theming, though were a bit less enthralled at the storyline. DD4 managed all right, though her overall verdict is that she “doesn’t like Star Wars.” (We’ve never attempted to show her any of the movies. As she still sometimes cries at the mild peril of both Disney princess movies and Mickey Mouse Funhouse/Clubhouse, we figure we’ll wait another couple of years.)

But we all told her how brave she was and how proud of her we were for trying it.

Since we were in GE we did the natural thing and headed toward MF:SM.

IMG_0142.JPG

I told DD4 it was a simulator “like Mission Space,” which she’d said she’d liked/was "kind of gentle" at Epcot.* So she was willing to try MF, too. And I figured since the height requirement is lower than for Rise, it’s a gentler experience.

Since there were 5 of us, we were grouped with a single rider. She was very nice but had no opinion on what she wanted to do. At DLR, DH and I had been pilots. This skewed my memory so that I didn’t recall the interior of the simulator. DD4 wanted to stay next to me so I assigned us engineers (I figured pilot would be too stressful/scary), DH and FIL were the pilots, and MIL and the single rider were the gunners.

Like I said, I’d forgotten the interior. It has a wide aisle separating each pair (okay fine, I think it’s the console that separates the pilots, hence my forgetfulness), with it being widest at the rear. DD4 didn’t like being separated from me, with the result that this ride scared her more than Rise where she could stay near us the whole time, including being sandwiched between me and DH on the trackless vehicle.

I felt really bad. MIL (who was in the gunner seat in front of DD4) and I did our best to comfort her, and she didn’t outright cry, but she didn’t enjoy it at all. I think I convinced her to push a button one time? And I have no idea how the gunners and pilots did or what our group's performance was.

Anyway, the ride finished and we all repeated how brave she was, I apologized for forgetting she couldn’t sit right by me, and DD4 mostly shook it off. (But even now, she reiterates that she doesn’t like Star Wars, heh.)

Wanting DD4 to have a better experience after suffering through 2 things she didn’t really want to do, and seeing Olaf had a lower wait (10-15 minutes, maybe) we got in line for him. She had brought her Olaf bubble want and had fun showing it to him. He pointed at it, mimed the whole “It’s me!” thing, and gave hugs. DD4 doesn’t really know what to say to the characters so her interaction with him was brief, but it definitely put her in a better mood.

2024-02-22 - Disneys Hollywood Studios - Celebrity spotlightanon.jpg

2024-02-22 - Disneys Hollywood Studios - Celebrity spotlight_5.jpg

We'd remembered our autograph book today, but of course Olaf's stick arms can't sign. Still, we got his autograph card.

IMG_0329.JPG

Not quite at the photo limit, but this is a pretty good stopping point, so I'll pause here.

Next up: Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway! (and more Genie+ shenanigans)

Footnote
*We'll see if DD4 retains that assessment once she's tall enough to try the Orange side.

I felt really bad. MIL (who was in the gunner seat in front of DD4) and I did our best to comfort her, and she didn’t outright cry, but she didn’t enjoy it at all.
When my daughter was 5 she was so upset by this ride the CMs paused our ride part way through to check on her! I also think it was because she was an engineer and also far away from any adult who could comfort her.
She had brought her Olaf bubble want and had fun showing it to him. He pointed at it, mimed the whole “It’s me!” thing, and gave hugs. DD4 doesn’t really know what to say to the characters so her interaction with him was brief, but it definitely put her in a better mood.
Olaf is perfect for putting anyone in a better mood!

We had to leave millennium falcon as well when my daughter was 4. None of us had done it before and it was the last ride we were going to do before our afternoon break. So she was tired and then also didn't want to sit that far away from us!

Loving your report! It's nice to hear your lessons learned - what worked well and what didn't. Super interesting. :) Also your gif game is on point! Love it :)
Thank you for following along! (and for the gif compliment! :) )

When my daughter was 5 she was so upset by this ride the CMs paused our ride part way through to check on her! I also think it was because she was an engineer and also far away from any adult who could comfort her.

Olaf is perfect for putting anyone in a better mood!

We had to leave millennium falcon as well when my daughter was 4. None of us had done it before and it was the last ride we were going to do before our afternoon break. So she was tired and then also didn't want to sit that far away from us!
Oh wow, I somehow failed to catch any reports of younger children hating MF, but it seems pretty common! (And if I had remembered the separation aspect I'm sure I could've pieced it together. Or prepped her better, at the very least!!!)

Day 5: Thursday February 22: Hollywood Studios (Part 2 of X)

Once we said goodbye to Olaf and completed restroom breaks, we still had about a half-hour till we could tap in for MMRR. We hung out in front of the ride for a little. There was a PP photographer on the other side of some landscaping, and in hindsight I wish I’d made us all wait in line for it.

IMG_0148.JPG
I don't actually remember why I took this terrible picture, but it works as an even more terrible visual aid

We had time to kill, and it would’ve been an opportunity to get more group pictures, of which we had very few. But I think we lost motivation to circle around the landscaping. Oh well.

At around 10:25 we headed to the tapstiles. I tapped in myself and DD4. DH was right behind us. I’d started to continue on back when I realized MIL and FIL had gotten held up. I double-backed and asked what was wrong. The CM said they were trying to tap in “An hour and thirty minutes early.” What? I explained I’d made the LLs for us all at the same time, as a group, to which the CM said that was “odd,” in the sort of tone that implied he didn’t believe me but was being polite.

really.gif

Because 3 of us had the earlier time, he let MIL and FIL come with us, but said that if something like that happened again we needed to go with the later group. Well, I hadn’t even realized we had a later group! MIL does have her own MDE account (FIL is under hers), but since I was handling all the LL bookings and she had a MagicBand, she wasn’t really checking it during the day.

It took me a bit to sort out what I think happened. (As in, I was thinking about this still days later.) I think sometime during my use of Modify, the availability switched again between the selection tap and confirmation tap, so that it somehow split our group and DD4, DH, and I got the 10:30 time, but MIL and FIL didn’t have a time selected at all—until I hit the “confirm” on that Genie+ screen that’d been sitting for however long. But because I was signed into to my account, the My Plans screen defaulted to showing my plans alone, making me think 10:30 applied to everyone. (If I’d looked closer it probably would’ve shown just the three of us, but I was in a rush the whole time.)

It was VERY weird. I don’t think there’s anyway I would’ve deliberately set up me, DH, and DD4 as a party by ourselves. The only time I’d split our party of 5 in the app was for the VQs, when it was me, DH, and FIL. All LLs I left the 5 of us as the default. But DD4 tapped in with her MagicBand to MMRR no problem, so all I can conclude is that the MDE gremlins were doing shenanigans.
gremlins.gif
MDE gremlins observing the results of their interference

Anyway, that never happened again, but it further put me off trying to use modify.

As for the ride itself, it’s very fun! I loved Daisy’s Dance School in particular. I do think this is the only ride where I wished I hadn’t watched the ride-through video with DD4 in advance—I think the element of surprise with getting washed into the ocean, etc., is probably really cool the first time. But it’s still a lot of fun regardless!

After MMRR I made us a LL for Alien SS. Another bathroom break, and we headed for TSL.

Checking the app we saw Slinky was back up!

IMG_0149.JPG

With a 30-minute posted wait! We decided to ditch Alien (I think I modified to TSMM at 4-something) because we didn’t think the line would shorten again before we left the park.

MIL was a little apprehensive but joined us, and despite the Barnstormer DD4 was willing to try Slinky “like her light-up Slinky Dog.”

The posted wait had increased to 60 min by the time our slow-moving party got there. We had a 12:20 Sci Fi Dine In ADR, but it was around 11:00 and we figured we had enough time, and again, the Slinky line wasn’t going to decrease any time soon. We hopped in the queue.

IMG_0152.JPG

The 60 minutes was a lie.

When we hit the 60-minute mark, we still couldn’t see the loading area. We debated ditching because the standby line seemed to stop moving entirely at times (not due to more breakdowns, we don’t think, but due to 3 hours' worth of LL people dropping in now the ride was back up), and of course we had the Sci Fi Dine In. I tried to modify the ADR but couldn’t since we were within 2 hours. (And I know it’s a popular one so probably wouldn’t have had other available spots anyway.)

I tried to call Disney Dining to see if the ADR could be delayed. Eternal hold music.

on hold.gif

Meanwhile, DD4 was getting increasingly squirmy. She needed to go potty. We asked if she could hold it. She thought she could.

We’d made it to the last aisle before the loading area when DD4 felt she couldn’t hold it any longer.

WELP!

I hung up the still-on-hold Dining call. I figured she and I were going to miss the ride entirely, but I also didn’t want an accident. I picked her up, called out “Sorry, potty emergency” as loud as I (politely) could, and started making our way past the fellow guests.

emergency.gif

I was surprised at how nice everyone was about it! (Maybe I’ve gotten overly critical of humanity.) I thought they’d assume I was trying to get out of the wait, but then again I’d also said “we need to get out” a few times so I guess they understood I was trying to avoid an accident, not cheat the line. Anyway, all the guests were kind about making room, and one taller gentleman even called ahead of us that a “potty emergency was coming through,” which helped clear things in advance.

We reached the metering CM at the last stop before the loading area, I explained we had a potty emergency and needed out of the line—but he pointed me to the loading area, where they had a companion restroom! They were going to let us use it while the rest of our party went through the line, then we could join up and still ride.

It all worked! DD4 used the potty (and felt much better) and by the time she was done, DH, MIL, and FIL had finished waiting and were ready to board.

We were directed to the first 3 rows (my and DH’s front row luck in play!) only DD4 wanted to ride with me and did not want the front row. After a bit of debate MIL, who’s not a coaster/thrill ride fan, picked DH to ride with and braved the front.

Now, I wasn’t sure what to expect with DD4 after Barnstormer. But whether it was her literal relief seconds before, or playing with her SD toy, or just having gotten used to the theme park experience, she loved it. Far from her Michael Scott grimace on the Barnstormer, every time I glanced over at her she was more like this:

star-eyes-sailor-moon-ep01.jpg

Here at home, she wants to play Slinky Dog at least every other day, whether it’s just pretending we’re at the park and “on our way” to it, or if we pull up a ride video and raise our arms and lean in time to the turns. She loves that ride!

DH and I may have a coaster fan on our hands after all! *sniff

2024-02-22 - Disneys Hollywood Studios - Slinky dog dashanon.jpg

As for MIL, I think she would happily pass on it next time. But it was nice that she tried!

2024-02-22 - Disneys Hollywood Studios - Slinky dog dash_2.jpeg

DH, FIL, and I all enjoyed it more than the Barnstormer, but yeah. In the future I would love NOT to wait 80 minutes for this ride! I’d do 30 minutes but any longer than that means I’m staying for love of the member of my traveling party who really wants to ride. (Actually, that was the case with several of our waits this trip!)

Photo limit! And also stopping here to take care of some other things today.

Up next: Do we make our Sci Fi ADR?

We had time to kill, and it would’ve been an opportunity to get more group pictures, of which we had very few. But I think we lost motivation to circle around the landscaping. Oh well.
Ooooh i feel this...it's *right there* but you'd have to walk slightly out of your way and it's like "nope, not doing that" LOL
We reached the metering CM at the last stop before the loading area, I explained we had a potty emergency and needed out of the line—but he pointed me to the loading area, where they had a companion restroom! They were going to let us use it while the rest of our party went through the line, then we could join up and still ride.
That's awesome! I didn't realize they had a restroom there. I'm so glad you didn't have to miss it after waiting all that time!
Now, I wasn’t sure what to expect with DD4 after Barnstormer. But whether it was her literal relief seconds before, or playing with her SD toy, or just having gotten used to the theme park experience, she loved it. Far from her Michael Scott grimace on the Barnstormer, every time I glanced over at her she was more like this:
Yay! I'm so glad she liked it!!!!

I'm so glad to hear they had a bathroom up there for you all! What a relief that must have been, in many ways!
But whether it was her literal relief seconds before, or playing with her SD toy, or just having gotten used to the theme park experience, she loved it.
I'm so glad she loved it!
Up next: Do we make our Sci Fi ADR?
I sure hope so, I know how stressful it is to make the ADRs when your ride or activity ends up with a much longer wait than anticipated. We had a couple moments like this on our trip too.

The mix up with the different boarding times was really weird. It sounds like a Disney glitch.
It was SUPER weird! Like somehow our F&F connections stopped working for a bit? I don't know. Luckily I never had issues like that again (though I also didn't get to use Genie+ much for the rest of the day, sigh).

Ooooh i feel this...it's *right there* but you'd have to walk slightly out of your way and it's like "nope, not doing that" LOL
Definitely a case where you (well, I) keep thinking "The shortest path from Point A to Point B is a straight line, not a curve! I can't handle a curve right now!"

That's awesome! I didn't realize they had a restroom there. I'm so glad you didn't have to miss it after waiting all that time!

Yay! I'm so glad she liked it!!!!

I'm so glad to hear they had a bathroom up there for you all! What a relief that must have been, in many ways!

I'm so glad she loved it!

Great to know there is a washroom there, and yay! So glad your daughter liked it (sorry MIL!) Sounds like a perfect time to take a break at Sci-Fi!

Yeah! It's not shown on the map (I just checked with the restrooms filter on) so maybe it's generally supposed to be reserved for the CMs' use? But it was definitely one of the bigger accessible/companion-size restrooms. So grateful they let us use it! DD4 (and I) wouldn't have been able to ride otherwise, because we were not doing that line again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter