3 Days in October?

3monkeys4me

DIS Veteran
We wont be visiting until October 2018 but Dh has to put time off in sometime in the next few weeks. We are looking at visiting for 3 days in mid. October. Probably a Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday but I have heard Mondays can be busy too so we may try to do a Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday. It would be Dh, our 3 kids (they will be 14, 12 and 8) myself and hopefully my sister and her two kids (15 and 13). We would also plan for 3-4 days in and around Tokyo. The 5 in my family will be spending 6-8 days in Osaka/Kyoto beforehand. We will likely stay in the Sheraton since we have status with them, unless we come across a great deal somewhere else.

My sister is a Disneyland vet, they have season passes and a lot of trips under their belt. My fam has been to Disneyland a few times and one trip to HKD. We may visit SDL for a couple of days a few months before or after TDL, just depends on how things shake out. My family has traveled a bit in Asia, it would be the first trip to Asia for my sister and her kiddos.

Anything we should think about when DH puts in his time off request. Unfortunately once his time off is requested it can be very difficult to make changes, even moving just one day so the dates will be pretty much set in stone at that point.

Thanks!

Since you didn't give your exact dates: Sports Day is the 2nd Monday of October and is a National Holiday. It will definitely up the crowds in TDR.

We are going this October and plan to be there Monday - Friday October 23-27. We check in Monday and check out to move on to Kyoto on Friday, so we are planning Monday - Thursday at tdr. We are staying at the ambassador hotel, using my dvc points.

Definitely plan week days in the parks, Oct is halloween time, and this year costume days are EVERY day during the Halloween celebrations rather than limited to specific dates. Weekends and holidays will be VERY crowded.
We went last Oct and did a Tues/Wed/Thurs/Fri and had a great experience. We did experience TDL closing early on our last day which meant TDS was a HOT MESS, but we got in, got dinner and watched Fantasmic and that's all we needed.

Thanks.

I did know about Sports Day and we will likely be in Japan then, but not TDR area. I had heard that parks were busy on weekends but didn't know if it was an avoid at all costs or avoid if you can or weekdays are just a bit easier type situation.

We don't have dates yet, my husband will put in for time off end of October or early November, whenever his name comes up on the list. But we will likely be in Japan from October 3rd or 4th through October 19th/20th or so. The tentative plan is to fly into Osaka and use that as our base for the first part of the trip, visiting Kyoto, Nara, Hiroshima and Universal Japan and then take the train to Tokyo and meeting my sister there around the 11th or 12th, spending a few days in and around Tokyo and visiting TDL then.

I will try to avoid the weekend days if we can and if it doesn't work out plan for it to be busy! We do have experience with max capacity days at other parks and while it isn't my ideal situation by any means a day at Disney is better than no day at Disney.

Thanks again!

If you've not been to USJ before, I would highly recommend staying at one of the hotels near the park if you get the chance. It might also be worth it to pay additional to get one of their special ride passes. I had a really good experience in USJ, I have several friends who were completely miserable because of crowds. I was there on a very low attendance day (no timed entry for Harry Potter area) but by lunch time, everything outside of the kiddie rides had hour long lines (or longer.) I think only passholders have re-entry privilege, but I had no problem just walking into the restaurant I wanted and didn't need a reservation. It was really nice. lol My daughter and I loved the cauldron cupcake.

USJ isn't as convenient as other areas of Osaka, but seemed to have much bigger rooms for the price than other hotels in Osaka. If you decide to stay in an AirBnB be somewhat cautious as several of my friends who live in Kansai say Osaka and Kyoto are in the process of trying to pass a law to keep large bags off local trains/subways/buses because it's been a huge problem for residents. I don't know if the law will go through or how it will be implemented, but it is something to be aware of.

I have not been to a universal park since the mid 90's and it was in California. I welcome all tips!

I was planning on buying the extra pass, I heard it was well worth the money. Since we will only have 1 day there I do want to make the most of it. I'll look into a hotel near Universal, maybe we will just do a night or two near there at the beginning or end of the stay. I am not opposed to spending a little more for convenience sake. We generally stay at Marriott or Sheraton properties near public transportation, but do branch out occasionally. We are planning on a few days in Singapore summer 2018 and if we do we will probably do US there too.

We travel pretty light, but I will be mindful of local laws about subways/trains and bags. I was planning on using the luggage forwarding service to move our stuff from Osaka to Tokyo. My sister isn't used to traveling and she will be alone with her kids so we are planning on meeting them at Narita. I have no idea how well she packs or how much stuff she is planning on brining with her but I figure the less bags we have to deal with the better. We will probably do the limo bus from Narita to our hotel .

