3 things you remember about Kindergarten

(Kindergarten for me was 1975.)

1. It was half day, and not academic like it is now. I remember coloring with my friend Valerie.
2. My teacher's name was Mrs. Gardiner, and I'm pretty sure we had the end room on the left.
3. One classmate used a wheelchair, and we all wanted to be chosen to push it for him.

Staring at the ceiling during “nap” time. Never fell asleep one time

The swing set at school was WAY better than mine at home

Jeri H liked to play footsie - I didn’t think it was a real thing before

Kindergarten for me was after the Palm Sunday tornado had damaged large parts of the school. K classes were being held in trailers set up outside while the school was repaired.
1) Getting picked to go into the school cafeteria to pick up the white / chocolate milk.
2) Story hour
3) Keeping a pair of Keds shoes with your name on the bottom in the cubbies. Had to change into those shoes for recess. If you didn't have a pair to change into you weren't allowed to go out to the playground.

I remember the play area in the classroom that had blocks, big trucks and a kitchen with play sink, stove and fridge, all made out of wood.

Everyone taking turns going on one of three seesaws on the playground. (You don’t see those around much any more.)

Learning to sing the Star Spangled Banner, America and other patriotic songs with the music teacher.

My teacher was Miss Lake. The House next to the school had chickens and there were special leaves that we could feed them.

Last edited:
Teacher’s name was Mrs. Brown. Loved that dear lady.

Best friend’s name was Stewart.

I fainted during our graduation program. No idea why. I was standing there singing and the next thing I knew I was in the hallway with Mom, Dad and the “candy man” ( he was the man that delivered candy to Mom and Dad’s grocery store) were all fanning me and calling my name.

1. Carpools
2. The nasty milk. Hated that stuff. Still do.
3. Demonstrating my shoe-tying skills on a wooden shoe with string ties at the teacher's desk.

3. Demonstrating my shoe-tying skills on a wooden shoe with string ties at the teacher's desk.

I do not remember this myself, but remember being told the story later -

Apparently, we also had to demonstrate that we could tie our shoes. The problem was, I tied them with the "bunny ears" method, instead of the "around the tree" method. They weren't going to count it because, get this..."she won't be able tie apron strings behind her back that way"!!!

I wish I did remember the spectacle of my mother's response to that! :rotfl: But, at any rate, they listened, and I was passed on to the first grade.

(And to this day, on the rare occasions I actually don an apron, I tie it "bunny ears" in defiance.)

1. I remember a kid calling the teacher "mommy" one time.
2. I remember a field trip to the Long Beach harbor
3. I don't remember going to school with Snoop Dogg, even though I have said that we may have went to Kindergarten together

1. A kid choking, alerting the teacher, and her saying "it's not my problem." That was a formative life moment for me.
  2. The letter/reading computer game we had to play- I recall disliking it.
  3. Andre, one if my first friends- running hand in hand on a trip to the park.
Preschool, pre-kindergarten, and first grade were better. I don't recall liking kindergarten.

I remember so much! I don't know that I could pick a top 3, so here's a list.
  • When I first went to school I would not speak at all. I would point at my name written on my pencil box, would not answer questions, and sat in the desk furthest away from everyone (there were some extra desks that were not really part of the setup that were being stored in the room that I gravitated toward). This went on for a week at least. One day I came into the classroom and each desk had been arranged into a pod facing another desk. The seats were assigned. I was face-to-face with another student. I am certain this was all because of me, but it did work. I eventually became friends with my seating partner, and things didn't seem so weird anymore.
  • Our teacher was changed after about two weeks. I really don't know why. The first teacher left abruptly is my feeling though.
  • I would not hold a pencil correctly and was forced to use one of those rubber triangular grip things that I never figured out. I still do not hold a pen or pencil properly.
  • We could earn poker chips for good behavior and at the end of the month buy a treat with them. We made little bags to hang off the sides of our desks for them to go in.
  • My older sister once went into our classroom to get me for some reason (doctor's appointment or something) and a kid in the class yelled out "I wanna marry you!" to her. That same kid also took some picture of a muscle car that was in one of our textbooks and pointed it out to everybody in class individually with the exclamation "Bad to the Bone!" That guy was a riot.
  • Playtime's toy of choice was the Little People Western Town, the one with the trap door thing on the roof. It was way better than the barn. There were also these "H" shaped construction blocks that I would make spaceships with adjustable wings out of.
  • We watched The Secret of Nimh once and it was kind of scary to some of the kids.
  • We did Moucercise!
  • I can remember the days of the week and months of the year songs even to this day.
  • We would occasionally listen to a "Mister Men" record (or these were tapes I think) with the storybook.
  • The first time there was a fire drill I seriously freaked out because I didn't understand that it was only practice. I remember getting outside and saying something like "I don't see a fire."
  • We did a hand print thing with a poem for mothers day and my mother still has it.
  • We took a field trip to the zoo and it was so hot that day.
  • Our math book, such that it was, had elephants on it and punch-out paper coins and rulers in the back.
  • The best book in the small classroom library was called Gus, and I want to say it was about a worm who drove a car? Maybe.
  • The graduation play was Peter Rabbit, and I was a mouse who had to carry a construction paper pod of peas in my mouth, but I lost it and didn't know what to do on my cue, so I sat there, trying to explain without speaking for some reason. They eventually skipped my part.
  • My graduation present was a robot that ran on compressed air. It would "walk" using a scissor lift style mechanism. That thing was neat actually.
I think that covers most of the very vivid memories, most of which are probably inaccurate to some degree. It was fun times, but I sure was a nervous kid, which is still with me actually.

Reciting a poem I had memorized for the teacher (I learned to read at 3)
Choking down a piece of cake with coconut frosting at snack time- also the time they checked our milk cartons to make sure we hadn't tried to hide our hard boiled eggs in them
Kevin trying to kiss me frequently until our moms had a talk

NO K for me either very few went to K when I started school. I remember my mother going to work that year an staying with a neighbor lady who had a 1st grader an erasing an redoing all the kids school work meaning I was totally bored with 1st grade. I also learned how to tell time that year by knowing what time I went to the sitters an what time kids came in from school and what time I was picked up. I learned how to tell time on a face clock too.....it was before digital clocks.

I do not remember this myself, but remember being told the story later -

Apparently, we also had to demonstrate that we could tie our shoes. The problem was, I tied them with the "bunny ears" method, instead of the "around the tree" method. They weren't going to count it because, get this..."she won't be able tie apron strings behind her back that way"!!!
:faint:

I wish I did remember the spectacle of my mother's response to that! :rotfl: But, at any rate, they listened, and I was passed on to the first grade.

(And to this day, on the rare occasions I actually don an apron, I tie it "bunny ears" in defiance.)
Good for you! :lmao:

Graham Crackers and milk, nap time and walking home alone once without my parents permission.

1. Someone brought a goat to show and tell. It was wearing a diaper.

2. My teacher got married in the middle of the year.

3. We got mad at our neighbor's mom for moving her to afternoon K so we stole her mail and ripped it up.

1. Standing on a little plastic chair and holding the corner of the flag while leading the class in the Pledge of Alligence.

2. The cardboard bricks we played with being set up on the tables to create little testing cubbies.

3. My awesome teacher and her letting me write my name in cursive, even though I hadn’t quite mastered it (Debbie looked more like Dellie!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!