3 7DMT questions for those who have experienced it before

disneynanacat

Lovin' Disney Too!
Working on a plan for one of our MK days June 3rd. We've got BOG breakfast at 9:20 and some FP+ starting at 11:35 but I couldn't snag one for 7DMT this day. I'm playing around with Touring Plans and it's advising to do standby for it after our breakfast. It's estimating a 45 minute standby time. I normally wouldn't want to do a 45 minute standby but we've never ridden it before. We do have a FP+ for it on our 2nd MK day 6/6 and we're also doing evening EMH that day. Our party is 2 adults and 2 teens.

So, given that I have 3 questions.

1. Is the standby line interesting?
2. Is 7DMT an amazing ride that we'd probably want to ride more than once?
3. Will there be long lines for 7DMT during the evening EMH?

Thanks! Jenifer

Working on a plan for one of our MK days June 3rd. We've got BOG breakfast at 9:20 and some FP+ starting at 11:35 but I couldn't snag one for 7DMT this day. I'm playing around with Touring Plans and it's advising to do standby for it after our breakfast. It's estimating a 45 minute standby time. I normally wouldn't want to do a 45 minute standby but we've never ridden it before. We do have a FP+ for it on our 2nd MK day 6/6 and we're also doing evening EMH that day. Our party is 2 adults and 2 teens.

Thanks! Jenifer
1. The standby line is not really interesting if you're over age 4. It's got a few innovative elements, but nothing amazing.
2. It's a good ride- fun with good theming, but short. We like to ride it more than once if possible.
3. Yes, there are always long lines for 7DMT. This is because:
  • the ride is relatively new, and newer things at WDW always have the worst lines,
  • it's an actual coaster, which WDW needs more of, and
  • almost all ages can ride it (unlike the other major WDW coasters).
I don't agree with TPs advice to queue for this mid-morning. The line will be awful, and your time would be better spent on other attractions imo. If I didn't have a FP, I'd probably get in line for it at the end of the evening EMH that you mentioned. There will still be a line, but it will move faster than the daytime lines because no one will be using FPs.

Last edited:
you would be lucky if it was a 90 minute wait after finishing a 9:20 breakfast.

better off riding Big Thunder or Space Mountain twice than 7DMT. Don't make yourself crazy, it's fun, but the hype around it is bigger than the ride itself. Once is fine.

The queue is well themed, and the activities are fun. But it takes forever to get past them, as kids want to stay and play. Teens/adults won't be as tempted, though.

As you have FP for it, I think that would be enough.

Thanks! Jenifer
The standby line is not all that interesting.
It is a fun ride, I would certainly ride it more than once if given the opportunity, but as others have said, it is short, so in my opinion, not worth a long standby wait.
There will be a long line for 7DMT. There is always a long line for it. Typically, that line is an hour plus. I don't believe that you will experience a 45 minute wait for it after your breakfast. It is going to be around 10:00 when you get there. Over the next few days, why don't you use the My Disney Experience app on your phone to take a quick look at the wait time for 7DMT at 10:00 each day, and make note of what the standby time is. Then, keep in mind that Southern schools get out for the summer in May, so in early June, you will have locals in the parks, and they will likely be a bit busier than they are now. That should give you a fair idea of what the line will look like when you are there.

I think you are fine with the FP you already have for it. For the most part, the line is not very interesting for teens and adults. While I think it is a cute ride, I would not stand in line in order to ride it twice. I'm not sure the TP for the wait time is accurate. The rope crowd alone will result in at least a 60 minute wait. Having a 9:20 ADR at BoG will probably get you out by 10:00 if you are lucky. By 10:00 I would imagine the line will be at least 90 minutes (probably longer). It's a cute ride but just no worth a long line for us. On our last trip we did rope drop and quickly headed to 7DMT. We were not in the front of the crowd by any means and we weren't racing, but even heading straight there we had a 45 minute wait. That is longer than we would typically wait but our oldest son and girlfriend were with us and they hadn't done it before. Their verdict was that it isn't worth waiting that long for.

1. Yes.
2. I didn’t think it was all that, but people pay $70 to ride it all they can in an hour so for some people, it obviously is.
3. Yes, but not as long as the middle of the day,

The theming is very cute and worth seeing, but the ride is equal to Big Thunder Mountain minus tushie air time.

Thanks! Jenifer

I would highly recommend trying to get that 9:20 BOG down to a PPO breakfast. The PPO breakfast always lets us ride at least once (and normally 2-3 times) before the RD crowd hits. I would use the touring plans res finder and look to switch if possible. If not, you will still have a great time! Good ride, excellent theming, just a little short for such a long wait

It is geared toward families/kids, so not intended to be too wild!! We have not done SB so don't know about an 'interesting' wait! The SB lines always seem long to me.

This is the 'only' coaster that I can now ride as the others are too jerky. I always ride in front seat and it is a smooth ride. We enjoy it - always worth a FP for us.

I would highly recommend trying to get that 9:20 BOG down to a PPO breakfast. The PPO breakfast always lets us ride at least once (and normally 2-3 times) before the RD crowd hits. I would use the touring plans res finder and look to switch if possible. If not, you will still have a great time! Good ride, excellent theming, just a little short for such a long wait

I agree with this. Personally, I wouldn't go to breakfast at BOG at 9:20 am. You are giving up prime ride time for a not-so-great breakfast. Also, with the make-up of your travel party, I would not wait spend a lot of time waiting in standby for 7DMT. As others have said, though the effects are pretty neat when you are in the mine, it's a tame coaster aimed at families with younger children.

Had you considered doing rope drop and trying to be at the front so you can hoof it over to 7DMT right when it opens, ride it and then get over to breakfast at BOG which isn't very far.

Perhaps others can chime as we don't do sit down breakfasts after the park has opened, like above posters we maximize our riding in the morning when park is far less crowded, and then later on do meals and attractions that typically don't have longer lines, but I would think this may be doable.

Last edited:
I'm going to agree with the not so great timing of a 9:20 BOG ressie. That's valuable early park time. We only do BOG when it gets us in early or for lunch. I have found 7DMT lines to be much better during late EMH. I think the SBQ is very cool. It's fun to play with all the interactive elements. It's not fun to deal with the cranky people behind you while your children play with said elements. I will never understand the people who are in such a hurry to move up six feet so they can wait there instead.

I agree with the previous poster who suggested trying for it prior to your breakfast, unless you had Peter Pan planned for then. If you can be toward the front of the pack it’s worth a shot! I personally love the ride. But then I’m not a huge coaster fan. I like thunder too, but this is smoother.

well, it depends if your teens are girls or boys. If they're girls, then yes, i think you should do the standby line as I myself and other people, depending on their personaility, really enjoy the queue. then, get a fp for the secnd time. I really like the roller coaster, it's perfect for older people. Love the theming.

1. Yes. But for me, it's only interesting enough for waits less than 45-60 min.

2. With a short wait, I enjoy riding it over and over (or no wait, like at an Early Morning Magic).

3. Yes.

We rode it FP on our first MK day then our last night we rode it as our last ride of our trip. The park was open until 1am and the wait was next to nothing. It was cute to see the line and we enjoyed the ride enough to do it again after the first day with our FP but not enough to wait for very long (if your FP is for during the day then you might find it fun to ride again at night, totally different experiences for us).

Another vote to rethink the timing of your breakfast-we had breakfast there before the park opened and although it was nice, I wouldn’t consider it after the park opens.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter