21st Birthday At Disney Advise?

Katlynn Woodward

Earning My Ears
Hello all. I just moved to Laguna Beach from New York, and I turn 21 on October 20th. I bought a one day 2 park pass to Disneyland for my birthday. I've never been before, and Halloween is my favorite holiday so I really wanted to be able to do something cool. Since I've never been, I don't know what I'm going to be doing or where I should go, especially since its only a one day trip. I couldn't get tickets to Mickeys Halloween party it sold out. I'm going with my roommate who is 18 and has been to Disney a few times before. I'm not much of a drinker, so my plan was to spend the day at Disney, and the evening at California Adventure. I really enjoy spooky scary stuff and thrills. I'm also a big Pixar fan and love animation as well. Thanks in advanced for the advice!

Hello all. I just moved to Laguna Beach from New York, and I turn 21 on October 20th. I bought a one day 2 park pass to Disneyland for my birthday. I've never been before, and Halloween is my favorite holiday so I really wanted to be able to do something cool. Since I've never been, I don't know what I'm going to be doing or where I should go, especially since its only a one day trip. I couldn't get tickets to Mickeys Halloween party it sold out. I'm going with my roommate who is 18 and has been to Disney a few times before. I'm not much of a drinker, so my plan was to spend the day at Disney, and the evening at California Adventure. I really enjoy spooky scary stuff and thrills. I'm also a big Pixar fan and love animation as well. Thanks in advanced for the advice!
Moved you to the DLand board. :)

You’re welcome! :-)

We just went to the parks on Sunday. Set up the Disneyland app before your park visit.

Try to arrive to enter as soon as the parks open and buy the MaxPass to get your FPs digitally. After booking a few FPs in the morning, we chose a late evening Haunted Mansion FP. Every 90 minutes or so we added on another FP. So for the last couple of hours in DL, we had 4 FPs to use.

We were impressed with MaxPass and got a lot done even though the park was fairly crowded and we spent most of the day in DL.

Since you love Pixar, you could make reservations for Lamplight Lounge. They have reservations and walk ins. They have cool non-alcoholic drinks as well.

What kind of stuff would you like to focus on; rides, atmosphere, etc?

Pixar pier and Carsland at DCA will be a must for you so I would probably start there. Single rider lines are a good way to save time if you and your roommate don't care about riding every ride together. There's a list of rides with single rider option on Disneyland website. Space & Splash mountain single riders enter through the exit line then loop around to the loading area.

If you like thrills, definitely try to go Guardians of the Galaxy during the day, then again at night for Guardians of the Galaxy- Monsters After Dark. They change the storyline at night specifically during Halloween time.

At Disneyland, they change Space Mountain to Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy specifically for Halloween too.

I don't think you can dress up in full costume if you are not going to the Halloween party, but you could "Disneybound" as your favorite character. This is where you wear normal clothes but the color scheme and accessories resemble a Disney Character. Look it up, there are some great Disneybound ideas!

And don't forget about all the Halloween food! You can download the Disneyland food guide here
`
https://secure.cdn1.wdpromedia.com/...halloween-food-beverage/food-guide-dl-rev.jpg

and the DCA food guide here

https://secure.cdn1.wdpromedia.com/...alloween-food-beverage/food-guide-dca-rev.jpg

Have fun and Happy Birthday!
Kriss :tink:

Hi and welcome to the disboards! If you like Pixar I second the recommendation for Lamplight Lounge. Reservations are somewhat limited as they mainly take walk-ups, so don't be discouraged if you can't snag a reservation. Note that there is a separate menu for the bar area (appetizers only) and the main dining area (full menu).

I know you said you aren't a huge drinker, but if you did want to have a celebratory 21st bday drink, you could also check out Carthay Circle Lounge. They do allow people under 21 (just can't sit at the bar). I love the classy atmosphere, Walt Disney decor, and they have some nice appetizers too.

ETA: Carthay Lounge is walk-up only. There is usually a small line of people waiting. It usually takes about 10 minutes or so, depending on how the line is... but trust me, it's worth it!

Last edited:
Be sure to stop by one of the stores when you first get there and get a Bday button!! Also for dressing up you can getaway with a lot these days. If you look at shopdisney it will give you an idea of some ideas of how you can dress.

Have fun!

I went to Disneyland for my 21st birthday this past July! It was so fun! I didn't get drunk or anything (which you really can't because the drinks are so expensive and pretty weak lol...) but just got myself two birthday drinks and my family and I spent our time together in my happiest place on earth :drinking1 I would DEFINITELY do Lamplight Lounge and Carthay Circle!
Have fun!

Based on the first few posts, I'm guessing you have some WDW experience? If so, this classic thread will give you some great information about the similarities and differences between WDW and DLR so you can get an idea about what to expect: A DLR Guide for WDW Vets. The advice to be at the parks for rope drop is good -- you can get so much done at DLR in the mornings! This weekend is supposed to be pretty busy, so getting to the parks early will be to your advantage. Download the free Disneyland app and start getting used to navigating and using it. Have a credit card on file so that you can get MP as soon as you go through the gates and so that you can use Mobile Ordering throughout the day. MP comes with free PhotoPass -- get lots of photos of your special day! There are some great video tutorials on YouTube on how to use MP -- you might want to look at some before Saturday. Look on the entertainment schedule for the Pixar Play Parade in DL -- fun for a Pixar fan. Do you like the movie "Cars"? You might want to catch the neon lighting on Rte. 66 in Cars Land -- just like being in the movie. It happens just after sunset/dusk. (Google the time for sunset on Saturday and be on Rte. 66, around Flo's is good, about 10 minutes beforehand -- then wait for the magic to start!) Don't miss Paint the Night in DCA -- that is a really great parade! If you want to see F!, try to get a dining package (Hungry Bear to go meal is the least expensive and most flexible -- you can order off the regular menu or dining package menu for the dining package price) for the best view with the least wait. F! at DL is really good -- that might be a really fun way to celebrate your birthday. Have a great day in the parks!

Since you like Halloween, I recommend being at DCA at night. There's a headless horseman statue that lights up and the voice of Oogie Boogie gets really loud.

You may want to order a special birthday drink at Carthay Circle lounge. They have non alcoholic options for your companion.

In Disneyland plan to ride Haunted Mansion. The lines can be very long, so you may want to get a fast pass for that. MaxPass is an add on that makes it easy to grab fast passes from your smart phone.

If you have time go to the Grand Californian Hotel and check out the lobby gingerbread "house". You can do that after the parks close.

Since you are going so soon, it will be difficult to make any reservations for meals/shows. Just go with the flow and have fun.

I also recommend using single rider entrance where possible. You will wait in line with your friend, but ride the ride in separate vehicles. This often saves a lot of time if you can't get a fast pass for something.

As far as spooky/scary goes- no. Sorry :( Disney works to stay pretty family friendly with their Halloween. I agree that the scariest thing is the headless horseman statue at night in DCA. Thrill rides are GOTG & Incredicoaster. RSR is definitely worth doing as well but is one level of thrill down from the other 2 in my book. And I totally concur with MP! DCA was an absolute zoo late afternoon & evening when we did it on the first Fri party night this year!

Hello all. I just moved to Laguna Beach from New York, and I turn 21 on October 20th. ... I've never been before, and Halloween is my favorite holiday so I really wanted to be able to do something cool.

Hey! Like you, Halloween is my favorite holiday. Since you're relatively new to the area, I suggest two things:
1. LA's Haunted Hayride. While not especially scary, the overall production is fantastic. It's in Griffith Park.
2. The West Hollywood Halloween party. This is perhaps the best Halloween party in the world; certainly it's the best I've ever been to. 500,000 - 600,000 people come out for it. It's an absolute blast and absolutely free. You'll see some of the best costumes of your life there. I promise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter