3 kids under 4 in strollers??????

Amadio2798

Earning My Ears
Help!! I am leaving for Disney in less then 3 weeks with my 3 kids under 4. I am not sure what type of stroller arrangment to bring. My oldest is 32 pounds at age 4 3/4, middle is 26 pounds at age 2 3/4, and my youngest is 25 pounds at age 11 months. We have a triple stoller (the baby trend double sit and stand) that is 2 big to bring, and a double that is also too heavy, etc. Our umbrella double and single have no baskets, or any features such as sun protection etc. We realize we need to bring a single and a double and they must be light, easy to fold, with basket, sun protection, etc. We own soo many stollers but non fit the bill. I am willing to buy 2 more, if they are inexpensive. We can't even decide which 2 should sit in the double....uuugggghhhh!!! ANy suggestions, I would love!!! I searched past posts, but it seems nobody has 3 kids in strollers????? This will be our first time with the kids....our only other time was our honeymoon!!! (how things have changed!!!!)
Help!!!

Would the 2 and 4 yr old be ok without a stroller when not at the parks? Because you could rent a double at the parks fo the two older kids and then just bring a smaller stroller for the baby with a basket. We have one that is fairly small with a basket and it cost us about $40.00. We had a pretty similar situation as you just recently. I have 2 3/4 yr old, and a newborn (3months) and my friend has a 16 month old. We brought an umbrella stroller for the two older kids. For my DD we purchased one of those universal car seat carrier strollers. The car seat just snaps in. The umbrella stroller we brought for my DS broke before we even had a chance to use it so we rented one. My friend was saying that it was nice. We could of rented a double for the two oldest. :D

How about using your existing umbrella strollers but adding baskets and sun protection. You probably don't need 3 baskets, but one would be handy. We have a basic net basket like this
BV295.JPG

under our cheapie stroller and it holds a small cool bag and other bits and pieces, it did not come with teh stroller. I have to say that is a terrible picture our basket is fastened much higher and it much stronger than that picture implies.

we also quite like a net bag on the back of our stroller, or sometimes just put a backpack or baby bag on the back.
tBV304.jpg

I like the net because you can see where everything is in the bag.

for some protection, I would get some parasols
tBCN292.jpg
you just clip them onto the side of the stroller and they work really well. they look lovely too.

I got all these pics from a UK Website because I knew they would stock them all, but I am sure you must be able to get at least the basket and the stroller umbrella/parasol in the USA.

I would recommend a raincover, or using ponchos to cover your stroller as well. We ended up with a soaking wet stroller at Epcot one day and it was basically unusable.

bev

If it were me, I would probably bring a double umbrella stroller for the two younger ones and bring or rent a single umbrella stroller for the older one.

Now you have to decide if you want to rent or bring them. The rented ones are not that comfy but may be practical so you don't have to lug two strollers everywhere...

I'd worry more about the canopy than the baskets...like the previous poster said, you could buy one of those nets (I have two!) for about $6 and you could easily strap a backpack over the stroller handle.

It's a tough call.

I have a similar situation and unfortunately, I don't have the answer. I have a 4 year old and will have 18 month old twins when we go. We plan to bring a double and an umbrella stroller, but don't know what kind of double to get. The two doubles we already have, a tandem and side-by-side, are too heavy. I am thinking of getting either a double umbrella--kolcraft makes one, or a lighter weight side-by-side, such as the Graco duorider. I like the combi twin and peg perego aria, but they are expensive. The duorider is less expensive. For the 4 year old, we just plan to bring a plain old umbrella stroller since she will not use it all the time. We may attach a bag to it or get a parasol. The kolcraft double umbrella has no basket, either, so we may not go with it. Let us know what you decide!

I am also a stroller fiend. Do not purchase the Aria twin, It was not worth the money. The wheels have been replaced once I thought the y must be defective it was so hard to push, call Perego they replaced the wheels, However It still stinks. I have used the duorider at Disney. It was the most functional for me so far. So if you are going for an extra every day stroller, hands down for the money that would be my choice. For a disney lightweight, The Kolcraft double umbrella worked wonderfully for us. Simply purchase a net bag. It was great for our 16mt old twins in disney, and again when they were just 2. Pushed very easily no problems. The airlines broke mine last trip. I purchased the Aria twin for our trip. And after I sign off here I am going On the strollers 4 less website. And see if they can Fed-ex me another Kolcraft umbrella in time for my trip. For the older I would get the Kolcraft single umbrella, If you go on strollers 4 less. 100 in purchases are shipped free. I bet you can get both strollers for less than 110. dollars. I wholey recommend this purchse as the way to go. Good Luck. Lauren

If the oldest of 3 is old enough to walk most of the time, I'd consider a buggy board. We used one when we brought a nephew a few years ago, when DS was still small. Nephew was 5 at the time, he just stood on back and hitchhiked. When he got really exhausted and fell asleep on the way to the hotel, we put him in the stroller and used a sling to help carry DS.

http://www.dmart2000.com/bugboarbylas.html

There is also a variant gadget called the Seat-2-Go; the older child can actually sit with that one. I don't have any personal experience using it: http://www.dmart2000.com/seat2goatstr.html

Note on a couple of things in previous posts:

You can use a big Sit n' Stand at the parks, but you can't get them on parking trams, and they are very difficult on busses. I've seen people use them, though; they drive to the parks, drop off one adult and the stroller at the "drop-off" area, then circle around, park, and the rest of the party takes the tram and meets the adult with the stroller. For MK, the ferry works better than the monorail.

Unfortunately, generic baskets that can attach to any stroller are not normally sold in the US; there is little market for them, as almost all American strollers are sold with the basket already on. You can order them from stroller mfrs., but they run about $20 + shipping, and for a cheapie umbrella stroller, that's more than the cost of the stroller itself. You can, however, buy net bags to go on the back, or make a simple basket; I've made several. The clip-on umbrella will run about $7 from Graco; most baby stores have them.

For anyone who wants to make a simple basket: you need a mesh laundry bag, 3 yds of 1" polypropylene webbing, and a packet of heavy-duty snaps or sew-on velcro. Measure the area inside the stroller legs (above the flat-x cross brace), then subtract 2" from the size on each side. Cut that square, double, out of your mesh laundry bag, then cut 2 strips of webbing the length of each fabric edge, plus 3". Sandwich the 2 pieces of mesh between the strips of webbing, so that the webbing forms an edge binding, and zigzag stitch across it thoroughly. The extra 3 inches on each side of each corner will accomodate your snaps or velcro, to fasten the basket to the stroller legs. The mesh will stretch a bit under the weight of what you put in, so the basket will not be really flat. Also, to seal the cut-ends of the webbing, pass them *briefly* through a flame; the webbing will melt, sealing the raw ends so they don't unravel. (The doubling of the mesh is needed, because that size mesh is looser than the sort normally used for stroller baskets, it will stretch too much if not doubled. Regular stroller mesh is not sold in most fabric stores, and is very expensive when it is.)

Originally posted by disney fiend
I am thinking of getting either a double umbrella--kolcraft makes one, or a lighter weight side-by-side, such as the Graco duorider.

The kolcraft double umbrella has no basket, either, so we may not go with it. Let us know what you decide!

We have th Kolcraft double stroller and bought it specifically for WDW since you can't beat $50 at Target!!

It worked out fine for us. No, it doesn't have a basket, so I bought the netting which works great, and we also use a backpack which hung nicely on the handles.

I recommended you purchase the Kolcraft reclining Umbrella. well it was harder than heck to get, Last years model has been discontinued, they are coming out again just with a new fabric, I went everywhere and looked online every where....Strollers4less was sold out of the twin model. I would like to recommend an alternative. I ordered from Babyage.com. On tuesday at 11:15 am. The total inclusive of shipping was around $56 dollars. And Honest to god, It arrived the next day before noon. I only paid like $5 dollars flat to ship. So if you are on the East coast it comes really fast. By the way they told me it would take 3 to 4 days...

I know exactly how you feel about having lots of strollers and always seeming to need more! lol. Our DDs are the same age range as yours. Once we only brought the double stroller (had lots of shade and a basket) and rented a single in the parks for the older one. The double stroller was great for the airport, too. There is a company which will rent strollers for the week. They are a little pricey - but we are using them this time, because we don't want to buy yet another stroller just for this trip. And I want to be sure to get a comfortable one, clean with lots of storage, too. (When we rented in the parks before, some were good, others were hard/hot/dirty.) Also they deliver and pick up from your hotel - and you can use it for dinner, etc. (Our hotel is arranging this for us, but I'tt get the phone number if you need it - just PM me) Have a great time!!

We are leaving tomorrow with our three, age 5, 3 and 9 months. IMO, you WILL NEED strollers for all of them. Don't try to go without a stroller for any of them, even the oldest. We are bringing a single, regular stroller for the baby, since it is padded and reclines, and renting a doible for the older boys. Their double strollers handle great, but are not soft and don't recline. In my experience, umbrella strolelrs arent very comfortable or easy to push with those little wheels. Good luck!

I think you need strollers for all three :)

I agree with some of the previous posters suggestions. My preference is for a lightweight, side by side, double, reclining umbrella type for the two smaller ones and a regular umbrella for the big one. Stroller weight really matters when lugging on and off and out of things.

For us, when the older one feels like walking around the single umbrella folds small and light and we hang it from the double stroller.

We like the graco duorider for the price and you can get them new on ebay for around 80 bucks. You can also purchase some of the more expensive ones (peg, combi, etc.) new on ebay. Usually last years patterns at good prices.

Amazing how many strollers you can accumulate and still need to get more.

My other cheap suggestion if you go with umbrella strollers and they dont have cup holders, purchase some two dollar ones in the baby department at walmart. Sure helps with lugging the drinks around.

Renting them at magic kingdom never works for us because they dont recline and you have to get all the way from the ticket and transportation center to the park before you can get one. By then they are all walked out.

Have a great trip,

Jeanne disney fanatic and
mom to
daughters ages 13, 11, 8, 6, 20 months
and girl/boy twins age 4 months

We had 4 kids in six years and went to WDW several times with one single and one double stroller. Now, everyone is on foot except the youngest!!!

Don't worry about the baskets. I just hang a backpack on the handles-works fine. I would bring strollers for all three. If you decide to go to DTD or something,you will need them. Buy the same stroller (one double, one single), so that it doesn't matter who sits where. Kolcraft are lightweight and easy to fold up. IF you cannot find one wth sun protection (and I doubt that), just make sure the kids all have a few hats each(with the brim all around). Use squeeze breeze, sunscreen, and have them drink lots of water. Make sure to take advantage of EE, since all little kids are up early! Take your afternoon pool break/nap time and go out for the evening refreshed! I usually just give my son his bath /shower after the pool. When we get back from the parks at night we are just too tired to get the bath thing going and sometimes it just stirs them up again. Our son goes to sleep very easily at Disney. We pretty much all get into bed and put the TV on low (toon disney). He is out in five minutes! Also, don't pack too much for the parks. Only pack diapers, etc that you will need until your break and then replenish your bag.

just wanted to make sure you were aware that strollers are not allowed in most lines or buildings (exception for shops and restaurants). Since you siad this is your first trip with kids I wasn't sure you knew this. So... you might want to also bring some sort of sling/carrier for the smallest one for those times when you have to leave the stroller.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter