39.3 before Goofy - motivators welcome

Congrats on taking the first steps to a healthier you.

We sound similar, however I am 190. I have done 2 marathons, 1 Goofy, and numerous half marathons and other distances. I have also signed up for Goofy 2013, I may make it dopey but not sure yet.

I wish you good luck in your endevour!!!!! Check out the events page lots of support and info there.

Kim

Wow -- it's really hard for me to keep this up to date! A little embarrassed that it has been so long since I've posted... so let's see what's new.

I've been going to a new boot camp for the past week and a half and it has been GREAT! The instructor, Kelly, is amazing. She's funny, upbeat, friendly, and a real taskmistress. I've done harder workouts, but none that I really enjoyed. Another great thing -- I already know a few of the people in the class, and have one friend. Now, I never even learned another name at my old group workout... so clearly Kelly is creating a fun and friendly environment! It's from 6am - 7am on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, and I'm already planning on extending it past the end of the Groupon. Yeah, I'm sore the next day, but I'm also completely endorphined out and slightly giddy afterwards. So I call that a win!

I've been using MyFitnessPal faithfully, coming in under goal nearly every day. The days when I do a long workout I allow myself to go a bit over, but try not to eat all of my exercise calories. So far the scale is moving in the right direction.

Oh, and as for scales...

DH has been inspired to start using MFP as well... but he is a gadget freak and ended up buying a schmancy wi-fi scale which arrived today. Of course, my weight is THREE POUNDS HIGHER on that scale... Sigh. That said, I weighed in dressed (rather than, shall we say, just before showering?) and in the evening rather than first thing in the morning. So we'll see how tomorrow goes. But from my trusty old scale, I'm down a total of 12.6 pounds, which makes me feel pretty darn good.

I've also been making kale smoothies on Tuesdays and Thursdays (non boot camp mornings), and enjoying them. Yeah, they're still a bit weird, but tasty.

I still have the weird little injury in my glute/hip/hamstring area. It doesn't bother me too much if I run less than 5 miles, but anything more than that is painful. Things aren't looking so good for the Rock 'n' Roll Seattle Half Marathon in a week and a half. That said, all I care about is finishing. Gotta get that bling!

Way to go on the weight loss - that is awesome!

When is your Rock 'n' roll race?

Still following your journal. :flower3: :lmao: (my 5 year old chose that one!)

Way to go on the weight loss - that is awesome!

When is your Rock 'n' roll race?

Still following your journal. :flower3: :lmao: (my 5 year old chose that one!)

Thanks! Seattle Rock 'n' Roll is next Saturday. I know I'll be able to finish, but I expect to walk way more than I run. But who knows -- maybe I'll get caught up in the excitement. :)

Weighed in again using the fancy new scale on Friday -- in my usual morning time and (lack of) dress -- and was down a couple more pounds, putting me at 171.4! Very happy with that, even though part of me worries it's too much, too quickly. But I have been running short distances, going to boot camp three times/week, and staying on or under target with my food on MyFitnessPal, so I shouldn't worry so much. (Right?)

Went with DH to see a movie downtown today -- decided to walk rather than take the bus, which gave us a good brisk 85 minute 6 mile walk. Of course, then I devoured a bag of popcorn... popcorn::

The weather has turned strange -- it's weirdly warm and muggy but now super blustery. It feels like it's trying to storm. Frankly I think a thunderstorm would be pretty awesome right now!

Let's see... in other news, signed up for the Tinker Bell Half in January! Pretty excited about that. Assuming, of course, that I figure out what's wrong with my right leg....

How are things? I just read your journal and you have made some really good decisions that have produced good results! Good job!

Hi everyone! Sorry for having been A.W.O.L. for the last couple of weeks. Work has been seasonally hectic (our Fall apparel all launches today), which is just enough to keep me from getting online at home.

I'm happy to report, however, that things are going well -- even if my weight loss has slowed down a bit. I weighed in at 170.2 on Friday morning -- just a few ounces away from the 160s!!! I'm hoping that I'll be able to break through by the end of next week (after my pal TOM leaves :rotfl: ).

I had a very happily active June:

June_calendar.jpg

Yeah, I use stickers on my calendar to mark my workouts. So? It means that, at a glance, I can see that I did twelve boot camps (the animal stickers) and six runs (the smiley faces). Not so much running this month, sadly, but two of those smileys (the 2nd and the 23rd) were half marathons, so not too shabby.

I also decided to "re-enlist" in boot camp for the next session. It feels like a lot of money, but it makes me absurdly happy, so it's worth it. Besides, when we re-tested at the end of the four week session, I knocked 20 seconds off my mile PR, increased my "proper" pushups number from 3 to 10, and upped my sit-ups in a minute number from 20 to 25. I also increased the time I could hold a chair squat and a plank. So, yes, I got stronger in four weeks.

I did do less running -- in part because of boot camp, I think -- but I ran my third fastest ever half marathon at Rock 'n' Roll Seattle. Now, I'm still slow, but getting around the course in 2:29 despite limping up the hills (that darn sore hamstring, again) and stopping for several minutes at an aid station while my sweet husband "tailored" my top (read: cut off the long sleeves) when I was overheating at mile 4.

SRnR6.jpg

On the possibly less great side, the work stress meant I found myself snacking more at work. But here's one good thing: the snacks were healthy. I ate apples and almonds and yogurt rather than potato chips and candy. So I still ate too many calories, but at least those calories were "spent" on healthy choices. So it's still an improvement, right?

This week we'll be on hiatus from boot camp -- I'm going to try and make sure I get three runs in as well as at least one Zumba. I haven't managed to get to Zumba since the strange session (hooray for a punch card, rather than a monthly membership...).

In other projects/goals -- still working on finishing up the needlepoint. It's just the background that's left, which takes a surprisingly long time. I think I can get a lot done today -- it's only 2:16pm and I have done my "chores" (other than a couple of loads of laundry...).

I'm also using a groupon this week to have the tree in the front garden trimmed -- a long overdue project!

I hope everyone is having a great summer so far!

Got through the holiday week pretty well. I have been journaling faithfully with MyFitnessPal, staying within my calorie goals most days, and always hitting my FuelPoints goals. And I am thrilled to report that this morning I weighed in at 186.3 -- which puts me down 19.7 pounds!!

I also got the trees trimmed, which makes the garden look much tidier, and I finally finished the needlepoint project... and ordered the third and final kit in the series, the William Morris Fox... I expect to finish that in, oh, 2015...

Today DH and I are helping a friend who owns a bakery by working at a beer festival selling her amazing German pretzels. It means 12 hours on our feet, plus lots of dancing around to music and enjoying the sunshine... Hopefully that is enough activity to counteract all the pretzels and... well... beer... :)

Was so happy to get up a bit early today to go to Boot Camp! We had a week off before this session and I really missed it. So going back to the track and seeing my new friends was a real treat. Today we tested -- the mile run, pushups, sit-ups, planks, and squats -- and I was a bit better in everything but the run.

For some reason, as I rounded the last corner, I started catching up with one of the new women in the class. And for some reason, I thought, "Aww, I don't want to pass her."

Not that I'm super competitive... in fact, I'm probably overly careful about hurting anyone else's feelings. But when I heard my time for the mile I realized I really should have just finished at my pace rather than slow down. Oh well, it just means I will hopefully really improve by the end of the session!

I'm feeling super nervous about tomorrow... I am using a Groupon to try out CrossFit. I don't have a lot of upper body or core strength, and I'm worried I won't be able to do ANY of the exercises... So we'll see how it goes. I guess that's the reason for a Groupon. If I hate it after two weeks, I'm only out $25!

Balancing CrossFit on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons with boot camp on M-W-F morning will be, well, a challenge... But I knew that I wanted to stick with boot camp, so let's see how this goes, eh?

If I can use my arms tomorrow night, I'll post again...

OH! And in other news, I'm thrilled to report that I was this week's reigning "Biggest Loser" -- a surprising honor, when so many people are so active! I hope I can keep it up. :)

Went to CrossFit for the first time today... yeah, it's another "groupon" (well, in this case, an AmazonLocal voucher...). For 2 weeks of onboarding plus 2 weeks unlimited CrossFit.

After a little introduction about what CrossFit is, we did a group "Elements" warmup -- some stretches, some easy moves -- and then we did our first WOD:

5 burpees
7 squat jumps
9 sit-ups
a 200 yard run.

This series we repeated 4 times, with the goal of finishing it in under 15 minutes. Most of us were able to complete it easily, but one woman struggled. What was nice, however, was that the instructor had us all gather around and cheer her on.

After the WOD, we all gathered around again for a little chat. When we stood up, we had all left sweaty bum-prints on the floor. :)

My first thoughts:

- I am ashamed to admit that I was glad to see that I'm not the slowest or weakest in the class
- The 200-yard runs were weirdly tough
- Yes it was only really 40 minutes of working out today, but it was not as tough as Dillon's class

OH! The best part of all (and again, here's that "I'm the luckiest person in the world" bit...) was that my work pal Stacey was in the class! She, too, had bought the voucher to try it out. At the end of the class, Megan (the instructor) told us to have a goal. Not a "oooh, I want to get fit and toned" goal, but a "I want to run the Spartan run in September" sort of goal. Stacey and I looked at each other and then said, "Chin-up." So our goal is to be able to do a chin-up by the end.

So... boot camp tomorrow... we'll see how I feel tomorrow morning!

Thanks Terapin!

I should point out that I felt great on Wednesday... but started feeling stiff in my shoulders that night. But the weather was so gorgeous this morning that -- though I was feeling a bit stiff and sore -- I wanted to get up and run. So after making today's delicious smoothies (kale, banana, strawberry, blueberry, raspberry) I packed up some things and headed out.

My legs were really stiff at the start of the run, but then I warmed up and felt okay. Not much else to report there... other than the fact that, being a fool, I didn't stretch when I got to the car. Nor did I stretch when I was in the shower at work. Nor did I stretch ALL DAY.

So my hamstrings got stiffer and stiffer and the day progressed. Neato. That said, it's not that unusual to see people limping or moving stiffly around the office...

Then home, where I relaxed a little and then got ready for my second "on-ramp" session of CrossFit. I'm not gonna lie. I didn't want to go. But I also don't want NOT to go. So I sucked it up and headed over to the box.

Was happy to see Stacey there again, but sad not to see "Sarah". A few other folks seemed to have dropped out as well, but the majority of the class was there.

We warmed up on our own -- or were supposed to, but most of us did a few "pass-throughs" and then Stacey and I did a couple of inchworms before we kicked things off.

We did some barbell work today -- the "ladies" bars are 35 pounds each, while the "mens" bars are 45, and the "juniors" are 25. Let's just say that by the end I was wishing I had just grabbed a junior bar...

We started by learning the safe way to do some of the lifts. Yeah, I've already forgotten what they're called. The first one was just bringing the bar to your shoulders, then back down to your hips. The second lift was bringing the bar from your shoulders to over your head, and back down. This got increasingly difficult as time passed.

Then we went over to the pull-up bars and attempted "knees to elbows". Umm, yeah. Luckily the instructor pointed out that for many of us, just hanging from the bars was enough of a workout. Yep.

Then we worked on v-ups -- which are a modification for the knees to elbows move.

After "mastering" (ha ha) the moves, she asked if we were all warmed up (groans) and then she explained the workout. We were going to do each of the four things for a minute each. At the end of the four minutes, we got a minute of rest. We were encouraged to keep track of how many reps we did -- saying that the workout was "scored" by the total number of reps you completed.

Anyway, we were to do the cycle 3 times total. Ready? Go.

First lift went okay, as did the second lift. I tried to do the shoulder movement that's the first step of knees to shoulders. And I felt relieved by the relative ease of the v-up. And then I enjoyed my first minute's rest.

Second round -- first lift good, second lift a little wobbly. I started to worry I would somehow lose control of the bar. Got to the pull-up bar and my hands were hurting. Had to drop off the bar a few times the pain was so bad. Started my v-ups with the one-leg modification, only to have one of the instructors say that we should at least attempt the two-leg version at the start of the set. So I did... and he said, "Great effort." (aww.) And then blissful, water-sucking rest minute.

Third round -- tried to burn through it because I was relieved it was almost over. (Is that normal?) First lift okay, and then I tried to focus on my form for the second lift. And then, well, I think I spent more time with my feet on the ground than my hands on the pull-up bar. My hands are still sore. And then v-ups till the end.

After the session we put our things away, got a little pep talk, and cleared out. I hope I can move my arms tomorrow... at boot camp!

Last week was crazy -- every day at work we had some new ridiculous "fire" to put out. And working out for 6 days straight -- which I know a lot of you do, but I'm usually too lazy! -- really beat me up. I can't tell you how thrilled I was to have a total rest day on Sunday!

But to sum up last week -- Monday, Wednesday, and Friday morning boot camp. Tuesday and Thursday morning run. Tuesday and Thursday evening, and Saturday afternoon CrossFit.

Then, well, we had a block party on Saturday afternoon... which pretty much consisted of the adults standing around drinking beer. I'm not all that keen of a drinker -- and I don't even like beer -- but we somehow managed to drink 4 beers each between 1:30 and 6:30.

I have been feeling a bit bloated ever since! And though I had a decent loss on Friday morning (pre block party...), I was up nearly a pound this morning.

Yeah, I don't like to weigh in more than 2x/week just because I know I fluctuate, but this is weird. I'm sitting here in my workout clothes for CrossFit tonight and I feel like they fit funny. Can I possibly still be bloated from 48 ounces of beer on Saturday?

Yesterday's boot camp was fantastic -- we were all in much better spirits and we ran some killer fast sprints. Of course, I didn't do enough stretching, which just makes me mad at myself. So this morning I felt a little stiff, but still went out for a run. And now my quads are killing me.

Stacey and I were speculating that tonight's CrossFit would include "box jumps" and kettle bells -- since those are two key CrossFit exercises that we haven't yet done. We'll see.

Sorry for the scattered post!

I think that's a great goal! One of mine is to run as many miles as it takes to get to Disney from my city by the time I run the WDW Marathon in 2015.

I think that's a great goal! One of mine is to run as many miles as it takes to get to Disney from my city by the time I run the WDW Marathon in 2015.

Hi! What a cool idea! How far would it be?

I feel as if I've been doing too much -- it's been hard to fit in all of my workouts and have a real life. Thank heavens DH is so supportive!

On Saturday DH and I ran our second-fastest half marathon ever. I felt great at mile 5, really good at mile 8, pretty strong at mile 11, and then just ready to be done at mile 12. But I didn't feel like I was struggling for most of it, which was great.

Today I picked up a big bag of kitty litter from the pet store and realized that two months ago I was "carrying" that 20-pound bag of litter with me every step I ran... This makes me absurdly happy to realize. It makes me want to recommit and get off this dang plateau!

But, then, well, today was a day full of bad food choices. Finished boot camp and decided that I really really wanted a bagel. I haven't had a bagel for a while, so I figured that it was okay for me to give in. And, yeah, that bagel was GOOOOOOD.

Then I got to my desk and -- in honor of my buddy's return from vacation -- another teammate had brought in donuts. I was able to fend off donuts the last time, noting that I love glazed old fashioned and can resist all other donuts. So -- because he aims to please -- he had specially bought me a glazed old fashioned. Being weak -- and because *I* aim to please... -- I ate it. The first half was awesome. But I didn't especially enjoy the second half. And then I felt weird about eating it. Boo.

And then I realized that I had a lunch meeting... and that they were going to bring in box lunches. I had brought my lunch -- leftover veggie curry -- but knew I wouldn't have the chance to heat it. And the organizer had made the point of ordering two different vegetarian lunches because she knows I'm a veggie. So... again... because she had been thoughtful, I ate the box lunch. The delicious brie and green apple on a baguette sandwich; the bag of Sun Chips, the little salad... At least I managed not to scarf down the brownie!

So, yeah, probably a 2000+ calorie day, according to MFP. My saving grace is that I had boot camp this morning... and then my tap dance class tonight. So I wasn't over if I decided to eat my activity calories, I guess...

Tomorrow I have a big project to finish at work ... despite having SIX hours of meetings throughout the day. I had decided to skip my morning run and try to go in early... but then I realized that, well, this is what work-life balance is about. I don't want to skip my run. After all, my colleagues with children don't skip t-ball games or day-camp drop offs or ballet classes with their kids so they can come in early. So I'm taking my inner child out for a run tomorrow. If this project is really important, there are at least two hours worth of meetings that can be cut out of the day!

Tomorrow night is my first "real" crossfit class... I'm nervous about it, but determined to try it out. I've already decided that I won't be joining the "box" after my Groupon runs out... it costs as much per month as my beloved boot camp, and, well, I just don't like it as much. But I'm feeling proud of myself for trying it, completing the "on ramp" series, and I will go to at least two real classes. But then I think my curiosity has been sated...

Besides, my new adventure is TAP DANCING!!! :banana: Yeah, it's another Groupon... but every Monday night I put on my tap shoes and stomp around with my classmates. Tonight was week two, and all of a sudden we were making nice rhythms all together. My goal is to finish the class with the ability to do a bit of dancing. Here's hoping!

Tap dancing sounds so cool. I just can't bounce that much - I find it feels so odd. Could be the chest.

On a related note, DH and I have decided to get SCUBA certified. On my bucket list. I love feeling like all options are open in life!

Terapin said:
Tap dancing sounds so cool. I just can't bounce that much - I find it feels so odd. Could be the chest.

On a related note, DH and I have decided to get SCUBA certified. On my bucket list. I love feeling like all options are open in life!

Oooh, very cool about SCUBA! I think if we didn't live in the frigid north we would do that. Well, I would -- DH is already certified. And, well, I don't have a lot of issues with a bouncy chest!!! ;)

I have something to confess: I didn't go to crossfit last night. Too tired, too grumpy, and what I really wanted to do was go home and sit in the back garden. So I am a little disappointed in myself, but at least I got a run in yesterday morning.

Great workout at boot camp today, but my knee joints are really stiff. Then sitting in cramped bleacher seats all afternoon at the ball game (hooray for work team building!!!) made them seize up. Tomorrow is an easy run, thank heavens!!

How's it going?

We live in the frigid north (well, 4 months of the year it is frigid. Maybe 5 months). Maybe it won't seem like such a good idea come fall... we hope to certify so we can dive somewhere cool. We're in the beginning stages of planning a trip to Tokyo and then Hawaii - so maybe we will dive there.

If you are interested, I posted a race report in my journal of my weekend race. Congratulations on the hlaf-marathon!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter