3 things you remember about Kindergarten

Sitting under the teacher's desk at nap because I talked too much.

The "Months of the Year" song.

Kissing the neighbor kid Jesse at LEAST once a week when we separated for centers.

1. I had a “boyfriend.” I kissed him behind the shed on the playground.
2. I got paddled for changing into my bathing suit to show aforementioned “boyfriend.”
3. Our class was in a cute little house detached from the main school building.

1) When my teacher was angry with us, she'd slowly and loudly say "I am VERY DISSAPPOINTED"...you didn't want to hear it

2) Nap time was "put your heads down"...a very bad thing to teach kids who will grow into lazy high school teens one day, if you ask me.

3) Having our own stand up sandbox, a castle to play in, a carpet for story and music times, our own patio to play on outside our door...a very full half day we had.

I can only remember two things:

1. Being embarrassed because I couldn’t get my button undone to go to the bathroom and I had to go up to the teacher while she was reading at story time and get her to do it

2. Having agreed to marry a boy in the class named Peter already and another boy named Christian asked me to marry him and I was having such a dilemma on who to choose. At the time I honestly believed I was choosing who I would marry ! Haha!

Last edited:

I can only remember two things:

1. Being embarrassed because I couldn’t get my button undone to go to the bathroom and I had to go up to the teacher while she was reading at story time and get her to do it

2. Having agreed to marry a boy in the class named Peter already Andover boy named Christian asked me to marry him and I was having such a dilemma on who to choose. At the time I honestly believed I was choosing who I would marry ! Haha!
I had the same marriage dilemma at summer camp :rotfl:

Never went. Wasn’t required.
I went and it wasn't required in 1982-83, and in fact it's still not required, but most do go as it's full day kindergarten here and doesn't cost money in public school. Bye bye daycare bill!

1) sitting on the floor in the gym/all purpose room, 1st day of school, putting my foot under the riser in front of me (steps to stage) and getting my foot stuck. Needing help to wiggle my foot out of my shoe.

2) mimeograph smell

3) teacher

4) nap time

5) bathroom in the classroom

I had afternoon kindergarten session, my dad worked days, and my mom worked nights and slept during the day.
So I remember about kindergarten in 1962:
1)Getting my mom up at noon after the re-run of the Dick Van Dyke Show to take me to school.
2) Graham Crackers and milk for snack. We never bought graham crackers at home.
3) Nap time. In winter, having to lay on our blankets on a floor with radiant heat in winter, and if you touch the floor it felt like it was 2,000 degrees

1. There was a blue plastic rocket ride on toy.
2. There was a playhouse made out of wood in the back of classroom that we loved to play in.
3. Mrs Connelly used to play a few notes on the piano as the signal that rest time was over.

Other things I recall:
I used it get extra homework because I was advanced(being advanced ended by middle school lol)

There was a big kid named Billy who always broke the big fat crayons.

My neighbor, Michael, and I were the first ones there on the first day..and then a boy named Joe came. Joe brought in Stretch Armstrong for show and tell later that year.

After my first day, I was talking to my mom and said how much I loved it, and asked if I could go back again..and she said oh you’re going every day. Lol

Man, you guys remember a lot more than me. I just remember that Mrs. Taylor was very old. So probably 40 or something ;) Man, I'd love to figure out how old she really was.

Beyond that? I've got nothing.

1. The big easels we did our paintings on
2. Nap time
3. A sweet little boy named Roger. We had a crush on each other but he moved before the end of kindergarten. When I was about 23, I went to visit my parents and went to the neighborhood store to pick up something from the deli counter for my dad, the guy behind the counter looked at me and called me by name. It was Roger and we hadn't seen each other in 18 years but he recognized me.

Napping on the mats. The person that slept the best got to wake up the others with a fairy wand.

Getting in trouble for taking home the queen weeble wobble. :)

Wearing my dad’s shirt as a paint smock. It was white with tan stripes.

This is about the first grade as kindergarten didn't exist back in the dark ages. I am one of the oldest baby boomers - I was born a year after WWII ended. Every house on my block had a kid my age.

What I remember is going to school for half days for years as the schools were overwhelmed by the kids of the guys who returned from WWII. But my most vivid memory is throwing up on the back of a boy named Freddie who sat in front of me because my teacher didn't notice me trying to get permission to go to the bathroom. I was such a rule follower.

I also remember liking Don Christianberry as my boyfriend (Hazelpark, Michigan). I haven't seen him since I was 9 so I don't know what happened to him.

Mrs Hart was my teacher.

I had a crush on Billy. (Billy don't be a hero was popular then)

Finally, not really sure if it was K or 1st grade, but a girl lost a $100 bill. (early 70's) They took us all into the gym and we sat on the floor. After they asked everyone if they had it, they took a few kids one by one into another room (bathroom?) to search them. All the kids they searched were black. Later the girl found the money in the ripped lining of her coat pocket.Never forgot that...

1. Getting reprimanded for talking out of turn. Kind of set the pace for my entire schooling career. :rolleyes:

2. Wanting desperately to be the “wake up fairy”

3. Inflatable Letter People

1. I liked to write my capital Es with extra horizontal lines on them because that was more fun than just putting three.

2. Getting in trouble for putting my potato chips on my sandwich and then defending my actions by telling the teacher that was how my mother ate her sandwiches. I still don't get why the teacher would take issue with that in the first place. :confused3

3. Spaghetti Day and the jerkface kid who kept pronouncing it puh-sketti, delaying the rest of us from being able to eat some. (Everyone in the class had to show they could pronounce it properly before we were allowed to have it.)

Bonus Memory: Taking part in an animated conversation with classmates about how small an inch was. We must not have used rulers by that point and had only heard inches described as small, because by our estimations they were practically microscopic. I remember the first time I saw a how big an inch was and thinking it was much larger than I was expecting.

Last edited:
1. Painting on the big papers on easels
2. Pushing a girl off the slide because she was going too slow. ( I learned the virtue of patience soon after ;) )
3. Moving in the middle of the year

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts