3/20 Show Topic - Service at WDW

I more or less totally agree with you and also go annually. I think that the WDW magic has been slowly chipped away, and it appears this trend might be accelerating. I have noticed little things, such as on Splash Mountain last year there was a child's hat on Brer Bears club from the first day to the last day of the trip. These details quickly add up to cause a serious decline in quality.

To me, the restuarants especially have great service and the CM's in them are absolutely wonderful! Also, many of the resorts, such as the AKL still offer wonderful service. All of the negative threads and stories coming out (its far from just the DIS or even hard core Disney people) is seriously starting to make me feel bummed about my trip in August, which I have been counting down to from last August's trip! However, on the trip reports board there are still overwhelmingly positive reviews. Also, people coming back are reporting positive experiences.

Yeah, maintenance is down and crowds are poorly managed, but as of now, we still seem a ways off to a tipping point where people say forget Disney, and try something else.

One thing that I do see it impacting (which you reference) is my attitude about the parks in general and my excitement for planning a trip (which, as a planner, was part of the fun and enjoyment of a trip) - it makes it less fun and enjoyable to plan when there is more negatively surrounding the parks and a trip to the parks (be it reality or just perception) and knowing costs for it are going up

Also agree that the tipping point for just not going is not there - but we've been pushed off site for a while and moves like the charging for parking, etc. just make it harder for us to consider staying on site in the future

I once asked my sister how bad can women's rooms really be at WDW (one day a couple of Junes ago she walked in one and turned right around and walked out). I almost immediately regretted it! People really are pigs!!!

Many women have this asinine (and unfounded) belief that it is better to squat and "hover" above the toilet than actually sit on the seat. You can probably imagine what kinds of results this has. I have never heard of "death by toilet seat disease" and in all my almost 40 years of using public toilets and actually SITTING ON THE SEAT, I have had no issues. However, I often have to wipe down said seat with a wet wipe because of all the idiots who "hover" before me.

I thought that the team had some good thoughts... These guys live and breathe on these issues. The success of Disney is what Dreams depends on for their business to succeed.

I think Dreams Unlimited and the team have been wise in branching out and really promoting multiple high end luxury vacation destinations... Beaches and Sandals are the only two resort types I don't see them advocating, and that may be because of some of the strange 'couple' rules that Sandals has.

In any business... There are going to be seasons where innovation and excellence gets squashed. Plenty of business books out there about these cycles, and Disney is going to have to continue and evolve to meet the demands of this social media generation. They are thriving off the positive aspects of social media... 15 years ago - I would never see anyone's vacation photos from Disney World except for maybe a close friend or family... now I see dozens of family's trips ever year on Facebook alone. That keeps the Disney Brand in my head, and Disney hasn't spent a dollar in advertising to do so. This has led to Disney being a must-do destination even in this world where kids are more interested in watching YouTube videos than buying toys at Toys R US... However, is the dark side of social media allows issues like unclean bathrooms, bad cast members, and other negative experiences to 'go viral' and really make people reconsider dropping several thousand dollars on a vacation that will be nasty, hot and miserable.

I know Pete wants Disney to succeed like the rest of us, but it was really sad how negative that entire show was. It made me second guess my decision to become an AP this year with two trips on the horizon. However - the comments in this thread do shine a light on the good parts of a Disney Vacation. You can allow things like disgruntled cast members or nasty bathrooms ruin your experience, or you can lean in to the history, creativity, and innovation around you in the parks - and look on the bright side. Pete and the team do that often as well.. Just look at Craig when he gets nostalgic for the Disney of the early 1990s when he was a kid. Kevin getting emotional remembering his family splurging on the $13 a night at the contemporary back in the 1970s (even though they would sneak into your room during the night back then to count people)

I know Pete wants Disney to succeed like the rest of us, but it was really sad how negative that entire show was. It made me second guess my decision to become an AP this year with two trips on the horizon. However - the comments in this thread do shine a light on the good parts of a Disney Vacation. You can allow things like disgruntled cast members or nasty bathrooms ruin your experience, or you can lean in to the history, creativity, and innovation around you in the parks - and look on the bright side. Pete and the team do that often as well.. Just look at Craig when he gets nostalgic for the Disney of the early 1990s when he was a kid. Kevin getting emotional remembering his family splurging on the $13 a night at the contemporary back in the 1970s (even though they would sneak into your room during the night back then to count people)

Personally I think you just need to keep everything in perspective. At the end of the day, you are making a transaction of money for service with a company and you need to determine if the return is worth the investment.

To me it still is (even if I try to find ways to say money) but you can't relate it to years ago (not to mention that the way memories work is often to retain the positive and minimizing the negative)

Disney is still special to us - but it isn't nirvana or heaven or anything like that ... keeping it in perspective (while still holding it to a high standard) i think is best

Excellent presentation on pricing and reductions in service. I've been going to the World for many years. I remember in days gone by certain things. First, once you got into the park, food and souvenirs were pretty reasonably priced. If someone tossed a candy wrapper on the ground, there was a CM right behind sweeping it up. Rides didn't dump into a gift shop. "Crowded" wasnt really that crowded.

I've watched all these things change (not for the better), but kept going with a smile. Maybe it's the pay to park that's finally pushed me over the edge. We drive because it's too expensive for our family of 5 to fly. Sorry, the rooms are pricey enough without gouging us for parking. The food is way expensive for the quality. Forget souvenirs (especially the limited edition cups). The parks are definitely not as clean, but not trash filled as some posters have suggested. Hearing about the low salaries is just sad.

Hey Disney, give us a break, please???

I don't think there's any question that Disney quality has suffered in the areas of food, resorts, and parks over the last 10 or 15 years. That by no means should be interpreted as saying that Disney is horrible and people should spend their vacation dollars at Wal-Mart from now on. But let's at least be objectively honest about a very real decline in services and value.

With that being said, I think those who are local and frequent the parks may notice differences more so than those that go once a year.

Yes and, yes, there is a degradation.

We know what to expect and merely don't have to populate every second of our trip with an "experience". I will often make a plan of attack for our trips, but found that they have gone more awry over the past few years due to crowds/lines; I have yet to notice excessive garbage or trash.

It has to gotten to a point to lower our expectations with each subsequent visit (avg. 20X/year). Perhaps that is the mental conditioning Disney is trying to achieve.

If I go to ANYTHING once a week (or more) .. I would notice things that aren't as "good" as the first time I was there.

I've gone to WDW 3 times since 2014 for very short trips and while seeing the parks through my young kids eyes I haven't noticed anything bad. I get great service, I don't notice "peeling paint" or dirty restrooms.
Especially compared to a Six Flags theme park I frequented a lot in my youth (Great America).

It's expensive, it is crowded, but a lot of the things are still very magical especially when you have young kids. It still feels special. (So much I plan on going again in November, a mere 18 months after my last trip. I also plan on getting an AP so I can make two trips (affordably) before my daughter's 3rd birthday (and we have to start paying for her)).

As an adult, it is getting harder and harder to see that magic when you see nickel and diming and vast increases in prices (in things like charging for parking).

But when I think about it .. I remember long lines as a kid (80s) ..I remember boring, awful burgers at the QS locations. In a lot of ways Disney has gotten a lot better from the 80s -- more parks, better attractions, better (and more choices) of food, the addition of resorts, etc. etc.

I just had the nicest interaction with a CM at Backlot Express. An incredibly gracious older gentlemen. Good CMs are still out there folks!
It's nice to hear a good CM report! I was particularly alarmed while listening to the podcast that now a full 60% of front line CM's at WDW are temps, this could certainly explain the less-than-stellar opinions of CM's we've been hearing lately. It's also a sad state that they would rather hire in this manner to avoid paying a living wage, than to want to retain excellent employees who are loyal to their brand. The whole thing makes me sad.

I was particularly alarmed while listening to the podcast that now a full 60% of front line CM's at WDW are temps

I would be interested to know what this stat is based on.

By "temps" am I to think employees that are hired for fixed amount of time. 3 months? 6 months?

Or, by "temps" am I to think part-time employees?

I would be interested to know what this stat is based on.

By "temps" am I to think employees that are hired for fixed amount of time. 3 months? 6 months?

Or, by "temps" am I to think part-time employees?

Temps as in College Program interns. I think they do a six month(?) stint as a CM for college credit.

Ok, I'd still like to know where that 60% number is from...

According to officially released info, 12,000 students ANNUALLY fill CP spots.

There are 74,000 employees at WDW.

Assuming 12000/74000....we get just over 16% CP.

However, I don't think they work a full year, so if we assume a six month contract, then it's just 6% at any given time, not 60.

You have to take any statistics thrown out during these podcasts with a grain of salt. I don't know why the team doesn't simply research this stuff before making claims like that, but they do it all the time.

Temps as in College Program interns. I think they do a six month(?) stint as a CM for college credit.
There are several programs. You can do for example “spring” or “spring advantage” which is longer. So January to about July is Spring Advantage I believe. Works the same way in the fall.

It’s not always for college credit. Since they are paid at least minimum wage it doesn’t fall into the normal unpaid internship rules. You just have to be a college student during the semester before you apply, you don’t have to be attending or receiving credit during your program.

However, I don't think they work a full year, so if we assume a six month contract, then it's just 6% at any given time, not 60.

You have to take any statistics thrown out during these podcasts with a grain of salt. I don't know why the team doesn't simply research this stuff before making claims like that, but they do it all the time.
12,000 is likely the number that are in the program at any time not the total for all 5 program options. However usually the people in the program are your front line cast members.

This is the sort of information I was hoping someone would have. Thanks!

It’s not always for college credit. Since they are paid at least minimum wage it doesn’t fall into the normal unpaid internship rules. You just have to be a college student during the semester before you apply, you don’t have to be attending or receiving credit during your program.

12,000 is likely the number that are in the program at any time not the total for all 5 program options. However usually the people in the program are your front line cast members.

The article I read said that 50,000 students apply every year for the College Program, and only 12,000 get spots. Annually. Total.

The article I read said that 50,000 students apply every year for the College Program, and only 12,000 get spots. Annually. Total.
That article is from 2015. I’d have to imagine that number has gone up.

But when I think about it .. I remember long lines as a kid (80s) ..I remember boring, awful burgers at the QS locations. In a lot of ways Disney has gotten a lot better from the 80s -- more parks, better attractions, better (and more choices) of food, the addition of resorts, etc. etc.

I haven't been to the parks since 2002, and back then (in my opinion) the only QS food worth even considering was the turkey legs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!