3 things you remember about Kindergarten

(Kindergarten for me was 1975.)

1. It was half day, and not academic like it is now. I remember coloring with my friend Valerie.

Ha. I started K in 1971 and it was half day and I feel like we napped most of the time. I do remember that when we first arrived in the morning we could play house in a section that had rooms set up. At 4, I was completely domineered by the other girls and couldn't get near anything so I just hung back and watched everyone else play. Story of my life, I still feel like I do this.

1. Napping under the tables.
2. Getting a "red day" and not being to get anything out of a "treasure box" at the end of the week. Not sure what I did to get a red day...
3. I was the Moon in a Halloween play we did.

Showing my mom the "art" painted on schoolyard asphalt and her admonishing me that it was graffiti and not beautiful. I distinctly remember that there was a pretty ornate skull painted on the ground. To this day, I still think skulls are beautiful.

Being assigned "homework" that was basically just cutting images in specific colors out of magazines and pasting them to a sheet of paper. I remember really liking the red assignment and finding a cool red phone in the Sears catalog.

Passing out on the bus from a school field trip to the local science museum and being admitted to the hospital because they were concerned that I might have a seizure disorder.

1) being a snowflake in the holiday/winter show
2) the wooden playhouse and kitchen with a pretend phone - I would talk to my "boyfriend" on the phone
3) one day my mom fell asleep at home and forgot to pick me up, I tried to go home with a man that had the same car as my mom! The teacher caught me and let me color until my mom came. I drew a jack-o-lantern.

1) First day of school on the bus, the kid sitting behind me threw up ALL over me.
2) Teachers name was Mrs. Taylor.
3) Getting off the bus on that afternoon in November and being told President Kennedy had been shot.

1. We had eye exams and the dr would take you to a little room (maybe originally a closet?) and exam you. A kid came back and said he touched his eye. It freaked me out, so when the teacher asked if they missed anyone, I didn't raise my hand. Then I felt super guilty for a long time.

2. We had nap time every day. We had to bring in little rugs to sleep on and mine was navy blue and the shape of a foot.

3. The teacher used Letter People to teach us the alphabet. We had some that were inflatable. I loved those things.

Mrs Hart was my teacher.

I had a crush on Billy. (Billy don't be a hero was popular then)

Finally, not really sure if it was K or 1st grade, but a girl lost a $100 bill. (early 70's) They took us all into the gym and we sat on the floor. After they asked everyone if they had it, they took a few kids one by one into another room (bathroom?) to search them. All the kids they searched were black. Later the girl found the money in the ripped lining of her coat pocket.Never forgot that...

We had a very cute Billy in our neighborhood during that time, too. We also had a Joey who lived a few streets over, so we loved Billy Don't be a Hero and Run, Joey, Run. lol

I remember I only had one semester of kindergarten. With a November birthday they wouldn't admit me at age 4 when school started, but I was five for the winter-spring semester so I jumped in.

We took naps on mats or little throw rugs on the floor of the classroom.

We said the Pledge Of Allegiance and I was having trouble remembering which hand was my right hand to hold over my heart, so my mom put a bandaid on a finger on my right hand so I could remember.

We were talking with our DGDs about their teachers and DW told them they'd always remember the names of their teachers but I have no idea what my kindergarten teacher's name was. We moved cities between kindergarten & first grade, I couldn't even tell you the name of the school.:confused3

1. My teacher was Mrs. Sievers.
2. She yelled at me one time when I was a few minutes late for story time and trying to get in the front to see since I was super short. Story time was wasted on me if I was in the back since I was so short.
3. I hold a grudge and dislike her to this day because of #2.

1. I sat at the "Brown" table ; every circular table was a color. The other kids always moved their chairs as far as they could so they were crowded up against each other, and far away from me. And everyone was obsessed with seeing if they could get glue or paste in my hair. :(
2. I was forbidden from ever selecting the music for naptime when I jokingly suggested playing Christmas music in October. I never got "my" turn...
3. I always ended up eating my lunch alone because if I sat down at a table with other kids, they would all get up and go somewhere else. I got used to having a whole table to myself...

1. When it was my day to paint, I just mede a big mess and called it an explosion
2. A girl named Hedi, at nap time I could see her underwear
3, Terry a friend I met then, who was always in trouble, and were still friends and he is still always in trouble ( but he would do anything for me)

low- key, I think that's awesome you've had a friend in your life since kindergarten.

#1 whole milk, it made me gag then and from those days forward
#2 plastic mats to "nap on"
#3 our classroom was across from the office/principal office. I had ONE visit there in Kindergarten.............

Last edited:
1. I sat at the "Brown" table ; every circular table was a color. The other kids always moved their chairs as far as they could so they were crowded up against each other, and far away from me. And everyone was obsessed with seeing if they could get glue or paste in my hair. :(
2. I was forbidden from ever selecting the music for naptime when I jokingly suggested playing Christmas music in October. I never got "my" turn...
3. I always ended up eating my lunch alone because if I sat down at a table with other kids, they would all get up and go somewhere else. I got used to having a whole table to myself...
:sad1: You can sit with me. :flower3:

How sad. :( I hope things improved in the following years.

I realize I even have some distinct memories of pre-school.

1) Riding in the back of a pick-up (with a camper shell) to go on a field trip
2) Not getting chocolate pudding for snack one day because my eyes were open during naptime (I'm still kind of bothered by this one - it's not like I was being naughty!)
3) Getting to chew bubblegum one day

1. Class was in a church basement.
2. Nap time even though Kindergarten was only a half day.
3. Learning to skip. (Not sure I could still do it.)

1. Seeing a urinal for the first time (in the kindergarten classroom bathroom)
2. Getting yelled at because I said that I'd write my workbook number down so that I wouldn't forget it. She said I was just supposed to remember it!
3. The snack time prayer

I went to a half day kindergarten program, though I don't remember exactly how long it was. I'm trying to figure out how we fit in snack time and rest time (I remember the blanket that I had for that, too) and still did any learning. Why a rest time in a half day class?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter