Well, I've been a nurse for 19 years and have been around oxygen tanks for all those years, have seen them dropped, knocked over, tripped on, stepped on rolled into and generally batted around and have never seen a problem. I don't think I'd wave a match or a lighter near one, but transporting them in the car is probably no problem.

C.Ann....O2 is not flammable...it cannot 'burn' in it's prue state. There are three elements of fire that make up what is commonly known as the fire triangle. The three elements are: a fuel source, an ignition source and oxygen. O2 simply 'enriches' the atmosphere to support commustion. You will be fine...the thing you should pay the most attention to...is to repect the valve stems of the cylinder (where the O2 comes out)....of all the accidents revolving around pressured gases....having a valve get broken off...can turn a cylinder into a missle. So, Drive carefully...as you normally would...do not focus on the cargo...securely place the cylinders (with the valve ends TOWARDS the passenger areas of your van) and you'll be just fine.

C.Ann, check into getting a second machine at the lake cabin, I know my MIL did not have to move her machine when she moved , she just called another provider but I don't know if they have a limit as to how many machines you can get for insurance purposes I guess, and the transporting the portable tanks is not a problem , FIL used to stick them in the trunk and believe me, he got rearended with the tanks in the trunk and nothing happened so I wouldn't worry about that.

My DFIL takes his tank everywhere with him in the car. Nothing to worry about C.Ann. Just relax and enjoy yourself up at the lake. :D

I agree with the others, C.Ann. With all that's been on your tray these last few days, no wonder everything is so crazy to you!

I freaked out when my Dad had to use oxygen for his emphysema also, but it turned out not to be as scary as I thought.

Hang in there, girl. It's gotta get better!

Go to the lake....put your feet up....let somebody take care of YOU...and don't worry about the O2. In my hospital nursing days I have seen them fall off of stretchers, get kicked to the floor by patients and many other mistreatments and never saw the tough old cannisters have a problem!!! No worries!!!! Go!!!

Wow, goofy! You're both funny and so knowledgeable about scientific matters! Professor Goofy!! ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter