20th Century Fox Acquisition

hertamaniac

DIS Veteran
When I worked for a publicly listed technology company, we were very heavy on M & A. Not necessarily to integrate the technology into our product line/offering, but more of a block move on our competitors.

I think this may be a wallet game. We had a large amount of reserve capital, which Wall Street rewarded us, but we suspected our competitors couldn't afford to match our M & A.

It's just my theory on why Disney is entertaining this.

There's so many individual reasons, including this, that it almost feels like a no-brainer for Disney.

I haven’t had a chance to dig around for myself much but as this is from my uber Star Wars fan in the family - apprenently Lucas had negotiated to own all subsequent movies etc, but Fox owns the rights to A New Hope or something like that.
It was mentioned in context of why the theatrical release of the original trilogy had not been rereleased.

It just made me wonder if that factored as much as the Marvel IP in the purchase.

The main reason for the acquisition is as clear as the urine stream of a man who drinks 3 gallons of water a day. Disney is gearing up to start a streaming service that rivals Netflix.

With Fox, Disney adds to its own extensive library of content. And soon, it will all be available for you to stream to your tablet, phone, or television for the small fee of $9.99 per month. (Well, the price isn’t known just yet. But it’ll be comparable to Netflix.)

This isn’t speculation. Disney has been openly telling everyone about its plan for many months. The ESPN streaming service will be available in Spring 2018, and the larger Disney streaming service will be available in 2019.

I do speculate that all the “little” content providers will now start scrambling to find a home. (You know, smaller but somewhat popular cable channels, etc. They are going to be on the outside looking in. And they’ll need a place to stream.) This will allow the two giants - Netflix and Disney - to gobble up even more content at a decent price. So don’t view Fox as the final piece of the puzzle.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!