I have not been to a universal park since the mid 90's and it was in California. I welcome all tips!

I was planning on buying the extra pass, I heard it was well worth the money. Since we will only have 1 day there I do want to make the most of it. I'll look into a hotel near Universal, maybe we will just do a night or two near there at the beginning or end of the stay. I am not opposed to spending a little more for convenience sake. We generally stay at Marriott or Sheraton properties near public transportation, but do branch out occasionally. We are planning on a few days in Singapore summer 2018 and if we do we will probably do US there too.

We travel pretty light, but I will be mindful of local laws about subways/trains and bags. I was planning on using the luggage forwarding service to move our stuff from Osaka to Tokyo. My sister isn't used to traveling and she will be alone with her kids so we are planning on meeting them at Narita. I have no idea how well she packs or how much stuff she is planning on brining with her but I figure the less bags we have to deal with the better. We will probably do the limo bus from Narita to our hotel .

I wasn't sure if you were thinking of doing AirBnBs since you might possibly have some hotel issues trying to get 3 children in a room with you. Some of the US higher end brands (like Marriott) will have larger rooms, but I'm not sure if they will allow 5 person occupancy. (and it varies by hotel/chain when a child counts as an occupant, it's really different from the USA, it can be as young as 6.) I've not stayed there but I would think for arrival, the Marriott in Tennoji is a decent location. It will be easy to get to from KIX and I've heard that area has really changed and become a lot more upscale. I admit, I usually just go to Osaka to visit friends, I prefer to stay in Kyoto. But if you like Marriotts I would look there and see if you would be able to find something that works. My husband has no vacation time for vacations, so most of my trips to Japan I've either been solo or more recently just with my daughter.

I know there is a Marriott near Tokyo Station. I've not stayed there either but I actually really like the Tokyo Station area. There are lots of places to eat, shop and it's super convenient for transportation. It's also a nice area to walk around. Tokyo Station/Shimbashi is my preferred area of Tokyo to stay in.

I've not used them, but there are also 1000 yen buses from near Tokyo Station Yaesu exit to Narita, which might be more economical for you when you meet your sister vs. trains or Airport Limo buses. (since you won't have luggage and are just going out to meet her) You can takyuubin to and from the airport. I usually takyuubin from the airport. To takyuubin to the airport you need to give yourself a 48 hour (I believe) leeway.

Since there is a delay with takyuubin, one thing you can do is: Stay X nights in Osaka, takyuubin your bags to Tokyo, take an overnight bag to an Osaka Universal Hotel and stay there, spend the day in USJ, either catch a late train to Tokyo or spend another night near USJ and then leave the next morning for Tokyo. When we went to USJ we only spent one night there and took a 5ish shinkansen from Shin-Osaka. But I wanted to try to get to my Tokyo hotel by 9. Your children are older than mine was.

I'd only been to US Orlando Pre-Island of Adventures, but my daughter was obsessed with riding the Jaws ride so we went to USJ. We stayed at the Hotel Universal Keihan Tower. The room was larger than I expected. We picked it for convenience and because it has an onsen on the top floor. I don't know if your family is interested in that, but you should at least go up since it's on the top floor and offers a lovely view of Osaka. We booked directly with the hotel and got a package that included room, park tickets, buffet breakfast, and one use of the onsen. The buffet breakfast was insane and had some unexpected offerings like: a chocolate fountain, cupcakes, off brand M&Ms, jelly beans, and cookies. I didn't get the NY theme as NYers do not generally eat cupcakes for breakfast. The Park Front is the closest hotel and there is also Hotel Kintetsu and Hotel Universal Port. Hotel Universal Port is the "furthest" away, but they were all SUPER close. The Keihan is not as fancy as the Tokyo Disneyland Hotel, but is much cheaper, I paid 1000 yen less for my room, onsen, 1 day park tickets, breakfast and express passes than just the 1 night at TDL Hotel.

USJ seemed smaller than TDL and Sea, but felt less crowded when we were there. The kiddie rides are well done, my daughter loved the cars, but all of yours might be too old. I would recommend trying to buy your Express passes as soon as possible (like when you first arrive in Osaka, even if you won't be going to the parks for a few days) The passes do sell out. We had a 4 pass with different rides on offer than the current 4 standard and I think paid 9000 yen total. I had a friend in Japan buy my Express Pass for me and then I gave her the money back when I saw her. Like with TDR try to go on a week day. There is a USJ crowd calendar, it's all in Japanese but I would still check it out. We ate in Azzurra di Capri. We didn't have an advance reservation, we just walked in and had no problem getting a table. We ate at a normal time too, like noon lol

On crowded days there is some sort of timed entry to Harry Potter. I'm not quite sure how it works since we were there at a quiet time and just walked in. But even during quiet times, by the time we were done with lunch Jaws had an hour long line and I didn't even check Forbidden Journey's line vs. most of the kid rides never got a line over 20 minutes. But not having timed entry was great. We watched the wand show which was in Japanese and English and another show which also had English. At least in Harry Potterland, there was a lot more English than in TDR at shows.

It's not that USJ is that far from Osaka, it's not. It's just you almost always have to transfer at Nishikujo because there are few direct trains from Osaka Station. The Yumesaki line, which is the line for USJ runs about every 15-20 or so minutes from my memory. So it's short trips, it's just lots of waiting for your connection sometimes and like most theme parks you can get more done in the first hour the park is open. We weren't even being as time conscious as possible and had no problem riding Jaws and Flight of the Hippogriff within the first hour, but coming from further away just makes it harder to be there for that 9 am opening.

One super nice thing about USJ is there are actual physical waiting areas near where the ride starts/ends where non-riders can wait. My DD is still not 48 inches, but USJ had an enclosed waiting area she could sit in and watch Harry Potter movies while I went on the ride. Since we had two express passes for it, I got to go on it twice. They also had an enclosed waiting area for Jurassic Park. I imagine most rides with a height line have them. USJ rides are wilder than TDR rides. So if your children are not ride people, they might not enjoy it as much. We didn't go back this year because DD scares easily vs. DD loved TDR and keeps asking to go back.

Thanks for all the information!

And I don't think any of the hotels in the Osaka area allow 5 in a room, we are just planning two rooms which has been pretty typical of our experience in Asia. Usually we have been able to get connecting rooms, most of the times they upgrade one room to a suite so we end up with a decent amount of space. Since my husband and I both have high status with both Marriott and SPG we have club access and it is so easy just to pop in for breakfast or a drink. I will admit that I will be a bit sad if we ever lose the status points, it has been really nice and I am spoiled now. When I priced out the hotels in Kyoto it was almost double (though a much nicer hotel) but we haven't really firmed up plans yet. I'll keep an eye on prices and probably book some that is refundable after of Feb trip to South Korea. Then switch to a non refundable rate once we purchase airfare if it is cheaper. We are basically trying to cram as much Asia travel into 3 years as we can, since we will be moving back to the USA mainland summer 2019. So we did Hong Kong last winter and we are doing Manila and Bangkok early fall. I am trying to sneak in a trip to Shanghai in December with the kids and then we have a family trip to South Korea planned in Feb. After that we have Japan next October. If I can make the budget work out I would love to squeeze Singapore in between SK and Japan but that one is fairly up in the air right now. We have a cruise booked out of Sydney in early 2019 and that will likely be the last trip we take. Since I am not sure we will ever get a chance to get back to some of these places I am trying hard to make it count.

That is a good idea about sending the luggage on to Tokyo while we stay near USJ. I was planning on just packing 2 days worth of clothes in my youngest daughter's suitcase since it is fairly small and sending everything else ahead of us leaving, but that would make the hotel switch even easier if we had less luggage to deal with. And thanks for the hotel recommendation, I will look into that one.

Do you happen to know where you buy the express passes, when I looked at the USJ website (it was several days ago) I was under the impression it had to be purchased at the park. I will plan to buy it ahead of time if we can.

My middle child loves thrill rides so I am sure he will love the rides at USJ. My oldest used to be very cautious but she went on pretty much everything at Ocean Park Hong Kong which really surprised me, so I think it can go either way with her. My youngest is pretty short and not tall enough yet for some of the rides. She is about 45 inches now, so we will have to see how she grows in the next year. She did do Space Mountain and the runaway train ride in HKD so she might be up for some of the scarier rides if she is tall enough. I am the chicken of the family.

Thanks for all the information!

And I don't think any of the hotels in the Osaka area allow 5 in a room, we are just planning two rooms which has been pretty typical of our experience in Asia. Usually we have been able to get connecting rooms, most of the times they upgrade one room to a suite so we end up with a decent amount of space. Since my husband and I both have high status with both Marriott and SPG we have club access and it is so easy just to pop in for breakfast or a drink. I will admit that I will be a bit sad if we ever lose the status points, it has been really nice and I am spoiled now. When I priced out the hotels in Kyoto it was almost double (though a much nicer hotel) but we haven't really firmed up plans yet. I'll keep an eye on prices and probably book some that is refundable after of Feb trip to South Korea. Then switch to a non refundable rate once we purchase airfare if it is cheaper. We are basically trying to cram as much Asia travel into 3 years as we can, since we will be moving back to the USA mainland summer 2019. So we did Hong Kong last winter and we are doing Manila and Bangkok early fall. I am trying to sneak in a trip to Shanghai in December with the kids and then we have a family trip to South Korea planned in Feb. After that we have Japan next October. If I can make the budget work out I would love to squeeze Singapore in between SK and Japan but that one is fairly up in the air right now. We have a cruise booked out of Sydney in early 2019 and that will likely be the last trip we take. Since I am not sure we will ever get a chance to get back to some of these places I am trying hard to make it count.

That is a good idea about sending the luggage on to Tokyo while we stay near USJ. I was planning on just packing 2 days worth of clothes in my youngest daughter's suitcase since it is fairly small and sending everything else ahead of us leaving, but that would make the hotel switch even easier if we had less luggage to deal with. And thanks for the hotel recommendation, I will look into that one.

Do you happen to know where you buy the express passes, when I looked at the USJ website (it was several days ago) I was under the impression it had to be purchased at the park. I will plan to buy it ahead of time if we can.

My middle child loves thrill rides so I am sure he will love the rides at USJ. My oldest used to be very cautious but she went on pretty much everything at Ocean Park Hong Kong which really surprised me, so I think it can go either way with her. My youngest is pretty short and not tall enough yet for some of the rides. She is about 45 inches now, so we will have to see how she grows in the next year. She did do Space Mountain and the runaway train ride in HKD so she might be up for some of the scarier rides if she is tall enough. I am the chicken of the family.

I confess, I am rather jealous. I would love to see more of Asia and the world in general. I've fallen in love with Japan though and it's been a great place to visit as a female solo traveler/mother with a young child. I also know with my dietary restrictions, Japan is hard enough, that I'm not sure how other Asian countries would be. (We're vegetarian.) My brother has been to Vietnam and really enjoyed it.

I use to have status on United and I loved getting to use the airport lounges for free. I definitely can understand why you enjoy having status.

We did that with our luggage when we went to USJ. We left Kyoto for USJ but sent our big bags to Tokyo. It made the trip to USJ quite easy because we only had 1 small bag. It also made it easy to then catch the train to go to Tokyo the next day. I am a huge fan of takyuubin since my friends who live in Japan introduced it to me.

I believe you can get them at Lawsons convenience stores. That is where my friend who lives in Nagoya got mine. If you needed help, I would talk to the concierge at my hotel. It's one of the pluses of staying in a nicer hotel, there are people to assist you.

In our case, I was comparing the Mitsui Premier Osaka to: The Royal Park Kyoto, the 3 Mitsuis in Kyoto and the place we ended up staying the Hana Touro Gion Hotel. All of which were cheaper than the Mitsui in Osaka. I tend to spend a little less on hotels in Kansai so that I can spend more in Tokyo because I know what I love. We did the Royal Park in 2016, it's a nice low end luxury hotel? Does that make sense? It's nicer than a business class hotel, but not super luxurious. The cafe next door had lovely french pastries and offered western breakfasts like oatmeal. It also had a quite good location. I think we paid $130 or $140 a night? This trip we paid a bit more and stayed in the Hana Touro. It's now my new favorite hotel in Kansai. It has a great location, lovely bathroom and every room seemed to have a private terrace. This was huge for me, since it gave me a place to go in the evening when my daughter was asleep. In Osaka, I've stayed in the Keihan, a lower end business hotel (Midousuji Hotel) I think the Flex Inn Shinsaibashi, Dormy inn Shinsaibashi (before a refresh) and somewhere else not far from DenDenTown (but I don't remember what it was and I think it is gone now), and something cheap and boring in Shin-Osaka. While it's the most convenient to the shinkansen I would highly advise against staying near Shin-Osaka, the hotels are very non-descript and so is the area. I've also looked at both Granvias but not stayed in them.

In Tokyo, my favorite hotel is the Tokyo Station Hotel. I know a lot of people talk about how luxurious the TDR hotels are, but compared to the Tokyo Station Hotel, they just pale. The Tokyo Station hotel will meet you at the NEX or shinkansen train and take your bags for you, they will also do that same service when you are leaving. I didn't takyuubin my suitcases last trip because I knew they would help me get everything onto the NEX. lol The beds are very comfortable, the location is great, and I love the breakfast buffet. I might stay there one night and commute to TDR and then do TDR for 1 night to get early entry. I've stayed in a lot of hotels in Tokyo but most are business ones I would not recommend for a family unless they were on a tight budget.

