3 magic bands--can all be used anytime?????

calablovedisney

DIS Veteran
I have a continuing reservation-had to book separately since I rebooked with Orbitz and added a night, so I ended up with 3 reservation numbers. When choosing magicband colors, I thought I did 2 and the third said "declined" or something like that and since we don't need 3 magic bands each, I was going to decline them anyway if possible.
But, we received 3 each anyway. I think I know the answer, but we leave tomorrow and I want to be very sure-Does it matter when we use each band or will they just be interchangeable for the whole trip?
I know this is another magic band questions. I always second guess if I read something wrong.
Thanks!

All three bands should be linked to your profile in My Disney Experience. This makes all three totally interchangeable. You can pick which color you would like to wear each day. The bands themselves don't have any information on them, they just ask as a link to your MDE account. So your bands for the first registration will work on your send and third reservations.

All three bands should be linked to your profile in My Disney Experience. This makes all three totally interchangeable. You can pick which color you would like to wear each day. The bands themselves don't have any information on them, they just ask as a link to your MDE account. So your bands for the first registration will work on your send and third reservations.
Thank you!! I was pretty sure of that, but really wanted to confirm it!

The only exception to the interchangeability that I have read about is the Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom game. For some reason that seems to be tied to an individual MagicBand, not your MDE, as everything else is.

The only other hurdle I've had with MB and split stays is sometimes 1 of the bands won't be properly registered to open a given resort room door. So if you want to avoid any potential hassles just pop in the lobby and ask them to check the band(s) you plan to use to be sure it is registered to open the room. They have a way to see the serial number on the band and which one can open the door of the room you are registered in. When all things are right in The World, all bands registered to your account can open any room registered to you. But, things aren't always right in The World and sometimes one doesn't work. Especially when it comes to split stays. Nothing worse than walking all the way to your room and finding out when you get a red light instead of a green light. So I learned to stop by first just to be safe.

We also had an issue with MBs and the pool. We had purchased new MBs that day and none of them would open the pool. According to the CM we spoke to the MB must open the hotel door once before they would work on the pool. No idea if that is true (it sounds strange) but next day they all worked.

We also had an issue with MBs and the pool. We had purchased new MBs that day and none of them would open the pool. According to the CM we spoke to the MB must open the hotel door once before they would work on the pool. No idea if that is true (it sounds strange) but next day they all worked.
We have found this to be the case for CL elevator access so it may well be the case for pool access

The only other hurdle I've had with MB and split stays is sometimes 1 of the bands won't be properly registered to open a given resort room door. So if you want to avoid any potential hassles just pop in the lobby and ask them to check the band(s) you plan to use to be sure it is registered to open the room. They have a way to see the serial number on the band and which one can open the door of the room you are registered in. When all things are right in The World, all bands registered to your account can open any room registered to you. But, things aren't always right in The World and sometimes one doesn't work. Especially when it comes to split stays. Nothing worse than walking all the way to your room and finding out when you get a red light instead of a green light. So I learned to stop by first just to be safe.
Oh gosh I already put them all in a bag together. I don't know which goes with which and the 3rd bands were a repeat of one of the orders since I never customized the 3rd due to the message saying they were declined. This could be very interesting.

Also, my dh and I have bands from a 1 night trip in April we plan to use as well. We actually wore each others band, but didn't know until we got home. So I am guessing we have to continue that since that band is linked to us with a fingerprint.

Oh gosh I already put them all in a bag together. I don't know which goes with which and the 3rd bands were a repeat of one of the orders since I never customized the 3rd due to the message saying they were declined. This could be very interesting.
That's fine, I never know which goes with which resort stay either. That's why I just take the one I plan to wear, or all of them if I truly plan to wear them all, up to the desk and ask them to check to be sure it will open the room at that resort. It's really a bigger deal when you go from resort 1 to resort 2 or resort 2 from resort 3, etc. Sometimes you can still be "checked in" to resort 1 and resort 2 won't allow your band to open the room in resort 2 until resort 1 "checks you out" if that makes sense. But the desk at Resort 2 can fix it right up

Also, my dh and I have bands from a 1 night trip in April we plan to use as well. We actually wore each others band, but didn't know until we got home. So I am guessing we have to continue that since that band is linked to us with a fingerprint.
the fingerprint is not linked to the band, it's linked to your account. So your fingerprint is on your husband's account and vice-versa. I imagine you can get them to fix that.

On my last visit, I learned an odd thing about MBs. Apparently, not all of my MagicBands and cards are interchangable from a door entry standpoint, even if they all work for room charging, admission, and FP+.

When checking in, I got a text to visit the front desk. They told me they noticed that I had several MBs on my account. They manually scanned the one I was wearing to and asked if I wanted to enable any of the others to open the door.

I guess that means that the resort room system is at least partially separated from MyMagic+. It's probably good for security reasons. But I did have to make sure I was wearing the correct MagicBand whenever I left the room.

When checking in, I got a text to visit the front desk. They told me they noticed that I had several MBs on my account. They manually scanned the one I was wearing to and asked if I wanted to enable any of the others to open the door.

Whereas for our stays every single one of my bands (apart from 1 that seems to have mysteriously died) will open my resort rooms without ANY of them being scanned at the front desk.

On my last visit, I learned an odd thing about MBs. Apparently, not all of my MagicBands and cards are interchangable from a door entry standpoint, even if they all work for room charging, admission, and FP+.

I guess that means that the resort room system is at least partially separated from MyMagic+. It's probably good for security reasons. But I did have to make sure I was wearing the correct MagicBand whenever I left the room.

Whereas for our stays every single one of my bands (apart from 1 that seems to have mysteriously died) will open my resort rooms without ANY of them being scanned at the front desk.

Based on the conversations I've had with them it really does just depend on what they load in the particular data base for that resort. Sometimes they'll add every MB for a given guest in to the data base at that resort as able to open the room door. Sometimes they don't. I don't know why some do and some don't. I don't know if it's up to each Resort manager or what. If some have a better system based on the number of rooms at that resort, as in their data base size is more manageable. Really no idea. Many guesses though. But this is where it's just a matter of their loading a specific serial number in that resorts system and it works.

I don't know if there is a case for this at other resorts or not, but at YC/BC/BCV in December, only one MB per person was allowed for room access. All the others we had worked fine for everything else (tickets, FP, etc) but only the MB specific to the part of our split stay that was at BCV would open the door. We also had to go to the front desk (despite on line check-in) so they could verify the band and/or set up one specific band. I was told that the resorts have the option to do this if they choose. For YC/BC/BCV the problem is Stormalong Bay access. Limiting room access to one band per guest, prevents someone with multiple bands from handing them out to family and friends NOT staying there and granting those non guests access to the pool complex.

Once we moved to AKL, and later to Poly, all of our bands (8pp) opened the doors just fine.

Steve

the fingerprint is not linked to the band, it's linked to your account. So your fingerprint is on your husband's account and vice-versa. I imagine you can get them to fix that.

The biometric scan is attached to a ticket, not your overall MDE profile.

You can use any band linked to your account at any time. You can use bands from previous trips, you can use bands for a checkin that doesn't start until next week. You can wear a purple one into the park, carry a green one in your purse and switch between when you enter the park and when you go on your first FP ride. They are completely interchangeable.

You can use any band linked to your account at any time. You can use bands from previous trips, you can use bands for a checkin that doesn't start until next week. You can wear a purple one into the park, carry a green one in your purse and switch between when you enter the park and when you go on your first FP ride. They are completely interchangeable.
But they may all not work to enter your room. They may. But they may not. That is the only place I have found them to not be 100% interchangeable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter