4 Adults in 1 Stateroom?

DCcruiser

Earning My Ears
Hi all,

First time cruiser here, so forgive me if this question seems obvious.

My SO and I are attending a wedding on a Disney cruise this fall (a 3 day cruise on Disney Dream). Two friends of ours, also a couple, want to split one room between the four of us in order to save money. How possible is it to fit 4 grown adults in the indoor stateroom? I imagine it would be 2 people in the queen bed, 1 on the couch, and one on the wall pull-out bed. Do the two single beds fit adults, or are they purely for kids?

If we're going based on affordability, is it possible to fit 4 people in a room, or do we really not have a choice to book either the family room or 2 rooms? I'm less price sensitive than the others, so it isn't totally up to me, but I'd like to know all the options. :)

Thanks!

(Edited to be a little clearer)

Last edited:
The sofa and pull down are capable of accommodating an adult of average size. The bunk does have a 220lb weight limit. I'm 5ft 6 and was fine up there when I had to be.

The inside rooms have a queen bed, a twin sofa bed, and a pull down bunk from the ceiling (right over the twin sofa bed.)

Standard inside, the room is 169 sq ft and 1 bathroom
Deluxe inside, room is 204 sq ft with a split bathroom (toilet/sink in 1 room; sink/shower in the other.)

If you go up to a 'family oceanview', you will likely get the wall pull down (vs. ceiling pull down) as well as the sofa bed. Family oceanview has 241 sq ft and a split bathroom.

If they are making you share a room--they should be the ones sleeping in the twins/bunk beds. I don't think there is much of a price difference on the Dream between categories. I think a 'standard inside' would be awfully tight for 4 adults. I'd probably go up to a 'family' level oceanview or verandah as I don't know how many adults like sleeping in a top bunk...I guess it depends upon their ages!

Edit: I just checked a couple sailings in the Fall--unless it's Columbus Day weekend, it's only about $150 more to go from a standard inside to a family oceanview. It's definitely worth it to get more space and not have to climb up into a bunk.

Last edited:
I think that'll be really cramped. Cabins on ships are not very big, I couldn't really imagine putting 4 people into one little room, especially an indoor cabin. But it is physically doable, everyone will have a sleeping space. It's only three days so you wouldn't have to suffer too much. If you don't share the room would your friends not be able to go? If that's the case I'd suck it up and share the room. If they'd still be able to go without you splitting the cost then I'd say two rooms is much more preferable.

First of all, the website won't allow you to book a room for 4 that doesn't have 4 beds, so start there. There may not be any inside rooms left on your sailing that hold 4. If they do hold 4, you are correct, two will be in the form of a double bed and the other two will be singles.

As @Dug720, they are full sized beds with real mattresses, even the "sofa" bed (it is more like a bed with a back on it to use as a couch), up to the 220 lb weight limit. They are normal bed length which can be a bit short for tall people. There is a good amount of storage in the room, so that shouldn't be an issue, but if one of you is a light sleeper or sensitive to smells, etc. that could be an issue as this is a pretty small space.

One good thing is about showers. True there is only one shower in your room, but the locker rooms up by the fitness center are available for anyone 18 and older to use. They have free lockable lockers here and towels, and large well lit sinks/mirrors. The shower stalls are much bigger than the ones in the cabin too. My wife and I started bringing a bag with a change of clothes and other items up there to shower and get ready for dinner. It is more spacious than the cabin by far, and surprisingly uncrowded.

Price out the cat 10 deluxe inside cabins. At least they have a split bath. Make sure your friends know their share will be 1/2 of the total cruise cost, not just the 3rd and 4th person rates. I would not put 4 grown adults in a cat 11. One person is still going to climb up on the bunk bed.

I don't know if they have the wall pull down (aka murphy bed) for inside rooms. There is no way I would put 4 adults in an inside room. I wouldn't look at anything less than the Deluxe Family Oceanview, which can have the murphy bed. The inside rooms that sleep 4 have the bed out of the ceiling, which I wouldn't recommend for anything but a kid or very, small adult. The space up there is not huge and could be an issue, especially if you are claustrophobic. Plus inside rooms are small, with like 180-200 sq ft. The cheapest don't have the split bathroom, which would be a major issue with 4 adults. It is a problem with 2 adults and 2 children.

Since you are on a 3 day, it may be easier to absorb an inside room with 4 adults. But I'm not sure I could do it.

Oh, and make sure you all realize that there are auto-gratuities added to your bill at the end of the cruise to cover the server/asst. server/head server/stateroom host. With your friends being on a budget, they'll need to know about this extra cost. It's $12/person/day--so $36 for each person for a 3 nt cruise.

If I were you, I'd offer to pay that extra $150 or so to upgrade your room to a family oceanview on the condition that you and your SO get the queen bed. They should pay 1/2 the cost of what the standard inside was going to be for the 4 of you. (And you pay the other 1/2 and the $150.)

Just to chime in with everyone else, I would never put four adults in a standard inside stateroom (169 sq. ft.) unless you are trying to replicate life aboard a submarine! :crowded: (I say this as a former submarine sailor.)

At an absolute minimum, I would get the deluxe inside or deluxe oceanview stateroom (204 sq. ft.) with a split bath. Even better would be a deluxe family oceanview (241 sq. ft.).

For what it's worth, on our last couple of cruises on the Dream-class ships, we've decided it's worth it to go with the family-sized cabins for me, my wife, and 21-year old son.

My mom will be going along with us on our next cruise, and she will be in a standard inside stateroom by herself. I don't think you could comfortably put more than two adults in one of those.

I would really look into the pricing. As a example here are some prices for the Dream on Nov 2, 2018 (3 day cruise)

2 adults in Deluxe inside - $1,730. Two rooms = $3,460
2 adults in Deluxe oceanview - $1,736. Two rooms = $3,472
2 adults in Deluxe family oceanview - $1,796. Two rooms = $3,592
2 adults in Deluxe verandah - $1,832. Two rooms = $3,664
2 adults in Deluxe family verandah - $1,916. Two rooms = $3,832

4 adults in Deluxe inside - $2,789. Savings (vs two rooms) of $671
4 adults in Deluxe oceanview - $2,807. Savings of $665
4 adults in Deluxe family oceanview - $2,855. Savings of $737
4 adults in Deluxe verandah - $2,891. Savings of $773
4 adults in Deluxe family verandah - $3,095. Savings of $737.

I know it is only 3 days but I think it is well worth $700ish to have a separate room from another couple. Not only will that couple have to sleep in small twin size beds separately, but four adults will have to share one bathroom.... not cool with me.

I wouldn't do it. How good of friends are they? Have you traveled with them before and slept in the same room? My husband and I would just be too uncomfortable sharing a tiny room with others but we are used to our privacy. My husband would be mortified if he farted in the room with another couple. LOL Those rooms are really meant for 2 adults and 2 small children at best.

You are very kind to consider it. I would never do this because we are much too private but think you are a good friend to consider it. Good luck!

With the understanding that a Disney cruise is a somewhat expensive destination wedding, it may very well be worth your friends considering not attending if they need to jam 4 into an inside standard to afford it.

I would never sleep with 4 adults in any one cabin, NOW. But when we were in our late 20s we'd put 20 people in a condo meant for 8. Having a mattress was a boon. We slept 4 college girls in a inside Carnival stateroom. So it depends on where you fall on the life spectrum. I could see my millennials sleeping 4 in an inside. Probably have an agreement on who showers when and where since it's mixed couples. That would be the big drawback if you even consider it's feasible. Sharing a balcony would be a good option if the price difference works. Having the balcony to sit on makes a huge difference when others are sleeping or getting ready.

That's far too much togetherness for me, personally, even though it's a short trip. What are everyone's heights/weights? I mean, if it ends up that two non-partner males have to share the queen b/c they're both 6ft+, 250lb or the like - that's rather different than one couple getting the queen and the other the 2 singles. That's a LOT of togetherness in that bed, then, LOL!

FWIW, neither of my kids thought the singles were as long as their twin beds at home on the Wonder last month. DD is somewhere in the 5'10-5'11 range and had the sofabed. If you looked at them when they were opened up, the total length for the upper bunk is not as much as the sofabed. They may both be the same size mattress, but the 'beds' are not the same lengths. At least on the Wonder.

Having said all of the above, you'll survive (unless you're all 250lb+, 6ft+). As young adults, my sister and I roomed with my parents in tiny staterooms with the 2 bunks situation and zero storage. Disney insides are mansions compared to those.

I would tell them thanks but no thanks. If you don’t know them well before the cruise, you certainly would after. It’s one thing to be in a room with 4 when they are your kids, but I think it would be super awkward with another couple.

Just went on 7 day with DS and DDIL sharing room with me. They got the bed and I the sofa. The curtain divider worked well for privacy freeing up bathroom to shower and change clothes. I was comfortable enough but also keep in mind the habits of the other people. I work 3rd shift so I am up early and the kids like to sleep in. I watch tv and with the divider and low volume the kids slept through it. I had breakfast before they were even up. I had my shower the night before and laid my clothes out to avoid noise that might wake them. Factor in the consideration for others level when choosing to take on cabin mates.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter