2020 runDisney Virtual Summer Series

This is my fourth year doing the summer virtual races and I just completed my second year for the Star Wars virtual. Every year when I came on here or the runDisney Facebook page to look up info on them, there were people dissing the races since they were virtual. I am definitely seeing less of that this year. Maybe now people will realize that some of us can’t fly to WDW, pay for a hotel, tickets, etc but still want to actually do a race on their own terms and aren’t just “buying” the medals.

There is no need to enter your time to receive your medal. There is typically a link on the RunDisney site that you can follow to input your name and time to generate a printable certificate of completion, if you like.
This is what I was getting at a few days ago. Right now you can download a blank finisher certificate for each of the races, what I don't see is the typical link where you can enter your name and finishing time before you print them out. As far as I can tell it looks as though we are only going to get blank ones this year.

I'm sorry if this has been asked already. This is the first time I have ever registered for a virtual race. Will Disney simply send us the medals sometime after the virtual races end on August 31? Or do I need to submit something in order to receive the medals? I received my confirmation e-mail, but could not find any information regarding receiving the medals. Thank you so much!

I'm sorry if this has been asked already. This is the first time I have ever registered for a virtual race. Will Disney simply send us the medals sometime after the virtual races end on August 31? Or do I need to submit something in order to receive the medals? I received my confirmation e-mail, but could not find any information regarding receiving the medals. Thank you so much!
You will receive the medals automatically, you don't need to do a thing. We have no way of knowing when though. Last year people started receiving them in July, but shipments varied widely over several months. This year is a complete unknown due to the Covid-19 situation. The race dates are completely different (all start now instead of monthly), so Disney could very well be packaging the medals to send immediately. We just don't know.

I was only going to do 'bib only' for the Disneyland Paris weekend but now that I can't do the virtual and our Greece trip was cancelled because of Corona; I'm doing a whole package in September which means (as long as it takes place) we get our race entry now.

I think DLP bib only sales should be available in June.

Fingers crossed that September will still go ahead. We are booked for Paris as well!

Thanks for sharing the response they sent you. I too have provided negative feedback Re: no international shipping for 2020 Star Wars Virtual Half to no avail. The most I received was "sorry we disappointed you".

Too bad runDisney won't open up the fall Virtual 10K for Club runDisney members to everyone. It was a perk of the membership but it would be nice if everyone could do it, considering the circumstances.
Agreed, and being that more races are becoming virtual. Races and marathons are getting cancelled through the early part of the summer here. Definitely looking for 10k and up.

runDisney will send you the medals. No need to submit anything. As to when they will send them nobody knows this year.

This will be my 3rd year doing the virtual races. In both 2018 and 2019 I received all the medals in early June. In 2018, I also registered my nephew for one of the races in late July. His medal arrived in late September.

With the sudden popularity of virtual runs, I thought of a few ways Disney can accomodate more people:

Open up the fall virtual 10K that is for the Club runDisney people. But offer a varient on the medal so the people who paid for club membership will still get something special.

Create more virtuals but make them "free". Create a theme, let everyone go in and print a bib, record their time and print a certificate for free, but close the event by a certain date. Offer an option to purchase the medal as a extra and give a future date that it would ship once the event is over. That way the people who really want a medal can still pay and Disney can work to get more medals and be able to gauge supply and manage expectations on when they will ship. People who are while waiting for live racing to return will feel like they have something (either the certificate or the medal) and it will build up goodwill since anyone who wants to can get in without it selling out and Disney can better manage the supply of how many medals they need. Only downside is I bet it takes a while to design and manufacture new medals.

This is what I was getting at a few days ago. Right now you can download a blank finisher certificate for each of the races, what I don't see is the typical link where you can enter your name and finishing time before you print them out. As far as I can tell it looks as though we are only going to get blank ones this year.
That's a little disappointing that you can't input your info this year. I just did the Star Wars Virtual and that was an option. Also, does anyone know what the "Virtual Series Keepsake" is for those who registered for the challenge?

That's a little disappointing that you can't input your info this year. I just did the Star Wars Virtual and that was an option. Also, does anyone know what the "Virtual Series Keepsake" is for those who registered for the challenge?
It was a Chewbacca Medal Pin.

It was a Chewbacca Medal Pin.
No, I mean fior the summer. Under the summer challenge it mentions a virtual gift. I also think the Chewbacca pin was only for people doing the Kessel challenge because I didn't get that with my medal.

No, I mean fior the summer. Under the summer challenge it mentions a virtual gift. I also think the Chewbacca pin was only for people doing the Kessel challenge because I didn't get that with my medal.
Idk last year it was a commemorative marvel 80th anniversary token

I don't remember runDisney announcing it beforehand. Two years ago (the Incredibles), the extra gift for those that bought the entire series was an Incredibles-themed ice pack (very small) and an Incredibles-themed workout band.

As others have noted, the challenge keepsake changes each year. It's a safe bet that it will be themed to the parks in some way since the overall theme is attractions. We probably won't know until people start getting their challenge medals. If previous years are any indication and we all know this year is different, challenge medals will begin to arrive in June.

What are some ways you all are making the virtual runs more "magical"? Do you set up the Disney mile markers? Do you wear costumes? If you live in a city, how do you bring Disney to you?

What are some ways you all are making the virtual runs more "magical"? Do you set up the Disney mile markers? Do you wear costumes? If you live in a city, how do you bring Disney to you?

If I end up doing my 5Ks as longer than 5K, then I will probably run past the local Disney store (it's a little over 2 miles from me, so I can't do there-and-back as a 5K ... but I actually ran past it this morning). I may even plan one to run past all the Disney on Broadway shows.
But mostly my plan is to "dress up" for each race as if I was doing an in-person Disney race. I never do full costumes, I do DisneyBounds, so it's less awkward to run in that around people. But I think some sort of costume is a good way (for me at least) to bring some magic to the runs.

I've been toying with a potential solution for the Finisher Certificates. If you have image editing software and do a search for free Disney Fonts, you can add your name and time to each certificate before printing them. It's not ideal, as the certificates you download are in .pdf and rather small. The import into my editing software resulted in a mere 3.75 x 2.65 inch image, but it was 300 pixels per inch. What I did was increased the image to 8 x 5.6 while lowering the pixels per inch to 200 in the hopes to preserve some of the image quality. I added my DIS screen name in an appropriate font (no time yet) and did a test print at the 8 x 5.6 size. The image was completely acceptable for my needs. I've attached my test .jpg if you're interested.

2020_virtual_5k_aug20_certificate.jpg

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter