3 days in San Diego plan - what do you think?

HappyGrape

DIS Veteran
1. Saturday 1st of July - Old Town and wonder around, citi tour + US Warship Museum
2. Sunday – Zoo & Balboa Park
3. Monday Some of the beach/walking urban areas on Monday + Seaworld
First timers travelling 2 boys 7 and 10 and 3 adults.

What do you think about my plan, too much? Anything a must do that I have missed? I am trying to convince the rest of the group to cut our Disney stay for extra day at San Diego but for now - we only have 3 days.

Are you wanting some beach time? If so I'd plan at least a half day to relax at the beach. For your touring day, are you planning to walk or take a tour? I think walking around all day will get old with the boys (mine are the same age). I'd to the Midway, take one of the open air city tours (if that is what interests you) and then hit Old Town for dinner. There's not that much to do there. The zoo and Balboa park make a really nice day. Seaworld can take a whole day if you want to do every show/ride/etc. and you probably won't want to do a lot of walking afterwards, especially if you are doing DL afterwards. But if you are set on squeezing everything in, walking through the Gaslamp and a trip to the New Children's Museum would be nice too. Alternatively you could do that on your first day as well.

I was thinking about the hop on hop off tour that starts at old town
Not really beach time but walk around the area.

Thanks for your reply, this is very helpful

Given the ages of your boys, I'd keep the day at DLR instead of cutting it out for SD. You'll want that extra Disney day. It will give you a chance to take things at a more relaxed pace, re-ride any favorites, see shows/parades/fireworks/WOC, take more photos, meet more characters, etc. Summer at DLR is when you don't want to rush or feel pressured.

OK, we ahve decided on dropping off seaworld and warship museium

What do you think about this plan?

Day 1 arriving from LA early

La Jolla cove, La Jolla Village Lunch Check in, Mission beach/Belmont park in the evening

Day 2 Trolley tour with few stops. Coronado beach and Old town to be explored

Day 3 Zoo & Balboa park, drive back to LA

should we go to Mission Beach or Pacific Beach?

Your boys would absolutely love the USS Midway Museum.

And I'll edit to add - Pacific Beach has a higher concentration of bars frequented by the freshly minted 21 year old crowd (and those with fake IDs). Mission Beach, while still crowded with bars, has a bit more of a crusty beach bum feel and seems mellower. Both are beaches as a 37 year local I tend to avoid but Mission has Belmont Park and a great wooden roller coaster.

Last edited:
Mission Beach and PB are adjacent. If you do eind up in PB, your kids would love teh Baked Bear ice cream sandwich shop, you get to custom make ice cream sandwiches however you want. If you'd rather do the "boardwalk" games and rides etc then Mission Beach/Belmont park is nice. Laser Tag is fun for the kids, along with rock climbing wall, mini golf, "zipline", high rope area. THere is also a place nearby called Wave House where its kind of an open bar/restaurant area with FloRIder wave machines, although the big wave was closed I'm not sure if they re-opened it. Haven't been in a while. But great peopel watching area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!