My DD is petite too. She's a similar height to your daughter, so Journey was a no go, as well as quite a few other rides at Sea. She loved the Finding Nemo ride though and the Ariel kiddie rides are better than other kiddie rides, we would have done the scramble ones a few times but it was pouring. Mine is scared by visuals usually more than the physical movements (except tower of terror), so she is fine with say Big Thunder Mountain and Splash Mountain, but I think would freak out on the Jurassic Park Ride which is dark and has dinosaurs trying to eat you. It's much more visually frightening than Brer Fox and Brer Bear trying to eat Brer Rabbit. So for us USJ while fun, is not as good a use of a day. I keep hoping she will be less scared of things because I really liked USJ lol

In terms of USJ, I just like that they have a nice waiting area for short or easily frightened people. So for example, if your youngest can't ride Forbidden Journey with it's 48" height line, you two can sit in the waiting area, or if she is comfortable being alone, you 4 could ride and she could wait for you in the waiting room. I think the new Dinosaur ride looks like a lot of fun but I think that also has a 48" height line. The car ride in the kiddie area might be fun for your kids. The cars are not on a track so there is a lot of control. Mine preferred the one meant for younger kids at the time, because she wasn't prepared to follow Japanese road rules. lol The course area for the bigger kid cars is quite extensive. It is a nice park, I just don't want to lose the day to it until my daughter will go on more rides. If I'm going to a theme park mostly for me, I want to go to Nagashima Spa Land XD;

I don't know if your children are accustomed to visiting temples and shrines, but I know with mine I found getting her a Goshuin Book and giving her her own point and shoot camera has made a worlds of difference. In 2017, we spent 2 hours or so visiting one temple and she never could have managed that in 2016. If you have the time when you go to Hiroshima, mine loved nearby Miyajima. She also liked Nara and feeding the deer. We rented yukata in Kyoto and that was a lot of fun. They have a huge variety of sizes.

Feel free to ask if you have any questions on activities and such. I've been to Japan 2x with my daughter and even more times alone. I've been to a lot of places on Honshu, though I've not yet done as much on the Japan Sea side of things. I keep trying to figure out how to work in a trip to Amanohasidate or Tottori, though our 2018 trip might involve spending more time in Kyushu.

@rkold

In Osaka we've been looking at either the Westin Osaka or The Sheraton Miyako Hotel. I know there is a Marriott in Kyoto that is supposed to be very nice, but it also seemed quite expensive. I was planning on keeping an eye out, to see if we can snag it for a good rate. There is also A Westin Miyako in Kyoto, but it is almost double the price of the one in Osaka. I don't mind paying a little more for location or a nicer hotel but we do need to keep the budget in mind. Especially since paying double may mean the difference between another trip or having to shorten a trip.

In Tokyo, it will likely depend on if my sister comes. Right now she is about 80% that she is coming so we are planning for that. If she does she will on a very tight budget so we will have 2 hotel rooms for the 8 of us, 3 adults, 4 teens and 1 older child so space is important. Right now, the plan is to stay at the Sheraton Grande, since we can get rooms that have 2 double beds and 2 single beds. I have found over the years all the kids sleep best when they have their own space and more sleep = less fighting and grumpiness. We do have a friend that stayed at the hotel last year and said it was very comfortable. Another friend stayed at the Hilton next door and said it was pretty comfortable and the location wasn't too bad for exploring more of Tokyo. If my sister isn't able to make it we will probably explore more options, including staying a few days at or near the DLR and a few days elsewhere.

Thank you for all of your tips. You have given us a lot to consider. We have several friends that have lived in Japan or visited (it is only a 3 hour flight for us, so most people we know have been at one point or another) but you gave me a bunch of new information to consider and I really appreciate it.

If you do decide to branch out into other parts of Asia I will say that I felt very safe in Hong Kong. It was super easy to get around using the MTR and even when my 13 year old and 11 year old got separated from us briefly on the MTR (They got on a train that the rest of the family missed!) I never feared for their safety. HDL is very small, but we loved it. We also loved Ocean Park, the rides are mostly big thrill rides and my youngest was too small but she loved seeing all the animals, especially the Pandas, and the aquarium. We also just had fun exploring the harbor and taking in the sites. I have not been very many other places yet, but husband lived in South Korea for awhile and has been to China several times and Vietnam. He is in love with Vietnam. I don't think we will get a trip in before we leave here but we are planning an extended Vietnam and Cambodia trip at some point, maybe not until the kids leave the house though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter