4 16 Yr Guys--camping Alone For 3 Days..yes Or No?

Katie

DIS Veteran
My son and his 4 friends want to go camping this weekend. All the other parents have ok'd this. I laughed..and said NO way!

There will be NO adult supervison. The campsite is about 40 miles from home. They would eave Thursday night..and return Sunday sometime.

These kids are not bad kids..none of them have every been in any kind of trouble. But..I think..why tempt fate?

What do you all think...Am i being unfair?

I would say..a little immature. None of the guys are your typical 16 yr old, girl chasing,beer drinking..wild guys. In all honestly..I don't even know what they would do for 4 days?

I would worry about unsafe behavior..ie.jumping in the lake..off cliffs..ect, more than girls and alcohol. (definetely, not my kind of guys when I was 16).

Oh, sounds like fun! LOL, well, if you like camping. Humm, since they are my age, I really have no idea what to tell you! You could let them go, let them have fun, and maybe let them get into some trouble. But, if they are responsible, then no trouble may take place. I'd go either way with this one, it really depends on what your personal views are on the situation. Good luck!

if its a campground or state park, aren't they pretty much "patrolled". in state parks they have the rangers and in campgrounds they have rules and regulations and there are also tons of other campers around too.
I say let them go!

4 16 year olds alone for a weekend camping that far from home with no adults is just asking for problems, IMO. If they wantt o go camping so bad, pitch a tent in the backyard!

As someone whose familt camped alot growing up (which is why Pumbaa_ now only likes hotels ;)), we often came across groups of guys away for the weekend camping. They drank heavily, cruised for chickies, and were often load and boorish.

Most campgrounds will not let kids in without adult supervision. (I know I wouldn't want the liability of renting to 16 year olds!!!)

Can someone camp with them if they are so inclined? (I did this once with my cousin when she and her friends were seniors. They wanted to go away and I was a passable chaperone, what were they thinking!:p :p :p )

My husband and I think the same way you do..I am not sure that the STATE Campground..will even let 16 yrs have a camp site without someone over 18 present.

One of the boys does have an older brother that is 18..but he is trouble! Dropped out of school..and drinks..so..I DON"T want him to supervise!

I may let my DS go down and visit Friday ngiht..but return by curfew(1200).

I think it depends on the 16 year old.

I might have let my older DS do this, if he had wanted to.

Younger DS, who is now 16, NO WAY!!!!

I really like the idea of having a chaparone, a cousin, or someone who is not a parent, but is still old enough to have some mature judgement, but that the boys think is "cool".

Good luck!

Just my opinion, but I would not let a 16 year old go camping without an adult present.

Katie, make sure you post the outcome. I would love to know the outcome. (and how many discussions take place over the next week! LOL!)

Good luck!

I wouldn't let them. That's just me. I have no explanation except that I was 16 not too long ago.

<font color=navy>Mine are 14 & 13 now, and I know that if this were to come up when they turned 16, I'd tell them no.

I wouldn't go away for the weekend and leave them alone at home unsupervised, nor let them go out of town & stay in a hotel/motel for a weekend w/o adult supervision, and in my opinion, letting them go camping is much worse.

I'd probably end up going, too, and staying in a separate tent.

Nope. Not at 16. Too many things could come up.

Let us know what happens and good luck to you! If you say no, I'm sure life will be interesting at your house. :rolleyes:

Another vote for NO.... One night maybe.... maybe.... Too much could happen....

What springs to mind is those two teenage girls that got car jacked at 2 in the morning..... Why were they out so late???

Heck NO, I wouldn't even consider it. :)

Sixteen is way too young for four unsupervised kids to take a four-day trip alone. There is just so much that could possibly go wrong. I'd set 18 as a minimum age for a trip like that.

I think your compromise of letting him go hang out for an evening and come home is a good one. :)

Well, I sure wouldn't let a 16 year old female because of all the weirdos out there, so with equal rights and everything I would say no to a 16 year old male too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter